Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It should be noted (at least watching the UW/Bama' game again) that Vita Vea played one of the OLB/DE spots and he was 300+ lbs I believe, so it's not out of the question guys like Lawrence, Abiara, and even current guys like Ojomo and maybe Collins can play it.  I bet that's where we see Jordon Thomas as well.

I don’t think he ever played OLB, at least not consistently. He would play IDL when they ran a 2-4-5 and then move to DE when they ran a 3 man front. This is likely how Collins will be used. 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we get that and have just 1 or 2 spots left do we take a transfer or save for 22'?  Wouldn't mind finding an OL to bring in.

My guess is we miss on at least one of those names and have 2 additional transfers. Fud or Macklin would be able to give a much better idea of numbersr though

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Jaggers, geez. I'll take one of Lawrence or Abiara because I guess we fucking have to do so. Getting both will almost immediately be regretted. I know some will vehemently disagree, and I hope they're right. 

Abiara I agree. Big time JAG. I am much higher on Lawrence with this staff. Hes a dude Herman takes and we dont hear about for 2 years till he portals, he can be developed with the new staff

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Jaggers, geez. I'll take one of Lawrence or Abiara because I guess we fucking have to do so. Getting both will almost immediately be regretted. I know some will vehemently disagree, and I hope they're right. 

I would much rather grab Lawrence than Abiara, and I agree we'll regret not having a space for a really damn good player in 22 because we took both of these guys in 21.  On the other hand, Sark is right that we're thin at DE/OLB and need numbers.  At least he's throwing numbers at a true need instead of Herman taking a bajillion receivers out of HS, then signing more JAG grad transfers at the spot only to still suck at WR.

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

My guess is we miss on at least one of those names and have 2 additional transfers. Fud or Macklin would be able to give a much better idea of numbersr though

I don't have any info on signee numbers. That shit is a nightmare to track.  @Fud's doing the Lord's work tracking it. I assume he has a spreadsheet or something he updates, because it's pretty impossible to keep straight due to the 5 back-counting rule.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we get that and have just 1 or 2 spots left do we take a transfer or save for 22'?  Wouldn't mind finding an OL to bring in.

We're likely going to have 5 or 6 transfers by the time spring practice finishes, and the players see how the new staff shakes out with playing time, depth chart, scheme, alignment, grades, S&C expectations, etc. I'm sure somebody can run the numbers to see how many players usually leave after a new corch takes over.

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

We're likely going to have 5 or 6 transfers by the time spring practice finishes, and the players see how the new staff shakes out with playing time, depth chart, scheme, alignment, grades, S&C expectations, etc. I'm sure somebody can run the numbers to see how many players usually leave after a new corch takes over.

Speaking of - Tyler and Green both just hit the Portal

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Definitely feels like if aggy couldn’t close the deal on the visit with all their on-field success this year, then he’ll probably end up to the good guys. 

I'm getting the same vibe on this deal.

Get him on campus let Sark break it down for him,  I think he's ours. 

14 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

That doesn't affect how many spots we have, because the limit is the 25 signee rule, not the 85 man scholarship limit.

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Never understood the Willie Tyler take...dude looked like Javonne Shepard if he gave less of a fuck (Which says a lot cause javonne gave negative ten fucks)

I remember railing against Willie Tyler being a take only to see Texas offer him shortly after eating crow.  Turns out it was simply that Herb Hand's a fucking dumbass. He didn't have the feet for Tackle, and it's really hard to be effective inside when you're 6'7.  

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It should be noted (at least watching the UW/Bama' game again) that Vita Vea played one of the OLB/DE spots and he was 300+ lbs I believe, so it's not out of the question guys like Lawrence, Abiara, and even current guys like Ojomo and maybe Collins can play it.  I bet that's where we see Jordon Thomas as well.

They also run traditional three man fronts, that's what I'm expecting we'll see here

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

That doesn't affect how many spots we have, because the limit is the 25 signee rule, not the 85 man scholarship limit.

Fudd asked 'do we take a transfer or save for 22?' , which is obviously asking about the 85 man limit, not the 25. I'm no expert on the numbers, but I suspect we'll load up as many as we can this year.

Just now, Hornlover said:

Fudd asked 'do we take a transfer or save for 22?' , which is obviously asking about the 85 man limit, not the 25. I'm no expert on the numbers, but I suspect we'll load up as many as we can this year.

No. That's about the 25 limit. Transfers count as signees, so every transfer we take this year will be one less HS player we can take in the 22 class. 

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You don’t think they have some nice o’tooles?

52 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Abiara I agree. Big time JAG. I am much higher on Lawrence with this staff. Hes a dude Herman takes and we dont hear about for 2 years till he portals, he can be developed with the new staff

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I would much rather grab Lawrence than Abiara, and I agree we'll regret not having a space for a really damn good player in 22 because we took both of these guys in 21.  On the other hand, Sark is right that we're thin at DE/OLB and need numbers.  At least he's throwing numbers at a true need instead of Herman taking a bajillion receivers out of HS, then signing more JAG grad transfers at the spot only to still suck at WR.

I don't have any info on signee numbers. That shit is a nightmare to track.  @Fud's doing the Lord's work tracking it. I assume he has a spreadsheet or something he updates, because it's pretty impossible to keep straight due to the 5 back-counting rule.

Multiple people have hinted that Lawrence has off-field shit, which makes a borderline take pretty jaggerish to me. Maybe that's all hearsay and there's nothing there, but it adds risk to a riskier take. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Multiple people have hinted that Lawrence has off-field shit, which makes a borderline take pretty jaggerish to me. Maybe that's all hearsay and there's nothing there, but it adds risk to a riskier take. 

Could definitely see that, makes sense with the kansas commitment as well..Quay in the same class definitely lends credence

I figured I'd go back and try my hand at the math on how many spots we have available for 2021. A few things I'm not sure about that maybe somebody can help me with 247 doesn't list Calvin Anderson (2018 class) and Gabe Watson (2021 class) but list Parker Braun (2019), Tarik Black (2020), Schooler (2021), Dunn (2021) and Thornton (2021) are there any others missing besides Anderson and Watson that we need to account for? Also I am not sure how awarding walk on players such as Luke Brockermeyer (2018) and Kai Money (2019) scholarships effects counting against their respective class years so I will leave them out currently until we get further clarity.

2017 - signed 18 players for 18 total counters

2018 - signed 27 players (9 EE) + 1 transfer (Anderson) = 28 total - 5 counting towards 2017 = 23 counters

2019 - signed 26 players (9 EE) + 1 transfer (Braun) = 27 total - 2 counting towards 2018 = 25 counters

2020 - signed 20 players (8 EE) + 1 transfer (Black) = 21 total - 0 counting towards 2019 = 21 counters

2021 - singed 18 NSD1 + 4 transfers (Schooler, Watson, Dunn, Thornton) + 2 commits (Ibraheem, Lee)  = 24 with the ability to take 5 more counting 4 back to 2020

30 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think you have them mixed up, Abiara was the one with the off field issues he was arrested during the season for some kind of criminal trespass but Gerry said the charges were dropped. I haven’t seen Lawerence mentioned anywhere as having off field issues, he’s biased but Justin Wells called him a high character kid so take that for what it’s worth. 

12 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

So a transfer in ‘21 counts against the ‘22 class? Trying to follow the logic

Not necessarily. A transfer counts against the current 25, but it does take away from how many guys you can take in the next year.

Say you want to take 30 in the 22 class, but had 21 counters in 2021. You can't take 30, only 29. Since we had a craptastic transition class in 2021, and 22 is fucking loaded in Texas, any transfers is going to eat into our 2022 class.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

So a transfer in ‘21 counts against the ‘22 class? Trying to follow the logic

I’m going off Fud’s numbers earlier, which I read as saying we’re cutting into 2022 signees with every guy we take. 

Basically, You can only sign 25 guys each year, but you can back count up to 5 signees to the previous class if it was below 25 signees. So if you sign 21 guys in 2021, you can then sign 29 guys in 2022 (25 allotted for 2022 + 4 back counting to 2021 because you only signed 21 that year). 

So every transfer, HS recruit, etc. we sign in 2021 is one less guy we can add to our 2022 class, which will likely be a more talented player because transition class vs. new coach bump class (and hopefully a double digit win season in 2021). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Not necessarily. A transfer counts against the current 25, but it does take away from how many guys you can take in the next year.

Say you want to take 30 in the 22 class, but had 26 counters in 2021. You can't take 30, only 29.

Your numbers are wrong. 25 is the limit, so you’d have to take 21 guys in the 2021 class in order to be able to sign 29 guys in the 2022 class. 

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I believe walk on scholarships are counted if awarded within the first 2 years on campus for counting purposes.

Correct. 

Just now, HtownHorn said:

You are right. My math is wrong. You love stalking me.

Stalking you? lol You incorrectly answered someone who asked me a question. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

I think you have them mixed up, Abiara was the one with the off field issues he was arrested during the season for some kind of criminal trespass but Gerry said the charges were dropped. I haven’t seen Lawerence mentioned anywhere as having off field issues, he’s biased but Justin Wells called him a high character kid so take that for what it’s worth. 

I'll doublecheck but not all off the field issues are criminal. If a guy has a family problem and his grades collapse via the distraction, is that a low character person? What about if he accidentally gets his girlfriend pregnant and they don't handle the shock of that well? Shit like that could be off-field and causing problems. I think of a couple of the JAGs from San Antonio when Brown was running things along these lines. Wilcoxon and the little, speedy TB from down that way were both risky takes with potential off-field issues and sure enough, the off-field stuff bit them in the ass. 

That said, I might be mixing them up because, in my mind at least, they're JAG 1 and JAG 2. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'll doublecheck but not all off the field issues are criminal. If a guy has a family problem and his grades collapse via the distraction, is that a low character person? What about if he accidentally gets his girlfriend pregnant and they don't handle the shock of that well? Shit like that could be off-field and causing problems. I think of a couple of the JAGs from San Antonio when Brown was running things along these lines. Wilcoxon and the little, speedy TB from down that way were both risky takes with potential off-field issues and sure enough, the off-field stuff bit them in the ass. 

That said, I might be mixing them up because, in my mind at least, they're JAG 1 and JAG 2. 

Jerrell Wilkerson ? Think he had a kid and moved back to SA if memory serves.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CTJ be like:

Hits Close To Home GIFs | Tenor

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

I figured I'd go back and try my hand at the math on how many spots we have available for 2021. A few things I'm not sure about that maybe somebody can help me with 247 doesn't list Calvin Anderson (2018 class) and Gabe Watson (2021 class) but list Parker Braun (2019), Tarik Black (2020), Schooler (2021), Dunn (2021) and Thornton (2021) are there any others missing besides Anderson and Watson that we need to account for? Also I am not sure how awarding walk on players such as Luke Brockermeyer (2018) and Kai Money (2019) scholarships effects counting against their respective class years so I will leave them out currently until we get further clarity.

2017 - signed 18 players for 18 total counters

2018 - signed 27 players (9 EE) + 1 transfer (Anderson) = 28 total - 5 counting towards 2017 = 23 counters

2019 - signed 26 players (9 EE) + 1 transfer (Braun) = 27 total - 2 counting towards 2018 = 25 counters

2020 - signed 20 players (8 EE) + 1 transfer (Black) = 21 total - 0 counting towards 2019 = 21 counters

2021 - singed 18 NSD1 + 4 transfers (Schooler, Watson, Dunn, Thornton) + 2 commits (Ibraheem, Lee)  = 24 with the ability to take 5 more counting 4 back to 2020

2017- I included Kendall Moore to make 19

2018- I counted 6 backwards to the previous class, since the difference of 25-19=6. 2 Transfers (Tre Watson), so the total is 29, and after subtracting 6, we're at 23, which leaves us 2 under the 25 limit, leaving room for 2 to be counted back in the next class

2019- 27 total, leaving no room for the next class

2020- 20 signees. We can go ahead count the five transfers (Black, Schooler, Watson, Dunn, Thornton) back to this class to make the math neater. So no extra room for the next class. 

2021- 18 signees + Lee + Ibraheem = 20, with room for 5 going forward. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Whatever happened to that Samuel’s kid from Pasadena. Guess he signed with SMU? Liked that kid way more than Lawerence and Abiara

If Texas decides to take Lawrence of Abiara, it will be taking the following DL/edge players in the class:

- Derrick Harris Jr

- Jordon Thomas 

- Byron Murphy II

- Barryn Sorrell

- Garfield Lawrence

- David Abiara

Potentially could play defense

- Ja'Tavion Sanders

- Juan Davis 

I’m going off Fud’s numbers earlier, which I read as saying we’re cutting into 2022 signees with every guy we take. 
Basically, You can only sign 25 guys each year, but you can back count up to 5 signees to the previous class if it was below 25 signees. So if you sign 21 guys in 2021, you can then sign 29 guys in 2022 (25 allotted for 2022 + 4 back counting to 2021 because you only signed 21 that year). 

So every transfer, HS recruit, etc. we sign in 2021 is one less guy we can add to our 2022 class, which will likely be a more talented player because transition class vs. new coach bump class (and hopefully a double digit win season in 2021). 

That makes sense, was just trying to decipher it for myself. I knew about the 25 per class, wasn’t sure how it moved the needle from class to class.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

If Texas decides to take Lawrence of Abiara, it will be taking the following DL/edge players in the class:

- Derrick Harris Jr

- Jordon Thomas 

- Byron Murphy II

- Barryn Sorrell

- Garfield Lawrence

- David Abiara

Potentially could play defense

- Ja'Tavion Sanders

- Juan Davis 

Ehhhhh. When you list them out like that, it looks kind of depressing. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ehhhhh. When you list them out like that, it looks kind of depressing. 

There's something to be said for getting guys into the program asap so they can contribute earlier. On the flip side, that many guys in a position group in a class means the bottom guys are more likely to eventually be non-contributors as transfers. 

EJ update on Worthy

Spoiler

Hey guys, just to drop in. Xavier told his fellow commits that he was going to land in Michigan today and has now gone dark on them. He tweeted what Jason posted, took a SnapChat of himself at an airport this morning then dropped an Instagram pin indicating that he was still at home. He plays more games than any other recruit I've ever covered.

It's Bru McCoy 2.0

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

EJ update on Worthy

Hide contents

Hey guys, just to drop in. Xavier told his fellow commits that he was going to land in Michigan today and has now gone dark on them. He tweeted what Jason posted, took a SnapChat of himself at an airport this morning then dropped an Instagram pin indicating that he was still at home. He plays more games than any other recruit I've ever covered.

It's Bru McCoy 2.0

Who wouldn’t want to tell the truth to THIS guy

7B352BE3-F68C-476D-9DB8-1C368FA68B0D.jpeg