Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Roach

Spoiler

— I received word last night that Eric Gray was expected to make his decision yesterday. Him holding off on a decision doesn’t indicate anything good for Texas at this point. The Longhorns have been pushing for the Tennessee transfer product, but Oklahoma is still deciding whether or not he’s a take at this point. In my opinion, any delay is to allow Oklahoma some more time to decide upon whether or not the Sooners will take him. With several of his closest friends making the move from Knoxville to Norman, it feels like this one could be slipping away for Texas.  It sounds like the presence of Bijan Robinson may be too big a factor.  I'd bet on the Sooners here.

— I get the sense there’s some frustration with both Texas A&M and Texas when it comes to LJ Johnson. Both schools feel like they’ve been able to show everything they have, and both schools would like to have the four-star back enrolled and taking part in offseason workouts by now. Johnson continues to show no sense of urgency when it comes down to it, and I feel the momentum that was on Texas A&M’s side a few weeks ago seems all but gone. This is back to a coin flip in every sense, and momentum could swing pending a student visit from Johnson that’s expected sometime between now and signing day.  It's looking less likely that Johnson will enroll early no matter where he chooses. My Crystal Ball is still on the Aggies, but I’ve lowered the confidence score to a 1.

— Speaking of running backs, I’m told that Gabriel Watson will likely return for another year at Texas. Watson saw limited action after transferring from Sioux Falls last offseason. He’s been good for the locker room and will give the Longhorns another body at the position as they go through spring.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Also Michael Taffee the white DB from Westlake, he was followed by Gideon and he has been liking a bunch of Texas stuff. He is the one that caught those picks off Ewers.

7 hours ago, Fud said:

I think he means Taffee

7 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

No I’m talking about Taffe not Luke, my bad, Should’ve been more specific.

Taaffe

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— I received word last night that Eric Gray was expected to make his decision yesterday. Him holding off on a decision doesn’t indicate anything good for Texas at this point. The Longhorns have been pushing for the Tennessee transfer product, but Oklahoma is still deciding whether or not he’s a take at this point. In my opinion, any delay is to allow Oklahoma some more time to decide upon whether or not the Sooners will take him. With several of his closest friends making the move from Knoxville to Norman, it feels like this one could be slipping away for Texas.  It sounds like the presence of Bijan Robinson may be too big a factor.  I'd bet on the Sooners here.

— I get the sense there’s some frustration with both Texas A&M and Texas when it comes to LJ Johnson. Both schools feel like they’ve been able to show everything they have, and both schools would like to have the four-star back enrolled and taking part in offseason workouts by now. Johnson continues to show no sense of urgency when it comes down to it, and I feel the momentum that was on Texas A&M’s side a few weeks ago seems all but gone. This is back to a coin flip in every sense, and momentum could swing pending a student visit from Johnson that’s expected sometime between now and signing day.  It's looking less likely that Johnson will enroll early no matter where he chooses. My Crystal Ball is still on the Aggies, but I’ve lowered the confidence score to a 1.

— Speaking of running backs, I’m told that Gabriel Watson will likely return for another year at Texas. Watson saw limited action after transferring from Sioux Falls last offseason. He’s been good for the locker room and will give the Longhorns another body at the position as they go through spring.

Sounds like Eric Gray might be a pussy if he doesn't want to battle it out. He knows Bijan would have him carrying his pads. 

I'd love to have LJ, but at this point I just want Blue in '22. Bijan, Rojo, Brooks should be fine for the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Sounds like Eric Gray might be a pussy if he doesn't want to battle it out. He knows Bijan would have him carrying his pads. 

I'd love to have LJ, but at this point I just want Blue in '22. Bijan, Rojo, Brooks should be fine for the season. 

He's not a pussy for wanting to maximize his draft stock on a team that should be really good next year, come on dude. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marshall_Lucky said:

Spent almost twenty years in the PNW between Seattle, Sebastopol, CA and PDX. Portland cranks the freak knob to 11. Makes Austin look like Lubbock... you have no idea.

My old neighbor in Kirkland was a Husky letterman in the 70’s on the Sonny Sixkiller teams. Old school Seattle... Norwegian dude from Ballard. He blames the tech invasion and subsequent “pussification” for U-Dub’s mediocrity. Used to be a total blue-collar state where your old man either logged, fished or worked on the line at Boeing. 

Or was a department head in charge of aerospace development and coordination with NASA.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Spent almost twenty years in the PNW between Seattle, Sebastopol, CA and PDX. Portland cranks the freak knob to 11. Makes Austin look like Lubbock... you have no idea.
My old neighbor in Kirkland was a Husky letterman in the 70’s on the Sonny Sixkiller teams. Old school Seattle... Norwegian dude from Ballard. He blames the tech invasion and subsequent “pussification” for U-Dub’s mediocrity. Used to be a total blue-collar state where your old man either logged, fished or worked on the line at Boeing. 

Washington is better now than it was in the 70s so that’s a take.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sounds like the grad transfer took Lawrence's spot.

Texas needed a guy that can be on the depth chart next year. Lawrence has great potential but he's a 2 year (at a minimum) project at Texas.

Now it looks like the depth chart may be full at the DE/OLB hybrid position with Bimage, Thornton, Oghoufo, and hopefully a re-engaged Dorbah.

Edited by HtownHorn

Gerry:

Spoiler

Abiara, and big game hunting:
The commitments of Thornton and Oghoufo will push Tyler Legacy DE Garfield Lawrence to Houston, where he is expected to commit today. Lawrence felt slightly overwhelmed at Texas, and the new staff prefers high school prospects that want to jump into competition. With that said, I fully expect Garfield Lawrence to blossom into a terrific player for Houston.

Mansfield Legacy DE David Abiara remains a heavy Texas lean as of Tuesday with an announcement to come February 3.

That leaves Texas in a position to go big game hunting if there is going to a be a fourth DL/EDGE player added in the 2021 class. The Texas staff would love to get in on five-star J.T. Tuimoloau, but that could only realistically happen should the 6-foot-4, 285-pounder not sign in February and take his recruitment into the spring. Alabama, Ohio State, Washington, USC and Oregon remain the serious contenders until proven otherwise. The Longhorns would also make a run at EDGE prospect Dylan Brooks (Handley High/Roanoke, AL) and/or DT KaTron Evans (St. Francis Academy/Baltimore) if either become in play.

Speaking of big game hunting, with the Longhorns currently over the number that Steve Sarkisian wants at wide receiver, it would take a prospect the caliber of Xavier Worthy to add another in the 2021 class.

Gray expected to commit to OU today:
Tennessee transfer RB Eric Gray is expected to make it official and commit to Oklahoma today. With L.J. Johnson standing in line at a restaurant and staring at the menu for the last month, where the Longhorns could go at running back remains in question.

Texas has reached out to Camar Wheaton and people close to him, but as of Monday things weren’t trending in the right direction for the Longhorns.

So unless L.J. Johnson makes a decision between Texas and Texas A&M soon, or Wheaton backs off his Alabama verbal, another running back in the 2021 class remains more of a question than answer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

They gave him his 5th star, but they actually dropped him in the rankings. He was #21 before this.

Composite v 247 internal. He's now 12 in the composite with the bump from 247

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/247Sports.com#247Sports_Composite

247Sports features two ratings for high school football and basketball recruits: its own in-house evaluations done by its scouting staff, and also the 247Sports Composite ratings. The Composite aggregates the public ratings for a prospect by the major recruiting services using a propriety algorithm.[11] The Composite originally combined the ratings from 247Sports' in-house ratings, Rivals.com, ESPN, and Scout.com. Since 247Sports' acquisition of Scout in 2017, the Composite now only includes the former three constituent ratings. The Composite also does not include any athletes that do not yet have a recruiting profile on 247Sports, to prevent spoofs from other sites.[12] The resulting rankings can be considered an industry consensus on the top recruits in the nation.[13][14]

Ohio State will likely finish with 5 of the top 10 recruits in 247's final rankings. That's quite the feat considering how schools like Bama, Georgia, and Clemson are recruiting

1) JT Tuimoloau- DL, likely Ohio State
2) Korey Foreman- DL, USC
3) Leonard Taylor- DL, Miami
4) JC Latham- OL, Bama
5) Jack Sawyer- DL, Ohio State
6) Donovan Jackson- OL, Ohio State
7) Caleb Williams- QB- OU
😎 Emeka Egbuka- WR, Ohio State
9) Tommy Brockermeyre- OT, Bama
10) TreVeyon Henderson- RB, Ohio State
11) Dallas Turner- DL, Bama
12) Ga'Quincy McKinstry- CB, Bama
13) James Williams- S, Miami
14) Amarius Mims- OL, Georgia
15) Tristan Leigh- OL, Clemson
16) Nolan Rucci- OL, Wisconsin
17) Barrett Carter- LB, Clemson
18) Nyland Green- CB, Georgia
19) Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins- DL, Georgia
20) Smael Mondon- OLB, Georgia
21) Demeioun Robinson- LB, Maryland
22) Sam Huard- QB, Washington
23) Drake Maye- QB, UNC
24) Jason Marshall- CB, Florida
25) Terrion Arnold- S, uncommitted
26) Jacorey Brooks- WR, Bama
27) Keeshawn Silver- DL, UNC
28) Deontae Laweson- LB, Bama
29) Ja'Tavion Sanders- ATH, Texas
30) Maason Smith- DL, LSU
31) Kingsley Suamataia- OL, Oregon
32) Donovan Edwars- RB, Michigan

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Composite v 247 internal. He's now 12 in the composite with the bump from 247

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/247Sports.com#247Sports_Composite

I know what the composite is. He dropped in the 247 rankings.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

247 didn’t bump him. They moved him down from #21 to #29.

The bump came from Rivals, he jumped 49 spots there, up to #13 nationally.

Edited by Lonestar88

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ohio State will likely finish with 5 of the top 10 recruits in 247's final rankings. That's quite the feat considering how schools like Bama, Georgia, and Clemson are recruiting

1) JT Tuimoloau- DL, likely Ohio State
2) Korey Foreman- DL, USC
3) Leonard Taylor- DL, Miami
4) JC Latham- OL, Bama
5) Jack Sawyer- DL, Ohio State
6) Donovan Jackson- OL, Ohio State
7) Caleb Williams- QB- OU
😎 Emeka Egbuka- WR, Ohio State
9) Tommy Brockermeyre- OT, Bama
10) TreVeyon Henderson- RB, Ohio State
11) Dallas Turner- DL, Bama
12) Ga'Quincy McKinstry- CB, Bama
13) James Williams- S, Miami
14) Amarius Mims- OL, Georgia
15) Tristan Leigh- OL, Clemson
16) Nolan Rucci- OL, Wisconsin
17) Barrett Carter- LB, Clemson
18) Nyland Green- CB, Georgia
19) Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins- DL, Georgia
20) Smael Mondon- OLB, Georgia
21) Demeioun Robinson- LB, Maryland
22) Sam Huard- QB, Washington
23) Drake Maye- QB, UNC
24) Jason Marshall- CB, Florida
25) Terrion Arnold- S, uncommitted
26) Jacorey Brooks- WR, Bama
27) Keeshawn Silver- DL, UNC
28) Deontae Laweson- LB, Bama
29) Ja'Tavion Sanders- ATH, Texas
30) Maason Smith- DL, LSU
31) Kingsley Suamataia- OL, Oregon
32) Donovan Edwars- RB, Michigan

They must be winning lots of championships with all that talent...

Agree that a series with Washington would be amazing. Or Oregon for that matter. That entire PNW area is just beautiful in the fall. 

With all the tech companies and startups coming to Austin, feels like it has a lot more in common with Seattle and Portland than ever. Although Portland kind of feels like it has been trying too hard to match Austin's culture/weirdness for a while now. 
Say what now? Seattle and Portland are the originals when it comes to weirdness. Austin may have given them a run for the money 25 years ago or so, but not these days when the weirdness seems a little forced.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
22 hours ago, Octavian said:
Agree that a series with Washington would be amazing. Or Oregon for that matter. That entire PNW area is just beautiful in the fall. 

With all the tech companies and startups coming to Austin, feels like it has a lot more in common with Seattle and Portland than ever. Although Portland kind of feels like it has been trying too hard to match Austin's culture/weirdness for a while now. 

Say what now? Seattle and Portland are the originals when it comes to weirdness. Austin may have given them a run for the money 25 years ago or so, but not these days when the weirdness seems a little forced.

At this point, I'd say this is true everywhere but Surly...it's in our fucking bones.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Weirdness has changed in Austin, Portland, and Seattle. Austin use to be Willie Nelson and Vietnam vet liberal. Seattle and Portland use to have their own flavor based on the fishing industry. San Francisco was home to flower children. Now they are all pretty standard California liberal. I wouldn't call any of them weird at all: It isn't counterculture. It is like someone coloring their hair red, getting a mohawk, wearing leather and going to a punk bar. Everyone is the same and they are just doing the same thing their friends are doing so they can fit into their own clique.

Cobra Kai and Karate kid imagines - Hawk (friends?) part 1 - Wattpad

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Fair, both are weird though. Drayton is going on 10 days now which looks like much longer than usual on quick glance.

I think Brendan Harris does most digital stuff for him, so it's probably connected to the sluggishness in letting him and Carrington know they were getting rehired.

45 minutes ago, ousux said:
22 hours ago, Octavian said:

I'd say Austin is weird and Portland if f'in nuts.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

So did I. They’re at the very least roughly equal. They were a 9-10 win program with a few conference titles in the late 70s/early 80s and that’s what they are now. With the CFP in 16 to boot.

Ok.  I guess you have a higher opinion of them than I do.  That was a plateau based upon Sark leaving in a good place talent wise and a really good gameday coach coming in.  I see Washington as an 8 win team this past decade with a 1 off blip that happened one time and see that as their last gasp at national relevance when all the stars aligned for them, with a prognosis of back to being nationally irrelevant.