Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He's got to be trolling. Truly. 

Abiara looks like Tarzan, plays like a narcolept. If you took his entire high school career and put together the top highlights you could make a compelling case that there are a couple more plays made than there are if you took any random single Sanders full game and pulled those highlights. 

The 9.95ers ranking of Foster v. Conner is one of the most laughable things I've seen recently. 

Yeah, I get the potential upside with Foster, but one guy is good at football right now and the other isn't, yet Foster's a 5 star and Conner's a 3 star.

I dug up Burton's assessments of the previous three signing classes.

Spoiler

Rank, Name, Pos., School, 247Sports Industry Composite Natl. Rank
1. BJ Foster, S, Angleton (24)
2. Jalen Green, CB, Houston Heights (47)
3. Keondre Coburn, DL, Spring Westfield (123)
4. Keaontay Ingram, RB, Carthage (164)
5. Caden Sterns, S, Cibolo Steele (19)
6. Byron Hobbs, LB/ATH, Fort Worth Eastern Hills (446)
7. Rafiti Ghirmai, OL, Frisco Wakeland (303)
8. DeMarvion Overshown, DB/ATH, Arp (52)
9. Anthony Cook, CB, Houston Lamar (64)
10. Malcolm Epps, TE, Spring DeKaney (227)
11. Michael Williams, LB/DL, Baton Rouge (La.) Dunham (528)
12. Mikey Grandy, OL, College of San Mateo (NA/Juco)
13. Brennan Eagles, WR, Alief Taylor (61)
14. Moro Ojomo, DL, Katy (390)
15. Junior Angilau, OL, Salt Lake City East (125)
16. Joseph Ossai, DL, Conroe Oak Ridge (186)
17. Joshua Moore, WR, Yoakum (96)
18. Deshawn Jamison, DB/ATH, Houston Lamar (115)
19. Reese Moore, OL, Seminole (300)
20. Casey Thompson, QB, Newcastle, Okla. (291)
21. Ayodele Adeoye, LB, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy 119)
22. Cameron Dicker, K, Lake Travis (NA)
23. Cameron Rising, QB, Newbury Park, Calif. (247)
24. Al'Vonte Woodard, WR, Houston Lamar (104)
25. Christian Jones, OL, Houston Cy Woods (727)
26. Daniel Carson, DL, Independence (Mo.) Chrisman (537)
27. Ryan Bujcevski, P, Australia (NA)

Some notes...

- I don't really know what to think yet on Demarvion Overshown because I don't know if he'll be able to adapt at playing a different position.

- I don't get how or why Bryon Hobbs wasn't considered a national prospect. He's a bouncy, big athlete who has some suddenness to him and plays through contact.

- If you read my article yesterday, some of you may have taken my critique of Keaontay Ingram the wrong way. I believe he's an elite football player.

- The DB class truly is ridiculously talented.

- I'd challenge anyone to watch Rafiti Ghirmai's senior video and suggest he's not an elite OL prospect.

- The receiver group is interesting to me. Eagles is a combine freak but he doesn't make enough plays for my taste. That could be on him, it could be on his high school QB or the offensive system. He is a mismatch problem though.

- I like Epps and Williams at Nos. 10 and 11 because they are football players first. Sure, they are talented, but football is very important to them and they put in the work.

- I think Angilau's ability to pass protect is a legit question based on what I've seen. Admittedly, I could be way wrong on that, but I call it how I see it.

- Reese Moore and Christian Jones are both as impressive as you're going to find from a talent and size standpoint. It'll be up to them and the coaches to maximize their output on the college level. I think both are further away than the others at their positions.

- Moro Ojomo is a big question mark to me. Yes, he's a definite player, but his age is so different than the others. I mean, he's only 16. There's just no telling where he ends up physically. Is he even done growing, or is he going to end up 6-5 or 6-6?

Spoiler

1. WR-ATH, Jordan Whittington, 6-0, 198, Cuero - his state championship game performance put him on another level for me, and his subsequent all-star week didn't change my opinion one bit; I feel like he's a baller in the truest sense of the word and it shows on the biggest of stages

2. WR, Bru McCoy, 6-2, 205, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei - elite athlete and football player; tough-minded and a smooth operator downfield; Texas truly hit a home run

3. LB, De'Gabriel Floyd, 6-1.5, 231, Westlake (Calif.) Westlake Village - must grow into the position in run support but already understands pass coverage as well or better than a lot of college linebackers; elite athlete for his size

4. S-ATH, Tyler Owens, 6-2, 197, Plano East - physical freak because of size/speed ratio; suprisingly excellent footwork in pass coverage for both his size and age; very flexible; must get better at taking the right angles in pursuit

5. OL, Tyler Johnson, 6-5, 308, Conroe Oak Ridge - he's been described as a "block of granite", that should give you an idea his physical make-up; long-arms and more-than-adequate feet; I think he's a right tackle or interior lineman long-term

6. DE, Myron Warren, 6-3, 240, Many (La.) - very violent; natural pass rusher; small-school product so he will need work in the weight room to add size and strength but his motor is almost Poona Ford-like

7. CB-S, Chris Adimora, 6-1.5, 192, Lakewood (Calif.) Mayfair - long and lanky; uber-athletic; may be best all-around athlete in the entire class; surprisingly good short-space quickness for his size; could play on offense or defense

8. WR-PR, Jake Smith, 6-1, 189, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Notre Dame Prep - I watched Tim Dwight in high school (you young ones will have to Google him) and that's probably who Smith reminds me of most; excellent short-space quickness and seems to be a heady player; I want to see what happens the first time he really gets tackled hard because I'm not sure that's ever happened before; lots of competition at this position

9. CB, Kenyatta Watson II, 6-2, 182, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson - long, tall corner; good speed with Davante Davis-like build; some question his downfield ball skills but that's quibbling if the rest of the traits check out

10. OL, Javonne Shepherd, 6-6, 327, Houston North Forest - others would kill for his combination of size and athleticism; it's rare not just in the state of Texas but nationally; the knock has been his commitment to the game both on and off the field; could be special, it'll be up to him

11. TE, Brayden Liebrock, 6-5, 220, Chandler (Ariz.) - it'd be easy to dismiss Liebrock as a run-of-the-mill product in a class like this because he's not the fastest nor the biggest; but he's an excellent football player and I think he will eventually take to blocking on the interior

12. WR, Marcus Washington, 6-2, 191, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic - as with Whittington, Washington also balled out on the brightest of stages; he had three TD catches of more than 35 yards in the state title game and also won the MVP for his two-TD performance in the Under Armour game; also a talented basketball player; I also like his toughness

13. DL, T'Vondre Sweat, 6-3, 249, Huntsville - Sweat helped lead a Huntsville team deeper into the playoffs than I can ever remember; he was a real enforcer at times; also plays basketball; major question is his motor, but played more consistently as a senior

14. LB, David Gbenda, 6-0, 218, Katy Cinco Ranch - ranked lower than perhaps some might expect; Gbenda is a load as a hitter and likes to disrupt plays in the backfield; but the question mark for me comes from his feel for the passing game; if he can get a good feel for that, then he's got a chance to be really good

15. DE, Jacoby Jones, 6-4, 250, Butler Co. (Kans.) Junior College - the Horns expect Jones to play immediately because he's more physically ready than the other incoming linemen but there are questions whether or not he's an elite prospect

16. DE, Peter Mpagi, 6-4.5, 224, Richmond George Ranch - the similarities to a young Charles Omenihu are all there; not super-productive in high school but makes a lot of flash plays; and his size and arm length are simply undeniable; excellent developmental prospect

17. LB, Marcus Tillman Jr., 6-1, 220, Orlando (Fla.) Jones - don't sleep on Tillman; hard-nosed, tough and quicker more than fast; also instinctual; the Horns loved him in camp; his mentality may match Todd Orlando's better than any of the incoming LBs

18. OL, Isaiah Hookfin, 6-5, 270, Sugar Land Dulles - when you talk about molding a recruit into a future NFL player, you want to start with players like Mpagi and Hookfin; excellent feet and body movement; good athlete and competitor; must improve strength, so it'll take a couple of years for him to get where he needs to be

19. QB, Roschon Johnson, 6-1, 192, Port Neches-Groves - unlike most QBs these days, Johnson has never worked with a private QB tutor to hone his game; so he's still very raw; but he's wildly talented; could look back at this ranking and be ashamed of myself but most QBs are coming out of high school as more refined products these days because of advances in the passing game

20. TE-ATH, Jared Wiley, 6-6, 225, Temple - while he lists at 225 pounds, he could easily already be in the 250-pound range; he is simply a bonus-sized athlete at this point; while TE is the long-term plan, I could see him even growing into an offensive tackle or maybe defensive end; some have questioned his physical nature, so that, plus the uncertainty surrounding his positional future, makes him rank lower

21. WR, Kennedy Lewis, 6-3, 190, Melissa - coaches at his high school think Lewis might run a 10.5-second 100-meter this spring; that's moving for someone so big; but Lewis' issue is that he's more prospect than player at this point; he doesn't run great routes and seems to fight the ball as a receiver at times; still, his size/speed combo is special

22. LB, Caleb Johnson, 6-1, 215, Fullerton (Calif.) Junior College - sat out all of this season with injury; shows excellent closing speed on tape and is a willing open-field tackler; must get healthy and then see where he fits athletically; somewhat concerned about him against the power run

23. CB, Marques Caldwell, 6-1, 171, Alvin - no respect; that's what Caldwell gets; he's battled injuries and is thought to be a step slower than the other DB prospects; however, the Horns liked his ball skills, flexibility and mentality at his size

UR. RB, Derrian Brown, 5-11, 188, Buford (Ga.)

I try to remind readers at least once a year about the reasonable expectations of a recruiting class.

If a single recruiting class creates 12 or more eventual "starters", along with requisite good on-field team results, then it's considered a very good class.

Coaches will hope that at least 15 of these players contribute to the program at varying levels throughout their careers. Of course, some years it will be more and some it will be less.

I feel like last year's class was a bit deeper than this year's. But I feel this one may be more top-heavy by comparison.

Last year, the secondary class was among the nation's best. This year, it's the wide receiver unit that is astounding.

But just remember, if the Horns get 12 starters (half of a 24-man class) and have 15 players from this class truly contribute over the long haul, then that's one of the ways we'll determine whether or not this class will live up to its billing.

2020 (he did position-by-position grading instead of a straight ranking)

Spoiler

I'm a firm believer that a key part of recruiting is addressing a team's needs. However, that is almost never factored into final team rankings. Yet not signing a certain position or the right player at a certain position can be a death knell (think Texas and the QBs the Longhorns' program endured for the better part of the past decade).

With that in mind, I'm looking at this year's class from that viewpoint in today's column, while also grading out recruiting at the position overall and its strengths and weaknesses.

Quarterbacks

Hudson Card, 6-2.5, 179, Lake Travis, Ranked No. 7 in the state

Ja'Quinden Jackson, 6-2, 219, Duncanville, No. 10

Strengths/Weaknesses: I think Texas hit a homerun here. Too often a team signs a great runner/developmental passer, like Jackson, and no other QB in a class. That's exactly what Texas did a year ago with Roschon Johnson. But that leaves you exposed if QB doesn't work out for that player. The signing of Card is no small thing. Texas, more than likely, added a starting QB of the future in this class. Whether that's Card or Jackson is to be determined. But going after - and signing - two prospects at the position was a necessity.

Grade: A+. It couldn't have played out any better.

Running back

Bijan Robinson, 6-0, 200, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic, No. 2 in the state of Arizona

Strengths/Weaknesses: If you're going to sign just a single running back, it might as well be the nation's no. 1 player at the position. Robinson was rarely tested on the high school level, but in all-star and camp settings against groups of similarly talented players, he still stood out. He should get carries early in his career if he can learn to handle blitz pick up enough to not expose Sam Ehlinger. But did Texas truly meet its needs at the position? Maybe not. The Horns clearly wanted to sign two RBs in this class, but lost Ty Jordan, discontinued their recruitment of Zach Evans and failed to swing Jase McClellan.

Grade: A-. Great individual player but the Horns wanted two at the position. This pretty much guarantees that Roschon Johnson stays at RB (which may have already been decided given how well he took to the position and performed).

Wide receiver

Troy Omeire, 6-3.5, 206, Fort Bend Austin, No. 37

Kelvontay Dixon, 6-0, 180, Carthage, No. 49

Dajon Harrison, 5-10, 170, Hutto, No. 70

Strengths/Weaknesses: Did Texas sign an elite receiver? Time will tell. I love Dixon as a player, but he doesn't represent the mismatch that a guy like Demond Demas or Quentin Johnston would, and he's also the only one who has legit sprinter's speed. I actually see Dixon as more of an outside receiver than inside one, which means Harrison is the true slot guy in the class. Harrison is plenty slippery, but I wouldn't put him on the same pedestal as someone like Devon Achane in the state. Omeire is already on campus in Austin. He has a great wingspan but must prove he can get off of press coverage at the line of scrimmage.

Grade: B-. Given the other prospects in the state, I think Texas should - and could - have done better. Dixon is the only one who has close to elite speed.

Tight end/H-back

Jaden Hullaby, 6-2, 205, Mansfield Timberview, No. 79

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is a hard one to gauge. I actually like Hullaby a lot as a player and recruit. He's a do-it-all type with plus athleticism and play-through-contact toughness that I think translates well to the college game. But he's also a 6-foot-2 hybrid TE/HB, so there are limitations.

Grade: B. Texas also tried to sign a blue chipper at the position in Jalin Conyers but came up short. The Horns never really engaged with another TE, which means they didn't feel the need to as much as they couldn't find one that they liked enough to do so.

Offensive line

Jake Majors, 6-3.5, 283, Prosper, No. 28

Jaylen Garth, 6-5, 285, Port Neches-Groves, No. 39

Logan Parr, 6-3.5, 280, San Antonio O'Connor, No. 41

Andrej Karic, 6-4.5, 272, Southlake Carroll, No. 53

Strengths/Weaknesses: There is decent quality in this group. I like Garth's upside more than any of the group. But Garth also suffered a season-ending knee injury that he must come back from. I also like the technique, work ethic and attention to detail of Majors. Parr is a guard, with good size and above average footwork. In many ways, I see him as the Zach Shackelford of this class. I think he has the highest floor of this OL class. Yet outside of Garth, I'm not sure any of these players truly project to play at either tackle spot. Karic was recruited as such, but I just don't see that Texas will be right on that one given his lack of arm length.

Grade: B. Solid but not spectacular. Chances are one of Majors and Parr develop into a starter. Garth's development will be key to watch.

Defensive line

Alfred Collins, 6-5, 284, Bastrop Cedar Creek, No. 8

Vernon Broughton, 6-5, 286, Cy Ridge, No. 16

Sawyer Goram-Welch, 6-4, 278, Longview, No. 154

Strengths/Weaknesses: There's no under-sized guy in this group. All of them have size, strength and good athleticism. Broughton probably has the most quickness, but he's also the rawest of the group, so it's good that he's already enrolled. Collins is a multi-sport star who has yet to focus fully on football. He could be a true force in years to come if he continues to develop and work hard. Goram-Welch is an interesting case. Texas identified and chose him over a host of other in-state prospects at the position, getting him to decommit from Oklahoma State. If he turns out to be a player, I tip my cap to the team's recruiting department. My only question is whether or not Texas signed a true pass-rushing threat for the DL?

Grade: A-. Broughton and Collins should develop into multi-year starters. They both have NFL possibilities. Goram-Welch is a wildcard. Texas would have liked one more, a truer pass-rushing threat that was in the 250-pound range.

Linebacker

Prince Dorbah, 6-2.5, 208, Highland Park, No. 17

Jaylan Ford, 6-2.5, 205, Frisco Lone Star, No. 155

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needs "better" linebackers in the worst way. Take away Joe Ossai, and it's the one position group on defense that is not on the same talent level as other position groups on campus. I like both of these guys. Physically, they are eerily simlar. Long-armed, lean-muscled and relatively quick. Dorbah was an absolute monster as a pass rusher. But at his size, he may be asked to play more off ball in college. Texas looked around late and chose Ford, who they got to de-commit from Utah. Ford makes a ton of plays in the middle of the field and can move sideline-to-sideline. I'm just not sure that Texas signed that inside linebacker who can plug the holes against the OU run game yet still get outside at the college.

Grade: B+. The quality is there. I'm just not convinced either is an inside linebacker, which means the Horns may have come up short despite the quality of both signees.

Cornerback

Kitan Crawford, 5-11, 200, Tyler John Tyler, No. 25

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needed at least two corners. They signed just one, albeit a good one. Crawford is one of the team's better signees overall. He can play corner, nickel, safety or even receiver or running back. And like some others in this class, he doesn't shy away from physicality. I also like that he has good ball skills and plus speed. Texas just needed to find another one like him.

Grade: C. Texas probably signed a future starter. But the Horns needed two in this class.

Safety

Xavian Alford, 6-0, 182, Pearland Shadow Creek, No. 22

Jerrin Thompson, 6-0.5, 183, Lufkin, No. 27

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is an interesting pairing. I feel like Texas signed two quality players. But I also feel like they both might be best suited for strong safety over any other position, meaning there's no speedy, ball-hawking free safety, that could also spin down and cover the slot in certain defensive looks. Alford's mind for the game, which I'm told is on another level from most of his peers, could help him like it has Caden Sterns. Time will tell.

Grade: C+. Chances are either Alford or Thompson will end up a starter but not both because of lack of position flexibility. I clearly could be wrong, but that's my initial take and why the grade is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's not a terrible list. With COVID cancelling all camps, all-american games, football some of these guys, etc., it's almost impossible for an amateur fan to rank this class. Take Brooks for example, he's a good football player, but no one really knows what his athleticism is like since there arent any testing numbers for him. If he were to test better thane xpected, I'd very high on him. If he tested poorly, then there'd be a lot of concern about him being able to contribute at the college level. It's just hard to know with him.

Re Conner, his footwork has steadily improved since his sophomore year, because he's still growing into his body and he's an extremely hard worker. He needs to lose some bad weight, but I think his footwork is already pretty solid for guard and I expect him to be a multi-year starter.  A lot of OL development is about being willing to put in the work in the weight room and on technique, and I expect Conner to do both at a very high level. 

That’s good news on Connor. I’m just so cynical now on big, guard only prospects after so many have not panned out over the years. Brooks is kind of like Coffey to me.  Neither look like they have elite speed but are just good at football. Obviously if they are just so slow they cannot translate that to college that is a problem but I don’t think that is the case. Definitely redshirt both of them if you can and just have them focus on strength and conditioning. 

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I dug up Burton's assessments of the previous three signing classes.

Hide contents

Rank, Name, Pos., School, 247Sports Industry Composite Natl. Rank
1. BJ Foster, S, Angleton (24)
2. Jalen Green, CB, Houston Heights (47)
3. Keondre Coburn, DL, Spring Westfield (123)
4. Keaontay Ingram, RB, Carthage (164)
5. Caden Sterns, S, Cibolo Steele (19)
6. Byron Hobbs, LB/ATH, Fort Worth Eastern Hills (446)
7. Rafiti Ghirmai, OL, Frisco Wakeland (303)
8. DeMarvion Overshown, DB/ATH, Arp (52)
9. Anthony Cook, CB, Houston Lamar (64)
10. Malcolm Epps, TE, Spring DeKaney (227)
11. Michael Williams, LB/DL, Baton Rouge (La.) Dunham (528)
12. Mikey Grandy, OL, College of San Mateo (NA/Juco)
13. Brennan Eagles, WR, Alief Taylor (61)
14. Moro Ojomo, DL, Katy (390)
15. Junior Angilau, OL, Salt Lake City East (125)
16. Joseph Ossai, DL, Conroe Oak Ridge (186)
17. Joshua Moore, WR, Yoakum (96)
18. Deshawn Jamison, DB/ATH, Houston Lamar (115)
19. Reese Moore, OL, Seminole (300)
20. Casey Thompson, QB, Newcastle, Okla. (291)
21. Ayodele Adeoye, LB, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy 119)
22. Cameron Dicker, K, Lake Travis (NA)
23. Cameron Rising, QB, Newbury Park, Calif. (247)
24. Al'Vonte Woodard, WR, Houston Lamar (104)
25. Christian Jones, OL, Houston Cy Woods (727)
26. Daniel Carson, DL, Independence (Mo.) Chrisman (537)
27. Ryan Bujcevski, P, Australia (NA)

Some notes...

- I don't really know what to think yet on Demarvion Overshown because I don't know if he'll be able to adapt at playing a different position.

- I don't get how or why Bryon Hobbs wasn't considered a national prospect. He's a bouncy, big athlete who has some suddenness to him and plays through contact.

- If you read my article yesterday, some of you may have taken my critique of Keaontay Ingram the wrong way. I believe he's an elite football player.

- The DB class truly is ridiculously talented.

- I'd challenge anyone to watch Rafiti Ghirmai's senior video and suggest he's not an elite OL prospect.

- The receiver group is interesting to me. Eagles is a combine freak but he doesn't make enough plays for my taste. That could be on him, it could be on his high school QB or the offensive system. He is a mismatch problem though.

- I like Epps and Williams at Nos. 10 and 11 because they are football players first. Sure, they are talented, but football is very important to them and they put in the work.

- I think Angilau's ability to pass protect is a legit question based on what I've seen. Admittedly, I could be way wrong on that, but I call it how I see it.

- Reese Moore and Christian Jones are both as impressive as you're going to find from a talent and size standpoint. It'll be up to them and the coaches to maximize their output on the college level. I think both are further away than the others at their positions.

- Moro Ojomo is a big question mark to me. Yes, he's a definite player, but his age is so different than the others. I mean, he's only 16. There's just no telling where he ends up physically. Is he even done growing, or is he going to end up 6-5 or 6-6?

Hide contents

1. WR-ATH, Jordan Whittington, 6-0, 198, Cuero - his state championship game performance put him on another level for me, and his subsequent all-star week didn't change my opinion one bit; I feel like he's a baller in the truest sense of the word and it shows on the biggest of stages

2. WR, Bru McCoy, 6-2, 205, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei - elite athlete and football player; tough-minded and a smooth operator downfield; Texas truly hit a home run

3. LB, De'Gabriel Floyd, 6-1.5, 231, Westlake (Calif.) Westlake Village - must grow into the position in run support but already understands pass coverage as well or better than a lot of college linebackers; elite athlete for his size

4. S-ATH, Tyler Owens, 6-2, 197, Plano East - physical freak because of size/speed ratio; suprisingly excellent footwork in pass coverage for both his size and age; very flexible; must get better at taking the right angles in pursuit

5. OL, Tyler Johnson, 6-5, 308, Conroe Oak Ridge - he's been described as a "block of granite", that should give you an idea his physical make-up; long-arms and more-than-adequate feet; I think he's a right tackle or interior lineman long-term

6. DE, Myron Warren, 6-3, 240, Many (La.) - very violent; natural pass rusher; small-school product so he will need work in the weight room to add size and strength but his motor is almost Poona Ford-like

7. CB-S, Chris Adimora, 6-1.5, 192, Lakewood (Calif.) Mayfair - long and lanky; uber-athletic; may be best all-around athlete in the entire class; surprisingly good short-space quickness for his size; could play on offense or defense

8. WR-PR, Jake Smith, 6-1, 189, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Notre Dame Prep - I watched Tim Dwight in high school (you young ones will have to Google him) and that's probably who Smith reminds me of most; excellent short-space quickness and seems to be a heady player; I want to see what happens the first time he really gets tackled hard because I'm not sure that's ever happened before; lots of competition at this position

9. CB, Kenyatta Watson II, 6-2, 182, Loganville (Ga.) Grayson - long, tall corner; good speed with Davante Davis-like build; some question his downfield ball skills but that's quibbling if the rest of the traits check out

10. OL, Javonne Shepherd, 6-6, 327, Houston North Forest - others would kill for his combination of size and athleticism; it's rare not just in the state of Texas but nationally; the knock has been his commitment to the game both on and off the field; could be special, it'll be up to him

11. TE, Brayden Liebrock, 6-5, 220, Chandler (Ariz.) - it'd be easy to dismiss Liebrock as a run-of-the-mill product in a class like this because he's not the fastest nor the biggest; but he's an excellent football player and I think he will eventually take to blocking on the interior

12. WR, Marcus Washington, 6-2, 191, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic - as with Whittington, Washington also balled out on the brightest of stages; he had three TD catches of more than 35 yards in the state title game and also won the MVP for his two-TD performance in the Under Armour game; also a talented basketball player; I also like his toughness

13. DL, T'Vondre Sweat, 6-3, 249, Huntsville - Sweat helped lead a Huntsville team deeper into the playoffs than I can ever remember; he was a real enforcer at times; also plays basketball; major question is his motor, but played more consistently as a senior

14. LB, David Gbenda, 6-0, 218, Katy Cinco Ranch - ranked lower than perhaps some might expect; Gbenda is a load as a hitter and likes to disrupt plays in the backfield; but the question mark for me comes from his feel for the passing game; if he can get a good feel for that, then he's got a chance to be really good

15. DE, Jacoby Jones, 6-4, 250, Butler Co. (Kans.) Junior College - the Horns expect Jones to play immediately because he's more physically ready than the other incoming linemen but there are questions whether or not he's an elite prospect

16. DE, Peter Mpagi, 6-4.5, 224, Richmond George Ranch - the similarities to a young Charles Omenihu are all there; not super-productive in high school but makes a lot of flash plays; and his size and arm length are simply undeniable; excellent developmental prospect

17. LB, Marcus Tillman Jr., 6-1, 220, Orlando (Fla.) Jones - don't sleep on Tillman; hard-nosed, tough and quicker more than fast; also instinctual; the Horns loved him in camp; his mentality may match Todd Orlando's better than any of the incoming LBs

18. OL, Isaiah Hookfin, 6-5, 270, Sugar Land Dulles - when you talk about molding a recruit into a future NFL player, you want to start with players like Mpagi and Hookfin; excellent feet and body movement; good athlete and competitor; must improve strength, so it'll take a couple of years for him to get where he needs to be

19. QB, Roschon Johnson, 6-1, 192, Port Neches-Groves - unlike most QBs these days, Johnson has never worked with a private QB tutor to hone his game; so he's still very raw; but he's wildly talented; could look back at this ranking and be ashamed of myself but most QBs are coming out of high school as more refined products these days because of advances in the passing game

20. TE-ATH, Jared Wiley, 6-6, 225, Temple - while he lists at 225 pounds, he could easily already be in the 250-pound range; he is simply a bonus-sized athlete at this point; while TE is the long-term plan, I could see him even growing into an offensive tackle or maybe defensive end; some have questioned his physical nature, so that, plus the uncertainty surrounding his positional future, makes him rank lower

21. WR, Kennedy Lewis, 6-3, 190, Melissa - coaches at his high school think Lewis might run a 10.5-second 100-meter this spring; that's moving for someone so big; but Lewis' issue is that he's more prospect than player at this point; he doesn't run great routes and seems to fight the ball as a receiver at times; still, his size/speed combo is special

22. LB, Caleb Johnson, 6-1, 215, Fullerton (Calif.) Junior College - sat out all of this season with injury; shows excellent closing speed on tape and is a willing open-field tackler; must get healthy and then see where he fits athletically; somewhat concerned about him against the power run

23. CB, Marques Caldwell, 6-1, 171, Alvin - no respect; that's what Caldwell gets; he's battled injuries and is thought to be a step slower than the other DB prospects; however, the Horns liked his ball skills, flexibility and mentality at his size

UR. RB, Derrian Brown, 5-11, 188, Buford (Ga.)

I try to remind readers at least once a year about the reasonable expectations of a recruiting class.

If a single recruiting class creates 12 or more eventual "starters", along with requisite good on-field team results, then it's considered a very good class.

Coaches will hope that at least 15 of these players contribute to the program at varying levels throughout their careers. Of course, some years it will be more and some it will be less.

I feel like last year's class was a bit deeper than this year's. But I feel this one may be more top-heavy by comparison.

Last year, the secondary class was among the nation's best. This year, it's the wide receiver unit that is astounding.

But just remember, if the Horns get 12 starters (half of a 24-man class) and have 15 players from this class truly contribute over the long haul, then that's one of the ways we'll determine whether or not this class will live up to its billing.

2020 (he did position-by-position grading instead of a straight ranking)

Hide contents

I'm a firm believer that a key part of recruiting is addressing a team's needs. However, that is almost never factored into final team rankings. Yet not signing a certain position or the right player at a certain position can be a death knell (think Texas and the QBs the Longhorns' program endured for the better part of the past decade).

With that in mind, I'm looking at this year's class from that viewpoint in today's column, while also grading out recruiting at the position overall and its strengths and weaknesses.

Quarterbacks

Hudson Card, 6-2.5, 179, Lake Travis, Ranked No. 7 in the state

Ja'Quinden Jackson, 6-2, 219, Duncanville, No. 10

Strengths/Weaknesses: I think Texas hit a homerun here. Too often a team signs a great runner/developmental passer, like Jackson, and no other QB in a class. That's exactly what Texas did a year ago with Roschon Johnson. But that leaves you exposed if QB doesn't work out for that player. The signing of Card is no small thing. Texas, more than likely, added a starting QB of the future in this class. Whether that's Card or Jackson is to be determined. But going after - and signing - two prospects at the position was a necessity.

Grade: A+. It couldn't have played out any better.

Running back

Bijan Robinson, 6-0, 200, Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic, No. 2 in the state of Arizona

Strengths/Weaknesses: If you're going to sign just a single running back, it might as well be the nation's no. 1 player at the position. Robinson was rarely tested on the high school level, but in all-star and camp settings against groups of similarly talented players, he still stood out. He should get carries early in his career if he can learn to handle blitz pick up enough to not expose Sam Ehlinger. But did Texas truly meet its needs at the position? Maybe not. The Horns clearly wanted to sign two RBs in this class, but lost Ty Jordan, discontinued their recruitment of Zach Evans and failed to swing Jase McClellan.

Grade: A-. Great individual player but the Horns wanted two at the position. This pretty much guarantees that Roschon Johnson stays at RB (which may have already been decided given how well he took to the position and performed).

Wide receiver

Troy Omeire, 6-3.5, 206, Fort Bend Austin, No. 37

Kelvontay Dixon, 6-0, 180, Carthage, No. 49

Dajon Harrison, 5-10, 170, Hutto, No. 70

Strengths/Weaknesses: Did Texas sign an elite receiver? Time will tell. I love Dixon as a player, but he doesn't represent the mismatch that a guy like Demond Demas or Quentin Johnston would, and he's also the only one who has legit sprinter's speed. I actually see Dixon as more of an outside receiver than inside one, which means Harrison is the true slot guy in the class. Harrison is plenty slippery, but I wouldn't put him on the same pedestal as someone like Devon Achane in the state. Omeire is already on campus in Austin. He has a great wingspan but must prove he can get off of press coverage at the line of scrimmage.

Grade: B-. Given the other prospects in the state, I think Texas should - and could - have done better. Dixon is the only one who has close to elite speed.

Tight end/H-back

Jaden Hullaby, 6-2, 205, Mansfield Timberview, No. 79

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is a hard one to gauge. I actually like Hullaby a lot as a player and recruit. He's a do-it-all type with plus athleticism and play-through-contact toughness that I think translates well to the college game. But he's also a 6-foot-2 hybrid TE/HB, so there are limitations.

Grade: B. Texas also tried to sign a blue chipper at the position in Jalin Conyers but came up short. The Horns never really engaged with another TE, which means they didn't feel the need to as much as they couldn't find one that they liked enough to do so.

Offensive line

Jake Majors, 6-3.5, 283, Prosper, No. 28

Jaylen Garth, 6-5, 285, Port Neches-Groves, No. 39

Logan Parr, 6-3.5, 280, San Antonio O'Connor, No. 41

Andrej Karic, 6-4.5, 272, Southlake Carroll, No. 53

Strengths/Weaknesses: There is decent quality in this group. I like Garth's upside more than any of the group. But Garth also suffered a season-ending knee injury that he must come back from. I also like the technique, work ethic and attention to detail of Majors. Parr is a guard, with good size and above average footwork. In many ways, I see him as the Zach Shackelford of this class. I think he has the highest floor of this OL class. Yet outside of Garth, I'm not sure any of these players truly project to play at either tackle spot. Karic was recruited as such, but I just don't see that Texas will be right on that one given his lack of arm length.

Grade: B. Solid but not spectacular. Chances are one of Majors and Parr develop into a starter. Garth's development will be key to watch.

Defensive line

Alfred Collins, 6-5, 284, Bastrop Cedar Creek, No. 8

Vernon Broughton, 6-5, 286, Cy Ridge, No. 16

Sawyer Goram-Welch, 6-4, 278, Longview, No. 154

Strengths/Weaknesses: There's no under-sized guy in this group. All of them have size, strength and good athleticism. Broughton probably has the most quickness, but he's also the rawest of the group, so it's good that he's already enrolled. Collins is a multi-sport star who has yet to focus fully on football. He could be a true force in years to come if he continues to develop and work hard. Goram-Welch is an interesting case. Texas identified and chose him over a host of other in-state prospects at the position, getting him to decommit from Oklahoma State. If he turns out to be a player, I tip my cap to the team's recruiting department. My only question is whether or not Texas signed a true pass-rushing threat for the DL?

Grade: A-. Broughton and Collins should develop into multi-year starters. They both have NFL possibilities. Goram-Welch is a wildcard. Texas would have liked one more, a truer pass-rushing threat that was in the 250-pound range.

Linebacker

Prince Dorbah, 6-2.5, 208, Highland Park, No. 17

Jaylan Ford, 6-2.5, 205, Frisco Lone Star, No. 155

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needs "better" linebackers in the worst way. Take away Joe Ossai, and it's the one position group on defense that is not on the same talent level as other position groups on campus. I like both of these guys. Physically, they are eerily simlar. Long-armed, lean-muscled and relatively quick. Dorbah was an absolute monster as a pass rusher. But at his size, he may be asked to play more off ball in college. Texas looked around late and chose Ford, who they got to de-commit from Utah. Ford makes a ton of plays in the middle of the field and can move sideline-to-sideline. I'm just not sure that Texas signed that inside linebacker who can plug the holes against the OU run game yet still get outside at the college.

Grade: B+. The quality is there. I'm just not convinced either is an inside linebacker, which means the Horns may have come up short despite the quality of both signees.

Cornerback

Kitan Crawford, 5-11, 200, Tyler John Tyler, No. 25

Strengths/Weaknesses: Texas needed at least two corners. They signed just one, albeit a good one. Crawford is one of the team's better signees overall. He can play corner, nickel, safety or even receiver or running back. And like some others in this class, he doesn't shy away from physicality. I also like that he has good ball skills and plus speed. Texas just needed to find another one like him.

Grade: C. Texas probably signed a future starter. But the Horns needed two in this class.

Safety

Xavian Alford, 6-0, 182, Pearland Shadow Creek, No. 22

Jerrin Thompson, 6-0.5, 183, Lufkin, No. 27

Strengths/Weaknesses: This is an interesting pairing. I feel like Texas signed two quality players. But I also feel like they both might be best suited for strong safety over any other position, meaning there's no speedy, ball-hawking free safety, that could also spin down and cover the slot in certain defensive looks. Alford's mind for the game, which I'm told is on another level from most of his peers, could help him like it has Caden Sterns. Time will tell.

Grade: C+. Chances are either Alford or Thompson will end up a starter but not both because of lack of position flexibility. I clearly could be wrong, but that's my initial take and why the grade is what it is.

The jury's still out on 2019 and 2020 and both will be hit hard by attrition so it will always be hard to say for sure, but holy shit his 2018 rankings are bad.  2015 - 2017 rankings are probably on shaggy, but from what I remember he was pretty bad on those too. I don't know if Burton was ever good at evals, but he's clearly been lazy and uninformed in recent history. I wouldn't put any weight to his rankings.

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That’s good news on Connor. I’m just so cynical now on big, guard only prospects after so many have not panned out over the years. Brooks is kind of like Coffey to me.  Neither look like they have elite speed but are just good at football. Obviously if they are just so slow they cannot translate that to college that is a problem but I don’t think that is the case. Definitely redshirt both of them if you can and just have them focus on strength and conditioning. 

Yeah, Coffey and Brooks are similar. If they have the baseline athleticism needed to be P5 football players, then I think they'll both be good for us, but there's also a chance they just can't hit that point and don't pan out.  Without measurables and seeing them in camp settings against other D1 athletes, it's very hard to say at this point.

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

His 2018 ranking wasn’t terrible, honestly. 2019 that one has some big misses like Owens being so high. 

Huh?  like 6 of his top 10 in the 2018 class haven't even started a game for us and Sterns and Foster have both been underwhelming.  Having Hobbs, Epps, and Ghirmai in the top 10 was especially egregious.  Epps has always sucked, and it was obvious when we took him. Ghirmai never had a high ceiling, he's obviously been terrible. Hobbs had potential, but was always a long shot and never should've been top 10.  Then on top of that, he put Ossai, Moore, Jamison at 16-18 when those guys were obviously good. 

He might have been more accurate if he flipped his 2018 rankings from top to bottom.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Has anyone else ever mentioned Brooks as anything other than a RB? Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen him called an athlete take. 

Sure.  He played safety for his Halletsville team and was pretty good, very aggressive against the run.  And he was their punter, not bad at all.  I'm sure I wasn't the first, but I commented some weeks back that if he didn't work out at RB he seemed to have the requisite athleticism, physicality and aggression to be a Big 12 LB.  

Not that I know shit.

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Sure.  He played safety for his Halletsville team and was pretty good, very aggressive against the run.  And he was their punter, not bad at all.  I'm sure I wasn't the first, but I commented some weeks back that if he didn't work out at RB he seemed to have the requisite athleticism, physicality and aggression to be a Big 12 LB.  

Not that I know shit.

This should be the automatic signature line in every Surly post. Or, at the least, an implied term and condition thereof...

8 hours ago, Chef Bezos said:

looking at Burton's 2019 rankings had me curious about Caleb Johnson after he transferred. In his first season at UCLA this year he put up 44 tackles, 7 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 INT. Damn good season

Fuck me. They basically threw this guy in the doghouse when he showed up. One of the staff claimed he was dogging an injury and didn’t have what it takes to play at Texas. He was dead on arrival to Herman’s staff. Nice fucking work from those fuckheads. 

• Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck me. They basically threw this guy in the doghouse when he showed up. One of the staff claimed he was dogging an injury and didn’t have what it takes to play at Texas. He was dead on arrival to Herman’s staff. Nice fucking work from those fuckheads. 

The coaching stuff fucked up a good eval from the player personnel staff? Well ain't that the Herman era in a nutshell.

8 hours ago, Chef Bezos said:

looking at Burton's 2019 rankings had me curious about Caleb Johnson after he transferred. In his first season at UCLA this year he put up 44 tackles, 7 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 INT. Damn good season

Burton never liked him. First claimed that he was goofing off during his shoulder injury rehab and not taking it seriously. Then said he had the biggest bust potential of anyone in the class. Then claimed that Juwan Mitchell beat him out on the depth chart during practice which is why he transferred.

12 hours ago, Chef Bezos said:

Imagine ranking Johnson over Mitchell. A cursory review of their highlight tapes would lead anyone with eyes to conclude one guy could actually move and the other couldn’t. Of course Burton ranked the guy who couldn’t higher, and of course Herman and co ran off the guy who could move so we could start the one who couldn’t for two years because Orlando never bothered to make a HS LB offer in his 3 years here as LB coach. Good times. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

On 2/16/2021 at 10:34 AM, Ravishing Rick said:

Abiara at #1?  Can somebody help me understand that?  I have $9.95 at the ready.

this is what i don't understand. Abiara is #62 composite player in the state, 247 has him at #103 in the state. he is somewhere around the #11 composite player in the Texas class and he puts him at #1 without any clarity or even a sentence about it?

if you are ranking someone that high with that little additional info in the text either you are that over the moon for him everyone there knows how you feel (is that the case?) or there is some great skill the guy has. not sure either of those are the case.

seriously, how do you write more about Merrill and Conner - 2 of the lowest guys in the class - than you do for a guy that you literally are the highest on in the entire country?

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is what i don't understand. Abiara is #62 composite player in the state, 247 has him at #103 in the state. he is somewhere around the #11 composite player in the Texas class and he puts him at #1 without any clarity or even a sentence about it?

if you are ranking someone that high with that little additional info in the text either you are that over the moon for him everyone there knows how you feel (is that the case?) or there is some great skill the guy has. not sure either of those are the case.

seriously, how do you write more about Merrill and Conner - 2 of the lowest guys in the class - than you do for a guy that you literally are the highest on in the entire country?

Abiara is entirely about projection, so Bobby is running with that. For guys like that though, you also need all of the Jordon Thomas intangibles to put it together in college after an underwhelming high school career. Not only is Abiara missing those, but he has added character concerns. Gerry loves Abiara's measurables and potential, and while I won't disagree with him, the whole person is not taken into context here and Bobby's shot in the dark is poorly thought out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Abiara is entirely about projection, so Bobby is running with that. For guys like that though, you also need all of the Jordon Thomas intangibles to put it together in college after an underwhelming high school career. Not only is Abiara missing those, but he has added character concerns. Gerry loves Abiara's measurables and potential, and while I won't disagree with him, the whole person is not taken into context here and Bobby's shot in the dark is poorly thought out. 

Do you realize what most of this board would be doing if they were teenagers in today's climate and acted like they did as a teen? The answer is 5 to 10.

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Do you realize what most of this board would be doing if they were teenagers in today's climate and acted like they did as a teen? The answer is 5 to 10.

No doubt, the responsibility shouldered by prospects today is very different from when we were in high school. But if you know the expectations of you, and you know the visibility of your mistakes, the choice to make that mistake anyway is a red flag. Whether that's fair or not (it's not fair) is not super relevant.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

No doubt, the responsibility shouldered by prospects today is very different from when we were in high school. But if you know the expectations of you, and you know the visibility of your mistakes, the choice to make that mistake anyway is a red flag. Whether that's fair or not (it's not fair) is not super relevant.

I understand what you're saying, but perfection when you're still learning is not a realistic expectation in my opinion. Just saying I don't necessarily think one wrong decision is necessarily indicative of larger character concerns. It's worth noting and monitoring for a pattern, but I'm not personally ready to label him a character risk just yet. Just think our general expectations of teens through the lense of experience is distorted, and it's always good to remember that when we start breaking down young people. I'm just trying to extend them the same grace that was once provided to so many of us.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I understand what you're saying, but perfection when you're still learning is not a realistic expectation in my opinion. Just saying I don't necessarily think one wrong decision is necessarily indicative of larger character concerns. It's worth noting and monitoring for a pattern, but I'm not personally ready to label him a character risk just yet. Just think our general expectations of teens through the lense of experience is distorted, and it's always good to remember that when we start breaking down young people. I'm just trying to extend them the same grace that was once provided to so many of us.

Yeah, I appreciate and agree with your perspective. 

My point here is that getting arrested in the middle of your senior season is a data point against achieving the potential that's driving Bobby's ranking. I certainly hope he does, and that the staff took his commitment indicates they think he has a chance to. But, if what is likely the biggest pressure situation of his young life includes a side of B&E, assuming he'll reach that potential where the pressure is ratcheted up a notch, is pretty bat shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

45 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, I appreciate and agree with your perspective. 

My point here is that getting arrested in the middle of your senior season is a data point against achieving the potential that's driving Bobby's ranking. I certainly hope he does, and that the staff took his commitment indicates they think he has a chance to. But, if what is likely the biggest pressure situation of his young life includes a side of B&E, assuming he'll reach that potential where the pressure is ratcheted up a notch, is pretty bat shit. 

Correct me if I am wrong and I haven’t followed what’s been posted about it, but isn’t this a situation in which two black guys got caught with a white girl by her dad, so he called the cops and they got charged and arrested on bullshit? Eventually someone realized this isn’t Mississippi in 1920 and it all then went away. If that’s wrong, tell me. If that’s right, I don’t see a character issue besides making the decision to be involved with a devil’s threesome. 

I’ll grant that chasing pussy is a character issue. I’ve suffered from it my whole life and if I die old, I hope it’s by getting knocked the fuck out in my wheelchair by some young chick’s boyfriend that I’ve pissed off after hugging her too long, GHWBush-style. I can’t hold anyone else accountable for this affliction without being a hypocrite. I feel bad for those who aren’t also suffering. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Correct me if I am wrong and I haven’t followed what’s been posted about it, but isn’t this a situation in which two black guys got caught with a white girl by her dad, so he called the cops and they got charged and arrested on bullshit? Eventually someone realized this isn’t Mississippi in 1920 and it all then went away. If that’s wrong, tell me. If that’s right, I don’t see a character issue besides making the decision to be involved with a devil’s threesome. 

If this is true, then erase everything I've said. I've followed it enough to know that the charge was B&E with intent to burglarize dropped to criminal trespassing. If he was just trying to smash, yeah nvm. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll grant that chasing pussy is a character issue. I’ve suffered from it my whole life and if I die old, I hope it’s by getting knocked the fuck out in my wheelchair by some young chick’s boyfriend that I’ve pissed off after hugging her too long, GHWBush-style. I can’t hold anyone else accountable for this affliction without being a hypocrite. I feel bad for those who aren’t also suffering. 

First time the actual circumstances have come up on this board. The 9.95ers have used the euphemism "a prank gone wrong".

Edited by texifornia

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dibs on the wheelchair.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Correct me if I am wrong and I haven’t followed what’s been posted about it, but isn’t this a situation in which two black guys got caught with a white girl by her dad, so he called the cops and they got charged and arrested on bullshit? Eventually someone realized this isn’t Mississippi in 1920 and it all then went away. If that’s wrong, tell me. If that’s right, I don’t see a character issue besides making the decision to be involved with a devil’s threesome

If spitroasting is wrong, I dont wanna be right.

They could have also been running a mini train.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I thought ND cut him loose because of the legal issues. My recollection is very fuzzy though.

they cut him loose because the rumor was they found out about the arrest when it hit social media - but he was never solid to ND, seemed to be close to flipping to OU for months, then Texas soon after.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’ll grant that chasing pussy is a character issue. I’ve suffered from it my whole life and if I die old, I hope it’s by getting knocked the fuck out in my wheelchair by some young chick’s boyfriend that I’ve pissed off after hugging her too long, GHWBush-style.

Im Out Wheel Chair GIF - ImOut WheelChair Jump GIFs

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

LMAO was the girls name Jan and did the dad hit abiara with a 2x4 and drive a Chevrolet?

• Haha 1

I agree with the spirit of what youre saying, but bigtime CFB is a business..and a big one. There is always the chance a couple recruits dont pan out and provide zero return on investment, but if there is a player with potential character concerns and one with similar projected skills that doesnt, which do you take?

• 2 weeks later...