Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's more experienced than that other young black coach from Dallas everyone keeps bonerizing over.

It looks like Georgia was sad to see him go and hoped to bring him back when he took the Rutgers gig. He held together Kirby's transition class in Athens as a coach on the road, players and recruits loved him. He snapped up Tommy Bush out of Schertz for UGA. This should be a great hire, exceptional if he's a + teacher which he should be since he owns and ran a fucking training center in Colleyville. I have no idea why he took that Rutgers job other than to work with Ash, but it's certainly not going to sway my opinion that this would be, at minimum, a great hire.

^Herman’s cdt23

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Posted in football board also.

He certainly interviews well, but you either have substance or you don't.  Diaz and Bedford were great interviews.  He might hold the player's attention a while but they'll figure out if he's a fraud pretty quickly.  I'm not against a young, up and comer, but, yes, another Rutger's coach does suck by perception.  Did his position groups perform better than the year before he got there?  Fuck... you probably needed to watch Rutger's football games to even tell. If the rest of the defense was awful, especially the pass rush, it might be hard to differentiate. 

Did anyone watch Rutger's last year?

Edited by RabidM

He sounds like a potential stud recruiter, but only on year running a position group on his own, and that position group being at fucking Rutgers, doesn't sound great to me, although I'm open to more data; the recruiting doesn't matter if the season goes down the drain, and the talented corners learning to cover is pretty crucial to this season 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's more experienced than that other young black coach from Dallas everyone keeps bonerizing over.

It looks like Georgia was sad to see him go and hoped to bring him back when he took the Rutgers gig. He held together Kirby's transition class in Athens as a coach on the road, players and recruits loved him. He snapped up Tommy Bush out of Schertz for UGA. This should be a great hire, exceptional if he's a + teacher which he should be since he owns and ran a fucking training center in Colleyville. I have no idea why he took that Rutgers job other than to work with Ash, but it's certainly not going to sway my opinion that this would be, at minimum, a great hire.

Well, if a fucking mercenary program that won one title 40 years ago wants him back per some fans on a football board, fuck yes, he’s qualified and we should sign him up. 

9 hours ago, Fud said:

He sounds like a potential stud recruiter, but only on year running a position group on his own, and that position group being at fucking Rutgers, doesn't sound great to me, although I'm open to more data; the recruiting doesn't matter if the season goes down the drain, and the talented corners learning to cover is pretty crucial to this season 

More data? Where are you expecting more data from? We’re the more data. Let this sweet, unqualified buddy of Chris Ash learn on the J-O-B here at Texas in year 2 of his coaching career. We’re a stepping stone school for young coaches after all. This young fella has earned it!

• Like 1

Even if it turns out that Valai is the second coming of Duane Akina, hiring him at this point in his career is a bad hire.  Hopefully Chris Ash is willing and able to coach all things Defensive Back, so if Valai turns out to suck at teaching, he can focus on recruiting.  But if that were the case, why not just keep Washington?

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

There's videos of him with cones and everything.  one is narrated by God.

That video wasn't wholly reassuring.  Although coaching DBs that when the ball is in the air, they look for "man, then ball" was breathtaking after this past season's DB play.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, if a fucking mercenary program that won one title 40 years ago wants him back per some fans on a football board, fuck yes, he’s qualified and we should sign him up. 

But, oh sure, let's go hire Ra'shaad Samples who was an analyst at Texas and has one year of position coaching experience at ShowMeUrs. Valai was demonstrably successful recruiting Texas kids to Georgia. 

I'm not going to die on this hill, but having spent half a season with Ash in Camden is not a valid reason to dislike this hire. If he followed Ash everywhere a la Mehderkind, that would be cause for concern. Taking a promotion to the staff of your former position coach is just navigating a career.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But, oh sure, let's go hire Ra'shaad Samples who was an analyst at Texas and has one year of position coaching experience at ShowMeUrs. Valai was demonstrably successful recruiting Texas kids to Georgia. 

I'm not going to die on this hill, but having spent half a season with Ash in Camden is not a valid reason to dislike this hire. If he followed Ash everywhere a la Mehderkind, that would be cause for concern. Taking a promotion to the staff of your former position coach is just navigating a career.

The first part of your argument only works if you're addressing someone who has been banging pots demanding Samples to be a hire for months now. There are a lot, a LOT of people who weren't on board with that notion for the same reasons we're skeptical of a Valai hire. Kid has no skins and limited experience. Taking the Samples bullshit from some posters and applying it to everyone who has a problem with Valai is fucking false and incorrect. Just because Norla Horns is shithammered all the time and HollywoodColt has a gash where his dick should be, and both root for Texas and post on message boards doesn't also mean that you are never sober and also have a bleeding axe wound. Unless you want to tell us all otherwise?

I don't dislike the hire because he spent _________ period of time with ____________. I hate this fucking hire because we have an open checkbook, our head coach has clearly blatantly lied about scouring the NFL and college ranks far and wide for the best possible hire, and we settle on a guy with literally almost no experience as a coach (when we NEED competent coaching this season) as opposed to going out and getting PROVEN, EXPERIENCED coaches. This is Texas. Even if the shine has come off recently, we have the money to pay for PROVEN coaches with an a actual coaching and/or recruiting track record to come here. By not demanding that, we're lowering our own bar as a fucking program, and I for one hate to see it. Even the notion he *could* be a recruiting rainmaker is fucking wishcasting at this point. Based on what, some interviews people liked? This guy is the definition of a question mark in every single regard, and it's a combination lazy AND desperate hire that speaks volumes about the shitbirds in charge. 

I mean, were you not one of the posters telling everyone to chill down because Herman has this, is taking his time, and that his candidates were most likely still coaching football? If that was your stance, how do YOU feel about a guy with 1 year of experience at Rutgers coaching college football?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Feel free to find the post on here where I pine for the hiring of Rashad Samples. Throw it in my face and make me a fool. I don't have issues with Samples as a guy that could be a lead recruiter if he has proper coaching help around him, but I've not advocated for hiring Samples. I don't think many of the frequent posters on here have done so. That strawman might be convenient for you, but I don't know how helpful he is in this discussion.

The reality is, hiring Valai has no defense. None. Anyone attempting to do so is grasping at straws and clawing their way to hope. That should be done in private, because doing so here makes one out to be a simple fool in public. The guy has one year of coaching experience. He was fired after that one year. Prior to that, he was fired from his job as a quality control coach at the Chiefs. Go look it up. The Chiefs fired most of their defensive staff after 2018 and Valai was one of them. Prior to that he was hanging out with Kirby Smart long enough to realize there wasn't a growth plan for him at Georgia, so he started looking. Prior to that? He failed at an attempt at trainer/handler in the DFW footprint. 

This guy, at his young age, is already a proven loser. If he's hired at Texas as one of the 10 assistants in the football program, there is not a fucking drop of sunshine to wring out of the move for any rational thinker above the age of 7. It would be a pathetic hire made out of incompetence and bronyism. 

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

CDC should have just canned Herman in November. I hoped Texas could money-whip some talented coaches and cover for our inadequate HQ. However, it appears coaches hate him as much as we do and no amount of money in the world can overcome it.

We upgraded significantly at both coordinators.  Member?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There are a lot, a LOT of people who weren't on board with that notion for the same reasons we're skeptical of a Valai hire.

Fair

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He failed at an attempt at trainer/handler in the DFW footprint. 

Prove it. My opinion would change is this were true, but I've seen nothing that supports this theory. 

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Prior to that, he was fired from his job as a quality control coach at the Chiefs. Go look it up.

I did, all reports say he left on his own to take the Rutgers job. Maybe he was asked to find a landing spot, but it's not really relevant because Sutton was fired and Spagnuolo brought his guys.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This guy, at his young age, is already a proven loser.

Graduates with a degree and letters in football, starts his own businesses, begins coaching as a QC coach at Georgia, then QC in NFL, CB coach at Rutgers, and now potentially Texas. This looks like a pretty good career track to me for a college coach. I have no idea how you discern loser from here.

I am understanding of the argument that there are too many question marks for being a position coach at Texas. While I don't necessarily agree, it's a valid argument. Summating his career to this point as "proven loser" is bullshit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

CDC should have just canned Herman in November. I hoped Texas could money-whip some talented coaches and cover for our inadequate HQ. However, it appears coaches hate him as much as we do and no amount of money in the world can overcome it.

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s all comfort hires as usual. I think Herb Hand is the only time this staff has gone outside of it’s immediate circle for a hire. They have all the resources in the world and are too lazy to use them.

Yurcich wasn't a comfort hire.

Man, I'm far from stoked about Valai but y'all are DEPRESSING this morning.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm not sure why you would expect optimism, or anything else. We've been waiting weeks for news of position hires with (recklessly I'll admit) some level of hope and optimism. We hear nothing, and  when we do the rumors come as "We're balking at paying a paltry buyout for a stud WR coach and we might hire this guy who probably should be excited to coach somewhere like Memphis." What did you fucking expecting, cheers and adulation? The indicators are starting to appear that confirm our worst fears. EVERYONE SMILE!

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure why you would expect optimism, or anything else. We've been waiting weeks for news of position hires with (recklessly I'll admit) some level of hope and optimism. We hear nothing, and  when we do the rumors come as "We're balking at paying a paltry buyout for a stud WR coach and we might hire this guy who probably should be excited to coach somewhere like Memphis." What did you fucking expecting, cheers and adulation? The indicators are starting to appear that confirm our worst fears. EVERYONE SMILE!

Eh, I'm just always surprised at how much some people like to wallow in it. I certainly didn't expect everyone to be @Ricky's one-hitter, because that's some kind of brain damage.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Who is depressing this morning? I'm not hiring the fucking guy. I'm not reporting it, either. You know as well as anyone from your coverage of this and Shaggy over the years that I'd prefer to be optimistic, happy and winning, even if I'm acerbic and ridiculous when debating. This shit depresses me too, but I'm not bringing the depression. The premise of the potential hire is doing that.

At this point who cares? If Herman wants to die on the "comfort hires" hill, then by all means we should let him. If he puts together another subpar coaching staff for 2020, and the team subsequently underperforms, no doubt in my mind that he'll be fired. Then it won't be our problem anymore.

Would y'all rather CDC force Herman to hire a staff full of badasses to compensate for his weaknesses as a head coach? That's a bad strategy. If the problem is at the top, the faster we can fix that problem, the better off we'll be. Everything else flows from that.

It's time to sink or swim. If MENSA wants to fill his pockets with rocks....OK.

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Would y'all rather CDC force Herman to hire a staff full of badasses to compensate for his weaknesses as a head coach? That's a bad strategy. If the problem is at the top, the faster we can fix that problem, the better off we'll be. Everything else flows from that.

Worked for LSU

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Animated GIF

• Fuck You 3

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Prove it. My opinion would change is this were true, but I've seen nothing that supports this theory. 

I did, all reports say he left on his own to take the Rutgers job. Maybe he was asked to find a landing spot, but it's not really relevant because Sutton was fired and Spagnuolo brought his guys.

Graduates with a degree and letters in football, starts his own businesses, begins coaching as a QC coach at Georgia, then QC in NFL, CB coach at Rutgers, and now potentially Texas. This looks like a pretty good career track to me for a college coach. I have no idea how you discern loser from here.

I am understanding of the argument that there are too many question marks for being a position coach at Texas. While I don't necessarily agree, it's a valid argument. Summating his career to this point as "proven loser" is bullshit. 

1) Prove it - Is he still doing what he set out to do? No. He attempted something, saw little traction, and abandoned the business as far as I understand. 

2) Reminds me of a guy that was an aspiring artist, became a war veteran praised by his superiors for bravery, then began a career in politics, founded a movement, eventually was elected into leadership on the global stage and built allies to run a global empire. That guy also sounds fucking awesome!

Don't fucking spin me, dude. A college degree is a dime a dozen. Starting a business is quite easy. I've done it many times. I know plenty of other idiots that have started businesses of their own. Running a successful one is way fucking harder, and there's no evidence of Valai doing that. Told to leave at UGA, told to leave at KC, told to leave at Rutgers, yet here you are claiming these brief interludes in the world of football coaching as virtues for this guy. If all that looks swell to you, terrific. It highlights you as a fucking pollyanna rube to anyone else paying attention.

3) You are going to have to explain to me what "Summating" is. I consider myself a moderately well-read guy, but I don't know if I've ever encountered that verb. As to calling the guy a proven loser, thus far in his career, that's all he is. He's a currently unemployed 20-something with a history of poor performance in his profession, no tenure at any job, and only circular references to support him, of which one just happens to be in hiring mode at a new gig. I don't know if you've reached a role yet in which you have personnel responsibilities, but if you have and you're defending this guy's resume for a job at Texas, you must be a fucking joke of a manager with an absolutely shit team. 

4) This is what you get when you hire meatheaded clowns like Chris Ash and Tom Herman. Weak hires with little substance to their backgrounds beyond personal affiliation with the people doing the hiring.

People are attempting to defend all of this shit. It's unbelievable. I saw people defend Carl Reese and Greg Davis and Mac McWhorter for years. I watched people defend Shawn Watson and Tim Beck and Tim Nunez and Bobby Kennedy. Large Swaths of the fanbase vehemently defended Chuckles Strong as he finished each year with embarrassing losses and an overall losing record. All of the people doing this have been on the wrong side of Texas football history. Yet they keep showing up, in fucking waves, to celebrate the next reach below our punching weight because they cannot fathom the fucking premise that Texas is a place that apparently breeds entitlement, complacency, and sloth in its ranks as it counts its money. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tokamak said:

At this point who cares? If Herman wants to die on the "comfort hires" hill, then by all means we should let him. If he puts together another subpar coaching staff for 2020, and the team subsequently underperforms, no doubt in my mind that he'll be fired. Then it won't be our problem anymore.

I care. You should too. I'd like to stop losing and start winning. It's a quirk of mine. I can't help it. I don't care if that is Tom Herman doing the winning. I'd prefer it over alternatives. I don't wish to see the 2021 class vanish in a puff of fucking pollution that is a transition class. Fucking motherfuck. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Both? Did we?

Absolutely*

*the new coordinators may not be good, but my above answer will still be true 

55 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I care becuase if we let him go for round 2 of comfort hires, then he’s going to waste Sam’a entire career and further damage this program. If he can’t make better hires this time around, then he should have been fired the first time so a new coach could come in for the 2020 season and actually have elite talent to work with. 

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Prove it - Is he still doing what he set out to do? No. He attempted something, saw little traction, and abandoned the business as far as I understand. 

2) Reminds me of a guy that was an aspiring artist, became a war veteran praised by his superiors for bravery, then began a career in politics, founded a movement, eventually was elected into leadership on the global stage and built allies to run a global empire. That guy also sounds fucking awesome!

Don't fucking spin me, dude. A college degree is a dime a dozen. Starting a business is quite easy. I've done it many times. I know plenty of other idiots that have started businesses of their own. Running a successful one is way fucking harder, and there's no evidence of Valai doing that. Told to leave at UGA, told to leave at KC, told to leave at Rutgers, yet here you are claiming these brief interludes in the world of football coaching as virtues for this guy. If all that looks swell to you, terrific. It highlights you as a fucking pollyanna rube to anyone else paying attention.

3) You are going to have to explain to me what "Summating" is. I consider myself a moderately well-read guy, but I don't know if I've ever encountered that verb. As to calling the guy a proven loser, thus far in his career, that's all he is. He's a currently unemployed 20-something with a history of poor performance in his profession, no tenure at any job, and only circular references to support him, of which one just happens to be in hiring mode at a new gig. I don't know if you've reached a role yet in which you have personnel responsibilities, but if you have and you're defending this guy's resume for a job at Texas, you must be a fucking joke of a manager with an absolutely shit team. 

4) This is what you get when you hire meatheaded clowns like Chris Ash and Tom Herman. Weak hires with little substance to their backgrounds beyond personal affiliation with the people doing the hiring.

People are attempting to defend all of this shit. It's unbelievable. I saw people defend Carl Reese and Greg Davis and Mac McWhorter for years. I watched people defend Shawn Watson and Tim Beck and Tim Nunez and Bobby Kennedy. Large Swaths of the fanbase vehemently defended Chuckles Strong as he finished each year with embarrassing losses and an overall losing record. All of the people doing this have been on the wrong side of Texas football history. Yet they keep showing up, in fucking waves, to celebrate the next reach below our punching weight because they cannot fathom the fucking premise that Texas is a place that apparently breeds entitlement, complacency, and sloth in its ranks as it counts its money. 

I would hate the Valai hire if/when it happens, but saying he got fired at KC and Rutgers, while technically true, is somewhat misleading. He got fired for his superiors’ performance moreso than his own and, like just about every other assistant when a coordinator is fired, had to find new work when the entire defensive staff was turned over. It doesn’t necessarily speak to his ability to coach. 

Either way, the dude has almost no success to point to on his resume and hiring him is a joke. If CDC and/or Herman aren’t blocking this hire, then fuck them both. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Been depressing way longer than just this morning...  a decade in the wilderness will do that to folks though.  I'm more of a glass is half full kinds guy so I still have faith and optimism...

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I would hate the Valai hire if/when it happens, but saying he got fired at KC and Rutgers, while technically true, is somewhat misleading. He got fired for his superiors’ performance moreso than his own and, like just about every other assistant when a coordinator is fired, had to find new work when the entire defensive staff was turned over. It doesn’t necessarily speak to his ability to coach. 

Either way, the dude has almost no success to point to on his resume and hiring him is a joke. If CDC and/or Herman aren’t blocking this hire, then fuck them both. 

It's not misleading. Removing all culpability for the outcomes is specious and you fucking know it. Valai was fired at both places because he moored himself to sinking ships and couldn't help them stop taking on water. There is no fucking need for nuance. No one dial-ed up the lawyer hotline and asked for hairsplitting over why the fucking guy has been shitcanned 3 times in 4 years. It speaks for itself.