Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

28 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

That's what im assuming and also try to catch SMU at a time when their roster is talented (for SMU). I think dad also probably thinks he can beat Shane out lol

The beauty of landing Preston Stone is that you also get the bundle with the 5 Star Helicopter Dad. I think it is going to go really well up there for everyone and I am looking forward to it. 

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sterns' replacement

Bowman is nickel more than a safety, I'd assume. 

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I get the distaste to Herman. What’s their issue with Hand? He seems generally competent and likeable. Is he just a clown because he didn’t offer James immediately?

For some personality types, when they're really good at something, they tend to think anyone else involved with it doesn't know shit. Sounds like there's a bit of that with Hand/pops Brock here. I'll spoiler the rest since it is long-winded stream of consciousness stuff.

Spoiler

As I hear the "Hand isn't that great" sentiments that pop up every now and then, my push back is always generally "well, you fucking guys in CFBland loved Wickline and he was absolute shit, and point out to me who is currently amazing you that you'd rather send kids to?" and that's usually met with shrugs. There are some better OL coaches out there, but it's not a long list, especially given his recruiting help as well. If the Rice HC gets fired after this season, sure, let's go get his ass and tell Hand "good luck in the future", but this isn't Madden dynasty building. The best coach at every position isn't sitting somewhere on the same staff. It feels like bullshit to me.

There is not a person involved with following UT football that is willing to be more derisive about a coach or assistant coach or admin than I am, but I have to see merit in the argument. We can't just dislike everyone because Herman is an idiot or a chunk of the staff sucks(ed). Hand is fine. The OL performance deteriorated over the course of 2019 when the gameplans became more predictable than a Grey's Anatomy episode. I have friends that don't geek out on this stuff nearly as much as we do and they were accurately predicting run/pass and specific playcalls in given situations. No shit the OL will suck in that event. So the Hand whining is bullshit. 

Sidenote, I also find the context of all of this to be ridiculous. Connor Williams was drafted more highly than any Clemson OL ever, in the history of their program. They have 4 OLs entering the draft this year. I haven't checked out the mocks, but someone correct me if a single one of those guys is earmarked for a higher round than 3rd. As great as their run has been, they're not a factory for OL draft picks. Obviously Bama can claim that they are and UGA to a lesser degree. Clemson? GTFO. That tells me that people are, as usual, making emotional decisions and attempting to find whatever logic they can in the aftermath to support it.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

James wasn't an obvious take initially and has developed very well pretty quickly. The fact they are holding grudges against coaches for slow playing his offer is ridiculous. 

Not sure they're exactly holding grudges. They just want to come to Texas. We need to do our part.

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I get the distaste to Herman. What’s their issue with Hand? He seems generally competent and likeable. Is he just a clown because he didn’t offer James immediately?

ctj may have heard differently but what I was told the initial issue had less to do with Herman and more Yancey and Hand. I think the Brocks had a very different idea of how things would play out in terms of the answers that would be given to the questions they had about James. The Brocks trip to Clemson was a big dash of reality for Kristy, and the subsequent exact same answers probably helped Texas, honestly. Batson and Caldwell simply had the same things to say (questions/doubts) that Yancey and Hand had previously mentioned - specifically in terms of flexibility. 

If you don't want the answer to the question - don't ask it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For some personality types, when they're really good at something, they tend to think anyone else involved with it doesn't know shit. Sounds like there's a bit of that with Hand/pops Brock here. I'll spoiler the rest since it is long-winded stream of consciousness stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

As I hear the "Hand isn't that great" sentiments that pop up every now and then, my push back is always generally "well, you fucking guys in CFBland loved Wickline and he was absolute shit, and point out to me who is currently amazing you that you'd rather send kids to?" and that's usually met with shrugs. There are some better OL coaches out there, but it's not a long list, especially given his recruiting help as well. If the Rice HC gets fired after this season, sure, let's go get his ass and tell Hand "good luck in the future", but this isn't Madden dynasty building. The best coach at every position isn't sitting somewhere on the same staff. It feels like bullshit to me.

There is not a person involved with following UT football that is willing to be more derisive about a coach or assistant coach or admin than I am, but I have to see merit in the argument. We can't just dislike everyone because Herman is an idiot or a chunk of the staff sucks(ed). Hand is fine. The OL performance deteriorated over the course of 2019 when the gameplans became more predictable than a Grey's Anatomy episode. I have friends that don't geek out on this stuff nearly as much as we do and they were accurately predicting run/pass and specific playcalls in given situations. No shit the OL will suck in that event. So the Hand whining is bullshit. 

Sidenote, I also find the context of all of this to be ridiculous. Connor Williams was drafted more highly than any Clemson OL ever, in the history of their program. They have 4 OLs entering the draft this year. I haven't checked out the mocks, but someone correct me if a single one of those guys is earmarked for a higher round than 3rd. As great as their run has been, they're not a factory for OL draft picks. Obviously Bama can claim that they are and UGA to a lesser degree. Clemson? GTFO. That tells me that people are, as usual, making emotional decisions and attempting to find whatever logic they can in the aftermath to support it.

Basically, the entire recruitment is being driven by James and Blake’s desire to attempt to maximize his performance. Barring injury, I could coach Tommy and he’ll be a first rounder in 3-4 years. Dad wants to get the most out of James and it’s all revolving around how much of a priority the smaller bro is for each program. 

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

ctj may have heard differently but what I was told the initial issue had less to do with Herman and more Yancey and Hand. I think the Brocks had a very different idea of how things would play out in terms of the answers that would be given to the questions they had about James. The Brocks trip to Clemson was a big dash of reality for Kristy, and the subsequent exact same answers probably helped Texas, honestly. Batson and Caldwell simply had the same things to say (questions/doubts) that Yancey and Hand had previously mentioned - specifically in terms of flexibility. 

If you don't want the answer to the question - don't ask it. 

Just a guess here, but could this have happened when they visited for a practice last spring and when they returned for the spring game James got the offer?

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Our OL was actually pretty solid and dominated at times in the run game. We we’re top 30 per PFF without ideal personnel at OL last year, and that was with a horrible offensive game plan most weeks. I think Hand’s pretty clearly shown (at UT and elsewhere) that he’s a good but maybe not elite OL coach that will always have better run blocking than pass blocking OLs, but he’s improved the OL two years straight. 2020 isn’t some prove it year for him. 

Our top 2 RBs averaged 5.9 and 5.3 YPC. If the Drayton mindfuck thing was real, then I doubt they’d have those kinds of numbers. Especially when we had a bunch of games where Beck/Mehringer/Herman called inside zone over and over into 3 tite fronts designed to stop that exact run. Ingram’s problem is that he’s a shell of himself when he’s dinged up, but when fully  healthy, he usually played extremely well, so I don’t see much pointing to Drayton mindfucking our RBs other than some posters on here just generally thinking he’s Satan reincarnate.

Pretty solid is not good enough. Grinch in the shootout and baylor did is not acceptable.

RB stats are great, which makes the questioning of Drayton’s ability to communicate and his recruiting more frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Pretty solid is not good enough. Grinch in the shootout and baylor did is not acceptable.

RB stats are great, which makes the questioning of Drayton’s ability to communicate and his recruiting more frustrating.

Well we basically have the same OL coming back a year older, and with (pleasegodplease) less predictable playcalling it pretty much gets better by default.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Baylor and OU were directly attributable to horrible game plans. Hand wasn’t the one calling slow developing run plays against OU that allowed them to stunt all game and never made them pay for it. He also wasn’t the one calling inside zone right into the strength of the Baylor defense, then leaving the team in third and longs constantly. 

I’d love for you to tell me the better OL coaches out there that are good enough for your standards. One of em is at OU and he sure as hell ain’t leaving for a lateral position. Hand is, at minimum, a good P5 OL coach. 2021 will be the first year he’ll have a real OC game planning and calling plays for his OL, so let’s see how it looks next year, but the idea that 2021 is a prove it year for Hand is laughable. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Baylor and OU were directly attributable to horrible game plans. Hand wasn’t the one calling slow developing run plays against OU that allowed them to stunt all game and never made them pay for it. He also wasn’t the one calling inside zone right into the strength of the Baylor defense, then leaving the team in third and longs constantly. 

I’d love for you to tell me the better OL coaches out there that are good enough for your standards. One of em is at OU and he sure as hell ain’t leaving for a lateral position. Hand is, at minimum, a good P5 OL coach. 2021 will be the first year he’ll have a real OC game planning and calling plays for his OL, so let’s see how it looks next year, but the idea that 2021 is a prove it year for Hand is laughable. 

Right or wrong, wins-losses reflect on the coaches. So does recruiting and development. He had a couple of meatheads at key positions the past few years and had to play a young guy at guard who did not play very smart either. Add a meathead HC....I’m judging him on wanting the best here, pretty good is not good enough. Perhaps it’s the HC, OC and/or dumb players. The results we’ve seen in his 2 years is simply not good enough. I do hope it’s different this year but have to see it first.

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

If the Drayton mindfuck thing was real, then I doubt they’d have those kinds of numbers.

Try it the other direction, who has developed at all at RB while Drayton has been here? Name one RB that improved even a little bit under his tutelage?

Why did a true freshman QB turned RB look markedly more decisive and competent than our returning RBs?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Right or wrong, wins-losses reflect on the coaches. So does recruiting and development. He had a couple of meatheads at key positions the past few years and had to play a young guy at guard who did not play very smart either. Add a meathead HC....I’m judging him on wanting the best here, pretty good is not good enough. Perhaps it’s the HC, OC and/or dumb players. The results we’ve seen in his 2 years is simply not good enough. I do hope it’s different this year but have to see it first.

It’s cool to say stuff like, “It’s not good enough! I only want the best!” but failing to factor in the context of the coaches around him, or the players available to him (almost none of which he got to recruit) and then saying you want a better OL coach or you want to see better performance and the way to do that is replace the OL coach doesn’t seem like a very smart way to go about it. When opposing teams can reliably guess run or pass based on formation and tendencies, your OL is going to look bad at times, but I don’t blame that all on Hand. 

The best OL coaches in the country aren’t available to us. It would be pretty difficult to upgrade from Hand. There aren’t many obvious upgrades from him and the ones that are, aren’t realistically attainable. And then on top of that, you have to factor in the likelihood of Herman identifying someone who would be an improvement. So yeah, odds of doing better than Hand are low. 

He’s performed well here both years all things considered. I’d like to see an uptick in performance, which is likely to be due to a better OC more than anything, but Hand has done well and shouldn’t be anywhere near the top of the list of coaches to replace on staff. 

• Like 1

I think the shitty season, at times ugly offense, and at times poor locker room morale has more to do with the Brockermeyers being in watch and see mode than how the recruitments were handled. I don’t think Hand wanting to see James up close in spring practice before offering was really that big of a deal in the whole scheme of things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think Juan is probably a TE, but he’s more of a move TE, like Liebrock. I do think he’s a much cleaner projection to TE than Hullaby, but he could possibly end up at DE. 

I know Arroyo will probably be the highest rated TE in Texas, but I’m not sold on him yet. TE is inherently an extremely tough position to project and the late bloomers tend to do better, so I hope we keep that spot open until a good bit later in the cycle. 

I don't know, he reminds me of Lawrence Sampleton.  A lot.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Try it the other direction, who has developed at all at RB while Drayton has been here? Name one RB that improved even a little bit under his tutelage?

Why did a true freshman QB turned RB look markedly more decisive and competent than our returning RBs?

Keaontay finally improved once his vision got better. Not sure who you credit that to, but it was frustrating to watch how many yards he'd leave out there. At least that got better. 

Edited by UncleBuck

It does raise the question of how you develop a player without introducing new complex concepts they were unfamiliar with coming out of high school and at what point that becomes mind fucking. But that is probably tailored to the individual player and is part of the nuances of coaching and therefore part of what should make him a qualified coach or not. Overly complex concepts introduced too quickly or packaged incorrectly can stunt development but at the same time leaving everything to instinctual running doesn’t make you a good developer either. Fine line.

Edited by Hank_Hill

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Baylor and OU were directly attributable to horrible game plans. Hand wasn’t the one calling slow developing run plays against OU that allowed them to stunt all game and never made them pay for it.

And Iowa State.

Holy fuck! We were calling nearly every play pre-snap.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

what is your measurement for a developed RB?

How do you think a freshman QB, turned RB, was coached well enough to look competent?

If you believe Drayton isn't developing RBs, wouldn't that make you the first person in a long time to accuse him of such? He seems to have been well reviewed at every stop for over a decade now. I get issues on the recruiting side, as he doesn't seem to like that much though Bijan did credit him some.

Our top two RBS had 1900 yards, from scrimmage, combined this season.

How many fumbles lost? Zero, right? Amazing..luck? coaching?

Roschon seemed well coached there, the way he held the ball lol.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Eh, I wish he were more like the Matthews blindly sending all their kids to aggy, but I don't think Blake is being a dick.

He’s being a colossal prick.  He played for Mackovic.  Program is in much better shape now than it was under that clown.

Edited by Fondren & Main

RoJo started the season looking very awkward as a RB, despite his early success. As the season progressed, positive changes in his posture, how he held the ball, and decision making seemed obvious to me. If we’re not giving Drayton credit for that, we’re just looking for reasons to hate the guy.

• Like 7

Steve Wiltfong: Inside the nation No. 2 OG Bryce Foster’s top five

Katy (Texas) Taylor Top247 2021 offensive guard Bryce Foster has narrowed his focus to five schools. Those programs include LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and Texas A&M. Foster is the nation’s No. 2 offensive guard per the 247Sports Composite and he’s also an elite shot put and discus thrower. “I narrowed it down to those five because I felt like those were the places that felt most like home,” Foster told 247Sports. “I felt like they are putting in maximum effort in recruiting me and getting the track portion involved as well.” The 6-foot-4 1/2, 318-pound Foster highlighted what he liked about each program.

LSU: “They have put a big emphasis on letting me throw when I’m there. They talk to me probably the most out of anyone so I’m always staying in touch. The coaches want to repeat as the National Champions and I love the grind they put out. They are also close to home as well as the Sooners.”

Oklahoma: “The culture definitely. They have been to the playoffs the last three years and haven't been able to capitalize like they have wanted to. When I saw them work out, they are working for a purpose and I love what I’m seeing by them.”

Oregon: “They are starting to try and convert Oregon to become O-Line U. and I think they may be on the way there. I want to play my freshman year. That’s my goal. They have some guys graduating just in time for when I come in. So hopefully I can earn a starting position if I were to go there.”

Texas: “They are very close to home and have a great throwing program. Coach Hand has been recruiting me for four years or so now. I think it's cool that he has still stayed with me even though he changed schools.”

Texas A&M: “They have this pipeline for after football so I’ll be successful no matter what I do when I’m older. I've been there so many times and I never get tired of the atmosphere. The food is also one of the best.”

Foster ranks as the nation’s No. 68 prospect regardless of position.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

There is a lot of kool-aid being passes around. I will go the other direction because I'm a contrarian cunt. 

Class Size for 2021: full class (25)

Class Finish for 2021: #7

In-state/OOS Mix: 80/20

Highest Ranked Player In the Class: Savion Byrd (ie we don't land Brockermeyer)

Biggest Drama That Texas Avoids: Tunmise Adeleye 

Top 5: Bama, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, A&M

OU finish: #12 for reasons already stated. 

ATM finish: #5 (Easy as fuck schedule = Undefeated going into Bama/LSU + paying for players)

Other: Texas won't have a bad year by any means, we likely finish 9-3 or 10-2. The full class will keep Texas right next to the Top 5, but unless we beat OU or LSU, or are willing to play the game, it will be hard make the top 5

Seems like anyone named Brockermeyer would be a shoe-in.  Then again, I know nothing of modern day recruiting.

Edited by Bullneck

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Texas A&M: “They have this pipeline for after football so I’ll be successful no matter what I do when I’m older. I've been there so many times and I never get tired of the atmosphere. The food is also one of the best

WTF? Where? 

I will play

Class Size for 2021: full class (25+)

Class Finish for 2021: #3

In-state/OOS Mix: 75/25

Highest Ranked Player In the Class: Tommy Brockermeyer

Biggest Drama That Texas Avoids: Looks like a tie between Cemar and Tunmise 

Top 5: Clemson, Georgia, Texas, Alabama and Florida,

OU finish: #13  I think Rattler will struggle and the defense will take a step back  I see them 9-3

ATM finish: #19  They have an easy schedule  I think they lose 3.  I think Leach will have something for them.  LSU and Bama beat them and the moaning will start about the Jimbo buyout  

Other:The Texas season will come down to 3 conference games. OU, TCU and Iowa State. I think we end up 10-2 or 11-1 and will play Iowa State for the BigXII Championship. It will turn heads and we will get late season flips from some guys that will commit early. We will be balanced and our running game will be stellar. Sam has a Heisman worthy year, gets to NY and finishes 3rd. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Mom must have been feeding him Dixie Chicken and Freebirds from birth and telling him it was fine cuisine.

Freebirds is the most overrated place to eat. It’s like a redneck Chipotle in that you have to like sodium, two days of your caloric intake at one time and diarrhea. I guess if you are fat or poor it has an appeal but to me that place is like eating out of a toilet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

I will play

Class Size for 2021: full class (25+)

Class Finish for 2021: #3

In-state/OOS Mix: 75/25

Highest Ranked Player In the Class: Tommy Brockermeyer

Biggest Drama That Texas Avoids: Looks like a tie between Cemar and Tunmise 

Top 5: Clemson, Georgia, Texas, Alabama and Florida,

OU finish: #13  I think Rattler will struggle and the defense will take a step back  I see them 9-3

ATM finish: #19  They have an easy schedule  I think they lose 3.  I think Leach will have something for them.  LSU and Bama beat them and the moaning will start about the Jimbo buyout  

Other:The Texas season will come down to 3 conference games. OU, TCU and Iowa State. I think we end up 10-2 or 11-1 and will play Iowa State for the BigXII Championship. It will turn heads and we will get late season flips from some guys that will commit early. We will be balanced and our running game will be stellar. Sam has a Heisman worthy year, gets to NY and finishes 3rd. 

I do not understand.  You had us all believing that Tunmise was an Eagle Scout who spent his spare time working at the animal shelter and helping old women cross the street. There is no way he would cause unnecessary drama during his recruitment. 

51 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Freebirds is the most overrated place to eat. It’s like a redneck Chipotle in that you have to like sodium, two days of your caloric intake at one time and diarrhea. I guess if you are fat or poor it has an appeal but to me that place is like eating out of a toilet. 

poop sneezing GIF

54 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Freebirds is guaranteed diarrhea 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I do not understand.  You had us all believing that Tunmise was an Eagle Scout who spent his spare time working at the animal shelter and helping old women cross the street. There is no way he would cause unnecessary drama during his recruitment. 

Never said anything like that.  I said he’s a good kid who is enjoying the process.  He comes from a good family.  That being said, I think he’s doing what he thinks is best for him and getting to the NFL.  He was apart of a solid team at Tompkins and left to go to IMG.  That is about him and him alone.  It stopped being about his team when he made an individual decision. When he made that decision, I changed my mind and saw drama.  Doesn’t mean he’s a bad person it just means that I think he’s worrying about himself.  Teams don’t need me guys and he’s a me guy. There are other guys in this class that are just as good and we should focus on kids like that. Landon Jackson is a beast and would be a comparable get.  

• Like 3