Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Besides Ja'Tavion, who from the 2021 guys showing up in June might have a decent shot for playing time this season ??

Lee and Cain will both get a chance, as will Brooks. If we're not reading about Harris and Cooks rising up the depth chart now, I think it's unlikely any fall enrollee defenders have an impact this year. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lee and Cain will both get a chance, as will Brooks. If we're not reading about Harris and Cooks rising up the depth chart now, I think it's unlikely any fall enrollee defenders have an impact this year. 

thinking a few will get serious PT on Special Teams

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IDK about Brooks tbh. But that ultimately depends on how he adjust to competition shift.

Roach on Worthy and Gaoteote

Spoiler

—As we first reported yesterday, Texas might be in the market for an addition to the 2021 class in Xavier Worthy. The former Fresno (Calif.) Central East wide receiver signed with Michigan but flirted with asking for an LOI release after signing day. Throughout his recruitment, Worthy flirted with the idea of flipping to Alabama because of Steve Sarkisian’s offense.  I've been told that Worthy does indeed have interest in Texas, and frankly, I'd expect him to make a move quickly.  I'm not sure what other schools are involved at this time, but Texas is in a great spot.

—Texas is still active in the NCAA Transfer Portal and it sounds like things are heating up with a potential target in Palaie Gaoteote. The former five-star prospect who signed with USC was ranked No. 15 overall in the 2017 class by the 247Sports Composite. Gaoteote left USC after injuries stripped away his last two seasons. Despite a strong freshman start that included 38 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and 2 sacks, Gaoteote couldn’t stay on the field after that. By my math, Gaoteote could take a redshirt year for last season and still have a COVID year giving him 3 years of eligibility left. The connections of Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski help here as both know him well from their time recruiting the area. Michigan State will also be a factor as they recently signed his brother, but it sounds like the family would be supportive of Texas as the landing spot as well. We will continue to look into this one.

• Hook 'Em 2