Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I hear you, but we're fucking Texas. We've been wandering the wilderness since '09.

Late stage Mack fucked us. Strong was a bad hire. Herman was a bad guy. Every coach has their demons, but excuse me if I'm worried that we followed this illustrious group with a guy that was drunk on the sideline as head coach of a blue blood.

This was my starting point, but I have moved pretty far away from this based on the coaching staff he put in place. Kwiatkowski seems to be a grand slam and was his most important hire. I’m no recruiting guru (but appreciate the inside info from Surly) and have no clue how quick these changes should or could have been made, but it seemed like the ship had left port on 2021 anyway.

Trade the one hitter for a bong. We got a long way to September 

31 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Anyone hearing any more noise about Ricks leaving lsu ??

Also...

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ricks seems like a done deal. Embody says he told Orgeron he’s gone

Anyone want to guess where he went to HS before transferring to IMG?

What about who his primary recruiter was at Bama? 

On 1/25/2021 at 8:36 AM, RGBIII said:

TFB

Hide contents

One of Sark’s first orders of business was to bring in one of the original Alabama Saban personnel guys in Drew Hughes. Sark plans to build out a personnel and recruiting department similar to the one Nick Saban has at Alabama.

When coach Herman got to Texas he beefed up the recruiting but from what we are told Sark is going to expand it even more.

You may see a “front office” twice the size of the previous one. In fact, I’m told that Texas plans to hire not one, but two directors of high school relations.

So, for those of you who have asked if there will be some high school coaches hired, I think that is certainly a possible. Texas is going to pay the personnel guys enough that they will be able to attract quite a bit of talent. From what I’ve heard, the salary increases for guys in the office sound pretty significant.

I wonder if the the guy from Arizona mentioned during the coaching search is a guy they'd pursue for one of these roles. Jason Mohns out of Arizona, I believe was his name. 

20 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Bryan Carrington 

JM Jones

Brandon Harris

Jake Langi

Venric Marks

Matt Lange and his whole creative staff

All guys that we know have been confirmed as being retained and a couple Sark had to fight to keep. I’m honestly just asking if anybody can name 1 other person besides Chang, who we replaced within 24 hrs, who  has been let go? Or are we panicking over nothing?

The Lovo guy.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wonder if the the guy from Arizona mentioned during the coaching search is a guy they'd pursue for one of these roles. Jason Mohns out of Arizona, I believe was his name. 

Saguaro guy, Kelee Ringos school. Bryant Westbrook (Who coaches corners there) seems like a fantastic fit for one of those positions

17 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I hear you, but we're fucking Texas. We've been wandering the wilderness since '09.

Late stage Mack fucked us. Strong was a bad hire. Herman was a bad guy. Every coach has their demons, but excuse me if I'm worried that we followed this illustrious group with a guy that was drunk on the sideline as head coach of a blue blood. Now quit being a beta cuck pessimistic bitch and put your big boy pants on and lets fucking be positive. 

Since 09? If it weren't for VY and colt we'd hae been wandering the wilderness since 1984. This hire is the most non UT type hire since before DKR. I think that speaks volumes more than anything after the fact or hand wringing over personnel support department.

Fucking energy takers man, i swear. All Gas, no brakes!

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The Lovo guy.

With all of the portal activity Texas almost needs a full time person just to monitor the "free agent" wire.

It will be a very impactful part of roster management as any transfer you take I would assume you believe can come in and play minutes.

Need HS focused folks

JUCO focused folks

Portal focused folks

Then just blast all of the UT NIL stuff all over the place to saturate the landscape with Longhorn messaging. It would be interesting to see if you could almost make it "opt-out" for messaging from UT if you were ever recruited by Texas. This way they constantly still get messages in their inbox/twitter feeds from UT about its program/athletes/endorsements/draft picks etc. Put an unsubscribe function at bottom of them if player wants to not receive but otherwise you stay in constant contact with kids you recruited and perhaps you can get them on the rebound if they transfer. Recency bias and all that good stuff.

IT

Spoiler

What to make of 2021 RB recruiting:
Tennessee transfer RB Eric Gray was said to be a leaning to Oklahoma over Texas after weekend visits to both. But now comes the time to see which program will push for the 5-foot-9, 205-pound downhill back that rushed for nearly 800 yards in Knoxville in 2020. Gray has asked the Texas staff about the process for making the move to Austin, according to a source in Memphis. That doesn’t mean he heads to Texas. The same source said Oklahoma was the favorite as of Sunday night, so it will come down to if the Sooners want to potentially disrupt the RB room in Norman. A decision could come at any moment.

L.J. Johnson’s recruitment continues to puzzle both Texas and Texas A&M. Johnson has graduated from Cy-Fair. He has the ability to be on campus at Texas or Texas A&M and go through offseason workouts. Him not doing so is making both staffs a little uncomfortable.

Texas still zeroing in on 2021 DE’s:
Tyler Legacy DE Garfield Lawrence has concluded his student visits to Texas and Houston. According to a source close to Lawrence, there is a preference for the 6-foot-4, 245-pounder to make a decision by Friday, potentially by Wednesday or Thursday. The size of the University of Texas was somewhat overwhelming to Lawrence. The University of Houston staff has worked hard on that angle. They've also sold him on being an early impact player for the Cougars. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis was in contact with Lawrence and the Tyler Legacy coaching staff on Monday evening.

David Abiara announced via Twitter that he will be signing with the school of his choice on February 3rd. That is still expected to be Texas over Washington barring a major change according to a source in Mansfield. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound DE with broad shoulders, long arms and 10-inch hands has been in constant contact with various members of the Texas staff in recent days.

Should Texas look at a second transfer defensive end, watch out for Notre Dame’s Ovie Oghoufo. Texas has been in contact with the 6-foot-3, 240-pound end that played high school ball in Michigan.

Justin Wells checks in on 2021 Austin Uke:
For 6-foot-4, 265-pound Parish Episcopal OL Austin Uke, time isn’t on his side.

He has a big decision coming up. After building relationships with all these coaches, telling schools “no” is extremely difficult.

“I’m not going to lie, that’s probably the hardest part about this whole process,” said Uke. “But I’d say the schools standing out right now are probably USC, Stanford, Texas, Northwestern, OU, and Penn State.”

Uke remains the lone OL target in-state for the Horns in 2021 and they’re trying to grab the rising prospect with little time to spare.

“I see what (Sarkisian and Flood) did for Alabama this year,” said Uke. "It’s got me excited for what they’ll do at Texas.”

I don’t have a feel for this one, but the new staff has approached Uke with a fervor. And he’s noticed.

He has a big decision to make soon and Texas is making sure they get its say in the process.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This hire is the most non UT type hire since before DKR. I think that speaks volumes more than anything after the fact or hand wringing over personnel support department.

Look, I get the excitement because it's the KoolAid hour of a new coach hire - with the fresh new hire smell, but if you don't see a reason for people to be trepidatious about Sarkisian and his hires, I don't know what to tell you. So let's do the run down -- he's 46-35 all time including 31-26 in conference. He's never won a conference title despite having the most talented team in the conference by a large margin in each season at USC. He was fired for being drunk on the sidelines (and failing spectacularly in his duties as HC). He's a recovering alcoholic coming to the most stressful job of his career in a city that parties hard as fuck. There's certainly some wiggle room in the level of excitement and belief. 

As to the hand wringing over the personnel support department, when you hire some terrible evaluators to your staff (Terry Joseph for example) you put a lot more pressure on the personnel department. Again, I think anyone having some mild trepidation about unforced errors from that department is well within the bounds of reason. This isn't the same as questioning an Urban Meyer decision. Until Sark proves that he's grown and changed on and off the field, there's room for question and concern. 

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Look, I get the excitement because it's the KoolAid hour of a new coach hire - with the fresh new hire smell, but if you don't see a reason for people to be trepidatious about Sarkisian and his hires, I don't know what to tell you. So let's do the run down -- he's 46-35 all time including 31-26 in conference. He's never won a conference title despite having the most talented team in the conference by a large margin in each season at USC. He was fired for being drunk on the sidelines (and failing spectacularly in his duties as HC). He's a recovering alcoholic coming to the most stressful job of his career in a city that parties hard as fuck. There's certainly some wiggle room in the level of excitement and belief. 

As to the hand wringing over the personnel support department, when you hire some terrible evaluators to your staff (Terry Joseph for example) you put a lot more pressure on the personnel department. Again, I think anyone having some mild trepidation about unforced errors from that department is well within the bounds of reason. This isn't the same as questioning an Urban Meyer decision. Until Sark proves that he's grown and changed on and off the field, there's room for question and concern. 

He took over a winless Washington team

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, golfclap said:

the big lebowski opinion GIF by The Good Films

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

He took over a winless Washington team

I didn't say there wasn't a lot of reasons to be excited - there are A LOT of reasons - simply pointing out that there were and are logical and reasonable reasons to be have some concerns. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He's never won a conference title despite having the most talented team in the conference by a large margin in each season at USC.

He was fired after a few games in season two at USC, so this just means he didn't win the conference in year one there. 

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

With all due respect - the idea that Austin offers more temptations to an alcoholic than anywhere else is stupid as fuck.  

Absolutely. It's all dependent on the personality of the individual, for starters. For seconds, Austin offers a very public drinking scene, like most any major city. I would imagine Sark is smart enough to booze privately, if he is going to. 

There are going to be concerns with Sark, from alcohol to decisions he's made with the staff etc..., but there doesn't need to be any sanding of our vaginas over imaginary shit. 

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

He was fired after a few games in season two at USC, so this just means he didn't win the conference in year one there. 

With a bunch of scholarship restrictions. 

@golfclap's a smart guy, he's just explaining that there's a reasonable negative recruiting sell there, and that this isn't going to be a guaranteed success (same as pretty much any hire).

Edited by texifornia

Just now, Red Five said:

Nor in the five seasons at Washington, where he was never better than 5-4 in conference. I mean, I'm not trying to go down that entire rabbit hole - just pointing out some trepidation is valid. 

40 minutes ago, golfclap said:

There are some valid points here, but if you don't take his last five or so years into account I really don't know what to tell you. It seems pretty clear to me that he has grown as a person, has gotten help, and has just walked out of the most successful program in modern history. Now he wants to model much of what he saw about Bama here. Then he followed that up with taking a majority of their offensive staff and hiring a very solid defensive staff. He has made mention numerous times already that he still has a sponsor and goes to meetings for the alcoholism.

Saban didn't become the success that he is before stops at Michigan State and the Dolphins. It is not unheard of for a coach to be unsuccessful his first go round or two before he gets it. Same goes for Belichek, and Pete Carroll, and many others. He may not be successful here, but it certainly won't be because he wasn't given every opportunity to succeed. So far, it seems he is utilizing his resources to their highest potential. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

but there doesn't need to be any sanding of our vaginas over imaginary shit.

This is the problem. Right here. This is why I replied to BO&W talking to Ricky's one-hitter in the first place. What is the imaginary shit?

Further, Is anyone panicked or sanding their vagina? No. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

There are some valid points here, but if you don't take his last five or so years into account I really don't know what to tell you.

I have, hence this quote for example :: 

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I didn't say there wasn't a lot of reasons to be excited - there are A LOT of reasons

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

What is the imaginary shit?

That a recovering alcoholic, five years sober (hopefully), is going to have a harder time staying off the sauce in Austin vs. anywhere else he'll be coaching on the planet, just because Austin "parties hard as fuck." So does Tuscaloosa. So does Atlanta. So does just about anywhere if you're an alcoholic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Final rivals in-state rankings

1) Tommy Brockermeyer
2) Donovan Jackson
3) Ja'Tavion Sanders
4) Bryce Foster
5) Clayton Smith
6) Tunmise Adeleye
7) Camar Wheaton
'8) Shemar Turner
9) JoJo Earle
10) LJ Johnson
11) Billy Bowman
12) Quay Davis
13) Reuben Fatheree
14) Jalen Milroe
15) Latrell McCutchin
16) Garrett Nussmeier
17) Savion Byrd
18) JD Coffey
19) Kendrick Blackshire
20) Preston Stone
21) Deuce Harmon
22) Marcus Burris
23) Kaidon Salter
24) Ezra Dotson-Oyetade
25) Hunter Washington
26) Ketron Jackson
27) Brandon Campbell
28) Shadrach Banks
29) J. Michael Sturdivant
30) Sawyer Robertson
31) Andrew Mukuba
32) Cody Jackson
33) Elijah Arroyo
34) Theodore Knox

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2021

I watched zero senior hudls, but no Terrance Cooks seems par for the course for Rivals

Edited by Fud