Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It makes no sense to me to be flirting with other QB prospects. 

Milroe is probably the  best  QB prospect I've seen since VY, but coaches have to prepare for every possible outcome.  Look what happened when we had a bad run of circumstances with David Ash etc...  Look what happened when we "cleared the deck"  for Garrett Gilbert and then he didn't pan out.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 8:57 PM, closetojumping said:

Problem 1) I would eventually have to lose a bet. Not likely. 

Problem 2) I would never allow the stakes to be as high as some random guy getting to assign my avatar. 

Problem 3) @Fud is in deep shit on his Coburn vs Oromo bet. 

refresh our memory on #3

what's the bet there?

16 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Milroe is probably the  best  QB prospect I've seen since VY, but coaches have to prepare for every possible outcome.  Look what happened when we had a bad run of circumstances with David Ash etc...  Look what happened when we "cleared the deck"  for Garrett Gilbert and then he didn't pan out.

The trick is, you take a lower rated guy so Milroe isnt threatened or upset by the take and basically views the QB2 as his backup vs competition.

16 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

We'll always wonder about what could have been with David Ash - he showed flashes. And Garrett Gilbert will go down as top 5 disappointing Longhorn football players. Thanks Mack!

Glad Yurcich recognizes the reality and is trying restock the QB room. Behind Ehlinger, there is no one proven and wonder if Casey Thompson bails this off season.

What's the story on Brandon Campbell?  Is 2467 page says he's at Lamar Consolidated HS now.  Played this past season at a Pearland school and was at Katy Taylor year before that.

He seemed really high on Texas at one point and would probably be committed if the staff let him.  I assume he's behind LJ Johnson and Wheaton at this point and time.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What's the story on Brandon Campbell?  Is 2467 page says he's at Lamar Consolidated HS now.  Played this past season at a Pearland school and was at Katy Taylor year before that.

He seemed really high on Texas at one point and would probably be committed if the staff let him.  I assume he's behind LJ Johnson and Wheaton at this point and time.

Reminds me of Christian Wallace from a few years back - talented, upbeat and friendly on social media/interviews, but with a lot of weird smoke around and high school transfers

https://247sports.com/player/christian-wallace-33391/

On 1/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, lemonandaturd said:

That number 25 looks good in those highlights.  

I know he's playing in 3A and some of the players are just a little bit smaller, slower, and less agile than you'd see in higher levels. But all you can do is dominate the team you line up against and he looks incredible. I have no idea what kind of prospect he is - just that his highlights are kind of ridiculous and the 4.5 number on his HUDL page looks pretty accurate to me.

I'm curious to see if a bunch of other teams start recruiting him. 

Direct link to his HUDL for anyone that's interested: http://www.hudl.com/v/2CY43K

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Reminds me of Christian Wallace from a few years back - talented, upbeat and friendly on social media/interviews, but with a lot of weird smoke around and high school transfers

https://247sports.com/player/christian-wallace-33391/

When I went to the 2015 (?) Katy vs. Taylor game, there were two ancient looking guys sitting behind us who spent most of the game talking about some super talented kid named "Christian" from the area. They said he had a really bad attitude about football and school. I don't remember much in the way of specifics, but I think refusing to take practice seriously, being high all the time, and ignoring/mouthing off at coaches were all on the list. I obviously don't know for sure that they were talking about Wallace, but...

Katy's OL looked like it was composed of full grown men. Katy had Rodney Anderson and Kyle Porter and both ripped off multiple 50+ yard TDs. My wife and kids felt bad for Taylor.

/csb

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well, I believe that. Have you seen the way that guy eludes defenders in the open field? Kyle Porter can’t hold a candle to Case. 

134071715.jpg

CDC needs to commission an artist to make a statue of this gem.  Closest thing we've had since VY.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I know he's playing in 3A and some of the players are just a little bit smaller, slower, and less agile than you'd see in higher levels. But all you can do is dominate the team you line up against and he looks incredible. I have no idea what kind of prospect he is - just that his highlights are kind of ridiculous and the 4.5 number on his HUDL page looks pretty accurate to me.

I'm curious to see if a bunch of other teams start recruiting him. 

Direct link to his HUDL for anyone that's interested: http://www.hudl.com/v/2CY43K

If I am being honest, I don't really see him as someone who would ever get on the field here. For the lower division guys, you generally need to see a guy who is so athletically superior to his competition that it is comical. He is definitely better than everyone, but I don't see a huge gap. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If I am being honest, I don't really see him as someone who would ever get on the field here. For the lower division guys, you generally need to see a guy who is so athletically superior to his competition that it is comical. He is definitely better than everyone, but I don't see a huge gap. 

I agree. He’s definitely dominant at that level, but I noticed he was caught multiple times when he wasn’t fast enough to outrun the defenders angle.  At that level, he should be able to outrun almost everyone even if they had angles on him. 
Great elusiveness (horrible ball security) and if he truly runs a 4.5, I’d like to see him back there returning punts for us, but I don’t see him being a 5-star talent. 

Edited by EZ$

IT Scoop - 21 relevant

Spoiler

JALEN MILROE

Last week Texas offered two new quarterbacks in the 2021 class - Sawyer Robertson and Garrett Nussmeier. Of course the natural inclination for this tired and beaten down fan base is to assume the worst with class leader Jalen Milroe. Factual, albeit half-reporting elsewhere doesn't help the situation and anything that isn't 100 percent rainbows has people biting their fingernails like corn on the cob.

Here's what you need to know in one succinct sentence: If Tom Herman and Mike Yurcich are honest with the Milroes on their intentions at the position, everything will be perfectly fine and he'll recruit his ass off.

It has always been the case that he's not afraid of being in a two quarterback class, just like Hudson Card wasn't afraid of being in a two quarterback class. As long as the staff is up front and open with him, he's good.

Nobody wanted a second quarterback in the class until Mike Yurcich was hired. There are plausible reasons for him wanting a second arm. If however, he's just not a fan of Milroe’s game or fit, the Milroes want to hear that. They like Texas the school and think the program is going to get back to contending in a big way, but they'll be alright if they need to look elsewhere. If Yuricich is looking for "his guy" they need to be told plainly because Milroe is QB1 worthy all day long and other schools are recruiting him as such.

As of now the family is operating on the assumption that Jalen is going to Texas. There is no shortage of interest in him, with OU, LSU, USC, Florida, and others trying to pry him loose. Despite the outward appearance to some that Texas taking two quarterbacks makes it easier to drive a wedge between he and Texas, he is going to stay committed as long as Texas keeps him in the loop about its intentions and truly covets him.

By the time Milroe arrives in Austin, the depth chart will look a whole lot different than it projects right now. Yurcich seems to understand that.

On Jordon Thomas... the 2022 PA Memorial four-star DE had a wonderful return to Austin, meeting the new defensive coaches. Coming off an injury-riddled junior season, Thomas is back to health and preparing for track and field. But first, about that weekend visit....

“Man, it was all family and love ,” said Thomas. "I got to meet the new DC, Coach Ash. He's a really cool guy and straightforward."

The overall vibe is what really stood out for the Golden Triangle manimal.

"The family stuff they do, the vibes and caring, and they always do the little things for you," Thomas explained about his experience on Saturday.

"They want me to be a hybrid (DE, OLB)," said Thomas. "That really got my attention and it’s going to be a lot of fun."

Texas A&M, LSU, and Auburn are pushing. But so is Texas. This one has a ways to go, but keeping Thomas a priority is the key to this recruitment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Scoop - 21 relevant

Hide contents

JALEN MILROE

Last week Texas offered two new quarterbacks in the 2021 class - Sawyer Robertson and Garrett Nussmeier. Of course the natural inclination for this tired and beaten down fan base is to assume the worst with class leader Jalen Milroe. Factual, albeit half-reporting elsewhere doesn't help the situation and anything that isn't 100 percent rainbows has people biting their fingernails like corn on the cob.

Here's what you need to know in one succinct sentence: If Tom Herman and Mike Yurcich are honest with the Milroes on their intentions at the position, everything will be perfectly fine and he'll recruit his ass off.

It has always been the case that he's not afraid of being in a two quarterback class, just like Hudson Card wasn't afraid of being in a two quarterback class. As long as the staff is up front and open with him, he's good.

Nobody wanted a second quarterback in the class until Mike Yurcich was hired. There are plausible reasons for him wanting a second arm. If however, he's just not a fan of Milroe’s game or fit, the Milroes want to hear that. They like Texas the school and think the program is going to get back to contending in a big way, but they'll be alright if they need to look elsewhere. If Yuricich is looking for "his guy" they need to be told plainly because Milroe is QB1 worthy all day long and other schools are recruiting him as such.

As of now the family is operating on the assumption that Jalen is going to Texas. There is no shortage of interest in him, with OU, LSU, USC, Florida, and others trying to pry him loose. Despite the outward appearance to some that Texas taking two quarterbacks makes it easier to drive a wedge between he and Texas, he is going to stay committed as long as Texas keeps him in the loop about its intentions and truly covets him.

By the time Milroe arrives in Austin, the depth chart will look a whole lot different than it projects right now. Yurcich seems to understand that.

On Jordon Thomas... the 2022 PA Memorial four-star DE had a wonderful return to Austin, meeting the new defensive coaches. Coming off an injury-riddled junior season, Thomas is back to health and preparing for track and field. But first, about that weekend visit....

“Man, it was all family and love ,” said Thomas. "I got to meet the new DC, Coach Ash. He's a really cool guy and straightforward."

The overall vibe is what really stood out for the Golden Triangle manimal.

"The family stuff they do, the vibes and caring, and they always do the little things for you," Thomas explained about his experience on Saturday.

"They want me to be a hybrid (DE, OLB)," said Thomas. "That really got my attention and it’s going to be a lot of fun."

Texas A&M, LSU, and Auburn are pushing. But so is Texas. This one has a ways to go, but keeping Thomas a priority is the key to this recruitment.

So I've seen this thing about Milroe not caring about being in a 2 QB class, but wasn't the reason that we got him because Alabama took another QB right before he was about to commit?