Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'd be thrilled if they could carve out some time exploring the difference between "apart" and "a part". 

Yes, that is truly baffling. I am afraid too many people today are products of "Hooked on Phonics." Picking up a book every now and then would also be helpful.

20 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Blake can fuck right off wearing that shirt. Happy birthday to Luke I guess, only Brock left that isn't permanently on the shit list. 

Gotta love the second reply by Shane: "ROLL TIDE!"

Thanks a lot, Tom and The Brocks, now you've got inbred Bama fans yelling nonsense at Texas players' birthday photos. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 2/9/2021 at 10:47 AM, irishtexan said:

The title of the article wasn't included in the post. Regardless, it's good journalism to include the full name of the person being profiled at some point within the actual article. 

Do/should recruits call the coach where they have decided to go to first, then call the schools they are turning down next?   Does it make a difference or  proper protocol?

11 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Do/should recruits call the coach where they have decided to go to first, then call the schools they are turning down next?   Does it make a difference or  proper protocol?

You should absolutely call and commit first before telling other schools they're out. Don't rule anybody out until you know with absolute certainty that the school you want to attend will take your commitment.

• Hook 'Em 2

How much more likely would we be to still have turtle Tom as our coach if the Brocks had picked Texas?
It wouldn't have mattered. The decision to replace Tom was made during the season based on his team's performance (or lack thereof) on the field. Getting one recruit would not have saved his job. If the Brocks had been loyal to Texas, they would be playing under Sark and Flood in Austin.

7 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

You should absolutely call and commit first before telling other schools they're out. Don't rule anybody out until you know with absolute certainty that the school you want to attend will take your commitment.

Exactly. You don't quit your job before officially accepting a new one. The same goes for hiring and awarding contracts; always tell the winner first before telling the losers. The person you choose might flake out and decline, so you need the backups available. If you have to go to your second choice, make them feel like your first choice.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Recruiting Class Final Thoughts: The Underestimated

Spoiler

While everyone is ready to move on to the 2022 class after the relative disappointment of the #17 nationally ranked 2021 haul, a little distance from signing day allows for a more critical perspective.

I won't try to paper over the OL class misses or tell you that landing 1 player in the 24/7 composite Top 25 is acceptable or desirable. Nor will I try to sell you on this class having a dozen or more players with massive upside. I'm not that writer and this ain't that website.

But this group has a potentially better collective floor than conventional wisdom holds and there are some individuals who can play much better football than their rankings suggest. Don't let the Herman hangover poison your mind or attitude.

Peer pressure isn't just a high school phenomenon and many fans and analysts would rather be wrong together than right alone. Far too often, they fail to imagine what a player will be as a redshirt college sophomore instead focusing on what they are as a high school junior. Their job is to project into the future, but too often they calcify the present.

We also fail to realize that after the most elite of elite, the next 40-60 players in Texas are more about fit, scheme, and development than clear hierarchies of ability.

Also, Tom Herman's personnel guys were competent. More competent than his on field staff. They could find players.

Here are some 2021 signees you shouldn't sleep on...

WR Keithron Lee - 3 star, #78 player in Texas

Maybe I'm alone, but it took me about ten plays to see a dissonance between Lee's skill set and his ranking. Granted, WR is the deepest position at the high school, college, and NFL level and you can go deep down the list of the best in Texas and still get quality. That's a ranker's dilemma. So yeah, a guy outside of the Texas top 50 can still be a stone cold baller. I think the difference between the #3 WR in Texas and #9 is far too often about camp circuit participation, team profile, sophomore and junior seasons, groupthink, and early scholarship offers than pure assessment after the last game of their senior season.

Lee was highly productive as a receiver and runner (he's great on fly sweeps and gadgets) at Bryan and he shows a knack for adjusting to the ball down the field. He's a fearless runner and runs through contact despite modest size. I like that. I also like his acceleration and refusal to quit on a play. I see a lot of heart and ability. Kind of what I want in a slot. If he can run smart routes and catch the ball reliably, Sark will love him.

I don't know how he fares in the shorts Olympics, but I like him with pads on.

If there's something off the field weighing against his evaluation, I get it, but I'm not aware of it. BTW, fellow WR Jaden Alexis is probably being sold a little short by Texas fans as well, but his ranking is appropriate.

DT Byron Murphy - 3 star, #56 player in Texas

Murphy is 6 feet even but carries his weight well. You will hear Poona Ford comps, but Poona was actually a freakier athlete, though shorter. Murphy shares the same dawg mentality though. That matters.

I prefer long DL and Alfred Collins is my model, but here's the deal: if a short guy at any DL spot has a huge motor, first step quickness, and the ability to break down a larger OL's arms in extension, they're a freaking nightmare for less athletic guards and centers. A short DL "space eater" can be rendered useless athlete against modern offenses. Murphy is not that guy. Folks portraying him that way don't understand line play. Murphy has motor, quickness, and he never stops moving his feet. Develop his power and max him out at a rock hard 290 and we're cooking with gas. But let's not chunk him out. If he puts on bad weight, he's a JAG.

Think Andrew Billings from Baylor (absent the incredible powerlifting numbers). Ignore his 5.0 40. Pay attention to that 31 inch vertical. Bursty.

Murphy has a huge chip on his shoulder. Don't underestimate the power of that in a DL recruit.

DL Jordon Thomas, low 4 star #45 in Texas
DL David Abiara, 3 star, #62 in Texas
DL Barryn Sorrell, 3 star, #21 in Louisiana

Same, same but different. Three guys lumped together? What kind of weak hedge is this? I'll explain.

I'm not saying all three will pan. DL don't pan for reasons off the field as often as on it. But I will tell you that absent landing the elite guys, these are the kinds of prospects Texas should be taking on the DL as secondary and tertiary options. Each player has some individuality: Abiara is the strongest and most imposing, Thomas is the most consistent dawg (not many soft dudes from Port A in my experience), Sorrell is the most sushi raw with interesting flashes, but all three share one key commonality: they're tweenerish edge guys who can move, have big frames, and have the highest level starter potential inside.

They're all athletic enough to play credibly outside. But I want to see them fill out and attack the passer and running game from a 3 or 5 technique.

Might each player be rated appropriately individually? Sure. Though I'd quibble on Abiara if his off field issue was a one off. But this is a collective trait bet. These are the right kinds of takes of the available options.

LB Morice Blackwell - low 4 star, #49 in Texas

He barely slid under the 4 star concertina wire, so I'm including him. #49 player in Texas is not a ringing analyst endorsement. I also see their point about his potential limitations a level up. However, he's one of my class favorites as a pure football player. He's just that guy. That dude who keeps making critical plays that change a game while also making the routine plays reliably. He's narrow and lithe, but he moves really well and diagnoses like a freaking scientist. Watching him play makes me happy. I honestly think he could play safety in some schemes. If he can carry 215-225 well, he's a greyhound LB in the best of the TCU mold who will fill up the entire box score like a young Magic Johnson: 9 tackles, 1 PBU, a QB hit, forced fumble, a pick. You know the guy.

Size and frame are legitimate knocks, but if Texas can't retain his quickness and fluidity while adding 25 good pounds, go to the weight room and start handing out pink slips.

• Hook 'Em 5

I’m finally going through the 2021 class now after taking a break for much of this recruiting cycle. Just going through offense first and I’m just now realizing we signed some ballers at wide receiver. I had no idea how good Alexis and Davis were but the one that intrigues me the most is Lee. His skill set does not match his body type at all. If someone described a receiver recruit to you as possessing great hand hands,  elite body control, above average 40 speed but played tough over the middle and relished breaking tackles and stiff arming people you would assume that player was a 6”4, 215 pound Lil Jordan Humphrey type player and not a 5”10, 175 point cat quick inside receiver.  This is the kind of player that goes to Kansas State and fucking destroys us for four years. I’m guessing his 40 time is not elite and combined with his size that probably took him off the radar for most teams?  If he can bulk up and stay that quick (which should not be a problem) he should wreck shop in the B12.  It doesn’t matter what his top end speed is if his first 10 yards are elite and he has that body control. This guy is going to be a really good player for us and he is wildly underrated, IMO. 

I assume the recruiting nerds are going to tell me why I am wrong and why it is we were fighting UTSA for him and not LSU. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m finally going through the 2021 class now after taking a break for much of this recruiting cycle. Just going through offense first and I’m just now realizing we signed some ballers at wide receiver. I had no idea how good Alexis and Davis were but the one that intrigues me the most is Lee. His skill set does not match his body type at all. If someone described a receiver recruit to you as possessing great hand hands,  elite body control, above average 40 speed but played tough over the middle and relished breaking tackles and stiff arming people you would assume that player was a 6”4, 215 pound Lil Jordan Humphrey type player and not a 5”10, 175 point cat quick inside receiver.  This is the kind of player that goes to Kansas State and fucking destroys us for four years. I’m guessing his 40 time is not elite and combined with his size that probably took him off the radar for most teams?  If he can bulk up and stay that quick (which should not be a problem) he should wreck shop in the B12.  It doesn’t matter what his top end speed is if his first 10 yards are elite and he has that body control. This guy is going to be a really good player for us and he is wildly underrated, IMO. 

I assume the recruiting nerds are going to tell me why I am wrong and why it is we were fighting UTSA for him and not LSU. 

We missed out on a lot of first and second tier guys, but the evals were always solid with the last staff. There will be some contributors in this class but I am glad it is behind us.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Most of the board really likes Lee. So do the 9.95ers. I think (and I might be remembering wrong here) there was some weirdness about not playing in all his HS's games and maybe a transfer in there? Honestly that was all mostly happening in the depths of the late-Herman doldrums and I was only half paying attention.

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You ain’t the only one who took a break for much of this recruiting cycle.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Most of the board really likes Lee. So do the 9.95ers. I think (and I might be remembering wrong here) there was some weirdness about not playing in all his HS's games and maybe a transfer in there? Honestly that was all mostly happening in the depths of the late-Herman doldrums and I was only half paying attention.

It’s not just fans that overlooked him. His commitable offer list is not very impressive. Honestly, his hands and body control are what you wish you had in Jake Smith’s athleticism.  

8 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I think I've mentioned this before but Jaden Alexis' film is superb and he will be a damn good to great WR at Texas in the mold of Quan Cosby. Let's circle back in a few years.

He looks like a legit receiver. It’s telling how deep the pool is for receivers when we miss on all of our first and second choices yet still sign several great prospects. 

51 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He looks like a legit receiver. It’s telling how deep the pool is for receivers when we miss on all of our first and second choices yet still sign several great prospects. 

The 247 eval for him compares him to Christian Kirk and projects him to be a UFA. I presume they meant UDFA.

spacer.png

Edited by Bevo14

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

When it comes to describing their style of play, would you prefer they use some 3-star at, like, Miami that you've never heard of?

No. I'd prefer it if they put a more sensible draft prediction that lines up with their player comparison if they're going to do silly NFL draft predictions at all.

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

No. I'd prefer it if they put a more sensible draft prediction that lines up with their player comparison if they're going to do silly NFL draft predictions at all.

So then for someone they see as a UFA they'd use some guy pretty much no one's heard of as the comp and it would be (even more) useless.

The idea is just to give the general recruitnik a basic idea of how the guy plays and a way to get excited about his ceiling that is at least a little informed.

Burton's personal rankings of the '21 class

Spoiler

One of the things I like about recruiting is the difference of views that analysts and experts have on prospects. Opinions can vary widely.

Quantifying those opinions is what led us to create the Composite ranking for 247. It’s even what led us to create the now ubiquitous star rating of recruits more than 20 years ago (yes, I was one of the three people in the room making the decision to choose stars over diamonds at Rivals if you can believe that).

We all could have been talking about five diamond recruits instead of five star recruits. Imagine that.

But as much as anyone tries to combine varying opinions into a single bite of content, the more individuality is taken away and the nuance of a single expert’s feelings are diminished.

That’s why I’ve always published my own rankings on a Texas recruiting class and its commitments after signing day.

Keep in mind, I don’t feel like my ratings are better than others, just that they are my own. Through the years, I’ve been really right on some players and really wrong on others.

So here goes:

1. DL, David Abiara, Mansfield Legacy
2. TE, Ja’Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan
3. CB, Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball
4. RB, Jonathon Brooks, Halletsville
5. WR, Jaden Alexis, Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch
6. S, JD Coffey, Kennedale
7. DB, Jamier Johnson, Pasadena (Calif.) Muir
8. LB, Terrance Cooks, Pearland Shadow Creek
9. P, Isaac Pearson, Pro-Kick Australia
10. DL, Byron Murphy, DeSoto
11. TE-HBack, Juan Davis, Everman
12. DL, Barryn Sorrell, New Orleans Holy Cross
13. WR, Keithron Lee, Bryan Rudder
14. WR, Casey Cain, New Orleans Easton
15. LB, Morice Blackwell, Arlington Martin
16. DL, Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney
17. DL, Jordon Thomas, Port Arthur Memorial
18. QB, Charles Wright, Austin High
19. OL, Max Merrill, Houston Strake Jesuit
20. TE, Gunnar Helm, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek
21. OL, Hayden Connor, Katy Taylor

Notes:

- I went with Abiara over Sanders. I think Sanders is a special talent on D. I think he’s very good on O.

- I think Ibraheem was the top cover guy based on potential in the state. He has a ton of upside.

- I’m not sure Jonathan Brooks will be an answer at RB. But I think he was one of the state’s top athletes. I actually think he might be a perfect Big 12 LB prospect but he’s obviously not going to start off there.

- I look for guys who have a single trait that they can rely on at the college level, a trait that makes them different. Alexis has elite speed.

- Coffey may be the most productive player of the entire group. But he’s a tweener for me because he lacks top-end speed. He’s a Chris Brown type.

- Johnson has to prove he can play corner at the college level. Like Ibraheem, he has terrific arm length but he plays more like a safety.

- I like Juan Davis a bunch. I’m intrigued to figure out where Texas finds a place for him. I hope he’s not a tweener size-wise wherever he ends up.

- If Lee were to decide he wanted to be a corner, he’d be a top 5 guy in the class for me.

- Yes, I thought OL recruiting overall was just that bad. It’s not that I think either Merrill or Connor are wasted scholarships or anything like that. It’s just that, for their positions, they were simply way down the line compared to others available in state.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

One of the things I like about recruiting is the difference of views that analysts and experts have on prospects. Opinions can vary widely.

Quantifying those opinions is what led us to create the Composite ranking for 247. It’s even what led us to create the now ubiquitous star rating of recruits more than 20 years ago (yes, I was one of the three people in the room making the decision to choose stars over diamonds at Rivals if you can believe that).

We all could have been talking about five diamond recruits instead of five star recruits. Imagine that.

But as much as anyone tries to combine varying opinions into a single bite of content, the more individuality is taken away and the nuance of a single expert’s feelings are diminished.

That’s why I’ve always published my own rankings on a Texas recruiting class and its commitments after signing day.

Keep in mind, I don’t feel like my ratings are better than others, just that they are my own. Through the years, I’ve been really right on some players and really wrong on others.

So here goes:

Notes:

- I went with Abiara over Sanders. I think Sanders is a special talent on D. I think he’s very good on O.

- I think Ibraheem was the top cover guy based on potential in the state. He has a ton of upside.

- I’m not sure Jonathan Brooks will be an answer at RB. But I think he was one of the state’s top athletes. I actually think he might be a perfect Big 12 LB prospect but he’s obviously not going to start off there.

- I look for guys who have a single trait that they can rely on at the college level, a trait that makes them different. Alexis has elite speed.

- Coffey may be the most productive player of the entire group. But he’s a tweener for me because he lacks top-end speed. He’s a Chris Brown type.

- Johnson has to prove he can play corner at the college level. Like Ibraheem, he has terrific arm length but he plays more like a safety.

- I like Juan Davis a bunch. I’m intrigued to figure out where Texas finds a place for him. I hope he’s not a tweener size-wise wherever he ends up.

- If Lee were to decide he wanted to be a corner, he’d be a top 5 guy in the class for me.

- Yes, I thought OL recruiting overall was just that bad. It’s not that I think either Merrill or Connor are wasted scholarships or anything like that. It’s just that, for their positions, they were simply way down the line compared to others available in state.

@golfclap any thoughts on Burton having Abiara #1 in the class? 

holy shit. Those are some hilarious rankings. Abiara #1, Conner last behind even Merrill. This is giving me flashbacks of when Burton ranked LJH as the worst recruit in the 2016 class. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

holy shit. Those are some hilarious rankings. Abiara #1, Conner last behind even Merrill. This is giving me flashbacks of when Burton ranked LJH as the worst recruit in the 2016 class. 

Yeah. Conner is basically a lock to be an All American 1st round pick now.

Edited by Bevo14

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

So here goes:

Notes:

He is SO BAD at evaluation. Damn.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fun idea, though. Shoot your shot.

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

So here goes:

Notes:

Connor has to improve his footwork or he really is just going to be depth at best. He cannot play center or tackle so obviously only being able to play guard is going to limit him. I do not see it at all with Helm or Wright. I think the PWO we signed is a better QB prospect. 

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fun idea, though. Shoot your shot.

People will quickly tell me how awful this is but this is what I think are the top 10: 

Sanders

Blackwell

Alexis

Lee

Ibraheem

Coffey

Murphy

Abiara

Davis 

Brooks

I guess as an amateur there is something I’m missing on Blackwell. I realize he is a tweener in size but watching him play I think he might end up being the most productive player in the class. I’m also pretty bullish the WR prospects we signed. I thought they were much better than I expected. 

Edited by Newy25

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Has anyone else ever mentioned Brooks as anything other than a RB? Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen him called an athlete take. 

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He's got to be trolling. Truly. 

Abiara looks like Tarzan, plays like a narcolept. If you took his entire high school career and put together the top highlights you could make a compelling case that there are a couple more plays made than there are if you took any random single Sanders full game and pulled those highlights. 

The 9.95ers ranking of Foster v. Conner is one of the most laughable things I've seen recently. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He's got to be trolling. Truly. 

Abiara looks like Tarzan, plays like a narcolept. If you took his entire high school career and put together the top highlights you could make a compelling case that there are a couple more plays made than there are if you took any random single Sanders full game and pulled those highlights. 

The 9.95ers ranking of Foster v. Conner is one of the most laughable things I've seen recently. 

Yes but Foster has a fun nickname and acts like a prissy bitch when gently criticized on social media, did you account for that?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

People will quickly tell me how awful this is but this is what I think are the top 10: 

Sanders

Blackwell

Alexis

Lee

Ibraheem

Coffey

Murphy

Abiara

Davis 

Brooks

I guess as an amateur there is something I’m missing on Blackwell. I realize he is a tweener in size but watching him play I think he might end up being the most productive player in the class. I’m also pretty bullish the WR prospects we signed. I thought they were much better than I expected. 

It's not a terrible list. With COVID cancelling all camps, all-american games, football some of these guys, etc., it's almost impossible for an amateur fan to rank this class. Take Brooks for example, he's a good football player, but no one really knows what his athleticism is like since there arent any testing numbers for him. If he were to test better thane xpected, I'd very high on him. If he tested poorly, then there'd be a lot of concern about him being able to contribute at the college level. It's just hard to know with him.

Re Conner, his footwork has steadily improved since his sophomore year, because he's still growing into his body and he's an extremely hard worker. He needs to lose some bad weight, but I think his footwork is already pretty solid for guard and I expect him to be a multi-year starter.  A lot of OL development is about being willing to put in the work in the weight room and on technique, and I expect Conner to do both at a very high level. 

• Hook 'Em 1