Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is fun. Click through for the thread

Off the top of my head I come up with 4 guys in semi-recent history from A&M who matter: Von Miller, JFF, Mike Evans and Myles Garrett. I'm pretty sure 3/4 were 3*s, so that's an odd thing for an aggy to get hung up on

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

So another Figurelli account?

i can't say for sure but rude dawg was the first follower on that account and as far as i can tell the username "mike_allerga" is not a username used anywhere else on the internet so you decide for yourself.

https://en.whotwi.com/mike_allegra/followers

in reverse order because that is how whotwi sorts things:

e2WtcCv3

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i can't say for sure but rude dawg was the first follower on that account and as far as i can tell the username "mike_allerga" is not a username used anywhere else on the internet so you decide for yourself.

https://en.whotwi.com/mike_allegra/followers

in reverse order because that is how whotwi sorts things:

e2WtcCv3

Holy shit, he’s a father?  That’s a travesty. 

ETA: I read it wrong, that all of those were snaggletooth socks.  But I stand by my statement. Fuck that racist pos. 

Edited by fattyflattie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Eric Nahlin: Checking in on the 2021 class

Much has been written about the roster blood transfusion about to take place in the 2022 cycle, but if Sark wants to win soon, he’ll need the 2021 class he almost entirely inherited to continue to develop and start to contribute next season. We know all about wide receiver Xavier Worthy and defensive tackle Byron Murphy. Both will become bedrocks of their respective side of the ball. They aren’t just talented, but they have leadership qualities as well. Key will be to get Worthy help at receiver to relieve some pressure. Keondre Coburn electing to leave Texas guarantees increased snaps for Murphy, though he was going to earn them anyway.

While Texas has two players it can bank on in the class, it has suffered two losses already in wide receiver Keithron Lee and linebacker Terrence Cooks. Here is what our sources are saying about the 2021 guys who are unproven at this early juncture in their career. [These aren’t direct quotes, but source sentiment is unchanged] One final note. The source mentioned, “a lot of the young guys are smart players and quick studies.” That should stimulate competition this spring and help expedite a turnaround.

CB Jamier Johnson: Potential to be pretty good. Needs to gain weight and strength this offseason. Has pretty good technique. Good use of eyes. Quick study. He should be able to stick at corner. Does have the ability to play safety if he can get big enough.

TE Ja’Tavion Sanders: Has to work on blocking. Gets caught holding quite a bit. Can be a pretty good run blocker if he wants to be. He’s too big and talented to just be a receiving threat. He needs to embrace the whole position. Talent as a receiver is obvious.

DB JD Coffey: Reminds a lot of Jerrin Thompson. Smart like him. He just needs to continue to learn the overall defense and get more reps. A little bit bigger than Jerrin already. He can be a good one. [It was when talking about Coffey when the source mentioned a lot of the younger players possessing football intelligence]

CB Ishmael Ibraheem: Showed ability before he got hurt but he needs to rebound from surgery. He’s still rehabbing. Not sure what his spring will look like. He takes football serious.

OLB DJ Harris Jr.: Pretty good play-strength. Needs to get better with footwork. Drops well enough in coverage. Still developing pass rushing skill. Has a chance to play a lot next year. He’s mature.

DL Jordon Thomas: He’s still supposed to return for the spring. [Thomas missed the fall semester. He would be a much-needed body at EDGE]

LB Morice Blackwell: He’s going to be good. Plays hard. Has a great attitude. Athletic. Knows what he’s doing for a freshman. Needs to get bigger. About 215 right now.

WR Jaden Alexis: Talent was evident before he got hurt. Showed good speed and ability to make difficult catches. Not sure on timetable for him to return full-go.

OL Hayden Conner: Going to be good. Good strength for a freshman. Just needs to continue to work on his footwork. He could be a starting tackle but definitely guard if not. Starting guard next year is the best bet.

EDGE David Abiara: Buy-in has improved. Has gotten stronger. He’s showing more pop off the LOS. Around midseason he started to look like a guy who can play long-term.

TE Juan Davis: Definitely on the receiver end of the tight end spectrum. Needs to continue to add weight and maintain it. Has room to grow. He plays with urgency.

TE Gunnar Helm: Good attention to detail. Comes off the ball with physical intent. He’s gotten stronger this season. He’ll play a lot next year.

EDGE Barryn Sorrell: He’s going to be good. Not sure why he didn’t play more. He’s pretty athletic. He’s smart. Attentive. Big spring for him. He’ll play a lot next year and has a chance to start if they want to move Collins back inside.

WR Casey Cain: Been hurt. Hamstring.

QB Charles Wright: Pretty solid. Can be a dual threat in college. He can pass and throw. Surprising athlete and can make plays with his arm while on the move. He could be an option eventually.

OL Max Merrill: Has some ability. Somewhat strong but needs to get bigger. Still a work in progress with feet. He has it in him to be nasty. Playing guard. He needs more time but he has a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Checking in on the 2021 class

OL Max Merrill: Has some ability. Somewhat strong but needs to get bigger. Still a work in progress with feet. He has it in him to be nasty. Playing guard. He needs more time but he has a chance.

now THIS is the most 9.95er thing i have read about a recruit in a long time.

"he isn't shitty. he needs to get bigger and stronger. his feet are sub par. he can be nasty sometimes but not sometimes. he is playing interior OL. he may be good down the road"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can't say this class is bad. I don't think Wright, Cain, or Merril will contribute much, but everyone else in the class is likely to get playing time in the next 2 seasons. Alexis is a WC with the injury. It really hurt him as he likely would have been on the 2 deep this year, especially after Moore left.

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Our team sucks this year and only two guys - Worthy and Murphy - are even regulars in the rotation.  That write up - which basically says “they all look like hits except Cain” - is ridiculous.   if I had to bet, I would assume most of these dudes will be getting passed up by the new staff’s recruits.  That’s what usually happens.   And again, we’re 4-7, these guys get 4 free games to preserve the redshirt, and they’re still not playing at all.

I liked how Sorrell played early in the season.. especially as being a true freshman.  Not sure what's happening with him not getting much PT, but he was one of the bright spots imo

Here’s how it actually currently looks for this class:

Studs: Worthy

Decent players: Murphy, Conner

TBD (reasons for optimism): Sanders

TBD: Johnson, Coffey, Sorrell, Davis, Helm

TBD (reasons for pessimism): Ibraheem, Harris, Thomas, Abiara, Blackwell, Cain, Alexis, Wright, Merril

We’ll be lucky to get 4 multi year starters from this class.  Over/under on NFL draftees would probably be 2.5.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

TBD (reasons for pessimism): Ibraheem, Harris, Thomas, Abiara, Blackwell, Cain, Alexis, Wright, Merril

We’ll be lucky to get 4 multi year starters from this class.  Over/under on NFL draftees would probably be 2.5.

I think Brooks should be in the decent players.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Seems way too early to be pessimistic on any of the linemen other than Merrill, who was always going to be a longshot. Very few are going to come in with the physical development needed to play in their first year. Really too early to call anyone a bust after one year, especially based on the same insider evaluations that told us what a formidable unit our defensive line would be this year. 

23 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Murphy is above anyone not named Worthy and it isnt even close. I think Helm will be an upgrade next year, mostly because he probably the first TE I can remember that actually blocked in HS (Aucoin was the last). 

I don’t think there’s any pessimism for Wright. He was recruited to be a warm body in the QB room. If he’s so much as on the roster for four years, mission accomplished
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

“Plays hard, athletic, knows what he’s doing” would make Blackwell the best LB on the team by a pretty wide margin.

I'm actually a little intrigued by a Blackwell and Ford as the starters at LB next year. If there is a change at DC, I hope the guy that comes in can put those 2 and Overshown on the field at the same time. Playing in a 4-2-5, Overshown should be a box safety in that personnel grouping.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm actually a little intrigued by a Blackwell and Ford as the starters at LB next year. If there is a change at DC, I hope the guy that comes in can put those 2 and Overshown on the field at the same time. Playing in a 4-2-5, Overshown should be a box safety in that personnel grouping.

Hmmmmm you definitely described a Gary Patterson defense with some GP linebackers…Pondering Oh No GIF by New York Red Bulls

• 2 years later...

Bruh Man is a sock for known racist aggie piece of shit Daniel Joseph Figurelli.

Bruh Man is a sock for known racist aggie piece of shit Daniel Joseph Figurelli.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...