Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Class Size for 2021: 25+

Class Finish for 2021: Top 3

In-state/OOS Mix: 80/20

Highest Ranked Player In the Class: Tommy Brockermeyer

Biggest Drama That Texas Avoids: Camar Wheaton

I assume a top 5 of Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida and Texas. I'm sure LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon will be right there as well. ATM will buy their share, but the wheels flying off whenever their hopes are shattered yet again will start to pull at the fabric of the JimboForPresident tapestry. 

Class Size: 25+

Class finish: 3rd, tOSU and Clemson in front, Alabama and Oregon behind. LSU in the top 10, but coming back to reality on the field will hurt a bit. Oregon will continue to pillage California to the tune of a few 5*s

In/OOS: 90/10

Highest Ranked Signee: TB

Avoided drama: Adeleye - he's actively embracing the SEC game. He'll end up somewhere like Tennessee or Ole Miss, though aggy will attempt to jump in. Florida will be the favorite and he'll "shock the world" on NSD2.

Most Underrated Signee: Cam'ron Valdez

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Alright, so, the 2020 recruiting cycle is mostly complete. Now that puts 2021 into full swing. So what do we think?

I assume a top 5 of Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida and Texas. I'm sure LSU, Ohio State, and Oregon will be right there as well. ATM will buy their share, but the wheels flying off whenever their hopes are shattered yet again will start to pull at the fabric of the JimboForPresident tapestry. 

OU finish: Top 12 with the usual overloading of offensive players by numbers and ranking

ATM finish: Top 15 and I alluded to their issues above beyond that.

Of course I'm being a little optimistic, but I'm expecting Texas to have a big 2020 season. I'm also not expecting Texas to recruit like pussies in the new landscape, and they mostly haven't. 

Anybody else want to take a shot?

Whoa whoa whoa on the sunshine there, CTJ....

But seriously, how confident in Tommy Brockermeyer are you? Scale of 1-10, or of your choosing...

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Alright, so, the 2020 recruiting cycle is mostly complete. Now that puts 2021 into full swing. So what do we think?

Of course I'm being a little optimistic, but I'm expecting Texas to have a big 2020 season. I'm also not expecting Texas to recruit like pussies in the new landscape, and they mostly haven't. 

With the obvious caveat that we’ll all look like idiots if Herman shits the bed this season, I agree with most of this. 

I say we’ll finish 5th this year with the top 5 all being close together and us having a class score right around 300. I could easily see Texas finishing top 3 with a good season and willingness to win some OOS auctions. 

I’d drop Florida out of the top 5 in exchange for either LSU or tOSU. I could see Clemson falling out of the top 5 just due to class size (they’ve taken 52 over the last two classes, which is a ton for them. Numbers are hard to predict for them due to all the early entrants), though they may average like a .96 per recruit so their finish will be very dependent on class size. I fully expect them to have the highest average per recruit. 

As for specific prospects and positions, I really like the offers of Cooks and Blackwell at LB. it shows a good understanding on the part of Ash and the defensive staff of the changing profile of college and pro linebackers. You’re way better off taking guys in the 190-200 lb range in HS that are damn good football players and athletes and then bulking them up to 220 in college. Side note: the recruiting services haven’t figured this out yet, so I’ll be perfectly ok with taking 3 stars at this spot. If you look at the last five or so years, there are a ton of 4 and 5* busts at LB because the services fall in love with guys who are 240 in HS and already look the part instead of projecting. The 2016 class is a great example of this. 

Our LB offers also speak well to Ash’s understanding of how to use our current (and potential spin down) LBs for this upcoming season. I think Harris Jr. is a better edge rusher than off ball LB and, especially if we miss on Jackson, he will hopefully be viewed as edge defender/DL instead of off ball LB like he would’ve been in Orlando’s defense. 

I think we’ll go out of state to find elite talent at WR, CB, and possibly safety. Guys like Franklin and Mario Williams are the type we’ll need to land to get a top 3 class. 

Im not sure who it would be, but we also need to land a legit TE. With Herman’s insistence on using the TE (Yurcich uses a TE heavily too, although he’s not as obstinate about it), not taking a true TE in 2020 was a mistake and Juan Davis is a great prospect, but I’d like to see him paired with a true in-line TE. 

34 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

No idea what the Safety board looks like, but that's the deepest position on the team, would we take only 1??

I don't know what the Safety board looks like, either, but even when it's deep, I still think you've gotta take 2 minimum every year. It's not just the deepest position on the team, it's also (on defense at least) the one where it's the most important not to fuck up.

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Pretty sure @closetojumping said we were recruiting him pretty hard.  It'll be interesting to see if we take his commitment if he wants to before Brock bros, Byrd, and Foster announce.

Yeah, if you go back and look at the 2020 thread in February-ish, I posted that Texas was serious about Bijan Robinson when it looked like we were, sure, talking to him and trying to get him to visit, but probably still much more interested in Evans. That's what I was told and it came true. Have heard the same view on Miller. Texas likes him and Hand wants him in the class. I don't think there is a clear either/or for him though. I don't think it has anything to do with the Brocks or Byrd. They just like him. I'll ask for an update soon.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Did I miss something on the Brock’s? I thought you just recently said something that painted a picture of them not coming here.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. 

Basically and supposedly, they were/are in love with Clemson but didn't get the warm assurances about James they were expecting, and expecting in a pretty entitled way it sounds like. There is a zero percent chance they go to LSU, I don't care what anyone, anywhere says. I'm taking bets for anyone who wishes to take the LSU position. The family isn't stupid about Smart at Georgia, either. Georgia isn't a shithole university though. Maybe there's a shot for UGA. Bama is the new big threat but there are problems there too. Clemson, I'm sure, is still on the radar, but Clemson has numbers issues and already has a C in 2021 that they like.

In reality, the mom supposedly hasn't taken any real position yet and we all know that that will matter. So they're deciding that Herman and Hand are clowns but, oh yeah, Kirby Smart is a great dude and so is Nick Saban. Trust those guys. Right. We'll see. I just think Texas makes too much sense if Texas produces this year. Cosmi going in the top 60 picks will also play a role in the whole "who is Texas developing" premise. Hell, Kerstetter will get drafted after next season too.

I let a kid make their own decision about college once upon a time. With some pretty prestigious fucking choices on the table, said kid chose to attend ATM with their best friend. Kid and parent regret that these days in small ways. I can say from experience that if the parents don't make their own hard push for where the kids should go, the parents are indeed fucking up. Sometimes (a lot of times) the parent(s) know better. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Juan Davis is a great prospect, but I’d like to see him paired with a true in-line TE. 

This guy. Recent offer, will blow up.

https://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Arroyo-46093996/

I'm not really convinced Juan is a TE. He's like Hullaby where you let him come in and figure it out.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't know what the Safety board looks like, either, but even when it's deep, I still think you've gotta take 2 minimum every year. It's not just the deepest position on the team, it's also (on defense at least) the one where it's the most important not to fuck up.

You could make an argument for this in Orlando’s scheme, but in our current scheme, it’s DL and it’s not even close. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

You could make an argument for this in Orlando’s scheme, but in our current scheme, it’s DL and it’s not even close. 

Oh, I'm not saying Safety is the most important position. I will always argue for the trenches on both sides. But mediocre line play doesn't kill you nearly as fast under Ash's system as mediocre Safety play does. You can die a slow, painful death if the DL can't get home, but you'll die a quick, stab-in-the-heart death if your Safety can't recover from biting on a run fake and take away a slot receiver going deep.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This guy. Recent offer, will blow up.

https://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Arroyo-46093996/

I'm not really convinced Juan is a TE. He's like Hullaby where you let him come in and figure it out.

I think Juan is probably a TE, but he’s more of a move TE, like Liebrock. I do think he’s a much cleaner projection to TE than Hullaby, but he could possibly end up at DE. 

I know Arroyo will probably be the highest rated TE in Texas, but I’m not sold on him yet. TE is inherently an extremely tough position to project and the late bloomers tend to do better, so I hope we keep that spot open until a good bit later in the cycle. 

I would consider myself a failure as a parental figure if my son ever chose to attend ATM or OU

One of the consistent themes throughout the Brockermeyer saga has been entitlement.  Obviously hoping for the best end result but I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about the Hermanator successfully navigating a family like that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Oh, I'm not saying Safety is the most important position. I will always argue for the trenches on both sides. But mediocre line play doesn't kill you nearly as fast under Ash's system as mediocre Safety play does. You can die a slow, painful death if the DL can't get home, but you'll die a quick, stab-in-the-heart death if your Safety can't recover from biting on a run fake and take away a slot receiver going deep.

You’re making a lot of slight distinctions in these posts, but safety is pretty easy to recruit to and you can train up a 3* safety you take after missing on all your top targets to be at least serviceable and not kill your defense much, much easier than you can at DL.
That and the safety holding up against that slot WR is much more dependent on a good pass rush than the safety’s individual talent. Mediocre DL play will cause a ton of problems, mediocre safety play won’t and your example of the safety getting burnt deep is not what constitutes mediocre safety play. Ash preaches never getting beat deep, so even mediocre guys at that spot probably won’t have that happen to them very often. 

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni seems pretty confident with aggy and LJ Johnson.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing much between him and aggy before this last weekend.

1 minute ago, Radical Larry said:

It’s Perroni.

I think @SydneyCarton actually knows the coaches at Cy Fair or whatever. Maybe he can look up from his PS4 or the new restaurant food review he’s writing out on his big chief tablet for a second and tell us what he’s heard. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni seems pretty confident with aggy and LJ Johnson.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing much between him and aggy before this last weekend.

Well Texas made it through the big Super Bowl weekend and didn't lose anyone off their big board in a complete surprise commitment. I wouldn't put too much stock into what an aggy mod says, they believe they are getting everyone in Feb.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well Texas made it through the big Super Bowl weekend and didn't lose anyone off their big board in a complete surprise commitment. I wouldn't put too much stock into what an aggy mod says, they believe they are getting everyone in Feb.

When even the bag kids like Ibraheem aren't showing up to your events (because word's gotten around they're fucking lame), you've got problems.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'll say top 5 barring another fuck up like this past season.  Start out 5-0 with wins @ LSU and vs OU then shit gets real and we're talking errbody and flips.

Brockermeyer's are the must gets for me.

Really want Burris and Jackson, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Those are the kinda' guys to go with what we just brought in + Ja'Tavion that we were running out from 03-09 type that dominated.

Get LJ Johnson and I'm fine with no Wheaton if he has the baggage that's being alluded to.

When does Lake decommit?

Good options at LB this year and things actually look good with the targets.

Need some Corners bad.  Ibraheem, Washington, an OOS guy, doesn't matter, got to get them.

No idea what the Safety board looks like, but that's the deepest position on the team, would we take only 1??

Want Foster for the monsoon of aggy tears + plus he's a beast.

You should not get your hopes up for Burris or Jackson. Long shots.

I'll be watching OL and RB the closest. Time for Hand to put out an OL that plays like smart men and dominates, TBD. Can Drayton follow up Bijan with 2 very good backs? Will our RB's play confident and fast or will Drayton mind fuck them? I think we do avoid the Camar shitshow and also think jimbo beats us with LJ. No excuses for Drayton this year.

Edited by Goodman

17 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Didn't Tommy say he was going to make a decision over the summer?

Could be. It's just obvious that in spite of us shitting ourselves this season, the Brockermeyers want to come to Texas. It makes the most sense fpr them. We've just been making it a lot harder on them than they would prefer. As ctj says, they aren't going to LSU because LSU is a shitty school. They aren't likely going to Clemson because Clemson doesn't need/want James.

With Bama, Georgia, and Texas being the remaining candidates, we check the most boxes. We just need to not look like monkeys fucking a football. I was at the Iowa State game this season. Trust me, I know what monkeys fucking a football looks like.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Official

WOOT!!! Get fired up everybody! This is huge. I haven't been this excited about a new amazeballs defensive hire since Jay Valai way back last month! Before that, whew. Who can remember back that far? Chris Ash getting the DC job, maybe? I don't know. This is awesome though!

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

WOOT!!! Get fired up everybody! This is huge. I haven't been this excited about a new amazeballs defensive hire since Jay Valai way back last month! Before that, whew. Who can remember back that far? Chris Ash getting the DC job, maybe? I don't know. This is awesome though!

I'm not excited about it, but would have been a decent hire on the initial staff. <FART>

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Off-season ctj is PIQUE ctj

18 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'll be watching OL and RB the closest. Time for Hand to put out an OL that plays like smart men and dominates, TBD. Can Drayton follow up Bijan with 2 very good backs? Will our RB's play confident and fast or will Drayton mind fuck them? I think we do avoid the Camar shitshow and also think jimbo beats us with LJ. No excuses for Drayton this year.

Our OL was actually pretty solid and dominated at times in the run game. We we’re top 30 per PFF without ideal personnel at OL last year, and that was with a horrible offensive game plan most weeks. I think Hand’s pretty clearly shown (at UT and elsewhere) that he’s a good but maybe not elite OL coach that will always have better run blocking than pass blocking OLs, but he’s improved the OL two years straight. 2020 isn’t some prove it year for him. 

Our top 2 RBs averaged 5.9 and 5.3 YPC. If the Drayton mindfuck thing was real, then I doubt they’d have those kinds of numbers. Especially when we had a bunch of games where Beck/Mehringer/Herman called inside zone over and over into 3 tite fronts designed to stop that exact run. Ingram’s problem is that he’s a shell of himself when he’s dinged up, but when fully  healthy, he usually played extremely well, so I don’t see much pointing to Drayton mindfucking our RBs other than some posters on here just generally thinking he’s Satan reincarnate.

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

OU finish: Top 12 with the usual overloading of offensive players by numbers and ranking

ATM finish: Top 15 and I alluded to their issues above beyond that.

Let's give it a shot, going to add a calendar reminder to check this next year around this time...

Class Size for 2021: full class (25)

Class Finish for 2021: #4

Highest Ranked Player In the Class: T Brockermeyer

Biggest Drama That Texas Avoids: you already said Wheaton but I will go with Tunmise Adeleye (sorry HarvDog)

Top 5: Bama, Clemson, Florida (Top 3 finish, Florida currently has 9 of the top 50 and 15 of the top 100 + Brewster), Ohio St, Texas (in no specific order)

OU finish: I think they finish closer to 15 than 10 so lets say 13 - again the split to offense/defense. I think they loose Grinch and that further leads to more of an Off/Def overload. 

ATM finish: like OU I think they finish closer to 15 than 10. let's say 14 by a tiny margin behind OU due to a late bump for some OU offensive player.

Other: J'a"Tavion Sanders finishes the year at a 5* top 25 player in the country, Milroe and Preston Stone finish outside the composite TX top 10 and get passed by Sawyer Robertson for top composite QB in Texas, Ibraheem finishes in the top 10 (currently 21)

19 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Kinda setting Drayton up for failure with these two sentences back to back.

2 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Rumor I'm hearing in coaching circles is Stone is trying to reclassify to 2020 and will graduate in May or possibly late summer and enroll at SMU and play this fall. Just depends on how many credits he can get knocked out before then. But that's the plan. 

well that is interesting...would just be pushing to get his RS year behind Shane then be ready to go the next year?

Edited by NoName

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think @SydneyCarton actually knows the coaches at Cy Fair or whatever. Maybe he can look up from his PS4 or the new restaurant food review he’s writing out on his big chief tablet for a second and tell us what he’s heard. 

Hey, go fuck yourself.

Ill ask about LJ Johnson tomorrow. Shockingly these people aren’t exactly texters. I know the head coach either just retired, or this is his last season so it will be interesting to see if they are replaced by a red-ass Aggie as well. I’ll see what they say about LJ, but last time we discussed him he said he really liked Texas. 

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

well that is interesting...would just be pushing to get his RS year behind Shane then be ready to go the next year?

That's what im assuming and also try to catch SMU at a time when their roster is talented (for SMU). I think dad also probably thinks he can beat Shane out lol

21 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

Rumor I'm hearing in coaching circles is Stone is trying to reclassify to 2020 and will graduate in May or possibly late summer and enroll at SMU and play this fall. Just depends on how many credits he can get knocked out before then. But that's the plan. 

Isn’t Shane a senior this year? He should reclassify and redshirt 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

So they're deciding that Herman and Hand are clowns but, oh yeah, Kirby Smart is a great dude and so is Nick Saban. Trust those guys. Right. We'll see. 

I get the distaste to Herman. What’s their issue with Hand? He seems generally competent and likeable. Is he just a clown because he didn’t offer James immediately?

There is a lot of kool-aid being passes around. I will go the other direction because I'm a contrarian cunt. 

Class Size for 2021: full class (25)

Class Finish for 2021: #7

Highest Ranked Player In the Class: Savion Byrd (ie we don't land Brockermeyer)

Biggest Drama That Texas Avoids: Tunmise Adeleye 

Top 5: Bama, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, A&M

OU finish: #12 for reasons already stated. 

ATM finish: #5 (Easy as fuck schedule = Undefeated going into Bama/LSU + paying for players)

Other: Texas won't have a bad year by any means, we likely finish 9-3 or 10-2. The full class will keep Texas right next to the Top 5, but unless we beat OU or LSU, or are willing to play the game, it will be hard make the top 5

Edited by Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Other: Texas won't have a bad year by any means, we likely finish 9-3 or 10-2. The full class will keep Texas right next to the Top 5, but unless we beat OU or LSU, or are willing to play the game, it will be heard make the top 5

This would be a bad year by all the means

Edited by Hank_Hill