Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Maybe it’s an undefeated related decision, so, yeah. 

I once had a GF who was a grad student at Yale. When I would visit her on campus, I was very impressed w the talent there. FYI, not everyone who attends Ivy League schools is a really smart, bookish type. Some folks just come from really wealthy families who happily donate to build new libraries, etc. In a related but unrelated thought, I used to work in NY w many Ivy League grads, and I was often surprised at how stupid they were. 

As the Chaps come first for me, (neg me) I was surprised and slightly disappointed to hear that Minors flipped to UT.  With his speed, dude would really have fun in the Ivy League. This year, he took it to the house from 70 yards+ twice on the first play of the game, including the state championship. He does have a very slight frame, which may have limited his D1 recruitment. He has good hands and looked really fast even against North Shore. Speaking of NS, I sure wish we could get Banks to flip from Aggie. That dude is legit.

Sorry for the ramblings. Best of luck to Zane Minors and he may become a weapon under Sark.

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

2) I've heard that it is possible to go out of state for undergrad and return to UT for grad school. (I have dozens of friends who did this with law school & business school.

Going to UT undergrad and Yale law school would be a lot better for his career than the reverse. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

1) As was pointed out above... Teenagers make bad decisions.

2) I've heard that it is possible to go out of state for undergrad and return to UT for grad school. (I have dozens of friends who did this with law school & business school. MANY more than doubled up on UT undergrad & grad school.)

3) My older brother went to Yale and I went to UT. If I were that kid's parents, I would not allow that kid to go to UT. And as a preferred walk-on, he's going to need money from home.

4) Last night my mother was reading off the acceptance rates of top colleges and the numbers are tiny due to how many kids took a gap year due to COVID. Being an Ivy League letterman sets you up in life, even in Texas, well beyond being a preferred walk-on at Texas. And if you, for some reason, want to live anywhere else in the USA... or world, and never get a UT grad degree, you would basically have your name on a list at the door before you even knew what that door led to.

If I were his parent, I would be furious.

Hook 'em

Your mom sounds like fun.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

2) I've heard that it is possible to go out of state for undergrad and return to UT for grad school. (I have dozens of friends who did this with law school & business school. MANY more than doubled up on UT undergrad & grad school.)

3) My older brother went to Yale and I went to UT. If I were that kid's parents, I would not allow that kid to go to UT. And as a preferred walk-on, he's going to need money from home.

4) Last night my mother was reading off the acceptance rates of top colleges and the numbers are tiny due to how many kids took a gap year due to COVID. Being an Ivy League letterman sets you up in life, even in Texas, well beyond being a preferred walk-on at Texas. And if you, for some reason, want to live anywhere else in the USA... or world, and never get a UT grad degree, you would basically have your name on a list at the door before you even knew what that door led to.

Hook 'em

1) Attending UT over Yale is not necessarily a "bad" decision. Taking a spot at UNT over Yale would be.

2) Cool story.

3) You obviously don't know how "athletic scholarships" work at Yale - as in, they don't exist. He's much more likely to need "money from home" attending Yale, even with merit or academic aid, than he would with in-state tuition at Texas.

4) Don't underestimate the fact that many of Minors' friends are also likely attending UT. Westlake sends tons of kids to UT. Additionally, where do you think his parents are more likely to be able to watch his team's games?... Additionally, as an underrepresented minority and a Division 1 athlete at a very good school, if he does well in undergrad, getting into an Ivy for grad school won't be that difficult in comparison to his peers. As another poster stated, a graduate degree from an Ivy would serve him even better. 

Also, a word of advice for the future to people who aren't parents. If you're "furious" about your kid attending UT over Yale, you might be in a position where your kids won't like you very much. There a A LOT of things in life more worth getting that upset over.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I thought this is football board.  If talking about college application, I can chime in as I have a senior going to college this cycle.  

My kid will always pick UT over Yale, because the intended major is computer science.  Heck, Yale may not even be in top 30 in computer science.   The other issue is that ivies do not have scholarship.  Even though my kid does apply for a bunch of them, I am not sure I want to pay 200K more to get BS from Princeton  So it depends on the majors.

And as somebody mentioned above, you can always goes to graduate school of ivies. 

Edited by Hill Country
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Hook 'em

Counterpoint,

the difference in quantity and quality of poon that’s going to throw itself at him the next 4 years at UT v Yale is so vast that all your points mean nothing to a red blooded 18 year old male. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Hook 'em

Sick brag

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The only people who will be really hurt by Carrington’s departure are the $9.95ers without other sources. 

Regarding Ivy versus Texas, I actually did turn down playing football at Dartmouth via Pell Grants to quit football and go to UT on scholarships. It all worked out very well. The degree travels, too. Also, I’ve dealt with many Ivy people over the years and have found them collectively unimpressive, entitled, and bourgeois. There are of course exceptions.

The rest of the activity in this thread since Friday is hot, buttered trash. Just terrible, terrible posting going on up in here. This thread can very simply get fucked. 

Is this where we talk about the options we turned down to go to UT? I'm probably in the bottom tier because my grades were terrible and I mostly played left bench but I did get offered a large merit scholarship from da U. I'm sure they would've let me fetch water for the football team if I begged.

spacer.png

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The only people who will be really hurt by Carrington’s departure are the $9.95ers without other sources. 

Regarding Ivy versus Texas, I actually did turn down playing football at Dartmouth via Pell Grants to quit football and go to UT on scholarships. It all worked out very well. The degree travels, too. Also, I’ve dealt with many Ivy people over the years and have found them collectively unimpressive, entitled, and bourgeois. There are of course exceptions.

The rest of the activity in this thread since Friday is hot, buttered trash. Just terrible, terrible posting going on up in here. This thread can very simply get fucked. 

Any recruiting news for 2021? Uke, Abiara, and LJ I guess are our targets. It would be nice to hear about something outside of the pedestrian. I guess the tOSU lock qualifies but he's not coming here. Any JUCOs or transfers under consideration. We need help in a lot of places. Our offensive line isn't great and our recruiting sucked this year. Our WR group is deep with JAGs and we need help there. QB is an unknown. TE is okay although I would consider the LSU transfer. DL is strong. DE lacks a pass rusher. LB is okay but not deep and without any single dominant player. DB play should be fine but after transfers lacks depth. To me, there are lots of areas that we could improve.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Any recruiting news for 2021? Uke, Abiara, and LJ I guess are our targets. It would be nice to hear about something outside of the pedestrian. I guess the tOSU lock qualifies but he's not coming here. Any JUCOs or transfers under consideration. We need help in a lot of places. Our offensive line isn't great and our recruiting sucked this year. Our WR group is deep with JAGs and we need help there. QB is an unknown. TE is okay although I would consider the LSU transfer. DL is strong. DE lacks a pass rusher. LB is okay but not deep and without any single dominant player. DB play should be fine but after transfers lacks depth. To me, there are lots of areas that we could improve.

Not sure if anything is still happening with this guy but somebody reported we were talking to him.

Rayshaun Benny, Oak Park, Defensive Tackle (247sports.com)

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well shit, am I the only slacker who quit football in high school to play in a band in an attempt to get laid? And then, by my junior year realized that with my SAT score I only needed to graduate in the 3rd quarter of my HS class to get into UT, so I effectively stopped playing school? 

Pssssssh, Ivies. 

(Yes, in my old age, I regret not taking that whole process more seriously.)

Anyway, kids turn down Ivy opportunities for UT all the time, for a million reasons. I'd wager that, for those kids, it is usually the right decision. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Is this where we talk about the options we turned down to go to UT? I'm probably in the bottom tier because my grades were terrible and I mostly played left bench but I did get offered a large merit scholarship from da U. I'm sure they would've let me fetch water for the football team if I begged.

spacer.png

I turned down a full ride to Notre Dame to go to UT instead.

(didn’t want to become a priest)

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

And then, by my junior year realized that with my SAT score I only needed to graduate in the 3rd quarter of my HS class to get into UT, so I effectively stopped playing school? 

I learned about the provisional program at Texas around then. That was it for me. 

In retrospect it's hard to believe that program ever existed. Show up with a high school degree, get a 2.25 over the summer and you're in. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I haven’t heard anything about anything since I haven’t been able to regroup with Carrington in a few days. 

• Haha 2

Horns 247

”A source has told Horns247 that Cy-Fair four-star running back LJ Johnson will be visiting Texas today before making a decision between the Longhorns and Aggies on Wednesday. We have not been able to confirm if he has made it to campus, but we will update this post as more information becomes available.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Horns 247

”A source has told Horns247 that Cy-Fair four-star running back LJ Johnson will be visiting Texas today before making a decision between the Longhorns and Aggies on Wednesday. We have not been able to confirm if he has made it to campus, but we will update this post as more information becomes available.”

Apparently they followed up by saying a decision is coming by Wednesday