Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Just now, satyanash said:

why the fuck are there ten different ways to spell "Johnathan"? God damnit.

anyway, with Gray headed to blOU it'd be nice to scrounge up another RB from somewhere in the event LJ goes to CS.

The staff's in contact with both Charbonnet and Habibi-Likio, so they're turning over some rocks.

4 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Short yardage/goal line guy.  Pretty good in those roles.  Never shown much outside of that but that may have been how the Ducks used him

When did Michigan change their mascot? 

I agree with you though on him. He’s nothing special and I’m not sure it’s worth it to use a spot on him. 

Ok.  I guess you have a higher opinion of them than I do.  That was a plateau based upon Sark leaving in a good place talent wise and a really good gameday coach coming in.  I see Washington as an 8 win team this past decade with a 1 off blip that happened one time and see that as their last gasp at national relevance when all the stars aligned for them, with a prognosis of back to being nationally irrelevant.  

2014: 8-6
2015: 7-6

These are the two years most heavily influenced by Sark’s guys

2016: 12-2, conference title, CFP. Sark v Petersen for this team has been hashed out several times on this site, 50/50 probably the most generous split you can give Sark.

2017: 10-3, NY6 bowl game. Pretty much all Petersen now.
2018: 10-4, conference championship
2019: 8-5, Petersen retires.
2020: 3-1, won their division but couldn’t play in CCG. They probably would’ve been 3-0 OOC because Michigan sucks so probably a 9-10 win regular season and a CCG berth.

Your characterization has been correct once in the past five years.

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

LA and San Fran say hold my beer.

Hell, the whole state of California says, “Hide and watch”.  
but to be fair, if I was homeless and Thank God, I’m not, as it is a very sad situation for a lot of good people namely our Veterans!☹️😠😡🤬(no CR) anyway, I too would find my way to Cali. There’s zero chance you’d find me on the east coast(homeless or not).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

2014: 8-6
2015: 7-6

These are the two years most heavily influenced by Sark’s guys

2016: 12-2, conference title, CFP. Sark v Petersen for this team has been hashed out several times on this site, 50/50 probably the most generous split you can give Sark.

2017: 10-3, NY6 bowl game. Pretty much all Petersen now.
2018: 10-4, conference championship
2019: 8-5, Petersen retires.
2020: 3-1, won their division but couldn’t play in CCG. They probably would’ve been 3-0 OOC because Michigan sucks so probably a 9-10 win regular season and a CCG berth.

Your characterization has been correct once in the past five years.

3-1 translates to 8-4 ish if they are playing a full schedule. Or- you know- the last 2 data points. That’s a downward trend.

look I might be wrong. But I think that’s an 8 win type of team from here on out and they peaked with one outlier season after Sark pumped them up, they got Peterson and Oregon was down. 
I’m fine with filing this under agree to disagree and we can bump it in 5 years and see who is right. If you add up the entire decade (which I would assume is fair since you compared to the “70’s” ) that cfp run was the outlier. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Texas commits and targets in final 2021 Top247 update

—Ja'Tavion Sanders remains a five-star in the final Top247 rankings. Though he dropped 8 spots, he still falls within the top 30 players in the country. Sanders has so many questions regarding his future position, and while his offensive production was strong this year, his defensive numbers took a big hit based on recent years. Still, Sanders is too dynamic of an athlete to drop out of the five-star range, and Steve Sarkisian will have quite the decision on his hands when it comes to utilizing Sanders in a way that can best take advantage of his athletic gifts.

—JD Coffey bumped up one spot and finished at No. 224. From debuting high in the rankings to dropping low after his junior season, Coffey earned his way back in to the Top247 with a dominant senior effort. Coffey is already on campus and participating in offseason workouts with the goal of competing for playing time in the spring. Coffey proved to be a hammer in the middle of the defense with the ball skills to create turnovers for the defense. His football IQ and work ethic should provide a leg up in the competition for playing time.

—Morice Blackwell dropped out of the Top247 but retained his four-star ranking. He was previously in the last spot and some others moved up causing him to fall back a bit. Blackwell’s rating remains the same and he showcased another strong effort in his senior season to go along with the tremendous career he put together on the field. Now Blackwell will spend the spring preparing for his summer enrollment at Texas where he could be a threat to see the field early.

—LJ Johnson is the fourth highest-rated prospect who has yet to make a commitment. Johnson’s recruitment is starting to drag out in a way many people didn’t see, but Texas and Texas A&M still appear to be the main competitors for the Cy-Fair runner. Johnson didn’t have the senior season we expected him to have and several other prospects made a jump to go above him. Still, Johnson is a Top 100 prospect and Texas would very much like to finish in the winner’s position here.

—Jonathon Brooks picked up his fourth star but remains outside of the Top247. The fourth star was given for the phenomenal production Brooks put forward in his senior year leading Hallettsville to a state title. While questions still remain about Brooks’ long speed and overall athleticism, it’s tough to ignore what he put on film this year. The Texas staff feels they got an absolute steal with Brooks and he will have the chance to prove them right.

—Jamier Johnson, Byron Murphy and Ishmael Ibraheem remain four-star prospects outside of the Top247. No real movement there for any of the guys as Murphy made the jump during the middle of his senior season, Ibraheem didn’t make a real jump in his senior season and Johnson never got to play one in COVID-19. Now, Johnson is on campus taking part in workouts and Murphy is expected to join Texas in the summer while Ibraheem’s future is up in the air.

—Texas could add another non-Top247 four-star to this class if they can close the deal with Austin Uke. The Longhorns are in a fight for the big man but Kyle Flood is trying to close fast. Adding Uke along with LJ Johnson could tie a nice bow on the 2021 class.

We have two Top247 recruits, compared to Oklahoma's 10 and A&M's 12. Brutal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1