Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Steve Wiltfong: National Signing Day Eve Recruiting Buzz

Everything I think I know on National Signing Day eve.

***The No. 1 overall prospect in the Top247 in five-star defensive end J.T. Tuimoloau will not announce his decision Wednesday as previously chronicled by 247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman. Heā€™s hoping to visit 247Sports Crystal Ball leader Ohio State once the NCAA dead period is lifted in April in response to the Covid19 pandemic. Tuimoloau has never been to Columbus. He has been to Alabama before but itā€™s been a couple years and heā€™d like to return to Tuscaloosa as well. Oregon, Washington and USC round out Tuimoloauā€™s final five.

***Could be a great day for Texas A&M. The Aggies start the day with the 247Sports Compositeā€™s No. 7 class, a third-straight top 10 haul under head coach Jimbo Fisher. As I continue to talk to sources regarding the Top247ā€™s No. 3 running back LJ Johnson, the more I love the Aggies' position as they battle Texas down the stretch. Jimbo Fisherā€™s track record (guys like Dalvin Cook), the long-standing relationship with Tommie Robinson and Texas A&M never wavering on who their top running back target in 2021 was, I think in the end has helped the College Station program. Texas did lead at one point in the fall but the consistency at Texas A&M sees them through I believe. I also think one of the big components in this recruitment is Name, Image, Likeness and the SEC stage and TV ratings for the big games in the league was another factor that helped Fisher and company.

***All the intel continues to point to USC for Top247 linebacker Raesjon Davis as Ohio State and Oregon give chase. Iā€™d probably peg the Buckeyes as the biggest challenger. A recent visit to Columbus was a strong experience, the programā€™s culture, good relationships with some players on the team and the promise of player development have the Big Ten power knocking on the door here, but until I hear different, I think USC showing drastic improvement this fall, the Trojans recruiting a high-level particularly on the defensive side of the ball and proximity have the home team in the best spot.

***Several people believe the recruitment of Top247 defensive tackle Tywone Malone is a photo finish. The contenders appear to be Texas A&M and Ole Miss with Florida State rounding out the top three. The buzz was around the Rebels much of the fall but A&M has made their move led by Elijah Robinsonā€™s efforts. Baseball is a big component of this decision. Ole Miss has been consistent with their interest while the Aggies have also picked up there down the stretch. Thereā€™s been some back and forth on who has led late. As far as whoā€™s had the more communication the last few days, I think itā€™s been the Rebels. Is that to get some questions answered or solidify the future? Weā€™ll know soon.

***I think Top247 safety Terrion Arnold has given folks around Georgia reason to be optimistic. I do think the Bulldogs have to rally past Alabama here to win it if they indeed do. The Crimson Tide led in the spring, there is a tremendous amount of comfort with Nick Sabanā€™s program and developing within that. Heā€™s also mentioned how exciting it would be to play with Gaā€™Quincy McKinstry. Regarding Georgia, Arnold has always talked about being the focal point of the Bulldogs defense. He said thatā€™s been the pitch from Kirby Smart and his staff. He also has some strong relationships with the Bulldogs recruits including Xavian Sorey. My gut is still in Tuscaloosa.

***There is some chatter that Top247 receiver Brian Thomas Jr. will not sign on Wednesday. The Aggies are duking it out there with LSU and Alabama rounding out the top three. The Tigers appeared to be third back in the fall leading up to the Early Signing Period but seemed to have made a bit of a move led by Mickey Joseph, but it seems the Thomas camp still has questions for the program. I think there is comfort with Texas A&M. Alabama was who I thought led in the fall. Four receivers later I think itā€™s more likely Thomas ends up at Texas A&M or LSU.

***Still love Florida State for Top247 receiver Destyn Hill. Land him and the Seminoles go from No. 30 to No. 21 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings.

***Also still love Oregon for Top247 cornerback Avante Dickerson. A pledge from him should lock up a third-straight Pac 12 recruiting championship for Mario Cristobal and his staff who open the day at No. 6 nationally.

***Kentucky remains the team to bat for Top247 linebacker Trevin Wallace and I love that forecast as well.

***I think there is a chance Michigan flips Top247 defensive tackle Rayshaun Benny from Michigan State. He chose the Spartans over the Wolverines back in November in a recruitment that the Maize and Blue led most of the way but lost grasp on after the Spartans beat Michigan. Sherrone Moore and Shaun Nua and their consistency from Ann Arbor has kept Michigan alive. The Wolverines have the nationā€™s No. 11 class per the 247Sports Composite.

***In other flip news I think Michigan is in the mix to flip defensive tackle Ikechukwu Iwunnah as well. As the Wolverines get their new defense in place in Ann Arbor shoring up that defensive tackle position is big and adding George Rooks late and potentially Benny and this high-upside prospect in Iwunnah would do that.

***A source that talked to Camar Wheaton on Monday said the five-star back would stick with Alabama but the source added ā€œthat was Monday and this is Tuesdayā€ reminding us what a fluid recruitment that's been.

***I do like Texas A&M for the No. 1 JUCO OT Jordan Moko who is also looking at LSU and Oregon. Logged a Crystal Ball there this morning. LSU would be the one that could possibly change that.Ā  A source said this: "It's been A&M for a long time but LSU and Auburn have made big pitches here at the end. LSU got in good with the family so they definitely have a chance. It's for sure down to A&M and LSU right now and if I had to pick right now it would be A&M."

***Four-star defensive end Davon Townley will announce between Nebraska, Penn State and Washington. Long-standing relationships and need on the edge in my opinion put the Nittany Lions in the driver seat. Penn State has the nationā€™s No. 24 class.

***Logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Texas for four-star defensive end David Abiara. The former Notre Dame commit also strongly considered Oklahoma at various points but appears to be headed to Austin where the Longhorns come into the day with the No. 17 class in the land.

***Indiana looks like the one to beat for Top247 four-star receiver Malachi Bennett.

***Love my pick of North Carolina for Top247 cornerback Dontae Balfour as they battle Auburn and LSU. The Sunshine State prospect has logged 10 interceptions over the last two seasons and would add to a class ranked No. 14 nationally by the Top247.

***Purdue could go on receiver Quenton Barnes who could also play safety on the next level.

***In the fall I liked USCā€™s position for four-star offensive lineman Austin Uke, and the Trojans are still in this recruitment, but Stanford, Northwestern and Texas could be the three favorites.

***A couple guys like Auburn for are four-star safety Juwon Gaston and running back Jarquez Hunter who both had terrific senior seasons.

***Northwestern appears to be in line to land receiver Calvin Johnson II, a former Navy quarterback commit who is a prolific rusher on the prep level.

***Syracuse could add a couple more in defensive lineman Chase Simmons, a current Coastal Carolina commit, and JUCO OT Jakob Bradford, who is also looking at Virginia Tech.

As always this story will update as intel comes in.

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Steve Wiltfong: National Signing Day Eve Recruiting Buzz

***Could be a great day for Texas A&M. The Aggies start the day with the 247Sports Compositeā€™s No. 7 class, a third-straight top 10 haul under head coach Jimbo Fisher. As I continue to talk to sources regarding the Top247ā€™s No. 3 running back LJ Johnson, the more I love the Aggies' position as they battle Texas down the stretch. Jimbo Fisherā€™s track record (guys like Dalvin Cook), the long-standing relationship with Tommie Robinson and Texas A&M never wavering on who their top running back target in 2021 was, I think in the end has helped the College Station program. Texas did lead at one point in the fall but the consistency at Texas A&M sees them through I believe. I also think one of the big components in this recruitment is Name, Image, Likeness and the SEC stage and TV ratings for the big games in the league was another factor that helped Fisher and company.

Hmm?Ā  If that's the case then we should have won out.Ā 

F&*% Tom Herman.

35 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

You guys are some surly fuckers, that's for sure. I never said that I was cowering in fear in Los Angeles. The weather is beautiful today, as it usually is. The point is that the argument that LA is some sort of irresistible celebrity utopian paradise that no recruit or their parents could resist, is no longer really true right now. This city is not what it was. It will always be LA, and will always have an allure, but there are serious issues right now all across this city and if you don't see it then congrats on living your dream life in Malibu.Ā 

Now let's get back to bitching about recruiting.

Name them and tell me why it's relevant to a 17 year old senior who will have free room and board the next four years?Ā  They don't give a fuck about the homeless or COL.Ā Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

West LA everything is bustling, would love to know the magical places everyone is staying inside in terror

Yep, I'm in Santa Monica and things aren't super busy but definitely aren't "calm". With outdoor dining reopening, really the masks are the biggest reminder we're still in a pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Name them and tell me why it's relevant to a 17 year old senior who will have free room and board the next four years?Ā  They don't give a fuck about the homeless or COL.Ā Ā 

Fair enough. Maybe they give a shit that Clay Helton is a shitty fucking coach who will be fired by this time next year?

So would we want this kid? Roc Taylor the number 12 tight end in the country got jilted by Tennessee today. Somebody call Sark! I like the kid for the name alone. The real UT is always a better place to be!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hs-coach-tennessee-pulls-scholarship-offer-to-4-star-te-commit-a-day-before-national-signing-day-210842178.html

Ā 

Edited by horn4life

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

So would we want this kid? Roc Taylor the number 12 tight end in the country got jilted by Tennessee today. Somebody call Sark! I like the kid for the name alone. The real UT is always a better place to be!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/hs-coach-tennessee-pulls-scholarship-offer-to-4-star-te-commit-a-day-before-national-signing-day-210842178.html

Ā 

Music to my ears....

image.png.342ce9131caafd9e32a7aee91041de5b.png

13 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Ā 

Sure, let's take a 4th TE in this classĀ 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

You guys are some surly fuckers, that's for sure. I never said that I was cowering in fear in Los Angeles. The weather is beautiful today, as it usually is. The point is that the argument that LA is some sort of irresistible celebrity utopian paradise that no recruit or their parents could resist, is no longer really true right now. This city is not what it was. It will always be LA, and will always have an allure, but there are serious issues right now all across this city and if you don't see it then congrats on living your dream life in Malibu.Ā 
Now let's get back to bitching about recruiting.

The argument was actually the opposite. That it is impossible to understand why a recruit would want to go play in the PAC 12, with particular emphasis on USC given they were the school being discussed.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

LJ being a lock to A&M seals LJ to A&M

It's still a shrewd move to have Blue'sĀ commitment drop now. It stunts aggy momentum with the LJ commitment. aggy can now wonder when LJ will show up and if he will take part in off season conditioning.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's still a shrewd move to have Blue'sĀ commitment drop now. It stunts aggy momentum with the LJ commitment. aggy can now wonder when LJ will show up and if he will take part in off season conditioning.

Lots of drama in LJ's recruitment -- thinks he's gonna early enroll, and then last minute decides nah.Ā 

If LJ goes to aggy, not gonna be upset about it...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ā 

Yup. There's an Okie at the wheel and he might have haveĀ 3 or 15Ā low alcohol beers onboard.

Some rumbling that he might be a qualification risk, and the new staff doesn't want to lose a counter. No idea if there's any truth to this, but I can see this as a legit reason. Curious why he didn't just sign in the early period. Thought the Pruitt rumors didn't get hot and heavy until after that point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Maybe I missed it, but what did he do with Dalvin Cook other than recruit him and shitty linemen that he had to run behind?

CookĀ went for over 1,000Ā yards his true freshman year and then averaged over 1,700 yards, 19 TDs and almost 7 YPC the next two seasons, you dumbass.Ā 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

remember those posters saying nil would help texas land recruitsĀ 

giphy.gif

Ā 

That's just a stupid fucking take. Despite the lackluster results on the field the past 11 years, Texas remains one of, if not the biggest, names in college football. Anyone who thinks a&m is a bigger name in terms of NIL is just fucking stupid.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Can't help but comment, never went to LA until recently(within the last year).......It is IMHO an epic shithole one notch below San Francisco. If I ever see that place again, it will be too soon. Currently in San Diego working and it is lightyears above the two previously mentioned but still prefer damn near anywhere, TX.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

That's just a stupid fucking take. Despite the lackluster results on the field the past 11 years, Texas remains one of, if not the biggest, names in college football. Anyone who thinks a&m is a bigger name in terms of NIL is just fucking stupid.Ā 

this isnt 2005 a&m has become big brother

all you homers need to take your orange glasses off to see it

i know for a fact kids in this eraĀ see texas a&m as superiorĀ to texas because my woo was recruited by both during the process & i got to talk to many recruits in a gcĀ 

• Fuck You 87

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Can't help but comment, never went to LA until recently(within the last year).......It is IMHO an epic shithole one notch below San Francisco. If I ever see that place again, it will be too soon. Currently in San Diego working and it is lightyears above the two previously mentioned but still prefer damn near anywhere, TX.

Man, you went toĀ the wrong fucking places in those cities.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, hornfromdallas said:

i know for a fact kids in this eraĀ see texas a&m as superiorĀ to texas because my woo was recruited by both during the process & i got to talk to many recruits in a gcĀ 

Nah bruh. You're fucking wrong. Wtf has atm done the last 11 years that texas hasn't? Texas is still the top money bringer inner, and Texas is still one of the top tv draws. Those are facts. Bring your little dick energy over to texags.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

Shemar told him this in a video

16 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

this isnt 2005 a&m has become big brother.Ā Ā all you homers need to take your orange glasses off to see it.Ā  Ā i know for a fact kids in this eraĀ see texas a&m as superiorĀ to texas because my woo was recruited by both during the process & i got to talk to many recruits in a gcĀ 

Take this shit to an aggy board !!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

hNDgcH8aTWY4OWkkPlfU7WpwxkeFv1V5gDTHJ26l

• Haha 1

Then the future of this country is not bright cause that's sheer dumbassery. And seemingly odd they look past that fanbase.

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

the truth hurts

if some of you saw how texas players talk about texas u wouldĀ :(:(

in their eyes aggy is big brotherĀ 

I remember thisĀ delusion back in the 80's also.Ā  No one remembers those fucking players who chose elsewhere.Ā  Same will happen to thoseĀ making the same dumb choices today.Ā Ā 

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1