Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

this isnt 2005 a&m has become big brother

all you homers need to take your orange glasses off to see it

i know for a fact kids in this era see texas a&m as superior to texas because my woo was recruited by both during the process & i got to talk to many recruits in a gc 

Lol. That’s all.

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What’s a NSD without a live streamed commitment and a news station picking it up? This just feels right. We can only hope we get to see an absurdly long slideshow of his childhood and maybe a couple good murders reported right before.

I expect all of our Surly sluthers to be on top of their hat analysis tomorrow. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

What’s a NSD without a live streamed commitment and a news station picking it up? This just feels right. We can only hope we get to see an absurdly long slideshow of his childhood

Hopefully, he can slip in some updated Super 8mm film of Walker Little, too. We need to catch up on how he’s doing at Stanford. 

I would say that right now in the eyes of most Texas high school players and more importantly the ever so fragile high school coaches that A&M is preferred to Texas.  Jimbo Fisher got his team up to #4 this year (since they were lucky as fuck not to play OU in a bowl and get rolled like Florida did). Yes, Texas nationally is a more recognized program. Yes, nationally Texas is a monster from the program's cash revenue perspective.  But at this point in time, A&M still has the edge in Texas recruiting... at least for this Wednesday.  

HOWEVER....  what brings a grin to my face is the knowledge that right now we are at the ZENITH of Aggie football, and yet the signs of the tide changing can already be seen.  First imagine what sort of class Texas pulls in ANY time we finish a season ranked #4 or better?  (If you are old enough to remember such things 😉 ) And then look at the 2022 recruiting rankings from 24/7.  Even with the splash of Jimbo FIsher, and an amazing #4 final ranking... Sark has already recruited well enough  to push the Aggies and Jimbo out of the top ten rankings.  With the same number of players verbally committed.  How fucking frustrating must if be for the Aggies, that a brand fucking new Texas coach can come in, hold a press conference, and less than a month later be out-recruiting the state's current "big dog?" 

Who here would have predicted that as of tomorrow Texas' 2022 verbal commitment list would be better than Jimbo Fisher's A&M coming off a #4 season ending ranking? Besides maybe...satyanash?   😉

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I would say that right now in the eyes of most Texas high school players and more importantly the ever so fragile high school coaches that A&M is preferred to Texas. 

ahhh so THSFB coaches now love Jimbo because of his East coast recruiting?  Gotcha

I’m just ready for this rusty coat hangar abortion of a recruiting cycle to be over with. Not getting LJ was quickly more than offset by getting Blue. Uke would go a long way to not completely and totally fucking up our OL. Other than that we do lot have any glaring holes in a lineup as long as we get this shit corrected fir 2022 which looks to be the case. 

• Like 3

For all of your football boarders that plan to shit on the late risers we sign today, this is a reminder that last year at this time we were waiting the announcement of Ennis Rakestraw who went on to start as a true Freshman for Missouri. Despite being a relative unknown heading into the txhsfb playoffs, he ended up in the middle of the pack of true freshman starters per PFF. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m just ready for this rusty coat hangar abortion of a recruiting cycle to be over with. Not getting LJ was quickly more than offset by getting Blue. Uke would go a long way to not completely and totally fucking up our OL. Other than that we do lot have any glaring holes in a lineup as long as we get this shit corrected fir 2022 which looks to be the case. 

I think I posted this 200 pages ago. Essentially you can fuck a class up, especially in the time of the portal, and it’s just not that big a deal if you had a good class before it and after it, but you stack two bad classes together and you are basically dead. That’s why Herman literally had to go. That’s why Charlie had to go when he did. Both were gonna be responsible for two shit classes in a row. 

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

For all of your football boarders that plan to shit on the late risers we sign today, this is a reminder that last year at this time we were waiting the announcement of Ennis Rakestraw who went on to start as a true Freshman for Missouri. Despite being a relative unknown heading into the txhsfb playoffs, he ended up in the middle of the pack of true freshman starters per PFF. 

Ok? Was that an argument with the voices in your head? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Could be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think relationships with the Texas high school coaches mean as much as 9.95ers try to tell us. In this era of social media, 7 v 7, trainers, etc, the HS coaches aren’t getting in these kids ears like they may of in the past. Hell, Charlie Strong completely ignored talking to HS coaches and basically went through the players and their parents and he still pulled in some highly ranked classes. 

A&M won this year so you didn’t hear a peep about it. The relationship with the Texas high school coaches excuse card only is pulled when you are losing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Could be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think relationships with the Texas high school coaches mean as much as 9.95ers try to tell us. In this era of social media, 7 v 7, trainers, etc, the HS coaches aren’t getting in these kids ears like they may of in the past. Hell, Charlie Strong completely ignored talking to HS coaches and basically went through the players and their parents and he still pulled in some highly ranked classes. 

A&M won this year so you didn’t hear a peep about it. The relationship with the Texas high school coaches excuse card only is pulled when you are losing. 

Not an unpopular opinion at all. The 9.95ers need sources, so it's a win-win to butter up the corches.

Just now, texifornia said:

Not an unpopular opinion at all. The 9.95ers need sources, so it's a win-win to butter up the corches.

I’ve always wondered how good Carrington is versus the constant cheerleading he gets from the 9.95 crowd for the same reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

One might think LHN would have a crawl on signing day ... 

LHN is so bad its embarrassing that we could screw something like that up. How in the hell you have your own network and not make today a big deal? We should be having these athletes on screen live with zoom interviews, have position coaches in studio to break down each player, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Man I feel like NSD is always on one of my teaching days. Good thing it's just labs today and it's virtual so I can do whatever I want 99% of the time. Would be 100% of the time if mechanical engineers knew jackshit about electrical engineering.

It must be worse for you guys with real jobs. Suckers.

Edited by Bevo14

Fong "article" on Uke. (From this AM.)

Spoiler

Wild ride to National Signing Day for four-star OT Austin Uke
STEVE WILTFONG

Back in September Holy Cross offered Dallas (Texas) Parish Episcopal offensive lineman Austin Uke a scholarship and a couple weeks later they scored his commitment.

What a find that would’ve been.

But Uke decided to post highlights following the first five games of his senior year, and next thing he knew the floodgates opened regarding his recruitment.

“It’s been so crazy,” Uke said. He wakes up on National Signing Day choosing between Northwestern, Stanford, Texas and USC. “It’s been the biggest blessing. I can’t even describe it.”

We at 247Sports caught glimpse of those clips and awarded Uke a fourth-star before he hit touted status o the trail.

“It was week four, a normal week against All Saints Episcopal, and I was taking it like every other week, doing my preparation and after the game I posted my highlights and I could tell something was up and these one were different," Uke explained. "I checked back and had a 1,000 views more than anything I’ve had before.”

The phone started coming in like never before too. One of the calls, a scholarship from local SMU.

“It blew up after that,” Uke laughed.

Penn State, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Missouri, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Oklahoma were some of the other programs that offered alongside his four finalists as 6-foot-4, 265-pound Uke helped his team win a state championship.

“It was absolutely mind blowing,” Uke said.

“I tried to keep a lot of the recruiting stuff on the back burner for the season. All of us seniors had been working so hard this offseason and our only goal was to win state. I made that my primary focus.”

Uke shifted gears after hoisting the crown in mid-December and could finally focus on his future.

“After we won state it was a big ole pressure lifted off my shoulders and I could finally engage with coaches,” Uke said. “I’ve made that my priority along with school of course. It was hard to keep up with both aspects as my recruiting was blowing up and school was getting harder at the end of the trimester.”

Uke told 247Sports on Tuesday he needed to sleep on his decision one more night. He talked about what he’s looking for in a school.

“The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the kind of opportunity, the education being the biggest thing that was important to me,” Uke said. “Having a good degree along with connections in the adult world that’s really helpful with integrating in adult life after football. Second, good football is important to me too. Playing early is also an important part to me as well. My dream is to go to the NFL so picking the right school can help me get to that point as well.”

Uke is tabbed by the Top247 as the nation’s No. 35 offensive tackle.

“Owns adequate height with great length thanks to a wingspan in the 6-foot-10 range, self-reportedly,” 247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks wrote in his evaluation. “Frame potential is quite high given space available and length. Uses that length and extension to fend off edge speed in pass pro. Pass-blocking potential is particularly high given reach and general quick-footedness. Flashes some point-of-attack punch that should only get better with continued physical development. Agile to the second level and generally arrives with impact. Feet stay active when engaged. Burgeoning mean streak with accompanying motor that looks for more work when available. Will need to continue to develop mass and strengthen to maximize drive-blocking ability and stand up to FBS-caliber defensive linemen. Consistency with hand placement can improve. One of the biggest senior risers in Texas in the 2021 class. Projects to high-major level with potential to become multi-year starter and play beyond college.”