Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Not sure where to put this, but it looks like that James Blanchard (JKTJC1324 or whatever his handle was) street agent clown is heading back to Baylor to be a recruiting staff guy, after a one year stint as a scout for the Carolina Panthers 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Not sure where to put this, but it looks like that James Blanchard (JKTJC1324 or whatever his handle was) street agent clown is heading back to Baylor to be a recruiting staff guy, after a one year stint as a scout for the Carolina Panthers 

He killed how many hookers? Sheesh

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

So Rhule finally figured out he's a street agent with no eye for talent. 

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

LJ or Blue would be a nice way to counter that aggy momentum

LJ would be a nice fuck you to A&M, considering this is a recruitment they should win easily all things considered 

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

So if we land LJ, did we counter the aggy momentum or was the momentum an illusion? Does it stop their momentum or only slow it down allowing them to counter our counter?

It could be independent of anything else. Maybe LJ sees what we could be beginning to build here. Other recruits may see something different.

Jimbo has set a nice floor in College Station, I'm just not sure the ceiling is all that high. 

59 minutes ago, Fud said:

LJ would be a nice fuck you to A&M, considering this is a recruitment they should win easily all things considered 

I think with RB depth, not to mention having taken a low 4-star RB out of Florida in this class already, LJ will be a luxury that Jimbo is still pushing hard to have, but wouldn't be a huge loss...unlike in years past, when previous A&M corching regimes put all their 'cruiting eggs in one basket and that never panned out.

Also consider it from the other perspective: LJ's heart has been with going to Austin all along and is finding any reason to not yet commit. Meaning he is giving all the time to Sark to recruit him.

So this can be spun either way. UT could use the shot in the arm of a top flight RB, plus a surefire head-to-head win against A&M. If he doesn't go to UT after all this, that would be more of a let down for you guys.

But honestly, your RB room is pretty dang good too right now. And you guys are leading for Blue in the next class. So... LJ is honestly a luxury and not a "must have" for either of the teams, therefore won't be a big loss for either. LJ will do well in either scheme, and it all comes down to what he wants to do.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I think with RB depth, not to mention having taken a low 4-star RB out of Florida in this class already, LJ will be a luxury that Jimbo is still pushing hard to have, but wouldn't be a huge loss...unlike in years past, when previous A&M corching regimes put all their 'cruiting eggs in one basket and that never panned out.

Also consider it from the other perspective: LJ's heart has been with going to Austin all along and is finding any reason to not yet commit. Meaning he is giving all the time to Sark to recruit him.

So this can be spun either way. UT could use the shot in the arm of a top flight RB, plus a surefire head-to-head win against A&M. If he doesn't go to UT after all this, that would be more of a let down for you guys.

But honestly, your RB room is pretty dang good too right now. And you guys are leading for Blue in the next class. So... LJ is honestly a luxury and not a "must have" for either of the teams, therefore won't be a big loss for either. LJ will do well in either scheme, and it all comes down to what he wants to do.

That is a nice level headed comment, but I think what hurts A&M in this recruitment is not depth but the fact that a lot of people don't want to play for an angry elf in a shit town full of shit people no matter how much money they are offered.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

A&M should win it in the sense that he's a Cy Fair kid, A&M just showed this season that he's the perfect fit for Spiller's role, and A&M just finished in the top five. 

Sure A&M took four RBs last cycle because Jimbo loves unbalanced classes, but it's basically three spares and an all purpose back in Achane, while Bijan is one class above LJ and Roschon likely is a five year guy 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

A&M should win it in the sense that he's a Cy Fair kid, A&M just showed this season that he's the perfect fit for Spiller's role, and A&M just finished in the top five. 

Sure A&M took four RBs last cycle because Jimbo loves unbalanced classes, but it's basically three spares and an all purpose back in Achane, while Bijan is one class above LJ and Roschon likely is a five year guy 

Y'all landed Hayden Conner out of Katy just in this class, so the whole "feeder school" doesn't work all the time. He held A&M offer, but loved UT, it's his dream school, and loves that aerospace engineering department in Austin. Best wishes to him, seems like an awesome kid.

will come down to personal choice, vibe, etc.

either case, "no love lost" kinda thing, in 'cruit-speak. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

Y'all landed Hayden Conner out of Katy just in this class, so the whole "feeder school" doesn't work all the time. He held A&M offer, but loved UT, it's his dream school, and loves that aerospace engineering department in Austin. Best wishes to him, seems like an awesome kid.

will come down to personal choice, vibe, etc.

either case, "no love lost" kinda thing, in 'cruit-speak. :D

Katy Taylor*

• Hook 'Em 1

No no no this can’t be true. I was told he was smart to opt out of the end of the season because of his high draft status.

Not this fucking drivel again.

1.) Cosmi was considered a consensus first round pick for most of the year and recent mocks from PFF and CBS sports, just from 30 seconds on Google, still have him in the mid first round. He’s anywhere from 2-5 in terms of tackles in this draft depending on who you ask. To say he’s got no shot at going in the first is silly.

2.) If he was already set on leaving after this year, which was always the case given his prospects, then even if he did have a second or third round grade, what exactly does playing K State or Colorado get him? Why does that make sitting not a smart decision?

3.) For the BuT hE qUiT oN tHe TeAm aggy crowd, what good does it do Texas to not give those snaps to Karic? Objectively better for the program that Cosmi sit out and protect his draft status while giving reps to promising young guys after being eliminated from conference contention.

Fucking stupid ass aggy take.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

1.) Cosmi was considered a consensus first round pick for most of the year and recent mocks from PFF and CBS sports, just from 30 seconds on Google, still have him in the mid first round. He’s anywhere from 2-5 in terms of tackles in this draft depending on who you ask. To say he’s got no shot at going in the first is silly.

2.) If he was already set on leaving after this year, which was always the case given his prospects, then even if he did have a second or third round grade, what exactly does playing K State or Colorado get him? Why does that make sitting not a smart decision?

3.) For the BuT hE qUiT oN tHe TeAm aggy crowd, what good does it do Texas to not give those snaps to Karic? Objectively better for the program that Cosmi sit out and protect his draft status while giving reps to promising young guys after being eliminated from conference contention.

Let's look at it this way. Say you are UNC and loose 4,000 yards worth of production of guys trying to protect their draft status. If no one opts out and you knock off a #5 aggy team, what does that do for your recruiting and program direction? Were they out of the conference race? Sure. But if you don't think this would effect the trajectory of the program you're just plain dumb. Make no mistake, this could happen to Texas. Get a bowl opponent that is a slight underdog with something to prove, and get embarrassed. One or two difference maker recruits decide "you ain't all that" from that performance, and it could make a difference down the road.

CHIEF

Let's look at it this way. Say you are UNC and loose 4,000 yards worth of production of guys trying to protect their draft status. If no one opts out and you knock off a #5 aggy team, what does that do for your recruiting and program direction? Were they out of the conference race? Sure. But if you don't think this would effect the trajectory of the program you're just plain dumb. Make no mistake, this could happen to Texas. Get a bowl opponent that is a slight underdog with something to prove, and get embarrassed. One or two difference maker recruits decide "you ain't all that" from that performance, and it could make a difference down the road.
CHIEF

giphy.gif

Okay but imagine we are on a Texas board talking about the decision of a specific Texas player to opt out of a couple games against Kansas sold and a who cares bowl game

59 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Make fun of it all you want, but you’re as much of a bitch as Cosmi is if you think you can defend him quitting on the team and his QB, for whom he had the blind side, in the middle of the season. Everything you attempt to claim to defend the stupid-ass position of quitting on your team as a captain is equivocating silliness. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

giphy.gif

Okay but imagine we are on a Texas board talking about the decision of a specific Texas player to opt out of a couple games against Kansas sold and a who cares bowl game

I'm just giving you reasons not to opt out. If you don't think it could eventually happen to Texas, I don't know what to tell you. The more talented we get, the greater opt outs will effect us, you are playing higher caliber opponents. It sets a precedent, it is the position a self absorbed coward takes. You must really hate Sark for calling them what they are, quitters. I know what it tells me, you don't play because you love the game, it's strictly business. I enjoy football because I feel the players play for the love of the game. You apparently think they play as a "Dog and Pony" show, it must suck.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

I'm just giving you reasons not to opt out. If you don't think it could eventually happen to Texas, I don't know what to tell you. The more talented we get, the greater opt outs will effect us, you are playing higher caliber opponents. It sets a precedent, it is the position a self absorbed coward takes. You must really hate Sark for calling them what they are, quitters. I know what it tells me, you don't play because you love the game, it's strictly business. I enjoy football because I feel the players play for the love of the game. You apparently think they play as a "Dog and Pony" show, it must suck.
CHIEF

Sure, but I was addressing Cosmi specifically, as was the post I was quoting. You’re not even arguing against what I was saying. Everything you said was true - we benefited from that against Georgia after all - and it still doesn’t make Cosmi’s decision anything but the only logical conclusion.

If you think major college football players are all in it for the love of the game I don’t know what to tell you, aside from maybe “okay boomer.” On the recruiting board no less. Where many have openly celebrated that Texas may be showing it’s willing to get serious about handing out happy meals to recruits like Bama and the other big boys. Just lol.

It was made a big time business long before players started treating it as such. It’s hard to begrudge them for responding in kind.

Make fun of it all you want, but you’re as much of a bitch as Cosmi is if you think you can defend him quitting on the team and his QB, for whom he had the blind side, in the middle of the season. Everything you attempt to claim to defend the stupid-ass position of quitting on your team as a captain is equivocating silliness. 

Hah, I accidentally repped you while trying to quote from mobile. He didn’t quit in the middle of the season. He quit with two completely meaningless games left. The team was eliminated from contention. You know that, so I don’t know why you try to characterize it as the middle of the season.

It’s exactly the opposite of a stupid ass position. In his individual position, continuing to play after that point is the stupid decision with zero upside. He gets to eliminate the injury risk and focus on combine testing, the program solidifies its high OL draft pick and gets a promising young prospect snaps while on a redshirt. Cosmi playing just satisfies the love of the game fetish for himself and Chief. That’s his prerogative if he so chooses, but calling him a bitch for walking at that point is ridiculous. Dude passed up a high draft grade last year and continued to push forward with playing in this mess of a COVID season to try to get a championship at Texas. And it’s extra rich because this entire board loves to talk about how players Herman, and was jerking off to the idea of Ehlinger quitting at halftime of the Alamo Bowl. And yet when it comes to a player actually quitting for a perfectly valid reason, y’all wildly overreact. Graham, Sterns, whoever else along that line that opted out after ISU? Yeah that’s dumb. They need all the good tape they can get. Flame away.

A guy like Cosmi or Ossai, who’s given Texas all American performance and is set to go in the first round? Fuck out of here.
  • Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sure, but I was addressing Cosmi specifically, as was the post I was quoting. You’re not even arguing against what I was saying. Everything you said was true - we benefited from that against Georgia after all - and it still doesn’t make Cosmi’s decision anything but the only logical conclusion.

If you think major college football players are all in it for the love of the game I don’t know what to tell you, aside from maybe “okay boomer.” On the recruiting board no less. Where many have openly celebrated that Texas may be showing it’s willing to get serious about handing out happy meals to recruits like Bama and the other big boys. Just lol.

It was made a big time business long before players started treating it as such. It’s hard to begrudge them for responding in kind.

Hah, I accidentally repped you while trying to quote from mobile. He didn’t quit in the middle of the season. He quit with two completely meaningless games left. The team was eliminated from contention. You know that, so I don’t know why you try to characterize it as the middle of the season.

It’s exactly the opposite of a stupid ass position. In his individual position, continuing to play after that point is the stupid decision with zero upside. He gets to eliminate the injury risk and focus on combine testing, the program solidifies its high OL draft pick and gets a promising young prospect snaps while on a redshirt. Cosmi playing just satisfies the love of the game fetish for himself and Chief. That’s his prerogative if he so chooses, but calling him a bitch for walking at that point is ridiculous. Dude passed up a high draft grade last year and continued to push forward with playing in this mess of a COVID season to try to get a championship at Texas. And it’s extra rich because this entire board loves to talk about how players Herman, and was jerking off to the idea of Ehlinger quitting at halftime of the Alamo Bowl. And yet when it comes to a player actually quitting for a perfectly valid reason, y’all wildly overreact. Graham, Sterns, whoever else along that line that opted out after ISU? Yeah that’s dumb. They need all the good tape they can get. Flame away.

A guy like Cosmi or Ossai, who’s given Texas all American performance and is set to go in the first round? Fuck out of here.

Honestly, if he was my kid, and his team was eliminated from conference title contention, and he was projected as a first rounder, I'd probably advise him to think about opting out as well. What happened to Kerstetter could have easily happened to Cosmi. If that happened to him, there goes a lot of money. Granted, he could have returned for two more seasons, but why risk it?

Yeah, I get it; it hinders our fandom. However, any of us would take care of ourselves and our families over being excessively loyal to a given employer, and these athletes have to do the same. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

It could be independent of anything else. Maybe LJ sees what we could be beginning to build here. Other recruits may see something different.

Jimbo has set a nice floor in College Station, I'm just not sure the ceiling is all that high. 

Jimbo doesn’t need a high ceiling.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Totally agree. If there are kids who have literally played their hearts out for a dog shit staff, have been the leaders in the locker room, and are all-around NFL talents, you can’t blame them for trying to preserve their health when the remaining contests are effectively inconsequential. Both Ossai and Cosmi are currently consensus (aggregated mock draft) first rounders. Getting injured could literally cost them millions of dollars. Asking a young man to put that on the line is just selfish. You usually have good takes @closetojumping but you should feel bad for this one. Was not a good take.

As for the argument that this sets a bad precedent, the remaining games were not gonna get us to a CCG. They were not playoff games. We can cross that bridge when we get there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1