Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

1. He brought in Hughes to run the program.  Maybe Hughes and Chang didn't jive?  Maybe they didn't like how Chang and company did things and are wanting to go in a different direction.  Maybe Chang is a die hard Herman guy and they are wanting to remove those types form the program. Maybe Chang thinks Herman got a raw deal and gave Sark double rods when they met....We don't have a clue.  However, at this point in time....I am going to trust Sarkisian's decision making on who to retain and who to cull a lot more than I am going to put faith in Herman's original hires.... I mean I love Carrington and he seems to be great, but lets not forget Chang was hired by the same guy who hired the football coaches for the past few years......Again we don't know, maybe Sark wanted to keep Chang but Chang didn't want to stay or work for Hughes or whatever.  Maybe he was burnt out on the recruiting stuff.....who knows.  Maybe Chang has been coasting on the rest of the staff I have no freaking idea.  Is it possible that Sark had the opportunity to retain Chang and chose to can him for an idiotic reason.....Sure......do I really think that is what happened?  No.

I think the staff overhaul is a nonissue. He kept some guys and wants to reorganize it his way. I don't think it's going to take that long to get fully operational anyway but the short delay can't be helped. There's enough staff around to get going until then.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

So who are the all knowing? I assume you are referring to @golfclap if so would he mind informing us these other support staff that have been let go? 

"I'm going to hold you hostage with my opinion until people with knowledge usurp my opinion with facts" is a winning strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

"I'm going to hold you hostage with my opinion until people with knowledge usurp my opinion with facts" is a winning strategy. 

Bryan Carrington 

JM Jones

Brandon Harris

Jake Langi

Venric Marks

Matt Lange and his whole creative staff

All guys that we know have been confirmed as being retained and a couple Sark had to fight to keep. I’m honestly just asking if anybody can name 1 other person besides Chang, who we replaced within 24 hrs, who  has been let go? Or are we panicking over nothing?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Bryan Carrington 

JM Jones

Brandon Harris

Jake Langi

Venric Marks

Matt Lange and his whole creative staff

All guys that we know have been confirmed as being retained and a couple Sark had to fight to keep. I’m honestly just asking if anybody can name 1 other person besides Chang, who we replaced within 24 hrs, who  has been let go? Or are we panicking over nothing?

I've seen a few guys on twitter who other support staff have vouched for in an attempt to get them hired elsewhere.  All entry-level type staff.

30 minutes ago, MaxHorn said:

This commitment makes me really happy. My nephew was a senior DB for Flower Mound during the 2019 season so I attended all of the games, and Auburn has a really strong leg. He's also a really nice kid.

if there is a hope of getting a guy in as a PWO without burning a ship up front, then I am ok with that

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This isn't Oceans 14 - Austin Style, where everyone converges on Bellmont at the same time, high-fiving and grabbing cell phones to make calls all at once, shortly after a travel montage set to Weeknd's "Blinding Lights" or some shit shows them getting there from disparate locations.

You spelling The Weeknd's name right absolutely blew my mind. I'm impressed, pos rep for that.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, MaxHorn said:

This commitment makes me really happy. My nephew was a senior DB for Flower Mound during the 2019 season so I attended all of the games, and Auburn has a really strong leg. He's also a really nice kid.

No way, I probably saw you at the games. I had to watch most of them from my car due to some legal BS about not being within 500 feet of a school zone. And thank you for the kind words about Laramie, his mother and Kyle (stepdad) and I raised him to be polite. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The timing expectation provided around this premise is absurd. Sarkisian didn't know he had the job until roughly NYD. Then outreach might begin in earnest, while balancing CFbP needs for 12 days. How much time, given all of that and whenever he spoke to Hughes, is Hughes supposed to have had to have his "3 or 4 guys" fucking sewn up, packed, moved, and in-territory recruiting and gladhanding? It's 1/25. 

I'd maybe expect a quicker turn around if we had just hired a sitting HC, who had a staff loyal to him, and who could at the very least swap out personnell quickly and seamlessly.... if not the whole department. But we're talking about an assistant who coached through the last minute possible, who doesn't have his own recruiting staff, and hasn't been an HC in a significant amount of years. I think we might be expecting too much for wanting it to be so seamless, though I can understand the benefits of it. 

To add, it seems there's a bit of a hiccup in information on exactly how many were let go and who, and if it was before being replaced etc... There may have been enough in place for the more "behind the scenes" communications to have continued some. 

Edited by UncleBuck

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the Chang vs Hughes/Sarkisian concern from @SydneyCarton, @golfclap, and @Ricky's one-hitter is worthy of examination, but I struggle to get behind it until more comes out about what's going on. 

For one, while I'm of the opinion that Chang's team was solid at evaluations, I don't think that's an exclusive feature for a good recruiting department. That should be table stakes for anyone in that role at a program of Texas' reach. Hughes has plenty of skins on the wall to point at from UCF forward in his own right. The handwringing over trading out Hughes for Chang is unwarranted from the "can the new guy meet the performance of the old guy?" concern.

So I don't get the big deal about wanting to replace a person in a key role with your guy. There doesn't seem to have been any hesitation about that move by Sarkisian. Maybe you guys don't see this as a turnaround since it was one of the elements that was fine under Herman, but that's never how hostile regime change works. It's actually shocking that Sarkisian has kept as many on-field and off-field staff as he has. "I don't care how they were doing it. That got everyone fired. If I'm going to get fired or win, we're going to face that doing it my way." 

So then you're left with a speed to market issue. The program is playing from behind on offseason work such as tournament and camp attendance. Okay. The notion that the new guy should hit the ground running immediately with "3 to 4 of his guys" is an easy thing to say, and a harder thing to do. Know how I know? I've done it, at times with even more than "3 to 4 guys" in tow. Not in football, but in the same fashion. Asking people to uproot immediately and be at the next place overnight is easier said than done. The less money they're making, even if you're offering a step-up, the less quickly many can move. This isn't a fucking movie. This isn't Oceans 14 - Austin Style, where everyone converges on Bellmont at the same time, high-fiving and grabbing cell phones to make calls all at once, shortly after a travel montage set to Weeknd's "Blinding Lights" or some shit shows them getting there from disparate locations.

The timing expectation provided around this premise is absurd. Sarkisian didn't know he had the job until roughly NYD. Then outreach might begin in earnest, while balancing CFbP needs for 12 days. How much time, given all of that and whenever he spoke to Hughes, is Hughes supposed to have had to have his "3 or 4 guys" fucking sewn up, packed, moved, and in-territory recruiting and gladhanding? It's 1/25. 

This Hughes dude's background includes installing a frontline of students doing research and analysis, coordinating with the on-campus relations partner, and then building out the full-time staff for off-campus relations, camp creations, etc. If he and Chang didn't handle it the same way, he's going to want it done his way. 

2021 is a sunk cost for the new off-field staff. Maybe they get lucky following a lead or two, but that's it besides the obvious pre-existing targets. So they're late to the party on 2022 and 2023? Take the effort to do it right the first time and count on performance and brand to sling-shot the program forward again once you've laid a foundation on bedrock. 

That's exactly how I see it. Sark likes the talent already on the roster, he has already stated that this turn around is going to be quicker than most expect. He is satisfied with what 2021 recruits we already have signed, and there just isn't much left out there for 2021 that you risk a hurried search for bodies to put in your recruiting front office. I think he told Hughes to take your time and get the hires right. They are gonna hit on the highly ranked 2022 kids, stay in their ear, and let the 2021 season do the speaking for them.

CHIEF

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think the Chang vs Hughes/Sarkisian concern from @SydneyCarton, @golfclap, and @Ricky's one-hitter is worthy of examination, but I struggle to get behind it until more comes out about what's going on. 

For one, while I'm of the opinion that Chang's team was solid at evaluations, I don't think that's an exclusive feature for a good recruiting department. That should be table stakes for anyone in that role at a program of Texas' reach. Hughes has plenty of skins on the wall to point at from UCF forward in his own right. The handwringing over trading out Hughes for Chang is unwarranted from the "can the new guy meet the performance of the old guy?" concern.

So I don't get the big deal about wanting to replace a person in a key role with your guy. There doesn't seem to have been any hesitation about that move by Sarkisian. Maybe you guys don't see this as a turnaround since it was one of the elements that was fine under Herman, but that's never how hostile regime change works. It's actually shocking that Sarkisian has kept as many on-field and off-field staff as he has. "I don't care how they were doing it. That got everyone fired. If I'm going to get fired or win, we're going to face that doing it my way." 

So then you're left with a speed to market issue. The program is playing from behind on offseason work such as tournament and camp attendance. Okay. The notion that the new guy should hit the ground running immediately with "3 to 4 of his guys" is an easy thing to say, and a harder thing to do. Know how I know? I've done it, at times with even more than "3 to 4 guys" in tow. Not in football, but in the same fashion. Asking people to uproot immediately and be at the next place overnight is easier said than done. The less money they're making, even if you're offering a step-up, the less quickly many can move. This isn't a fucking movie. This isn't Oceans 14 - Austin Style, where everyone converges on Bellmont at the same time, high-fiving and grabbing cell phones to make calls all at once, shortly after a travel montage set to Weeknd's "Blinding Lights" or some shit shows them getting there from disparate locations.

This Hughes dude's background includes installing a frontline of students doing research and analysis, coordinating with the on-campus relations partner, and then building out the full-time staff for off-campus relations, camp creations, etc. If he and Chang didn't handle it the same way, he's going to want it done his way. 

2021 is a sunk cost for the new off-field staff. Maybe they get lucky following a lead or two, but that's it besides the obvious pre-existing targets. So they're late to the party on 2022 and 2023? Take the effort to do it right the first time and count on performance and brand to sling-shot the program forward again once you've laid a foundation on bedrock. 

I don't trust Sark to be here for very long. If Texas isn't going to be a revolving door of football org roles and people, not to mention coaches, than Sark needs to win right now. This is an excellent staff, almost all around. If he can win, I believe there are at least 2 or 3 guys that could bump to hc from this staff and keep it rolling. But, he has to win. Otherwise, it's another very public, and very on-brand crash and burn of an exciting hire at HC. 

The roster needs some work and it doesn't really matter what we think about the timing of these hires, or whether it's outrageous to expect these decisions to be made by now. It matters what the prospects think. Anybody know? The 9.95ers are packaging that data into 9.95 speak. "He looks forward to getting to know the new staff". " He wants to know if his offer is still good". I think we'll do fine in '22, I'm just worried that unforced errors will make it harder than it should be to land a top 10 class. Imo, there will be a direct correlation with this class and whether it will be a HC promotion from within or a regime change in 2-3 years.  

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Relax a little bit, man. 

I hear you, but we're fucking Texas. We've been wandering the wilderness since '09.

Late stage Mack fucked us. Strong was a bad hire. Herman was a bad guy. Every coach has their demons, but excuse me if I'm worried that we followed this illustrious group with a guy that was drunk on the sideline as head coach of a blue blood.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I hear you, but we're fucking Texas. We've been wandering the wilderness since '09.

Late stage Mack fucked us. Strong was a bad hire. Herman was a bad guy. Every coach has their demons, but excuse me if I'm worried that we followed this illustrious group with a guy that was drunk on the sideline as head coach of a blue blood.

rjyxRO.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Every coach has their demons, but excuse me if I'm worried that we followed this illustrious group with a guy that was drunk on the sideline as head coach of a blue blood.

I can get people being worried, it's just difficult to debate these things when one side is presenting their case through a lens where the expectation is that the coach shows up drunk and naked during pre-game warm-ups 2-3 seasons from now. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't trust Sark to be here for very long. If Texas isn't going to be a revolving door of football org roles and people, not to mention coaches, than Sark needs to win right now. This is an excellent staff, almost all around. If he can win, I believe there are at least 2 or 3 guys that could bump to hc from this staff and keep it rolling. But, he has to win. Otherwise, it's another very public, and very on-brand crash and burn of an exciting hire at HC. 

The roster needs some work and it doesn't really matter what we think about the timing of these hires, or whether it's outrageous to expect these decisions to be made by now. It matters what the prospects think. Anybody know? The 9.95ers are packaging that data into 9.95 speak. "He looks forward to getting to know the new staff". " He wants to know if his offer is still good". I think we'll do fine in '22, I'm just worried that unforced errors will make it harder than it should be to land a top 10 class. Imo, there will be a direct correlation with this class and whether it will be a HC promotion from within or a regime change in 2-3 years.  

You're in too deep.

29 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I can get people being worried, it's just difficult to debate these things when one side is presenting their case through a lens where the expectation is that the coach shows up drunk and naked during pre-game warm-ups 2-3 seasons from now. 

I mean if we're going fail, at least let it happen this way.  I would be able to laugh my ass off while crying in my beer

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Any info on the offset savings to TEXAS with Herb getting a new job at Charlotte??  

(Texas still owed Herb $700k for final year of his contract through the 2021 season)

I think they are paying him mainly with pimento cheese sandwiches and subpar carolina style bbq.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Did anyone confirm if Sark is planning to take his LOI?

2 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

My guess would be no based on nothing more than having way too many bodies already in the WR room. No need to waste spots on a 3 star in ‘21 if going after 4/5 stars in ‘22.

Sark's going to take his LOI, there's been nothing but "yeah he's going to sign" coming from the 995ers.

He's also fast as shit, which our WR room lacks at the moment.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

Sark's going to take his LOI, there's been nothing but "yeah he's going to sign" coming from the 995ers.
He's also fast as shit, which our WR room lacks at the moment.

Fair enough, I still have no idea how fast or not fast our WRs are based on the playcalling, WR rotation and accuracy issues by our previous QB.