Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So what exactly is the deal on Cooks rating?  He's got most the big offers, supposedly ran an impressive forty at a UW camp, and was the top LB at the Rivals Houston camp by a mile.  You'd think he'd at least be in the .91-.92 range composite.

He’ll get his bump in due time, imo. 

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Anwar is reporting that Tarik Black will be competing with Eagles at X, no mention of anyone else.

That tells me Smith and Washington are moving to Z and Whit and Moore are competing at slot. Yurch's preferred skill-sets coming into focus. 

Are we trusting the word of Anwar "Tyrone Swoopes is starting and it's not even close" Richardson now?

• Like 1

Just now, TheBryMan81 said:

Are we trusting the word of Anwar "Tyrone Swoopes is starting and it's not even close" Richardson now?

Anwar and OBs have chosen to be Tom Herman's personal mouthpiece.

So, no. We don't trust the word of Anwar. This would just be a weird thing for Tom to push a fake narrative about. 

• Like 2

If Black is what he’s supposed to be (good), then we need him and Eagles on the field at the same time along with Whittington and Smith getting the rest of the snaps. 
Man, we have some depth at WR with Washington, Moore and Lewis likely not seeing much playing time.

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Anwar and OBs have chosen to be Tom Herman's personal mouthpiece.

So, no. We don't trust the word of Anwar. This would just be a weird thing for Tom to push a fake narrative about. 

The problem is knowing when he's mouthpiecing and when he's not

(Mike Roach) Recruiting Retrospective: How Texas landed Vince Young

Texas legend Vince Young will always have a place in Longhorn history. His accomplishments are known far and wide from even the most casual of football fans. But before Young was dominating in Austin, he was dominating in Houston. The five-star prospect from Houston Madison was ranked the No. 1 overall recruit in the country when Texas signed him, and the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings have him tied for the No. 1 all-time recruit in the modern era.

When Young was still a high school phenom, Horns247 publisher Bobby Burton covered Young extensively during his high school career and recalls his dominance on the high school level.

“Vince Young was the most dominant high school football player I’d ever seen,” Burton said. “He wasn’t necessarily the best QB, the best this or that. He was just simply the most dominant. I saw him every year he played for Madison and what sold me more than anything is how he kept getting better every time I saw him. You saw his talent early, very early. His high school coach Ray Seals told me about him during two-a-days of VYs freshman year. Just in a casual conversation at his practice, Coach Seals said, “Look over here.” I kept up with VY and saw him multiple times. I watched him lose to Katy in the playoffs in the Astrodome his junior year. That game really sticks out to me.”

Young’s high school film was filled with impressive plays on the unmistakable turf of the Astrodome. The Katy game distinguished Young with a remarkable performance against a very good program. Burton tried to see him early in his senior season, but he learned that if you wanted to see Young, you better get there in the first half.

“Katy was a great football team with a great coaching staff,” Burton said. “VY competed hard. He made tough runs and tough throws. So I tried to go see him either the first or second game of his senior season. But I was just going to catch the second half because I wanted to see the first half of another HISD game across town. So, I get there to see VY right at the start of the second half. VY is the guy lining people up on the kickoff. That was the only play he was on the field for the rest of the night. The score was already like 50-0 or something crazy. At that game, I had the back judge come over to me and say, 'You just missed a hell of a display.' So, I had a feeling something special might be going on. I made sure to see VY the next game. And that’s all it took. The flip had switched even more. The next week we did our national rankings and I made him the No. 1 player in the country and never once regretted that decision the rest of the year, or really ever.”

Despite his dominance, college teams had already decided they would move him to a different position once he got to campus. Even Texas was looking at other quarterbacks, but that changed when Tim Brewster came into the picture.

“VY’s actual recruitment makes me laugh,” Burton said. “Most teams had made the decision that VY was a receiver after his junior year. I mean the vast majority, like almost all of them. Teams had made their decisions at QB. Even Texas took a QB named Billy Don Malone out of East Texas. But Tim Brewster fell in love with VY. I mean he was head over heels. Brew kept on Greg Davis until Davis finally said uncle. You have to remember, Davis had preferred more prototypical passing QBs with a guy like Chris Simms. So it took some convincing for Davis. But Coach Davis went to see him as a senior and it was over.”

Despite some shaky moments, Texas was ultimately able to close the deal with the Houston native. Everything culminated during a Texas basketball game Young attended while on a visit.

“I remember when Malone decommitted. Texas coaches were not disappointed. By that time, Texas was in pole position for VY,” Burton said. “Then VY visits and the crowd at the basketball game is chanting for him. He told Texas coaches he was going to Texas underneath the Erwin Center that afternoon. I was told about it early Sunday morning but I had to wait to get a hold of VY because I wanted confirmation on his end. But his Uncle Keith, who ran his recruiting, didn’t pick up. Around noon, I was told he wants to announce on TV in Houston. But by that time, VY lived in an orange house.”

It’s fitting that Young is rated as the highest all-time recruit ever. A Texas legend who many would argue is the greatest to ever wear the uniform, Young spearheaded an insanely talented 2002 recruiting class. His dynamic athleticism was on display from the moment he stepped on campus. While Young struggled as a passer for the first year and a half on campus, once the switch flipped, he was the deadliest weapon in college football.

He finished his career with 6,040 yards and 44 touchdowns passing. He added 3,127 yards and 37 touchdowns on the ground. Young led Texas to a Rose Bowl win over Michigan during the 2004 season and he returned to Pasadena to capture a national title for Texas against USC a year later. A Heisman Trophy finalist, Maxwell Award winner, Manning Award winner, Davey O’Brien Award winner and consensus All-American, Young ended his career as one of the most decorated players in program history.

He’s currently Top 10 all-time in program history in career passing yards, single-season passing yards, career and single-season passing touchdowns, career and single-game rushing yards and career and single-season rushing touchdowns. Young left college following his junior season and was drafted in the first round, No. 3 overall, by the Tennessee Titans. Young was named Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2006 and NFL Comeback Player of the Year in 2009. A two-time Pro Bowl selection, Young’s NFL career fizzled after stints with the Philadelphia Eagles, Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns. Young retired after a short time in the CFL with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders.

22 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Hopefully parlay that into an extra year of eligibility for one or two of them.

Not with those three.

Washington needs to play. There were transfer rumbles already, which isn't surprising with a highly-decorated OOS kid.

Moore hopefully is humbler after a year in the doghouse for being an idiot, but it also means he's used his redshirt. Ditto Lewis in terms of the redshirt being gone, and he's starting off suspended because playing school is hard.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

I’m really excited to see what Washington can do - think he’s gonna be a stud. Honestly if Black coming here takes away from either of him or Eagles playing not sure I love the move. If he can beat those guys out on merit that probably bodes well for us, hopefully this staff is better at making that call than years past (see: Epps, Malcolm).

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

This is the type of situation where aggy has given us a WTF just happened moment..but atleast he didn't announce it unexpectedly.  Here's to him choosing the good guys tomorrow. HookEm

I think it'll be us tomorrow, but I've always had a slight thought this one could be this years aggy commit out of nowhere that we felt good about for a while.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Samples is a recruiting witch.  They should have kept Andre Coleman in his analyst role... not like any school was coming after him.

He will be a hot commodity next year, I’m sure there will be a spot open somewhere (Drayton to NFL, Boulware to RB, Samples to TE?) just thinking out loud

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

He will be a hot commodity next year, I’m sure there will be a spot open somewhere (Drayton to NFL, Boulware to RB, Samples to TE?) just thinking out loud

Frankly, give me Samples as a straight swap at RB if Drayton jumps. Our TEs need a full-time coach who can actually develop. So do the RBs but...not really...