Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

On 2/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, closetojumping said:

I think @SydneyCarton actually knows the coaches at Cy Fair or whatever. Maybe he can look up from his PS4 or the new restaurant food review he’s writing out on his big chief tablet for a second and tell us what he’s heard. 

I asked my guy to ask around school Monday on latest news on LJ. He said last he heard, the school that had really caught his eye and he was talking about was Georgia. He said the current sentiment in general is these kids have no problem going out of state.  (SEC). He didn’t really deny kids getting paid to take visits, but he grimaced and doesn’t really like to acknowledge it as happening. But currently it’s Georgia, but he said he’d see if aTm has come up or taken a position. He personally said he didn’t think Texas had a great shot of landing LJ. 

As most of you know, cy fair is definitely a stronghold for aTm. The head coach was an Ag, as were many of the longtime assistants. But that head coach retired, this was his last season. Cy Fair would prefer to hire from within, but the long time DC who would have been a lock to get the job turned it down. He bought a place in Brenham 3 years ago, and the thought is he doesn’t want the commute AND all the extra shit that comes with being a head coach. That leaves the OC, but there isn’t huge consensus behind him, other coaches on staff have applied. It will be interesting to see what happens, as cy fair would be a plum job in a relatively easy division and a good talent base. They’re consistently in the playoffs, and good for a deep run every few years. Recent state champion. I’ll be curious if any big names n Texas HS football make a play for the job and get hired over someone internal. It could change how Kids perceive Texas. The old regime didn’t shit talk Texas but obviously they talked up aTm. But the demographics of folks have become less Farm centric in the past 10-12 years as well. No timeline was known for naming a replacement. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach put in his CB for Quay Davis back to Texas...which means he’s probably enrolled already 

Here's his note.  (It really is his note - I didn't make it up.)

Spoiler

My wife is asleep so i'm sneaking away from my no-work vacation to post this. I entered a crystal ball for Quay Davis. Nothing specific happened, but I mentioned a few weeks ago that when I spoke with him, Davis was still very high on Texas. I talked to a source near Davis over the weekend who told me he eventually lands back with the Longhorns. My pick was on foggy so I put it back on Texas.

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure, but the overwhelming assumption on this board was that we were comfortably ahead for Byrd. Hearing otherwise with no other scuttlebutt having come out about him is somewhat unexpected and jarring. 

For someone who was viewed as an alpha dog that others would want to play with, Ja'Quinden Jackson's current teammates sure have no problem going elsewhere.  I don't necessarily fault JJ, it's just strange to witness.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

The Stampede: An early look at the 2021 board

As we turn the page to the 2021 class, Texas already has a head start on the race to add the next class of Longhorns. Seven prospects are already in, with four-star Denton Ryan athlete Ja’Tavion Sanders, four-star Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe, four-star Denton Ryan athlete Billy Bowman, four-star New Caney linebacker Derrick Harris Jr., four-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner, three-star Lake Travis tight end Lake McRee, and three-star Everman athlete Juan Davis as members of the class.

Recruiting never sleeps, so as quickly as we put away the last class, we turn our focus to the next class. The Longhorns were able to get many of their top prospects on campus over the last few weeks to meet much of the new coaching staff and become acquainted. Though new coaching staffs typically work from behind, the early returns on this group from prospects that visited are strong at the moment.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break down what the board looks like for Texas going into the 2021 cycle.

QUARTERBACK

Commit(s): Jalen Milroe

In-state targets: Garrett Nussmeier, Sawyer Robertson

Out of state targets: None

On the radar: Kaidon Salter

Texas scored their starting quarterback when they landed Milroe (pictured) last summer, but they also scored the face of their 2021 class. The strong-armed quarterback with the million-dollar smile is solid to Texas, but new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich is still targeting a second player at the position. Yurcich offered Nussmeier and Robertson, and he recently saw Salter throw in person.

RUNNING BACK

Commit(s): None

In-state targets: Camar Wheaton, LJ Johnson, Jonathon Brooks

Out of state targets: Donovan Edwards, Phil Mafah

On the radar: Brandon Campbell

The Longhorns are likely looking for two backs after signing only Bijan Robinson in 2020. Wheaton (pictured) and Johnson are the top prizes in-state, but Texas seems to be serious about Hallettsville runner Jonathon Brooks. Brandon Campbell holds an offer, but I’m not sure Texas is pushing for a commitment at this point.

WIDE RECEIVER

In-state targets: Quaydarius Davis, JoJo Earle, Theodore Knox

Out of state targets: Agiye Hall, Mario Williams, Troy Stellato, Christian Leary

On the radar: Latrell Neville

Texas previously held a commitment from Davis (pictured), but he opened things up during the fall. The Longhorns would desperately try to re-gain ground on JoJo Earle and continue to build with Theodore Knox. There has been some optimism around the recruitments of Mario Williams and Troy Stellato, and Leary recently spoke highly of his offer. Neville holds an offer, but I believe the new staff will want to evaluate him this spring before moving forward. In a class that is talented and deep, receiver is one of the position groups lacking.

TIGHT END

Commit(s): Lake McRee, Juan Davis

In-state targets: Dametrious Crownover, Elijah Arroyo, Landen King

Out of state targets: None

On the radar: None

Juan Davis (pictured) is technically an athlete with the ability to play multiple positions while McRee seems to be considering decommitting. Since Texas didn’t take a true tight end in 2020, the Longhorns are likely to take multiple targets in 2021. It seems that the in-state crop is as talented as it has been in the past couple of years. Texas has an offer out to Moliki Matavao as an out of state target, but he hasn’t reciprocated much interest.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Commit(s): Hayden Conner

In-state targets: Tommy Brockermeyer, Savion Byrd, Reuben Fatheree, Matthew Wykoff

Out of state targets: Jonah Miller, Bram Walden

On the radar: Erick Cade

The offensive line group is as talented as it gets in 2021 and the tackle position headlines the whole group. Texas already has a commitment from Hayden Conner, and Tommy Brockermeyer is the big prize with Byrd (pictured), Fatheree and Wykoff also on the board. Texas will also likely push to reel in Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic’s Jonah Miller and he’s been receptive to returning for another visit.

INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE

In-state targets: Donovan Jackson, Bryce Foster, Jaeden Roberts, James Brockermeyer

Out of state targets: Jager Burton

Jackson is already committed to Ohio State, but Texas will surely continue to push for him. Brockermeyer is the lone center target at this time. The Longhorns are pushing to land Foster and they hosted Burton earlier in the fall. There hasn’t been much movement with Roberts lately, but that might pick up in the spring.

DEFENSIVE END

Commit(s): Ja'Tavion Sanders

In-state targets: Landon Jackson, Jordon Thomas, Marcus Burris, Shemar Turner

Out of state targets: Tunmise Adeleye, Aaron Armitage

On the radar: E’maurion Banks

With a move to the four-man front, Texas is looking for some legit edge rushers. Landon Jackson (pictured) and Tunmise Adeleye would be considered the top prizes. Thomas was offered early while Burris and Turner could likely shift inside to defensive tackle. Texas will have to battle Texas A&M and Oklahoma for several of these prospects, but the Longhorns sit in a good position for most of them. Banks is marked as having a Texas offer, but he’ll likely be re-evaluated this spring. Sanders is listed as an athlete with the versatility to play multiple positions.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

In-state targets: None

Out of state targets: J.T. Tuimoloau, Maason Smith

On the radar: Byron Eaton

After offering a lot of defensive ends with the ability to grow, Texas hasn’t made many offers in this category. I’d expect this to be a position they look at strongly during the spring and evaluate some targets to fit their new scheme.

LINEBACKER

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Commit(s): Derrick Harris Jr.

In-state targets: Kendrick Blackshire, Clayton Smith, Terrence Cooks, Morice Blackwell

Out of state targets: Smael Mondon

Texas already holds a commitment from Harris (pictured) and is in a good place with Terrence Cooks. The Longhorns hosted Blackwell recently and they checked on Clayton Smith during their January visits to schools. Mondon’s offer is interesting because new linebacker coach Coleman Hutzler recruited Georgia hard while at South Carolina.

CORNERBACK

In-state targets: Ishmael Ibraheem, Hunter Washington

Out of state targets: Tony Grimes, Nyland Green, Malik Williams

On the radar: Deuce Harmon

Jay Valai will take aim at his top targets early in the spring, but we're sure to see more in-state offers after the evaluation period. Hutzler can help with recruiting the prospects in Georgia while Valai has a history there as well from his time on Kirby Smart's staff. Even though top-notch prospects like Ibraheem (pictured) are already squarely on the radar, there's likely to be a lot of growth in-state at this position.

SAFETY

Commit(s): Billy Bowman

In-state targets: JD Coffey, Isaiah Nwokobia, Romario Noel

Out of state targets: Kaine Williams

Texas sent offers out to several in-state prospects, and they are in good standing with Coffey (safety) and Nwokobia. Like the cornerback position, the safety position will likely grow through the evaluation period. Bowman could factor in here, but he’s listed in the athlete category. Still, many high school coaches I spoke with feel Bowman's best fit is in the secondary.

• Like 5

Steve Wiltfong: Way-too-early predictions for the top uncommitted 2021 recruits

Not even a week after National Signing Day, we’re already ripping and roaring in the 2021 recruiting cycle. The top two prospects in the 247Sports Composite, defensive linemen Korey Foreman (Clemson) and Jack Sawyer (Ohio State) have already committed, while seven of the eight top-ranked quarterbacks have pledged to a program. But there’s obviously still tons left on the board in 2021. Let’s take a look at my way-too-early predictions for the 10 best uncommitted prospects. Rankings are via the 247Sports Composite. Stay tuned next week for 247Sports' refresh of the 2021 player rankings.

5-STAR OT TOMMY BROCKERMEYER - Prediction: Alabama

247Sports Composite Rank: 3

High School: Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints Episcopal 

I believe there’s already been a couple changes at the top for Brockermeyer. Texas was perceived as the early favorite and then Clemson got momentum. I think this is trending towards Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide at this point. Player development and on-field success two of the many things that stick out to Brockermeyer, who is seen as a package deal with his twin brother James (No. 320 in 2021). Expect the Brockermeyers to return in the spring to watch Alabama practice. Certainly they’ll be on campus for Texas spring practices where Tommy’s older brother Luke is a linebacker (Dad, Blake, was an All-American in the 1990s at Texas). Auburn, LSU and Georgia are also in the picture, while Clemson has lost footing and has not offered James. A decision target date seems to be June after taking at least a few official visits.

5-STAR RB CAMAR WHEATON - Prediction: LSU

247Sports Composite Rank: 6

High School: Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial

I like LSU at this point for Wheaton, who took a recent visit to Baton Rouge and felt a family feel on campus. Ed Orgeron was by Wheaton's school recently and assistant coaches Tommie Robinson and Kevin Faulk have both made an impression on Wheaton. Alabama and Oklahoma are also in the mix, among any others. Wheaton is safely considered one of the fastest players in America. 

5-STAR OT SAVION BYRD - Prediction: LSU

247Sports Composite Rank: 12

High School: Duncanville (Texas)

The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Texas but I’m hearing it may actually be LSU that’s in the best shape early for the blue-chipper out of powerhouse Duncanville. The Tigers have made a killing recruiting the Lone Star State in recent years.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure, but the overwhelming assumption on this board was that we were comfortably ahead for Byrd. Hearing otherwise with no other scuttlebutt having come out about him is somewhat unexpected and jarring. 

I haven’t thought we’ve led for Byrd for a while, especially not since Sample’s left and this season went to shit.
I also don’t have any clue why he’s a 5 star. I understand he didn’t play OT this year, but he’s never looked like a 5 star to me. I expect him to steadily drop in the rankings over the next year. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I just don't have a good feeling about the Brockermeyers.  Their visits and actions all but say they are likely choosing between UGA, Bama, and/or Clemson if they decide to offer James.  When was the last time they visited Texas for recruiting reasons?  Going to the bowl game to watch Luke play doesn't count! hah

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This time last year Collins was Fong'd to aggy.

Yeah, I don’t really understand people getting upset over Fong’s prediction. People always cite his prediction record, but he’s constantly changing his picks. A Fong CB this early doesn’t mean anything. 

As of this moment, it seems pretty obvious we’re not the leaders, but I’ll be surprised if the Brocks commit anywhere before the season.  If we have the kind of season we should with this roster talent, then they’ll probably end up at Texas. If not, they’ll join a long list of college and NFL stars from the past decade who justifiably went elsewhere because the program was a mess.

I guess there’s a chance their dad has completely written off Herman/Hand and Saban is able to seal the deal before this season, but that seems pretty unlikely IMO. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t thought we’ve led for Byrd for a while, especially not since Sample’s left and this season went to shit.
I also don’t have any clue why he’s a 5 star. I understand he didn’t play OT this year, but he’s never looked like a 5 star to me. I expect him to steadily drop in the rankings over the next year. 

I agree on Byrd.  

I also get that he's playing out of position,  but after seeing him in person he didn't seem to have 5* ability.  

Just didn't seem to have a lot of aggression or a very high speed motor.  

edit:

He does have a 5* frame though,  I guess he could be coached up. 

Edited by Laga4

I feel this way about brockermeyer as I did with Collins. Wondering to myself are we the only school in the country that has all American longhorn parents and family struggling to land their kids.   Then we land Collins. Hopefully the same thing pans out.  Even though I don’t follow other schools as much I just rarely here. Cuz dad was an all American and his kid snubs dad school