Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is there a reason people think Beaty would be a big upgrade from a coaching standpoint over Samples? 

Because Beatty has OC and HC experience at the P5 level, and Samples is a 1st year position coach at a G5 school? The questions about the quality of Beatty's experience are valid, but it's experience nonetheless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Keeping Meh over Samples is going to cost us Davis, Wheaton, and who knows who else.  Byrd?  

Samples isn't preventing Texas from Wheaton.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not saying it’ll happen, but we could easily get Samples on staff this offseason and land all those guys.

Would it be too much to ask for Herman’s incestual hiring practices actually benefit us for once?

While I think Samples looks like a definite potential upgrade at WR coach, I also would like to see the Head Narcissist In Charge actually scour the landscape and bring back the best possible candidate at any open position. Unfortunately, he's a fucking idiot and will probably just stick with the clowns he has now.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

think he decommits but isn't off the table.  Beatty comes in, he should car sales him back in the class along with the other big targets.  I get why everyone wants Samples, but Herman has bigger fish to fry on his staff. circle back to Samples in 2021/2022

Beatty doesn't fix much. The fact that he's buddies with Herman should make all of us concerned. I've seen nothing from the guy at any stop that indicates he's an elite coaching talent.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If we go to 1 WR coach, agreed. If TH keeps 2, Samples should be the other. Ideally though, we move that second coach to linebackers.

Dipshit is going to have to rebalance his staff this offseason, unless Del Conte is totally dickless. Word is that Del Conte wouldn't dictate the "who" part of the staff, but definitely the "who not" and "where" parts will be part of the discussion. Herman isn't beloved within the AD, among the boosters, or by the administration. It's win or get the fuck out, and that's going to be apparent to him this offseason unless the dumbfuck somehow pulls off a 10-3/11-3 run to finish the season. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

While I think Samples looks like a definite potential upgrade at WR coach, I also would like to see the Head Narcissist In Charge actually scour the landscape and bring back the best possible candidate at any open position. Unfortunately, he's a fucking idiot and will probably just stick with the clowns he has now.

Beatty doesn't fix much. The fact that he's buddies with Herman should make all of us concerned. I've seen nothing from the guy at any stop that indicates he's an elite coaching talent.

Dipshit is going to have to rebalance his staff this offseason, unless Del Conte is totally dickless. Word is that Del Conte wouldn't dictate the "who" part of the staff, but definitely the "who not" and "where" parts will be part of the discussion. Herman isn't beloved within the AD, among the boosters, or by the administration. It's win or get the fuck out, and that's going to be apparent to him this offseason unless the dumbfuck somehow pulls off a 10-3/11-3 run to finish the season. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7842240

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Because Beatty has OC and HC experience at the P5 level, and Samples is a 1st year position coach at a G5 school? The questions about the quality of Beatty's experience are valid, but it's experience nonetheless. 

That’s the whole point though. Tons of experience being shitty at your job shouldn’t lead to people thinking he’s clearly better. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I couldn’t agree more on the national search. I just don’t consider that to be a realistic option at this point. Frankly, I’m shocked we don’t have Ed Warinner as our OL coach right now. 

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Don't forget it's not just Meh. We have two useless WR coaches while our DC has to coach LBs at the same time. Meekins just flies under the radar.

I saw an All Access where Meekins was coaching a WR to put his foot on the defenders neck.  So there is technique being taught.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

That’s the whole point though. Tons of experience being shitty at your job shouldn’t lead to people thinking he’s clearly better. 

I couldn’t agree more on the national search. I just don’t consider that to be a realistic option at this point. Frankly, I’m shocked we don’t have Ed Warinner as our OL coach right now. 

Like I said, Coach Fuckface isn't going to be only guy involved with the process, specifically because of the failures and obvious lack of qualification with the current staff. The AD is hearing non-stop shit from people about how poorly qualified the staff is and, frankly, the rebuttals aren't there and that's a big deal. 

• Like 2

Samples would be a big recruiting upgrade, not only at recruiting WRs but also recruiting top DFW types across the board, but considering he's never even coached a position group, I'm not sure if he'd be a better coach than Mehringer/Meekins/Beatty in regards to technique. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Samples over those guys due to the recruiting and also potentially not having a receivers room that hates his guts, but I'm not sure if he's a better at actually right now coaching sans recruiting than those other guys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It's win or get the fuck out, and that's going to be apparent to him this offseason unless the dumbfuck somehow pulls off a 10-3/11-3 run to finish the season. 

Granted, I'm not in the profession, but as "just a fan" I have to tell you, based on who all is coming back from injury, I will not in the least be surprised if he pulls off 10-3 at this point. 11-3 would be a huge shocker (I don't see this team beating OU right now), which makes me wonder what 10-4 for a second time around would do to the equation.

So, my question then is... assuming more wins are on the table, would the pressure still be there? I'd like to think Herman would realize without any pressure that changes need to be made, but the presence of Mehringer on staff is all the rebuttal that line of thinking needs.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Granted, I'm not in the profession, but as "just a fan" I have to tell you, based on who all is coming back from injury, I will not in the least be surprised if he pulls off 10-3 at this point. 11-3 would be a huge shocker (I don't see this team beating OU right now), which makes me wonder what 10-4 for a second time around would do to the equation.

So, my question then is... assuming more wins are on the table, would the pressure still be there? I'd like to think Herman would realize without any pressure that changes need to be made, but the presence of Mehringer on staff is all the rebuttal that line of thinking needs.

One thing is that he did make a point of putting his staff on one year deals starting with this season. I won't be surprised if tries to retain Orlando, but we might be able to shed at least 2 other deadweight coaches like Warehime and Mehringer.

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

One thing is that he did make a point of putting his staff on one year deals starting with this season. I won't be surprised if tries to retain Orlando, but we might be able to shed at least 2 other deadweight coaches like Warehime and Mehringer.

I don't even mind keeping Orlando provided we add a LB coach. He isn't the best DC around, but he usually doesn't suck as badly as he does this year, and there are experience/injury excuses that more than a little aggravated the worst of his poor decisions this year.

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't even mind keeping Orlando provided we add a LB coach. He isn't the best DC around, but he usually doesn't suck as badly as he does this year, and there are experience/injury excuses that more than a little aggravated the worst of his poor decisions this year.

I really don't want to retain Orlando. I raised an eyebrow when he was trying to put 280 lb Roach at ILB last season, but still gave the benefit of the doubt. Didn't sound like he had a fucking clue what he wanted to do with the squad this offseason either. It's frustrating that Herman is putting together a pretty strong roster but wasting it with a mediocre staff.

I guess the hope is that they'll win enough to lock down the top talent in this cycle and he'll make just enough changes to the staff to get to the next level.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I really don't want to retain Orlando. I raised an eyebrow when he was trying to put 280 lb Roach at ILB last season, but still gave the benefit of the doubt. Didn't sound like he had a fucking clue what he wanted to do with the squad this offseason either. It's frustrating that Herman is putting together a pretty strong roster but wasting it with a mediocre staff.

I guess the hope is that they'll win enough to lock down the top talent in this cycle and he'll make just enough changes to the staff to get to the next level.

I could see (under the right circumstances) Orlando getting an offer elsewhere after next season, so keeping him would not be as catastrophic as keeping Mehringer/Meekins in their current roles.

Herman needs to grow into his role and do it in a hurry.

He should start with building a staff on and off the field but will his ego allow that. He has shown that he does care about the optics and will not make changes necessary because it might somehow question his decision making up to this point.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Is this the standard though? People used to say that about Greg Davis as well. “He’s not the worst OC out there.” If a coach isn’t an established top 10 talent at his spot, or a young investment showing a ton of promise (for a position coaching role only), then the guy needs to go.

I fucking have to live and die in business by “it’s up or out”, so why on earth is it unreasonable to expect that at UT in the football program? Del Conte can’t rebut that and neither can Fuckface. Todd Orlando can go fuck up some also-ran’s defense. I’d like to see some fucking pride re-established in how Texas plays defense and that clown isn’t going to be a part of making that happen, that zero-coverage blitz packaging motherfucker. 

Also, I’ll shit a golden barbed-wire dildo and then facefuck an overly enthusiastic futureman with it if Texas finishes this season 11-3. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Is this the standard though? People used to say that about Greg Davis as well. “He’s not the worst OC out there.” If a coach isn’t an established top 10 talent at his spot, or a young investment showing a ton of promise (for a position coaching role only), then the guy needs to go.

Well, no shit, it's not the standard. I'm only thinking in terms of damage control, given what is likely to be possible -- if you think we can clear all the dead weight from this staff in one off-season, then by all means, let's see it happen. Personally, I'll settle for... well, maybe not baby steps, but steps, anyway. 

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I fucking have to live and die in business by “it’s up or out”, so why on earth is it unreasonable to expect that at UT in the football program? Del Conte can’t rebut that and neither can Fuckface. Todd Orlando can go fuck up some also-ran’s defense. I’d like to see some fucking pride re-established in how Texas plays defense and that clown isn’t going to be a part of making that happen, that zero-coverage blitz packaging motherfucker. 

Also, I’ll shit a golden barbed-wire dildo and then facefuck an overly enthusiastic futureman with it if Texas finishes this season 11-3. 

I'd be impressed, feeling confident in Herman if he goes 11-3 and does make necessary changes.

Edited by Goodman

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is where it should start and end.  Outside of maybe Herb Hand - who on this staff fits that profile?

I understand that Herman wanted to instill his 'culture' and you can't do that by bringing in a bunch of hired mercenaries (who he's never worked with) - but this is Year 3 and the players are now the culture.

I wouldn't expect him to turn over the entire staff - but he damn sure needs to show at least three of his coaches the door - and balance the staff as part of the turnover.

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, no shit, it's not the standard. I'm only thinking in terms of damage control, given what is likely to be possible -- if you think we can clear all the dead weight from this staff in one off-season, then by all means, let's see it happen. Personally, I'll settle for... well, maybe not baby steps, but steps, anyway. 

You are an old, peace-loving hippie. Compromise is rational and a part of your DNA. I get it. I’d like to see Coach Fuckface deal with the same standard many of us are held to in our professional lives. Have a bad staff, that you recruited, and you want to keep your job that pays you exorbitantly for delivering uneven value thus far? Fine. Hit your fucking numbers next year or you, and whoever is on your staff, are gone before the holidays, you lucky, overhyped shithead. Thanks. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Idk what happens in the bowl game or a rematch Vs ou but 9-3 can definitely happen.  

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This is where it should start and end.  Outside of maybe Herb Hand - who on this staff fits that profile?

I understand that Herman wanted to instill his 'culture' and you can't do that by bringing in a bunch of hired mercenaries (who he's never worked with) - but this is Year 3 and the players are now the culture.

I wouldn't expect him to turn over the entire staff - but he damn sure needs to show at least three of his coaches the door - and balance the staff as part of the turnover.

If you remove the OC title from Beck, he would qualify since he is our best recruiter. People think highly of Drayton but his personality is not ideal, he'll get credit for Bijan and look  great once Bijan tears it up here. Same with Wittington if ever healthy. I love Naivar and would love to see what his group can do under a top tier DC.

30 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

this is insane. Orlando is the first guy that needs to go. He might not be the most incompetent coach on staff (looking at you, Drew), but his incompetence hurts the team more than any other.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

If you remove the OC title from Beck, he would qualify since he is our best recruiter. People think highly of Drayton but his personality is not ideal, he'll get credit for Bijan and look  great once Bijan tears it up here. Same with Wittington if ever healthy. I love Naivar and would love to see what his group can do under a top tier DC.

Awfully early to be assuming Bijan ends up at UT. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes. If the standard is not the worst defense in Texas history then there is no standard at all. I don't care about injuries, the schematic issues have been on full display for 3 years. It boggles my mind that sane posters can look at the simple change of playing press man coverage for almost the entire 2nd half, (one where KSU had less than 60 total yards) and not come to conclusion that Orlando is not a good coach at all. 

• Like 1

I'm down with Orlando being let go after the season.. But if he does go, you can expect a full  defensive staff turnover with the position coaches.  Unless of course, and probably a high chance, that Herman hires his ole buddy Ash to replace Orlando.  That leaves Giles, Naviar and Washington in the fold most likely.  So whatever TH does, it better start paying dividends IMMEDIATELY in 2020 or like CTJ says, CDC will have a good ole conversation with whichever BMDs TH has rubbed the wrong way

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm down with Orlando being let go after the season.. But if he does go, you can expect a full  defensive staff turnover with the position coaches.  Unless of course, and probably a high chance, that Herman hires his ole buddy Ash to replace Orlando.  That leaves Giles, Naviar and Washington in the fold most likely.  So whatever TH does, it better start paying dividends IMMEDIATELY in 2020 or like CTJ says, CDC will have a good ole conversation with whichever BMDs TH has rubbed the wrong way

Ash is a DB coach, perhaps the current guys do stay if they hire a LB coach and Ash is that extra set of eyes vs. owning a position. Washington is being torched on the recruiting trail by other coaches along with Herman & TO. Jahari Rogers is likely walking around DFW feeling like a prophet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Reason why I say Beatty for WRs, he seemed like a players coach and I gotta admit.. the guy could sell me on a versa and make me think i'm the coolest guy on the road.  Beatty can probably bridge whatever age, culture gap that exists with the WRs

He'd be the perfect TE coach IMO. He can recruit outside his position and be effective, not to the level of Beck but add him to Samples and you're cooking in DFW.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Ash is a DB coach, perhaps the current guys do stay if they hire a LB coach and Ash is that extra set of eyes vs. owning a position. Washington is being torched on the recruiting trail by other coaches along with Herman & TO. Jahari Rogers is likely walking around DFW feeling like a prophet. 

I can see that as well.. but that makes me more pessimistic for 2020.. It's another comfort hire.  

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Reason why I say Beatty for WRs, he seemed like a players coach and I gotta admit.. the guy could sell me on a versa and make me think i'm the coolest guy on the road.  Beatty can probably bridge whatever age, culture gap that exists with the WRs

You're basing his ability to sell on....what, exactly? Because he seems like a player's coach? That seems like a hell of an assumption to make based on...what exactly? Your gut? 

The age gap (Mehringer is one of the youngest assistants on staff) isn't exactly that far out of touch. For the record, he's 31 and the guy who a slam dunk recruiter and who resonates with the younger kids, Bryan Carrington, is 28 or 29. So...my first thought is, WHAT age  gap? They can't stand Mehringer because he's a fucking asshole. I'm past the point of willing to wager on my gut with some of this shit. You know what quell the ruffled feathers in the WR room? And everywhere else? Hire a coach who can actually fucking coach his position, fix the offense, and get some motherfuckers drafted relatively highly. That will fix the fucking problem. Bringing in a "used car salesman" to smooth over character issues doesn't sound like a sound long term solution for this team at any position group. How about find the guy who will succeed? 

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Texas needs a black WR coach. They need to shuck the two white WR coaches and join this world. It can be framed 1000 other ways and people can get mad about that being a major qualifier for getting hired, but in the real world, we're competing against programs that are pointing out that we've got a pretty fucking white group of bros, including at key recruiting positions. 

In truth, Orlando, Warehime, Mehringer, and Meekins all need to be told to hit the fucking road, now, and the replacements need to be 1) the best, most qualified DC that money can buy, 2) an LB coach, 3) a WR coach that is black and 4) a TE coach that can also coach special teams and is a lights out recruiter.

Also, Casey Horny needs to be fired yesterday and get the fuck away from this program. Also also, Chris Ash needs to get out of Austin and never be brought back unless he's actively destroying an opposing staff by being part of it. That guy might have hired the worst P5 staff, ever, in Year One at Rutgers, and he left that place in smoldering ruin. Enough with hiring failures, bros, and fucktards and expecting success. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Ash would be upgrade at DB coach over Washington and Naviar in terms of technique, and over Orlando in terms of using press coverage. In turn it would actually help our WRs as well, that is to actually practice against press man coverage. Which says something about how bad the DB coaches and Orlando are, because Ash would be the last guy I would want running the defense full time.

Herman has a real dilemma on his hands. The only assistants that I would say aren't a complete negative(in order from most to least positive impact) to the program are Hand, Beck, Drayton, and Giles. That means you are carrying 6 assistants that provide no net positive contributions. It's a miracle this team has won 6 games. Not to say those 4 guys are in the Top 10 at their positions either.

Hand is a very good recruiter, and appears to be a good coach, but him only playing 5 guys in almost every game is a fucking disaster.

Beck is an elite recruiter, and appears to be a good QB coach, he is also an abysmal game caller, if he is still actually calling plays.

Drayton is trending back to being a very good recruiter. The RBs are probably the best position group on the team in terms of improvement. Needs to start closing more high quality backs so that Texas doesn't have to move a WR and a QB to his position group in order to have depth.

Giles, lazy recruiter that somehow as managed to pull in 2/3 big time DL recruits this cycle. His position group doesn't generate much pass rush, but I can't really blame him based on the 3 tite look, but as the talent increases at the position, I'm hoping so does the production. I think he'd get more production if Texas ran more 4 man fronts. Roach would probably be wrecking havoc at 260 pounds coming off the edge instead of the 280+ they currently have him at.

Edited by HtownHorn

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

we are going 11-3 this season. lucky for me after you push out that barbed-wire cock you’ll bleed out through your shitter before you can face fuck anything. 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas needs a black WR coach. They need to shuck the two white WR coaches and join this world. It can be framed 1000 other ways and people can get mad about that being a major qualifier for getting hired, but in the real world, we're competing against programs that are pointing out that we've got a pretty fucking white group of bros, including at key recruiting positions. 

In truth, Orlando, Warehime, Mehringer, and Meekins all need to be told to hit the fucking road, now, and the replacements need to be 1) the best, most qualified DC that money can buy, 2) an LB coach, 3) a WR coach that is black and 4) a TE coach that can also coach special teams and is a lights out recruiter.

Also, Casey Horny needs to be fired yesterday and get the fuck away from this program. Also also, Chris Ash needs to get out of Austin and never be brought back unless he's actively destroying an opposing staff by being part of it. That guy might have hired the worst P5 staff, ever, in Year One at Rutgers, and he left that place in smoldering ruin. Enough with hiring failures, bros, and fucktards and expecting success. 

Oh Hi Earl

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Ash's 1st staff vs. Herman's 1st staff Delta is not as great as we'd like to think. Herman's 1st staff was pretty fucking shitty.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

. Also, I’ll shit a golden barbed-wire dildo and then facefuck an overly enthusiastic futureman with it if Texas finishes this season 11-3. 

If you actually held up your end of this bet, I’ll shit a golden Big Mouth Billy Bass that sings the Eyes Of Texas every time we blitz on 3rd down to hang in your home office. 

46 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Changes are coming 100% if Orlando is out. Nobody else on the staff, outside of 1 analyst who is like 30, has coached LBs. 

Bringing in Ash would leave Texas at this weird space where they have 3 guys coaching DBs + 1 analyst whose history is with DBs - which isn't going to happen. 

If Orlando is out, the entire defensive side has to shuffle due to current staff makeup/breakdowns.

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

The Ash's 1st staff vs. Herman's 1st staff Delta is not as great as we'd like to think. Herman's 1st staff was pretty fucking shitty.

It's a depressing debate, but at least Herman hired guys that had done ... something. I could make a favorable argument for Giles, Drayton, Beck, and Orlando versus not just the guys that Ash hired in the same roles, but in general against many other staffers on various P5 teams over the last 20 years. It's all fucking terrible though. Still, I challenge someone to point out a worse hire than Drew Mehringer as OC at Rutgers. And no, Shawn Watson was not a worse hire. Les Koenning at Kansas by Les Miles, while absolutely awful, is still not worse. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a depressing debate, but at least Herman hired guys that had done ... something. I could make a favorable argument for Giles, Drayton, Beck, and Orlando versus not just the guys that Ash hired in the same roles, but in general against many other staffers on various P5 teams over the last 20 years. It's all fucking terrible though. Still, I challenge someone to point out a worse hire than Drew Mehringer as OC at Rutgers. And no, Shawn Watson was not a worse hire. Les Koenning at Kansas by Les Miles, while absolutely awful, is still not worse. 

How about Drew Mehringer as WR/OC at Texas? The guy is part of our play calling process. Ash is a better hire than TO as HC-DC but you have Rutgers talent. Two shitty staffs.

Leaving VY out of the discussion, 2019 is sucking hind teat with Orlando, Mehringer. Washington and Warehime.  It is telling that Mehringer and Warehime suck more ass than Kennedy and Chambers.  

2005:  Mack, Davis Tolleson, Chizik, Akina, McWhorter, Rucker, Chambers, Kennedy, Giles.

2019:  Herman, Beck, Hand, Orlando, Washington, Drayton, Warehime, Mehringer, Giles and  (Meekins).