Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sure, but I was addressing Cosmi specifically, as was the post I was quoting. You’re not even arguing against what I was saying. Everything you said was true - we benefited from that against Georgia after all - and it still doesn’t make Cosmi’s decision anything but the only logical conclusion.

If you think major college football players are all in it for the love of the game I don’t know what to tell you, aside from maybe “okay boomer.” On the recruiting board no less. Where many have openly celebrated that Texas may be showing it’s willing to get serious about handing out happy meals to recruits like Bama and the other big boys. Just lol.

It was made a big time business long before players started treating it as such. It’s hard to begrudge them for responding in kind.

Hah, I accidentally repped you while trying to quote from mobile. He didn’t quit in the middle of the season. He quit with two completely meaningless games left. The team was eliminated from contention. You know that, so I don’t know why you try to characterize it as the middle of the season.

It’s exactly the opposite of a stupid ass position. In his individual position, continuing to play after that point is the stupid decision with zero upside. He gets to eliminate the injury risk and focus on combine testing, the program solidifies its high OL draft pick and gets a promising young prospect snaps while on a redshirt. Cosmi playing just satisfies the love of the game fetish for himself and Chief. That’s his prerogative if he so chooses, but calling him a bitch for walking at that point is ridiculous. Dude passed up a high draft grade last year and continued to push forward with playing in this mess of a COVID season to try to get a championship at Texas. And it’s extra rich because this entire board loves to talk about how players Herman, and was jerking off to the idea of Ehlinger quitting at halftime of the Alamo Bowl. And yet when it comes to a player actually quitting for a perfectly valid reason, y’all wildly overreact. Graham, Sterns, whoever else along that line that opted out after ISU? Yeah that’s dumb. They need all the good tape they can get. Flame away.

A guy like Cosmi or Ossai, who’s given Texas all American performance and is set to go in the first round? Fuck out of here.

Let's see where they get drafted. I honestly don't know how opting out effects draft status. But as an NFL GM, it would certainly be in the back of my mind. Would they basically quit the team and slack if they thought they were gonna be traded? Does this effect how much I would be willing to pay them on their initial contract? Absolutely. They get paid a tremendous amount of money, do you pay them if you think they do not enjoy what they do? The road is littered with guys that could have played and gotten paid for a few extra years in the NFL, but their attitude and demeanor made them simply not worth it, and cost them substantial amounts of money.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

It could be independent of anything else. Maybe LJ sees what we could be beginning to build here. Other recruits may see something different.

Jimbo has set a nice floor in College Station, I'm just not sure the ceiling is all that high. 

Oh, you haven’t seen the plaque?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Let's see where they get drafted. I honestly don't know how opting out effects draft status. But as an NFL GM, it would certainly be in the back of my mind. Would they basically quit the team and slack if they thought they were gonna be traded? Does this effect how much I would be willing to pay them on their initial contract? Absolutely. They get paid a tremendous amount of money, do you pay them if you think they do not enjoy what they do?

CHIEF

If they fall out of the first round it won't be because they skipped K State and Colorado. Two guys who opted out of this season entirely are going to be top ten picks. Several first rounders opted out last year. The NFL just doesn't care that much about skipping bowl games, nor should it because the logic is obvious and doesn't translate to a situation a professional would find themselves in.

NFL also has a rookie wage scale. GM's don't decide what contracts rookies get.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Sure, but I was addressing Cosmi specifically, as was the post I was quoting. You’re not even arguing against what I was saying. Everything you said was true - we benefited from that against Georgia after all - and it still doesn’t make Cosmi’s decision anything but the only logical conclusion.

If you think major college football players are all in it for the love of the game I don’t know what to tell you, aside from maybe “okay boomer.” On the recruiting board no less. Where many have openly celebrated that Texas may be showing it’s willing to get serious about handing out happy meals to recruits like Bama and the other big boys. Just lol.

It was made a big time business long before players started treating it as such. It’s hard to begrudge them for responding in kind.

Hah, I accidentally repped you while trying to quote from mobile. He didn’t quit in the middle of the season. He quit with two completely meaningless games left. The team was eliminated from contention. You know that, so I don’t know why you try to characterize it as the middle of the season.

It’s exactly the opposite of a stupid ass position. In his individual position, continuing to play after that point is the stupid decision with zero upside. He gets to eliminate the injury risk and focus on combine testing, the program solidifies its high OL draft pick and gets a promising young prospect snaps while on a redshirt. Cosmi playing just satisfies the love of the game fetish for himself and Chief. That’s his prerogative if he so chooses, but calling him a bitch for walking at that point is ridiculous. Dude passed up a high draft grade last year and continued to push forward with playing in this mess of a COVID season to try to get a championship at Texas. And it’s extra rich because this entire board loves to talk about how players Herman, and was jerking off to the idea of Ehlinger quitting at halftime of the Alamo Bowl. And yet when it comes to a player actually quitting for a perfectly valid reason, y’all wildly overreact. Graham, Sterns, whoever else along that line that opted out after ISU? Yeah that’s dumb. They need all the good tape they can get. Flame away.

A guy like Cosmi or Ossai, who’s given Texas all American performance and is set to go in the first round? Fuck out of here.

No sweat on the pos rep. You can still go remove it. I don’t want it from people with terrible takes who support bitches. 

He quit with 3 games to play. Is that not half? Oh well. He had 30% of the season left and walked out, like a bitch. You can attempt to defend that all you want,  and the rest of us will continue to view your take as an equivocating piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Make fun of it all you want, but you’re as much of a bitch as Cosmi is if you think you can defend him quitting on the team and his QB, for whom he had the blind side, in the middle of the season. Everything you attempt to claim to defend the stupid-ass position of quitting on your team as a captain is equivocating silliness. 

GMR gave you a better response than this sophomoric drivel deserved. The actual response should have been 

jerk off rick santorum GIF

You sound way too much like those earnest dorks on IT crying into their pillows about opt outs. Any one of you fat middle aged fucks would stab your employer or employees in the back for an extra penny. Life is about getting yours, and these unpaid 20 years olds are no different. As a fan I want them all to play every game so we win and I derive enjoyment from their efforts, but spare us the gnashing of teeth when they make a self-interested decision. The game is the game.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No sweat on the pos rep. You can still go remove it. I don’t want it from people with terrible takes who support bitches. 

He quit with 3 games to play. Is that not half? Oh well. He had 30% of the season left and walked out, like a bitch. You can attempt to defend that all you want,  and the rest of us will continue to view your take as an equivocating piece of shit. 

Lol really well thought out take there. I don't know how I'll come back from that. Guess we're done here, you win.

1 minute ago, Cashcar said:

Exactly....as Sark said, it’s quitting. This “opting out” phrase is soft bullshit. 

Sark left Washington before its bowl game to take a higher paying, more prestigious job at USC. He chose alcohol and partying over his team at Southern Cal. I don't have anything against him, but he shouldn't be casting that particular stone and it's laughable that people keep bringing him up as an example of some sort of moral high ground here.

• Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If they fall out of the first round it won't be because they skipped K State and Colorado. Two guys who opted out of this season entirely are going to be top ten picks. Several first rounders opted out last year. The NFL just doesn't care that much about skipping bowl games, nor should it because the logic is obvious and doesn't translate to a situation a professional would find themselves in.

NFL also has a rookie wage scale. GM's don't decide what contracts rookies get.

Do you think it effects the signing bonus? You are stuck with the fucker for four years. If you have doubts about his effort, what do you do? Reduce that bonus? 

CHIEF

5 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Do you think it effects the signing bonus? You are stuck with the fucker for four years. If you have doubts about his effort, what do you do? Reduce that bonus? 

CHIEF

That number isn't negotiable. The payment timeline is, but the bonus is guaranteed and set in stone one way or the other.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Did you feel like a pussy writing this or just when your reread it?

I too chose alcohol and partying over my actual obligations in my days on campus, just pointing out the absurdity of holding Sark up on a pedestal here.

Also motherfucker hired Mike Stoops so fuck him.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The whole spring and fall practices and regular season were fucked, full of cancelled games, cancelled bowls, teams opting out of bowls, players opting out once contention was over, shortened practice weeks due to positive tests, individual coaches and players having to miss games due to quarantine--this wasn't a regular season at all. Plus, guys were already playing banged up, just not season ending injuries.  The top teams would have all had major opt outs had they not played in the playoffs.  Cosmi left a lousy season to not risk NFL aspirations.  He'll play on Sundays.  We can all boycott the NFL for taking bitches and not respecting our shitty football takes.     

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I too chose alcohol and partying over my actual obligations in my days on campus, just pointing out the absurdity of holding Sark up on a pedestal here.

Also motherfucker hired Mike Stoops so fuck him.

Does this mean we can’t hold anyone accountable for bad decisions we’ve made in the past? I was an absolute dumbass in college. Now I can’t call out someone else’s dumbassedness? Fuck this world you live in, dumbass. Calling out others for stupid choices they make holds more weight when you’ve experienced it yourself. Besides, it’s what Surly is built on.

I suggest you opt out.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t agree that a moral failing in your past means you’re somehow disqualified as an authority to comment on the subject ever again.   I mean, what kind of depraved, equivocating society would we be living in today if one isolated incident with a prostitute from years ago meant I’m not even allowed to think murder is wrong anymore?

Well, it is wrong, and I’m not afraid to say it!  And kids shouldn’t quit on their football teams, either!

Craig? Wasn’t it more than one prostitute?

Does this mean we can’t hold anyone accountable for bad decisions we’ve made in the past? I was an absolute dumbass in college. Now I can’t call out someone else’s dumbassedness? Fuck this world you live in, dumbass. Calling out others for stupid choices they make holds more weight when you’ve experienced it yourself. Besides, it’s what Surly is built on.
I suggest you opt out.

Calm down drama queen. Pointing out Sark’s word on the particular topic at hand isn’t gospel is a long way from what you’re saying here.

I don’t agree that a moral failing in your past means you’re somehow disqualified as an authority to comment on the subject ever again.   I mean, what kind of depraved, equivocating society would we be living in today if one isolated incident with a prostitute from years ago meant I’m not even allowed to think murder is wrong anymore?
Well, it is wrong, and I’m not afraid to say it!  And kids shouldn’t quit on their football teams, either!

At least this was funny, I respect that.

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Lol really well thought out take there. I don't know how I'll come back from that. Guess we're done here, you win.

Sark left Washington before its bowl game to take a higher paying, more prestigious job at USC. He chose alcohol and partying over his team at Southern Cal. I don't have anything against him, but he shouldn't be casting that particular stone and it's laughable that people keep bringing him up as an example of some sort of moral high ground here.

I guess I missed the part where I held Steve Sarkisian up as some sort of stand-up guy with an impeccable background to support my argument that Cosmi quit on the fucking team and his QB, and you apologizing constantly on his behalf for it doesn't change anything, outside of creating an understanding for the board that you're related to him or a secret admirer.

10 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The whole spring and fall practices and regular season were fucked, full of cancelled games, cancelled bowls, teams opting out of bowls, players opting out once contention was over, shortened practice weeks due to positive tests, individual coaches and players having to miss games due to quarantine--this wasn't a regular season at all. Plus, guys were already playing banged up, just not season ending injuries.  The top teams would have all had major opt outs had they not played in the playoffs.  Cosmi left a lousy season to not risk NFL aspirations.  He'll play on Sundays.  We can all boycott the NFL for taking bitches and not respecting our shitty football takes.     

That's a whole lot of words just to say "Cosmi quit on the team".

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Did Cosmi quit on the team. Yes.  Did he have potentially valid reasons to do so.  Absolutely. 

These kids don't get paid.  Yeah, they get free schooling etc.  But they don't get PAID.  He has the right to do what he decides is in the best interest of his future.  What if he is playing and gets rolled up on instead of Kerstetter in that game.  Now maybe you could argue that he should take an insurance policy out to mitigate an injury risk.  I don't know how those work.  I would think you pretty much have to be a real top tier player to get any substantial settlement without paying a huge premium.  And not just some bs preseason mock from Kiper saying you're going to go in the first round when anyone with two eyes knows that is complete and utter crap. 

At the end of the day, the point of college is to help you get a job that pays you money.  I don't blame him one bit for opting out after the writing was on the wall and the team had nothing meaningful left to play for.  Winning out to secure Herman's future?  Please.  The Alamo or Cheeze It Bowl?  Such a racket.  Nobody cares about bowl games unless they are the playoffs.    Now if we still had a shot to win something meaningful (assuming you consider winning the Big 12 this year meaningful) then yeah, he shouldn't have opted out.  And he didn't.  But after that was no longer an option, I have no problem with him opting out.  Hell, I was excited to get some of the younger kids playing time.  Bottom line, college football is a business.  And he made a business decision.  I can't fault him for that.

2 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Gerry said a prospect is in town today. They won’t divulge into name

Guessing LJ

Wasn't LJ already expected to make it to town? Don't see why that would be kept secret. Sounds like somebody committed elsewhere. Maybe Wheaton or somebody

Edited by Bevo14

6 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Did Cosmi quit on the team. Yes.  Did he have potentially valid reasons to do so.  Absolutely. 

Yikes, dude. It's a true joy watching you football boarders twist yourselves up in this kind of pretzel logic. Justifying your team captain and ALL AMERICAN LEFT TACKLE quitting on your senior QB with hE hAd NoThInG tO pLaY fOr! is not reasonable. Play to win football games, and at minimum, do your best to make sure the guy with all of the injury issues, your senior leader at QB, your friend, can walk to the bus without assistance. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yikes, dude. It's a true joy watching you football boarders twist yourselves up in this kind of pretzel logic. Justifying your team captain and ALL AMERICAN LEFT TACKLE quitting on your senior QB with hE hAd NoThInG tO pLaY fOr! is not reasonable. Play to win football games, and at minimum, do your best to make sure the guy with all of the injury issues, your senior leader at QB, your friend, can walk to the bus without assistance. 

Not sure how Looking out for #1 is pretzel logic.  Seems pretty straight forward to me. 

Have you only had one job in your entire adult career?  Because if you've ever left a job for a better paying one, guess what, you quit on your "team".  Now maybe you don't actually contribute a lot and likely weren't missed.  But in the real world, people make decisions based on what is optimal for their future as crazy as it sounds.

Are we supposed to be mad at Ossai for declaring early?  Our pass rush would certainly be better next year if he came back, and actually the next 2 years since this one was a freebie.  Is he quitting on his team?  The team's outcome for next year and the year after that is still unknown, unlike at the point this year when Cosmi opted out.    

Sam being injured (continually) is purely on Herman and Hand due to QB Power and bad line play.  And those 2 have millions in the bank while Sam has an outside chance of making a scout team and Cosmi got free schooling and some burnt toast and runny eggs out of the deal.  Like I said, it's a business.  Cosmi made a business decision to protect his future at a point when it had the minimal impact on his team.  And I don't blame him one bit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

Texas looks very good with the Legacy brothers, Garfield Lawrence (Tyler Legacy) and David Abiara (Mansfield Legacy). The new coaches want to add more defensive ends to the roster. Lawrence will be a swing D-lineman and Abiara is a hand-in-the ground defensive end who can get after the quarterback.

Cy-Fair RB LJ Johnson isn’t proving to be overly sagacious through his recruiting saga. He is struggling with his decision like few recruits we’ve covered. From what we gather, he is in contact more with Texas than A&M but we don’t know if that’s a tell. Classes have already begun at each school and S&C is set to begin next week at each school. As of last night, no decision had been made.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Not sure how Looking out for #1 is pretzel logic.  Seems pretty straight forward to me. 

Have you only had one job in your entire adult career?  Because if you've ever left a job for a better paying one, guess what, you quit on your "team".  Now maybe you don't actually contribute a lot and likely weren't missed.  But in the real world, people make decisions based on what is optimal for their future as crazy as it sounds.

Are we supposed to be mad at Ossai for declaring early?  Our pass rush would certainly be better next year if he came back, and actually the next 2 years since this one was a freebie.  Is he quitting on his team?  The team's outcome for next year and the year after that is still unknown, unlike at the point this year when Cosmi opted out.    

Sam being injured (continually) is purely on Herman and Hand due to QB Power and bad line play.  And those 2 have millions in the bank while Sam has an outside chance of making a scout team and Cosmi got free schooling and some burnt toast and runny eggs out of the deal.  Like I said, it's a business.  Cosmi made a business decision to protect his future at a point when it had the minimal impact on his team.  And I don't blame him one bit.  

You're mistaking my point and missing the context of the locker room. Cosmi quit.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Imagine thinking Cosmi is the one who should have to answer for Herman grinding Ehlinger down to dust lol

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You're mistaking my point and missing the context of the locker room. Cosmi quit.

I literally said as much in my original post, which you quoted me on.  I agree that he quit, I just said that I understood why he did so.

I guess the point I thought you were trying to make (other than trying to belittle me) is that him quitting was unreasonable.  And I then offered several reasons why I disagree with that conclusion.  None of which you have actually bothered to address or refute.  So maybe i did miss your point.  Guess it doesn't matter.  Clearly you are not going to agree with me.  Which is fine.  The topic has nothing to do with 2021 recruiting anyway.  So let's agree to disagree, and move on.

3 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Imagine thinking Cosmi is the one who should have to answer for Herman grinding Ehlinger down to dust lol

jfc

Point out where I said that, please. And, while you're at it, also point out who the locker room provocateurs were that made this a more complicated and damning situation than anyone is entertaining.

I can spout face value takes all day, too. 

Waking up to Kyle Floor as Texas’ OL Coach is like Christmas morning everyday. 

I’m a silver linings type guy. If Cosmi had stayed with the team, we don’t get the following

- The revelation that Kersetter is much better at OT. Duh, but the film will help Sark and Flood going into next season. 

- Majors playing well at center and looking like a future star. 

- Karic looking down right competent at LT against Colorado.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

once cosmi quit, we scored 69 in manhattan and 55 against cu with bijan averaging 19 yards a touch and 18 yards a touch respectively.  once we unloaded all the rest of the offensive dead weight in the bowl game, our offense was pretty fucking fun to watch even if the opponent was mediocre.

oh fucking well he quit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Texas looks very good with the Legacy brothers, Garfield Lawrence (Tyler Legacy) and David Abiara (Mansfield Legacy). The new coaches want to add more defensive ends to the roster. Lawrence will be a swing D-lineman and Abiara is a hand-in-the ground defensive end who can get after the quarterback.

Cy-Fair RB LJ Johnson isn’t proving to be overly sagacious through his recruiting saga. He is struggling with his decision like few recruits we’ve covered. From what we gather, he is in contact more with Texas than A&M but we don’t know if that’s a tell. Classes have already begun at each school and S&C is set to begin next week at each school. As of last night, no decision had been made.

Was Johnson contemplating visiting UT campus after he made the visit to A&M? If that’s still happening, I feel optimistic about our chances. He’s had the same reasons to commit to A&M for a long time. Our position just changed for the better recently. 

1 minute ago, sidis said:

once cosmi quit, we scored 69 in manhattan and 55 against cu with bijan averaging 19 yards a touch and 18 yards a touch respectively.  once we unloaded all the rest of the offensive dead weight in the bowl game, our offense was pretty fucking fun to watch even if the opponent was mediocre.

oh fucking well he quit.

This is a correlation without causation thing.

The improvement came from moving Kerstetter from Center to RT. It’s hard for me to describe how awful Kerstetter was at C in the run game. I remember being surprised by it even against UTSA, and he never got a whole lot better. It’s absolutely criminal that Hand got to see Majors and Kerstetter all year in practice but didn’t make the change til he had no other choice. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1