Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Probably going to be battling LSU more than aggy for a lot of these Texas kids.

Credit to LSU for hiring an outstanding staff on both sides of the ball in recent years.  I'm sure they'll break the bank in an effort to keep Aranda and Joe Brady, but I have to believe they'll be hot items this offseason.  Shit, I'd love to see those two on our coaching staff.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Can't find him on google. Until proven wrong I trust our scouting, they've been nails at identifying early.

Apparently he's a RB and safety. Looks like he's an unknown so far from the cruiting sites but was able to track down his hudl.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8423068/Jonathon-Brooks

On 11/9/2019 at 7:03 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

Good thing we are going to kill them next season in baton rouge 

You’re joking but quite possible. Reminds me of when we won in Columbus on way to title in ‘05, then next year with new team they handled us at home. 

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Keeping Meh over Samples is going to cost us Davis, Wheaton, and who knows who else.  Byrd?  

I’m not saying it’ll happen, but we could easily get Samples on staff this offseason and land all those guys.

Would it be too much to ask for Herman’s incestual hiring practices actually benefit us for once?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

think he decommits but isn't off the table.  Beatty comes in, he should car sales him back in the class along with the other big targets.  I get why everyone wants Samples, but Herman has bigger fish to fry on his staff. circle back to Samples in 2021/2022

If we go to 1 WR coach, agreed. If TH keeps 2, Samples should be the other. Ideally though, we move that second coach to linebackers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

think he decommits but isn't off the table.  Beatty comes in, he should car sales him back in the class along with the other big targets.  I get why everyone wants Samples, but Herman has bigger fish to fry on his staff. circle back to Samples in 2021/2022

Agree, recruiting has not been our problem. It would be nice to upgrade the coaching staff.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Agree, recruiting has not been our problem. It would be nice to upgrade the coaching staff.

Is there a reason people think Beaty would be a big upgrade from a coaching standpoint over Samples?  Beaty’s literally never had success as a HC or OC and his primary contribution at A&M was as a recruiter. He was god awful as a HC at Kansas. Samples is all but guaranteed to be great recruiter and at a minimum, I think he’d keep the WR room from hating his guts right away, like Mehringer. I don’t think Beaty is guaranteed to be good at any aspect of his job. He’ll probably be a good recruiter, but his only stint as a big time recruiter was at a A&M and he was able to sell the Manziel hype. He doesn’t have a decades-long track record of being a rainmaker, a la Brewster.  He also seems a little too much like Herman in that when shit gets bad, there’s a good chance he’s going to chew out his players and cause even more attrition.  I’m not saying Beaty would be a terrible hire, but I also don’t see any reason why Beaty would be considered a big step above Samples. For his age an experience, Beaty’s still a pretty big question mark.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is there a reason people think Beaty would be a big upgrade from a coaching standpoint over Samples?  Beaty’s literally never had success as a HC or OC and his primary contribution at A&M was as a recruiter. He was god awful as a HC at Kansas. Samples is all but guaranteed to be great recruiter and at a minimum, I think he’d keep the WR room from hating his guts right away, like Mehringer. I don’t think Beaty is guaranteed to be good at any aspect of his job. He’ll probably be a good recruiter, but his only stint as a big time recruiter was at a A&M and he was able to sell the Manziel hype. He doesn’t have a decades-long track record of being a rainmaker, a la Brewster.  He also seems a little too much like Herman in that when shit gets bad, there’s a good chance he’s going to chew out his players and cause even more attrition.  I’m not saying Beaty would be a terrible hire, but I also don’t see any reason why Beaty would be considered a big step above Samples. For his age an experience, Beaty’s still a pretty big question mark.

I wasn’t really responding to the potential Beaty hire. My simple post was more about focusing on coaching than hiring a guy to save a recruit or two. Besides, anything besides Meh is probably an upgrade.