Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, victory88 said:

Lol, Mylinski doesn’t even start at tackle on his own high school team.  Pretty sure his high school team didn’t win a single game.  This was a fucking terrible lazy take and would have been a waste of a scholarship.

The win total for a center prospect is irrelevant to his value, and that he's not playing tackle is pretty trivial 

If you don't like the prospect, perhaps find some better reasons 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

The win total for a center prospect is irrelevant to his value, and that he's not playing tackle is pretty trivial 

Mylinski seems to be a fine kid, and a pretty good football player. I just think the new staff is setting their sight on guys that are higher up the board. Floods first two calls bear that out.

CHIEF

His offers are from schools where his dad has a connection.  I’m sorry, not shitting on a kid, but there’s a reason the big time schools didn’t offer him.  He plays the easiest position at his high school on the o-line.  If he was that good, he’d be starting at center or tackle.  I’ll eat crow if he ends up being a high draft pick.  More than likely, he’s a maxed out high school player whose dad has good relationships with o line coaches in college.  He’s not in burnt orange anymore so doesn’t really matter and the coaches didn’t seem to blink an eye or bothering calling him when he decommitted.  That should tell you where he stands on their board.

Edited by victory88

46 minutes ago, Fud said:

My point is that on a shitty high school team with shitty players, his high school coaches thought there were better players on the team to play center and protect the QB.  Both Shack and Majors played tackle in high school.  You know more about football than me but we can both agree most high school teams will play their best OL at LT.  

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I'm going to get booed but he reminds me of Ingram. Good cuts, good vision, ok speed. I didn't see any dropped touchdown passes or fumbles which lead to losses so that's good.

Keaontay is a pretty solid P5 running back when he's not in his own head. I'd be happy to have someone of his caliber transfer in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Keaontay is a pretty solid P5 running back when he's not in his own head. I'd be happy to have someone of his caliber transfer in. 

Agreed on Ingram. I liked him. He wasn't going to consistently break 75 yard touchdowns but he was good. I think he lost a few steps when he gained all that weight. Anyway, enough of Ingram. 

Would be happy as shit to get Gray.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm going to get booed but he reminds me of Ingram. Good cuts, good vision, ok speed. I didn't see any dropped touchdown passes or fumbles which lead to losses so that's good.

Ingram was a good RB. What happened to him this year is bizarre and inexplicable but we all felt great about him coming out of the 2019 season.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

There's a 95 yard TD on that tape. Ingram would have been chased down at midfield by all the D-linemen. 

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

He probably has the size for H-back/fullback. Who else do we have for that role, Brewer?

I am really excited to see he and Jaylan Ford at LB in this defense, but Jaden Hullaby would probably be a load at FB/H-Back with his physicality and athleticism. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I am really excited to see he and Jaylan Ford at LB in this defense, but Jaden Hullaby would probably be a load at FB/H-Back with his physicality and athleticism. 

There is no reason that Hullaby couldn't be used in certain offensive packages involving FB/HB while seeing his primary duties at LB.

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

He's a really good player.  There would definitely be a battle between him and Bijan for carries.

What about RoJo ??

If we keep bringing in other RBs for the 2021 season that y'all believe are better than RoJo is there another position that the new staff might be able to better use his talents??

6 hours ago, Post Oak said:

He's a really good player.  There would definitely be a battle between him and Bijan for carries.

No, there wouldn't. Bijan is special and might be approaching that Ricky and Earl category before his career is done. That said, Sark's offense runs the ball enough and throws to backs enough that two RBs should be satisfied with their workload on a weekly basis. Gray is definitely missing a gear that Bijan has, but he is a damn good back and would be an awesome 1-2 punch. I could see them each getting around 15 carries per game plus catches.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What about RoJo ??

If we keep bringing in other RBs for the 2021 season that y'all believe are better than RoJo is there another position that the new staff might be able to better use his talents??

We need a minimum of three quality backs to make it through a season without injuries affecting the game plan with an offense like this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

No, there wouldn't. Bijan is special and might be approaching that Ricky and Earl category before his career is done. That said, Sark's offense runs the ball enough and throws to backs enough that two RBs should be satisfied with their workload on a weekly basis. Gray is definitely missing a gear that Bijan has, but he is a damn good back and would be an awesome 1-2 punch. I could see them each getting around 15 carries per game plus catches.

Doubtful. Sark does not historically split touches. He prefers to identify his best RB and ride that guy for the year. He did it with Bishop Sankey at UW, Buck Allen at USC and Harris at Bama. If they’re splitting carries, it would probably be more along the lines of 22-8 with Bijan getting a vast majority of carries when the game is close. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If Sark is the coach I think he is and learned from Saban, he isn't worried about workload.  IMO, he's bringing in RB's that he feels can push Bijan and maybe even pass him if Bijan doesn't work hard enough.  He may publicly talk about workload because its a nice sound bite.

the "workload" thinking is exactly what we need to get away from.  sure if you find a guy starts to fade after his 25th touch its fine to adjust but you push your best players to the edge.  That's how you win.

That said.  there a more plays in a game than in the campbell days.  you need 2 running backs, especially if you play to throw to them also.

Just now, dcar00 said:

If Sark is the coach I think he is and learned from Saban, he isn't worried about workload.  IMO, he's bringing in RB's that he feels can push Bijan and maybe even pass him if Bijan doesn't work hard enough.  He may publicly talk about workload because its a nice sound bite.

the "workload" thinking is exactly what we need to get away from.  sure if you find a guy starts to fade after his 25th touch its fine to adjust but you push your best players to the edge.  That's how you win.

That said.  there a more plays in a game than in the campbell days.  you need 2 running backs, especially if you plan to throw to them also.

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Fair enough.  If it helps, you could pretend I instead prefaced that by saying “my sources tell me” so you could jizz your pants about someone on the internet guessing about high school recruits’ college potential and offer to pay me $9.95, as opposed to getting offended that someone on the internet is guessing about high school recruits despite not personally working them out.  I’m not fortunate enough to have a son who is best friends with Tunmise so I can access all of these guys. 

We all write dumb shit sometimes. We don't all get intensely defensive when called out on it. But you do you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Could Rojo play defense anywhere?  the kid is a baller and with the continued push to put your best athletes on O maybe something to think about..

you want him to move positions again? LOL

No, we would be bringing in Gray as another guy to add depth and get touches. Roschon isn't moving to defense even if we land both Gray and Johnson

2 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

you want him to move positions again? LOL

No, we would be bringing in Gray as another guy to add depth and get touches. Roschon isn't moving to defense even if we land both Gray and Johnson

LOL.  I don't want him to do anything. It was just a thought. the kid isn't making the NFL as a QB/RB/WR.  maybe he doesn't care at this point.  which is very much fine by the way.

LOL.  I don't want him to do anything. It was just a thought. the kid isn't making the NFL as a QB/RB/WR.  maybe he doesn't care at this point.  which is very much fine by the way.
You never know but he sure as hell should get a look at the NFL at RB. Now if he made it, it'd be good chances it were due to special teams and as a 3rd back.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Given what the QB and RB rooms look like, there's no way he moves to defense. He's not a superstar RB but he will go out there and bust his ass, including in pass pro, and he'll know his assignments. You need guys like that. Plus he can absolutely make things happen with the ball in his hands, even if he's not Bijan. I'm not sure he can't sneak on a team as a RB/special teams guy. NFL teams go through a fuckton of RBs every year.

Ship has sailed on him being a QB full time but we're also only one injury away from thinking about getting him some backup reps. I'd rather Charles Wright not be the only option if it came to that.

Garfield Lawrence  

Everything below the head of that statue fucking sucks. He is shapes.
I like Lawrence as a project, Abiara’s the jag take.
A straight swap from Ingram to Gray would be pretty damn fortunate, imo. The split would look much like Bert said. Even 8 feels a tad high, but they’ll get touches in the passing game, especially if he could spell Whittington, assuming he’s gadgety again.
Ro would be a fantastic H back. Fuck Brewer. He’s a leader on a team with a first year qb, I think he’ll be on the field in a variety of ways. Ro’s a junior in his 3rd year in the backfield. I expect him to play really well.
  • Hook 'Em 1