Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

It could be independent of anything else. Maybe LJ sees what we could be beginning to build here. Other recruits may see something different.
Jimbo has set a nice floor in College Station, I'm just not sure the ceiling is all that high. 
Things are setting up perfectly for aggy, the SEC west imploding and Saban near retirement and being raided for coaches during a year where not many good (realistic) replacements are available. If any team can overcome that it's a Saban coached Bama...but if they stumble just a bit, aggy could luck into the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ousux said:
On 1/21/2021 at 4:44 PM, Tex Pete said:
It could be independent of anything else. Maybe LJ sees what we could be beginning to build here. Other recruits may see something different.
Jimbo has set a nice floor in College Station, I'm just not sure the ceiling is all that high. 

Things are setting up perfectly for aggy, the SEC west imploding and Saban near retirement and being raided for coaches during a year where not many good (realistic) replacements are available. If any team can overcome that it's a Saban coached Bama...but if they stumble just a bit, aggy could luck into the playoffs.

Everyone is a realistic for Bama.

Actually, their history of head coach hiring flops pales in comparison to almost everyone. Getting it right with Saban doesn’t mean they won’t screw it up next time around.

Sure, but 1.) the post was referring to replacing assistants, and 2.) They will still get whoever they want when the time comes. Whether or not they make a good decision is a different discussion entirely.

On 1/23/2021 at 9:19 AM, closetojumping said:

LJ is a legit NFL prospect if he decides he actually wants to compete and be a football player at the next level. Gray doesn’t have any question marks as a college running back. Give me Gray. Potential doesn’t pay the rent. 

I don’t know if the recruiting board is a good transition forum for you after the coaching search. There are a lot of good football threads on the football board where you can post a lot of words and hawt takes in a safe environment. 

Coming to this board and telling us you don’t give a fuck about the 2021 season and not really seeming to grasp why it matters for the future, or that Texas has the talent to be a top 15 team next year, isn’t going to help much. Not knowing that there are 12 games in a regular season college football calendar for all teams is also a grim beginning to your journey here. 

I don't spend much time, if any, on the football boards typically because I can smoke my own damn brisket without having to look at pictures of everyone elses.  The coaching search was another story though as that clearly has huge implications for our future.  I usually just lurk in recruiting and read info from people in the know, like you.  So I appreciate all of your insights throughout the years.   But this question doesn't have a clear answer one way or another.  There are pros and cons to each outcome that can be debated.  Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean it's a "hawt" take or that their opinion is wrong.  It's a preference.  And mine would be to get LJ.

I never said I don't give a fuck about the 2021 season.  Of course it matters.  If we get to or even win the big 12 title game, that is obviously a significant storyline that we can sell.   How much does bringing Gray into the fold instead of LJ increase the odds of that happening?  I'd guess very, very little.  Bijan should get the vast majority of playing time since Sark has proven that he can give a rb more than 12 carries in a game.  If our backup RB is getting more than 6-8 touches next year in a close game, then something has likely gone wrong.  ROJO and LJ would be more than capable of performing that duty.  Having LJ for 4 years, the last 3 of which we hopefully will have a shot at being a legitimate playoff contender is worth more than having 2 years of Gray when the first year we are clearly going to be learning new systems and not in the hunt for the playoffs.  But apparently that is an unreasonable take so I'll fuck off and go back to lurking for a while I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ousux said:
On 1/21/2021 at 4:44 PM, Tex Pete said:

For some reason this does not bother me because I am of the belief that like Atlanta and Cleveland in football and the Netherlands in soccer even if aggy gets close they will either get screwed or screw it up because that is their place in history.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

I don't spend much time, if any, on the football boards typically because I can smoke my own damn brisket without having to look at pictures of everyone elses.  The coaching search was another story though as that clearly has huge implications for our future.  I usually just lurk in recruiting and read info from people in the know, like you.  So I appreciate all of your insights throughout the years.   But this question doesn't have a clear answer one way or another.  There are pros and cons to each outcome that can be debated.  Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean it's a "hawt" take or that their opinion is wrong.  It's a preference.  And mine would be to get LJ.

I never said I don't give a fuck about the 2021 season.  Of course it matters.  If we get to or even win the big 12 title game, that is obviously a significant storyline that we can sell.   How much does bringing Gray into the fold instead of LJ increase the odds of that happening?  I'd guess very, very little.  Bijan should get the vast majority of playing time since Sark has proven that he can give a rb more than 12 carries in a game.  If our backup RB is getting more than 6-8 touches next year in a close game, then something has likely gone wrong.  ROJO and LJ would be more than capable of performing that duty.  Having LJ for 4 years, the last 3 of which we hopefully will have a shot at being a legitimate playoff contender is worth more than having 2 years of Gray when the first year we are clearly going to be learning new systems and not in the hunt for the playoffs.  But apparently that is an unreasonable take so I'll fuck off and go back to lurking for a while I guess. 

I gave you a hard time about acting like the 2021 season is a throwaway for the program, not preferring LJJ. The TB preference is obviously subjective. 

Have some thicker skin and keep posting, JPETERMAN. Don’t let opinionated assholes like me run you off.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I gave you a hard time about acting like the 2021 season is a throwaway for the program, not preferring LJJ. The TB preference is obviously subjective. 

Have some thicker skin and keep posting, JPETERMAN. Don’t let opinionated assholes like me run you off.

Wow, that was nice. Did you catch the VID?

BTW, excellent pickup. You can't have too many players to lessen the tension on the bench. Thanks Suchomel!

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I'll stick around.  I mean I'm due to get some premium inside scoop again soon that I can share.  My last nugget was when I was walking back to the dorm one night and saw "Welcome Montrell Flowers" on the stadium scoreboard when he was in town for a secret unannounced visit.  Posted that on hornfans or whatever the message board was back then faster than you could dial Suzanne Halliburton's hotline.

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Yeah, I'll stick around.  I mean I'm due to get some premium inside scoop again soon that I can share.  My last nugget was when I was walking back to the dorm one night and saw "Welcome Montrell Flowers" on the stadium scoreboard when he was in town for a secret unannounced visit.  Posted that on hornfans or whatever the message board was back then faster than you could dial Suzanne Halliburton's hotline.

How many kidneys did he have at the time?

3 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

I prefer my football players to have 2 kidneys.