Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

IT on Chavarria:

On Luis Chavarria, the youngster of the bunch. The 2021 prospect stands 6-foot-4, 290-pound, and looks like guy that moonlights as a luchador. Being from Bellaire Episcopal, it'd be nice if Texas could snag one from the school that produces the state's highest number of 5-stars, per capita.

He loved the trip, and looks forward to building a relationship with Coach Hand. He currently holds one offer; Vanderbilt. So we know he'd qualify. Stash this name. He joins the ranks of Ruben Fatherlee and Hayden Conner of o-line monsters dwelling in the 2021 class in Texas.

Just now, Machinator said:

IT on Chavarria:

Hide contents

On Luis Chavarria, the youngster of the bunch. The 2021 prospect stands 6-foot-4, 290-pound, and looks like guy that moonlights as a luchador. Being from Bellaire Episcopal, it'd be nice if Texas could snag one from the school that produces the state's highest number of 5-stars, per capita.

He loved the trip, and looks forward to building a relationship with Coach Hand. He currently holds one offer; Vanderbilt. So we know he'd qualify. Stash this name. He joins the ranks of Ruben Fatherlee and Hayden Conner of o-line monsters dwelling in the 2021 class in Texas.

18936306.gif

• 3 weeks later...

IT on Landon Jackson:

Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove - DE (2021): Jackson had a freshman year to remember. He moved from Gilmer to PG at the beginning of 9th grade and helped Pleasant Grove to its 3A DII state championship in December. At 6-foot-5, 223 pounds, he's got the ideal frame, shoulders, and athleticism to dominate at the D1 level. His father, who is 6-foot-8, played college basketball at Texas A&M and professionally overseas for five years, while his mother stands 6-foot. A lot of recruitniks have him destined for College Station, but he says that's not the case.

"I like A&M, but I really like Arkansas and Miami," said Jackson, who visited UT last spring. "Texas is up there too. I talk to those guys when I can and am very interested in what they are building."

I can see a Texas offer in his future but there's no rush. He still hasn't played a sophomore snap.

TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-weekend-june-8th-10th/

– Earlier this week, 2021 defensive end prospect Landyn Watson made his way to Austin for an unofficial visit

Watson is a 6’2″ 225 lb rising Sophomore (yes I said Sophomore) out of Hutto, Texas, who already holds offers from Baylor, Houston and UTSA.

I was able to briefly catch up with Landyn and he let me know that this was his first trip to campus, and he came away with some very impressive reviews.

The first thing we discussed was what stood out to him the most while he was on his visit. Landyn said “One thing that stood out to me is how the coaches are involved their players, both during, and after their years in college.” To me, that indicates he is well aware of life after college and how a program supports and embraces their players following their careers.

While he does not hold a UT offer yet, he understands how early it is in his recruitment. Watson told me, “I’m not sure Texas will offer me this early in my recruitment process, but I know I am someone they are very interested in”. He continued by saying “I was able to speak with Coach Herman for a little bit. He liked my size and knows I will get bigger and stronger”. He went on to say “I also got to sit down with Coach Giles and watch some film. He told me he could truly see me playing at The University of Texas in many different positions, including defensive end and outside linebacker”.

Watson also picked up something that many recruits would otherwise think nothing of. Watson said “Coach Herman really caught my eye though. He was working out with another coach and Coach Jim Jones told me that Coach Herman works out everyday, just like the players do, to show them that he will put in the hard work as well”.

Landyn has some additional planned visits for the remainder of the summer. He plans on visiting TCU this weekend along with camping at Oklahoma State on June 10th. Watson also mentioned the possibility of stopping in Norman to check in with the Sooners.

In speaking with Watson, I came away feeling as I had just spoken with someone much further along in the recruiting process. He had well thought out responses and was very easy to converse with. I note this because in my opinion, he is an example of a recruit who has a very good understanding of what he is looking for down the line and will not be swayed by gimmicks and flash, and that is an incredible gift to have at such a young age. – (Charlie)

On 4/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, Harvdog said:

I posepted this video on the other site.  I have known this kid since he was in 1st grade. He dream school is Texas and he p,has a position of need

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3356270/Tunmise-Adeleye

he received his first D1 offer this weekend from aggy.  I hope we look at this kid because he’s going to be a beast

Tweeted out he's on campus.

17 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tweeted out he's on campus.

He picked up 2 more offers this week.... Baylor and U of H.  Texas is his dream school.  His videos from twitter at the camp looked good. Would love to see him in burnt orange. 

On 4/22/2018 at 7:10 PM, Machinator said:

This kid was the backup freshman QB at LT last year. He transferred to Westwood and is now their starting QB on Varsity.

The starter freshman QB at LT who will be the LT JV starting QB this year was just offered by University of Houston.

FTR, I'm not sure RJ is a college QB and I wish the LT JV QB all the best at Houston or some place like that. 

On 4/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, Harvdog said:

I posepted this video on the other site.  I have known this kid since he was in 1st grade. He dream school is Texas and he p,has a position of need

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3356270/Tunmise-Adeleye

he received his first D1 offer this weekend from aggy.  I hope we look at this kid because he’s going to be a beast

He visited today per his twitter.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

He’s going to be a beast.  We need to make an offer. I bet he grows to 6’6 and 285 by his senior year.  He has offers from aggy, U of H and Baylor.  Texas is his dream school.  I hope the coaches make a move because he will be a high 4* player 

• 3 weeks later...

IT on Landyn Watson:

Spoiler

LANDYN WATSON

The 6-foot-2, 230-pound weakside DE from the Class of 2020 is a terror on the field. I recently caught up with the Hutto Hippo for his thoughts on the recruiting process and Texas.

"I’m enjoying it all very well, it’s great being able to start looking at what I want in the future early," said Watson. "But with the offers I’m receiving, I'm blessed to be able to get them this early. At the same time, I'll never change my main focus on getting better and putting in work."

The kid approaches recruiting in a very mature manner at this point. With five offers - Oklahoma State, TCU, UH, UTSA, and Baylor - he's been traveling quite a bit this summer, including stops in Austin and College Station. 

"With Texas, some of the few things I really like is the culture around campus, the brotherhood on the team, and the coaches," Watson said. He's building a relationship with DL coach Oscar Giles and will return to Austin in late July (27th) for another UOV. At this point, there are a few things he's looking for in his future home. 

"It’s actually a couple of things I really push hard for," said Watson. "First, I look at which school has the best field of study I want to major in and can help build a career for me, second, I look at the position I’m going to be playing and if I can be productive in that position, and lastly, I look at which school has been putting the most guys in the NFL."

He's taking a mature approach heading into his junior season at Hutto. His tape shows a live motor, great feet shedding blocks and getting down the line of scrimmage. I want to see how big he gets before we can say where his college spot will be. He's one on our, and UT's, radar.

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Jesus do angels sing and cities crumble when this guy throws the ball or what? He's got every offer imaginable already - and he's our only '21 QB offer.

I'm not the type to watch a bunch of hudls. But I watched his because I didn't get the hype around a 2021 QB. I get it now. It blows my mind to think about a 14 year old making the throws he does. Second play he throws an accurate 45 yard strike to his right as he's falling to his left. That's some Aaron Rodgers shit. I don't really care about Stone that much, it's just crazy to think about a kid that much younger than me making those plays as a freshman. 

TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-13th-july-15th/

– A 2021 recruit to keep an eye on is Hutto (TX) DE Landyn Watson. He has already picked up 5 offers from TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Houston, and UTSA following his freshman season. He took a visit to Texas in early June and will be back for Texas’ “Stars at Night” camp on July 27th.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Watson pick up an offer if he has a nice camp performance. He told me that he and DL coach Oscar Giles have been talking a lot more recently and that he really wants to see him in person at camp. Watson is a guy that could end up being one of the top 2021 defensive lineman in the state. And with him being from the Austin area, I think it would be smart to see Texas get in with him early on. – (Andrew)

IT

The Texas staff has been prepping the guest list for its second event in as many months. A couple teaser names include a trio from Zona - Jake Smith (Scottsdale, AZ - Notre Dame Prep) returning to Austin for the first time since his commitment, Noa Pola Gates (Gilbert, AZ - Williams Field HS) who will make his first trip to Texas and has the Horns in his top group of schools, Kelee Ringo (Scottsdale, AZ - Saguaro HS) who might be the nation's best cornerback in 2020 and who plays for the same program Tim Beck once led. Add 2021 defensive end Landyn Watson (Hutto, staff prioritized him at camp) who is a name to remember that we discussed in the Scoop, 2020 cornerback Lorando Johnson (Lancaster) and perhaps most importantly, wide receiver Marcus Washington (St. Louis, MO - Trinity Catholic HS) who we watched last week at The Opening.

We'll have a much more comprehensive list over the next couple weeks. Expect many more names to materialize.

Under Armour/PRIME 21 is holding its camp on Saturday at Trinity Christian in Cedar Hill. It's mainly an opportunity to see the best 2020-2021 prospects in the region, but also guys from Florida, California, and Louisiana. Here’s who I’ll be looking at this weekend.

DB Brian Blades Jr (St Thomas Aquinas) 2021: If his last name is Blades and he's from Dade County, he's going to 2 Live U. It's like a state law.

LB Kendrick Blackshire (Horn) 2021: This kid is a real lineback, with real instincts and ability to thrive in a spread-happy CFB landscape. Tackling machine is a straight up dog who will turn your lights out. He's an offer.

WR Majik Rector (Lancaster) 2021: Lorando Calrissian isn't the only dog in Lancaster. Rector has serious jets attached to his hips, with tap-dancer feet.

Edited by Machinator

On 7/11/2018 at 2:50 AM, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm not the type to watch a bunch of hudls. But I watched his because I didn't get the hype around a 2021 QB. I get it now. It blows my mind to think about a 14 year old making the throws he does. Second play he throws an accurate 45 yard strike to his right as he's falling to his left. That's some Aaron Rodgers shit. I don't really care about Stone that much, it's just crazy to think about a kid that much younger than me making those plays as a freshman. 

That was actually one of his least impressive throws in that video imo. Just chucked it up towards the middle of the field, receiver made a diving catch. He had a bunch of more impressively accurate back shoulder throws and quick strikes in those highlights. Who knows how good he'll be or not be in a few years, but right now he looks like he'll be a legit star come college time. 

IT note on Blackshire:

Looking into 2021, Mesquite Horn has a linebacker, who might be a defensive tackle, or might be a Mike, but more likely a d-lineman, probably.

At 6-foot-2, 250, and 15 years old, Kendall Blackshire's projection isn’t that important right now. What is important is that Texas gets in on him. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OU, and Texas A&M have already thrown their hats in the ring. But he sees something growing in Austin.

“I'm very interested in Texas ,” said Blackshire. "Just the school, the staff, I want to know more about them."

On 7/10/2018 at 7:41 PM, texifornia said:

Jesus do angels sing and cities crumble when this guy throws the ball or what? He's got every offer imaginable already - and he's our only '21 QB offer.

Kid can definitely play, but man his throwing mechanics could use some serious work...

IT on Landon Jackson:
  Landon Jackson, Pleasant Grove - DE (2021): Jackson had a freshman year to remember. He moved from Gilmer to PG at the beginning of 9th grade and helped Pleasant Grove to its 3A DII state championship in December. At 6-foot-5, 223 pounds, he's got the ideal frame, shoulders, and athleticism to dominate at the D1 level. His father, who is 6-foot-8, played college basketball at Texas A&M and professionally overseas for five years, while his mother stands 6-foot. A lot of recruitniks have him destined for College Station, but he says that's not the case.
"I like A&M, but I really like Arkansas and Miami," said Jackson, who visited UT last spring. "Texas is up there too. I talk to those guys when I can and am very interested in what they are building."
I can see a Texas offer in his future but there's no rush. He still hasn't played a sophomore snap.

My kids go to PG, so I go to the games. and Landon isn't 225. If he is 195 I'd be surprised.

It will be interesting this season with that bad ass d line leaving and what he does.

Inside Texas: The 2020 and 2021 Cycles are Stacked on the OL

The most important position to the long-term health of your program is the offensive line, so when your primary recruiting grounds are loaded at the position it's time to feast.

The state of Texas has had its ebbs and flows along the o-line with a mix of below average, average, and above average classes in the recent half-dozen years.

2019 is a good class with at least five players among the state's top 25 players.

2020 may not have the look of being as good as its predecessor, but it's certainly deeper and I expect many prospects to make a leap in play this upcoming season. Remember, offensive linemen are on a different developmental curve from other positions.

2021 has the look of being an all-time great class in the state of Texas. It's early, but a number of quality players have surfaced, with at least two of them looking like future five-stars.

Let's take a look at some of the offensive linemen in the classes ahead.

This class has some of everything. Left tackles, right tackles, swing tackles, guards, centers, projects, can all be found in the class ahead.

Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek, 6-6, 305: Reminds of former Longhorn Mason Walters in high school. A huge, upside guard but athletic enough and with legitimate length for right tackle. Terrific drive blocker and asset in the run game. Lindberg is very intelligent and education will be a major factor. He's a top 100 type in my book.

Recruiting: Lindberg is wide open. His brother will attend Texas beginning this year. That helps Texas a bit, but it's certainly not a deciding factor. He's visited UT a number of times but if he goes anywhere this weekend it will be either OU or Arkansas. With Texas losing out on Walker Little and Branson Bragg to Stanford recently, losing Lindberg would be another blow, but like I said, this one has a long way to go.

Jake Majors, Prosper, 6-4, 280: Last week I mentioned North Shore's Damieon George as the 2020 version of Javonne Shepherd. Majors would be in the mold of Branson Bragg as a player who moves well enough that he could play tackle but he may be destined for guard. Bragg has a nasty streak and I think we'll see that with Majors as he gets stronger. Majors may actually move a little better. Also like Bragg, Majors is under-rated in the early going as a three-star. I have him as an obvious offer. Potential center too.

Recruiting: Majors was supposed to attend Texas camp in June but couldn't because of an illness in the family. Upcoming visits are slated for [trigger warning] Stanford on the 27th and Washington around the 30th.

Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves, 6-4, 285: He's on a good trend-line and will emerge from teammate Roschon Johnson's shadow this season. The right tackle is raw and gets off balance some, but he moves well and has a lot of untapped potential. He's made tremendous strides on the field and in the weight room the last year. His best football is well ahead of him.

Recruiting: His rating of .8678 speaks to his tape, his impressive offer list speaks to his upside. Sometimes I wonder what the hell is actually being rated. With Roschon as the quiet leader of the 2019 class it's hard to see Garth ending up anywhere but Texas, however I wouldn't be surprised to see him take some visits and enjoy the process some. He holds offers from Alabama, Ohio State, A&M, Arkansas and others.

Logan Parr, O'Connor, 6-3.5, 270: Hopefully he grows a bit more because he's a tackle athlete, but if not he could be an exceptional guard or center. He moves well as evidenced when climbing to the second level. I'm not sure how many interior players Texas will want in 2020 but Parr is known to be tough and smart, so if center isn't clearly filled in 2019 Parr should definitely factor in.

Recruiting: He has camped at Texas and was invited to the camp this Friday, which is pretty telling. He won't be able to make it because he'll be on vacation. Other schools he's hearing from the most are Oklahoma, TCU, Arizona, Duke, and Texas Tech. Parr started liking Texas during the Colt McCoy years.

Courtland Ford, Cedar Hill, 6-6, 305: Big kid who can get low and uproot in the run game, but I'd like to see him move his feet a little quicker. Not a whole lot of tape on him and I understand he was dinged up in the spring. I hear he's a good, hard-working kid, though still a bit dependent on his size advantage. I should say when talking about young linemen a lot of caveats apply.

Recruiting: Ford picked up Georgia and Alabama over the spring but you know how that goes. He has the tools to emerge as an offer and press guy for Texas but the tape doesn't quite justify that yet.

Damieon George, North Shore, 6-6, 320: The comparison to Javonne Shepherd tells you he's giant, mobile, and with tons of potential, though the tape isn't quite there yet. North Shore has a great football culture so I'm expecting some impressive tape this season as George continues to develop. He's probably a right tackle in college but it's too soon to know for sure.

Recruiting: He holds tons of big offers and has visited Texas. I expect the Longhorns to add their name to the list of suitors relatively soon.

Andrej Karic, Southlake Carroll, 6-5, 240: I think his weight is outdated. In pictures I've seen he looks bigger and with the frame to carry 300. This doesn't appear to be a Connor Galvin situation where you wonder what he's going to weigh in three years. If his frame is as good as I think that's a big development because he could be a take as a left tackle. I'd prefer to grow left tackles rather than shrink giants anyway. I caught up with a college source on Karic: "Baller. Like him a lot. Very athletic and tough. Like the way he bends and moves." Karic is perhaps the cleanest left tackle projection in the class.

Recruiting: Holds offers from Nebraska, Oregon, Baylor and has visited Arkansas. Coach Hand has been by SLC to see him. Karic is going to see his stock rise considerably.

Cedric Melton, Klein Cain, 6-5, 237: Ran into Cedric at the VYPE magazine photo shoot where he was easily one of the most impressive looking players in attendance. A little slight of frame for offensive tackle, but could also be a defensive end. On Tuesday I asked him about his weight and he responded, "I'm 237 now at 6-5, but after I hit Salt Lick Friday for lunch I might be around 240." Ha ha, that was an unexpected reply. Melton will visit Texas for camp on Friday.

Recruiting: He's being recruited on both sides of the ball. Along with Texas, he's hearing from Baylor, Houston, SMU and Texas State. He'll visit Baylor on Sunday. With his length and frame he'll be an interesting player to watch over the next couple years.

Trent Pullen, Waco Connally, 6-2.5, 275: At this point he's guard specific but plays tackle for his high school team. Gets off the ball well and is light on his feet.

Recruiting: He camped at Texas on June 10th. He's also been to A&M, TCU, U of H, and will visit K-State on Friday and probably Oklahoma State on Saturday. He hears from LSU and A&M quite a bit.

Kendal Septs, Fort Bend Austin, 6-3, 325: Mammoth guard who moves well and keeps a strong base. Could maybe become a nose tackle in a two-gapping scheme.

Recruiting: A&M was his first offer and since then things have cooled off some. He has picked up Missouri and Boston College. UT did go by to see him in the spring.

Aggie Commits: 

A&M has four commits in the 2020 class and all of them are offensive linemen. Two of them, Akinola Ogbuniyi and Smart Chibuzo hold offers from UT and profile to being athletic guards in my view, though that isn't set in stone.

My favorite prospect of the four, Josh Bankhead, has very limited tape, but the kid is built like a young Tony Mandarich and moves well. He could emerge as an elite player over the course of his junior year and could very well be a right tackle in college. My early suspicion is A&M has a steal on its hands.

The Aggies also hold a commitment from Jordan Jefferson, who hails from Navasota, a short cow-pie toss from College Station.

The Jake McMillon plan:

Or the Joey Hunt plan if you cover TCU. I'm always looking for possible position switches. Schools should look at Tomball Memorial's Braedon Nutter as a potential offensive guard rather than solely as a defensive tackle.

It's absurd that I'm about to write this next section but these guys are already becoming well known so I can't just ignore them. These prospects are only about to begin their sophomore year.

Reuben Fatheree II, Richmond Foster, 6-7, 285: I won't soon forget meeting "Deuce" and his family over a year ago at a football camp. I could not believe the giant, flat-bellied young man before me had yet to reach high school. I wondered if Jonathan Ogden even looked like this at the same age. Fatheree is also a two-sport star, playing for his father in basketball as well. He'll hold any offer he wants and already holds most of them. Texas has even gone against its norms and offered.

Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor, 6-6, 300: Conner's father and I share a friend in common so I've been hearing about the young man for years. It wasn't until a 7 on 7 this spring where I finally saw him. Of course as big as he is he was unmistakable running routes. What was a bit of a surprise was how well he could move. Conner is an athlete who just happens to be prototypical lineman size. He comes from a football family and has always played with kids older than he is and is friends with many in the 2018 class. Perhaps the most interesting thing...on a line that featured then junior Andrew Coker, it was Hayden who played left tackle.

Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor, 6-5, 290: Taylor's line has TCU pledge Coker, the aforementioned Conner, and Bryce Foster who would be playing tackle at pretty much any other high school. Foster is already being heavily recruited with offers from Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Miami, A&M, TCU and many others. He plays with strength that belies his age.

Erick Cade, Denton Braswell, 6-7, 290: Cade isn't mentioned as often as some others but Texas is extremely high on him. He says the staff has told him they're just waiting on his sophomore year before offering. He's camped at Texas and likes the school as well as Herb Hand. He holds offers from LSU, A&M, Arkansas and others. Expect Cade to become a priority for the UT staff. As a player he profiles in the Kennedy Estelle mold.

Donovan Jackson, Episcopal, 6-4, 285: Of all the studs listed in this class, Jackson has the most bounce in his step and pop in his hips. I'm not sure if he's quite 6-4 but he's certainly going to be a tackle level athlete. He already holds a ridiculous offer list. If he has sure-fire tackle length he's another who will be in the nation's top 50 along with Fatheree, Conner, and maybe Cade.

Luis Chavarria, Episcopal, 6-4, 285: Jackson's teammate already holds offers from Syracuse and Vanderbilt. He visited UT in the spring. Too early to tell if he's a guard or tackle in college.

Then there's Tommy Brockermeyer: 

Son to Blake, brother to Luke. Tommy is currently 6-5, 240, and I'm not sure if he's going to follow in his father's footsteps on offense or his brother's on defense. Currently I think he's going to be a strongside defensive end but who knows. He could be a sensational left tackle if he grows enough. I'd post highlights but his freshman year is set to private. Hey, Blake, what gives? Tommy has the look of a take regardless of what side of the ball he projects.

What's astonishing is, we have no idea how many offensive linemen are out there who have yet to emerge. If Herb Hand is an even average recruiter the future should be bright for Texas up front.

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

My kids go to PG, so I go to the games. and Landon isn't 225. If he is 195 I'd be surprised.

It will be interesting this season with that bad ass d line leaving and what he does.

Thanks for sharing, an old college teammate had a kid on last years team. What a run, congratulations!

Lets get him here and let Yancy do work.

• Like 1

IT 2021 visitors list

STARS AT NIGHT

The Stars at Night recruiting event returns tonight and almost half of the Class of 2019 will be in attendance.

There will be some top 2020 offers/targets too. And the 2021 prospects are legit.

Tonight should be fun. Joe and Eric will be there to speak with recruits after the event. Media will not be allowed to attend.

WR Shadrach Banks, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX): The electric ATH from North Shore is an offer. Just a matter of when Texas makes it official.

WR Blaine Green, Allen (Allen, TX): Brother is Seth Green who moved to Allen after Kyler Murray departed and signed with Minnesota.

WR Bryson Green, Allen (Allen, TX): Could be the best twin duo since Rod and Rex from Rad.

WR Deamikkio Nathan, South Grand Prairie (Grand Prairie, TX): Holds an offer from BYU which means he's one of Margin Hooks' young talented guys (Hooks once starred at BYU).

OL Hayden Conner, Taylor (Katy, TX): The guy that Andrew Coker couldn't unseat last season is one of the best linemen in the state regardless of class. Texas A&M and Wisconsin are high on his list, so thank God he's only a sophomore.

OL Donovan Jackson, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX): Another of the multi-talented o-linemen from 2021's class. Incredible upside for a kid with good size and athleticism. Conner and Jackson are no-brainer offers.

DE Landyn Watson, Hutto (Hutto, TX): A future four-star with interesting grow potential. He could be on the TQ Graham curve.

ATH Lyrik Rawls, Jefferson (Jefferson, TX): At 6-foot-1, 170, the ETX safety can do a little of everything. His coach said he might be the best player he'll ever coach. Also an excellent basketball player. I love that Texas is in on him early. Ladder action.

CB Latrell McCutchin, LBJ (Austin, TX): This freshman is one to watch.