Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 1/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, texifornia said:

Gideon started following this kid (I'd imagine as a PWO). Between him and Marsh, guess he liked what he saw in the state champs games.

https://247sports.com/player/michael-taaffe-46110323/

On 1/21/2021 at 9:46 AM, Jacob McCandles said:

He signed with Rice on NSD1

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Are you sure he signed? He just reported a PWO offer from SMU, and Banks started following him.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Was Johnson contemplating visiting UT campus after he made the visit to A&M? If that’s still happening, I feel optimistic about our chances. He’s had the same reasons to commit to A&M for a long time. Our position just changed for the better recently. 

As of yesterday, was expected to visit this week.

From yesterday, per Meme Cockroach GIF by MOODMAN 

image.thumb.png.b10cbb4f5cb4369d7d7cc3bc35184043.png

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Are you sure he signed? He just reported a PWO offer from SMU, and Banks started following him.

You are correct. His twitter mentions only "committed", and the Rice FB page doesn't list him as signed. I saw a tweet from Rice at one point congratulating Taafe and the DE from Katy who was DMVP of the 6a-D2 game (and who is signed per the Rice FB page) and referring to them as future  Owls., so that must have confused me. Taafe has picked up PWO offers from SMU and Baylor since the game last week. Hard to turn down a free Rice education, but he is likely waiting to see if a better scholarship opportunity comes up.

Roach: Eric Gray on Campus

Spoiler

Texas is looking for some candidates at running back, and the transfer portal might provide an immediate answer.

A source at Texas confirmed to me today that Tennessee running back Eric Gray is on campus for a visit. The Tennessee product signed with the Vols in the 2019 class, but entered the transfer portal amid a mass exodus from other Tennessee products in the wake of Jeremy Pruitt's firing. Gray also has plans to visit Oklahoma, but sources in Austin are optimistic this visit could help shut the door for the Longhorns.

A former four-star commit and All-American Bowl participant, Gray hails from Memphis (TN.) Lausanne Collegiate School. In two years with the Volunteers, Gray ran for 1311 yards and 8 touchdowns to go with 369 yards and 3 touchdowns receiving.

The Longhorns go into the spring with limited numbers at the position and a need to add more talent. While Texas continues to chase four-star running back LJ Johnson, they must nail down a more immediate option to give them depth. Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson form a strong two-headed monster in the Texas backfield, but Steve Sarkisian and Stan Drayton want to add more quality depth at the position.

Gray spent time at Tennessee also returning kicks and punts and appears to be the type of versatile all-purpose back who could fit into a backfield with established talent.

Re the pursuit of Gray and its effect on LJ: "It's independent of LJ Johnson. On that front, a source told me LJ's family had some personal matters and couldn't visit this week, but there is still confidence in Austin that Texas lands him."

Edited by Dummy

13 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Would LJ or E. Gray have you more excited for next year? LJ is a more exciting prospect, right?

Next year is not what I'm excited/worried about.  Maybe we are good.  Maybe we won't be.  It's not like we are going to be in the playoffs.  So who cares.  Next year gets a pass with new coaches and a new QB.  Talk to me about 3 years from now. 

Therefore I'd be more excited about LJ.  Because we better enjoy Bijan while he is here, cuz he isn't staying long.  But while he is, Sark is going to feed him.  And ROJO is fine to spell him for the time being until LJ gets up to speed.  

Now if Gray can bring his LB friend along with him, then give me the Tennesee guys and I'll take my chances of landing Blue next year and not be too worried about LJ.  

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Waking up to Kyle Floor as Texas’ OL Coach is like Christmas morning everyday. 

I’m a silver linings type guy. If Cosmi had stayed with the team, we don’t get the following

- The revelation that Kersetter is much better at OT. Duh, but the film will help Sark and Flood going into next season. 

- Majors playing well at center and looking like a future star. 

- Karic looking down right competent at LT against Colorado.

Hell they could just watch the scotch tape from 2019. Kerstetter was very good at RT.

14 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Next year is not what I'm excited/worried about.  Maybe we are good.  Maybe we won't be.  It's not like we are going to be in the playoffs.  So who cares.  Next year gets a pass with new coaches and a new QB.  Talk to me about 3 years from now. 

Therefore I'd be more excited about LJ.  Because we better enjoy Bijan while he is here, cuz he isn't staying long.  But while he is, Sark is going to feed him.  And ROJO is fine to spell him for the time being until LJ gets up to speed.  

Now if Gray can bring his LB friend along with him, then give me the Tennesee guys and I'll take my chances of landing Blue next year and not be too worried about LJ.  

I care. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Was Johnson contemplating visiting UT campus after he made the visit to A&M? If that’s still happening, I feel optimistic about our chances. He’s had the same reasons to commit to A&M for a long time. Our position just changed for the better recently. 

This is a correlation without causation thing.

The improvement came from moving Kerstetter from Center to RT. It’s hard for me to describe how awful Kerstetter was at C in the run game. I remember being surprised by it even against UTSA, and he never got a whole lot better. It’s absolutely criminal that Hand got to see Majors and Kerstetter all year in practice but didn’t make the change til he had no other choice. 

I believe their first game ever will be September 17th of 2022. 

true detective time GIF

23 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

We need a good year to lay the foundation. Next year is not a pass. If it didn’t matter you keep Herman. Aggy has momentum, OU continues to run the conference. Ohio St and Alabama keep getting a larger foot print in the state. Next year fucking matters

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

We need a good year to lay the foundation. Next year is not a pass. If it didn’t matter you keep Herman. Aggy has momentum, OU continues to run the conference. Ohio St and Alabama keep getting a larger foot print in the state. Next year fucking matters

If he never says "1-0" and actually fuckin goes "1-0" I'll be ecstatic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Xian said:

I care. 

Fair.  I didn't word that properly.  But you don't typically go to the recruiting board if you are only focused on the results of the following year.  It's more about the long term success of the program.  I don't anticipate being in the title game next year after having a new coach.  But in 2-3 years, I hope that might be a possibility.

20 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

You don't keep Herman because in recruiting we were dead in the water for 2022.  Sark gives us momentum.  So next year RESULTS don't matter as much as perceived momentum I guess is my point in regards to recruiting.  Herman had some pretty good classes with the "promise" of being better, but having lost to Maryland etc....  

In the grand scheme of things, there isn't a ton of difference if next year we finish 8-3 instead of 7-4.   Its' a process.  Given our new coaching staff and a QB without any meaningful experience, I can't anticipate being in the final 4.  And that is what all of our sights should be set on.  The rest is just window dressing and whether or not your staff can sell progress and development of players, which hopefully Sark can sell at this point next year regardless of which player he gets because as mentioned, Bijan should get 80% of the carries no mater what.  And long term, I'd rather have LJ.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach

— I reported earlier today that Tennessee running back transfer Eric Gray was on campus for a visit. I'm told the Texas staff has been communicating with him ever since he entered the portal, and they feel good about their chances. This source mentioned to me the need to get a body on campus for the spring to go along with Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson. Gray was also supposed to visit Oklahoma this weekend so it could be a few days before we know of a decision. This is independent of four-star running back LJ Johnson who we reported is holding off on a decision until closer to signing day. Sources still expect Johnson to take a visit to Austin next week for a campus tour, and I'm told there's a bit of cautious optimism growing in Texas about landing Johnson.

Surprised LJ is visiting next week, thought he'd be in around now, guess he's really not in a rush to get into classes 

• Hook 'Em 1

Steve Wiltfong: Offensive lineman Michael Myslinski to announce commitment on Saturday

Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny offensive lineman Michael Myslinski tells 247Sports he'll announce his college commitment Saturday at 4 p.m. (EST). Iowa, Maryland, Michigan State and Texas are the finalists. Myslinski is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation's No. 13 center prospect. He is a one-time verbal to the Longhorns giving the Big 12 program a pledge in August, but he reopened the process in December. The Hawkeyes have been trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. "This has been an extremely tough decision but I’m ready and excited for the next chapter of my life," Myslinski said. He recently spoke with 247Sports each of his favorite programs.

Iowa: “Iowa does a great job with their offensive line. Their offensive line is definitely like an elite group. Coach (Tim) Polasek and Coach (Brian) Ferentz do a great job developing offensive linemen.”

Michigan State: “I think Coach (Chris) Kapilovic does a really good job with the offensive line and I think he’s a really good coach and I think Coach (Mel) Tucker is a good head coach and their program is heading the right direction.”

Maryland: “I think Coach (John) Reagan also does a great job. I think Maryland is an up-and-going program and I've been recruited by Coach (George) Helow for a long time and know him and it’s more personal with him and he has a brother at Bishop Kenny and I have a personal connection there as well.”

Texas: “I’ve always been a great fan of Coach (Herb) Hand. He does a great job. The Texas program is an awesome program in general to be part of. I like the city as well.”

lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

In the grand scheme of things, there isn't a ton of difference if next year we finish 8-3 instead of 7-4.   Its' a process.  Given our new coaching staff and a QB without any meaningful experience, I can't anticipate being in the final 4.  And that is what all of our sights should be set on.  The rest is just window dressing and whether or not your staff can sell progress and development of players, which hopefully Sark can sell at this point next year regardless of which player he gets because as mentioned, Bijan should get 80% of the carries no mater what.  And long term, I'd rather have LJ.

I find it mildly infuriating that you don’t even know we play 12 games in a season. 

17 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

Seriously, good luck to this kid. Only connection was Herb and his dad. Glad we are starting to process kids. It's just business.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Did he get processed? I thought he flew the coop when he saw the writing on the wall with Herman and Hand.

He wasn’t processed. He decommitted because Hand wasn’t going to be here next year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, victory88 said:

Lol, Mylinski doesn’t even start at tackle on his own high school team.  Pretty sure his high school team didn’t win a single game.  This was a fucking terrible lazy take and would have been a waste of a scholarship.

That’s why he has committable offers from multiple P5 schools, including Iowa, which is one of the best OL talent identifiers in the country, right? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s why he has committable offers from multiple P5 schools, including Iowa, which is one of the best OL talent identifiers in the country, right? 

I didn't think he was a horrible take either. It should have never come down to that because they fucked up so badly with the instate guys, but I thought he moved pretty well and he had a mean streak. OL recruiting is the biggest crap shoot of all positions after all. My bigger concern was that his dad was an NFL s&c guy and that he might be maxed, but then I rationalized it away with his potentially becoming our new steroid plug. 

He doesn't have an offer from the new staff, does he? 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, Fud said:

Not sure where to put this, but it looks like that James Blanchard (JKTJC1324 or whatever his handle was) street agent clown is heading back to Baylor to be a recruiting staff guy, after a one year stint as a scout for the Carolina Panthers 

Baylor gave him an assistant AD title. They gave a fucking former street agent an assistant AD title. Was Willie Lyles not available? 

• Hook 'Em 3