Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

i've been out of the loop on recruiting since after 2020 signing day. what's the deal with SMU gaining steam on some top recruits in the state aside from Samples? i would imagine when it comes to OVs (if it ever does with the virus) that they would realize they would rather play somewhere that has more than around 20k fans at their games, or gives them a shot to compete at the highest level of competition. not necessarily arguing they should choose Texas, but i've been to high school games that have better atmospheres than SMU. 

1 minute ago, saul silver said:

i've been out of the loop on recruiting since after 2020 signing day. what's the deal with SMU gaining steam on some top recruits in the state aside from Samples? i would imagine when it comes to OVs (if it ever does with the virus) that they would realize they would rather play somewhere that has more than around 20k fans at their games, or gives them a shot to compete at the highest level of competition. not necessarily arguing they should choose Texas, but i've been to high school games that have better atmospheres than SMU. 

It's honestly just Samples + Preston Stone committing to them after we took St. Milroe instead 

Just now, trythisathome said:

It's honestly just Samples + Preston Stone committing to them after we took St. Milroe instead 

Preston has juice like that?  Think Samples has proven to be worth his weight in Gold this early into his stay there.  He can recruit any position it seems.  I still like the Coleman hire since he seems to know how to coach.  As mentioned earlier, Samples would be perfect to take over RBs if Stan leaves elsewhere.  Boulware has experience with the coaching part and can help Samples with that while he brings in big fish no matter what position.

15 minutes ago, saul silver said:

i've been out of the loop on recruiting since after 2020 signing day. what's the deal with SMU gaining steam on some top recruits in the state aside from Samples? i would imagine when it comes to OVs (if it ever does with the virus) that they would realize they would rather play somewhere that has more than around 2k fans at their games, or gives them a shot to compete at the highest level of competition. not necessarily arguing they should choose Texas, but i've been to high school games that have better atmospheres than SMU. 

FIFY

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: News and Notes to send you into the weekend

Spoiler

Mike at Night: News and Notes to send you into the weekend

MikeRoach
STAFF

—Four-star DL Jordon Thomas announced today he'd be making a commitment tomorrow. Thomas previously cut his list down to finalists Texas A&M and Texas and announced his intentions to decide in the fall. It appears Thomas is ready to make a decision and will announce tomorrow around noon. I've had my pick on Texas for quite a while in this recruitment and have no reason to move it as of now. Thomas is a name I've heard that Texas commits have been working hard in the last few weeks.

—Texas lost out on a couple of south Dallas players today when Skyline's Isaiah Nwokobia committed to SMU and South Oak Cliff's Jaydon Williams committed to Arizona State. While this may appear to be more struggles for Texas in D-FW, I think the winds are changing. Nwokobia was being recruited by SMU longer than he was being recruited by Texas, and he really bought into the hometown pitch. That said, Nwokobia told me a few weeks ago that Chris Ash and Jay Valai did an amazing job recruiting him. Sources at South Oak Cliff echoed the fact that Texas did a great job with Williams even though it didn't work out. Perhaps had this staff been in place longer they'd be in a better spot, but if they keep putting in this same effort in Dallas, things should change.

—If you want evidence that the winds in Dallas are changing, look no further than some of the other prospects the Longhorns are gaining on. I continue to hear that they are right in the mix for JD Coffey, Ishmael Ibraheem and now Deuce Harmon. Outside of those guys, I've heard Texas is gaining ground for Hal Presley and Ketron Jackson. They are likely among the top two schools for Camar Wheaton and I've been told they are among the top three for Morice Blackwell.

—I'll expand more in The Stampede, but I think Texas has a bit of work to do with LJ Johnson. The Longhorns had a call with him today, and the Texas commits are in contact with him all the time. That said, it sounds like Georgia and Texas A&M are standing out with Texas behind. Johnson doesn't plan to rush his timeline and said he wants to take his visits before making the call.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: News and Notes to send you into the weekend

Hide contents

Mike at Night: News and Notes to send you into the weekend

MikeRoach
STAFF

—Four-star DL Jordon Thomas announced today he'd be making a commitment tomorrow. Thomas previously cut his list down to finalists Texas A&M and Texas and announced his intentions to decide in the fall. It appears Thomas is ready to make a decision and will announce tomorrow around noon. I've had my pick on Texas for quite a while in this recruitment and have no reason to move it as of now. Thomas is a name I've heard that Texas commits have been working hard in the last few weeks.

—Texas lost out on a couple of south Dallas players today when Skyline's Isaiah Nwokobia committed to SMU and South Oak Cliff's Jaydon Williams committed to Arizona State. While this may appear to be more struggles for Texas in D-FW, I think the winds are changing. Nwokobia was being recruited by SMU longer than he was being recruited by Texas, and he really bought into the hometown pitch. That said, Nwokobia told me a few weeks ago that Chris Ash and Jay Valai did an amazing job recruiting him. Sources at South Oak Cliff echoed the fact that Texas did a great job with Williams even though it didn't work out. Perhaps had this staff been in place longer they'd be in a better spot, but if they keep putting in this same effort in Dallas, things should change.

—If you want evidence that the winds in Dallas are changing, look no further than some of the other prospects the Longhorns are gaining on. I continue to hear that they are right in the mix for JD Coffey, Ishmael Ibraheem and now Deuce Harmon. Outside of those guys, I've heard Texas is gaining ground for Hal Presley and Ketron Jackson. They are likely among the top two schools for Camar Wheaton and I've been told they are among the top three for Morice Blackwell.

—I'll expand more in The Stampede, but I think Texas has a bit of work to do with LJ Johnson. The Longhorns had a call with him today, and the Texas commits are in contact with him all the time. That said, it sounds like Georgia and Texas A&M are standing out with Texas behind. Johnson doesn't plan to rush his timeline and said he wants to take his visits before making the call.

It's almost as if Mike is responding directly to @satyanash.

• Haha 1

Sorry to wreck y’all’s black panther party as I know y’all really don’t like non recruit fanatics around here, but is there much chatter about Caleb Ellis, 3 star safety out of Frisco? I used to work with his dad and he started to get a lot of interest and offers in the last couple of months. I talked to him last week and he said that Chris Ash has given his son a call. I think his son was favoring Boston College and SMU but sounds like he would really like him to go to Texas if they offered.

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sorry to wreck y’all’s black panther party as I know y’all really don’t like non recruit fanatics around here, but is there much chatter about Caleb Ellis, 3 star safety out of Frisco? I used to work with his dad and he started to get a lot of interest and offers in the last couple of months. I talked to him last week and he said that Chris Ash has given his son a call. I think his son was favoring Boston College and SMU but sounds like he would really like him to go to Texas if they offered.

forrest gump punch gif - Google Search | Black panther party ...

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I've seen that a couple coaches are following him on Twitter. Might need a couple of our DFW DB offers to fall through to get an offer since we're trying to sweep their 7v7 team. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, westexhorn said:

So now that he's committed to USC, whats the story behind him.

He's 3 for 3 now and rolling.  There's no way he's done taking visits which means it's anybody's guess where he commits next.  

39 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

He's 3 for 3 now and rolling.  There's no way he's done taking visits which means it's anybody's guess where he commits next.  

Did you forget that we have no idea how this global pandemic will influence college football moving forward?

Composite has been updated with the new ESPN rankings kicking in.  A few notes:.

Bowman is just a few points away from composite 5*.

Mukuba and Arroyo are now a composite 4*.

Guys like Brooks, King, Williams, and Bounds had increases in about the 50-70 point range.

Davis and Cooks with slight increases.

Blackwell with a good jump.

Harmon dropped, now in low 4* range.

McCutchin continues to drop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Everyone, prepare yourself around noonish. Don’t be alarmed by the sudden boom, or any shaking crockery and cabinet doors. No reason for alarm. It will just be the sonic boom emanating out here f various aggy recruiting websites from the hyper-speed backpedaling they’re doing in regards to Jordan Thomas. 

After Thomas, we just need to nail Clayton Smith and we are set at DE for 21 correct?

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

After Thomas, we just need to nail Clayton Smith and we are set at DE for 21 correct?

I’d think not quite.  They might want a true DT, like Buriss. I’m not sure Thomas grows into a DT, and I’m not sure Clayton Smith grows into an end, although he has the height. 

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. But so did Prince Dorbah. But either way I don’t think the staff will quit on the dline yet. 

I meant just at the DEs positions.  Think the staff obviously has Turner and Burris as DT takes.  From everywhere I've read on here, it seemed Turner was high on us.  Burris is the one that doesn't seem likely at this point (again from what I have been reading).

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I just don’t see Turner ending up at Texas. 

Darius Terrell, who coaches at Desoto, has implied many times that Turner loves Texas.  He wants to take his visits and enjoy the recruiting process.  He once said he doesn’t want to say too much to ruin the kids moment.  My guess is that he will pick Texas when it’s all said and done after he enjoys the process.  Now anything can happen on these visits, so Herman should still recruit the fuck out of him.  Turner doesn’t get enough hype on here.  He’s a beast.

• Like 3

Siap...

The Roundup: Recapping a big week in Texas recruiting

By  MIKE ROACH     21 hours ago

Progress slowed a bit on the recruiting trail when it came to offers this week, but that didn't stop the Longhorns from staying in the recruiting news. Texas hit the state of Louisiana hard with offers this week, and they garnered several new commits.  All that and more in this week's edition of The Roundup.

NEW OFFERS

Baton Rouge (LA) University Lab safety Jardin Gilbert

Bio: A four-star prospect by 247Sports, Gilbert is one of the most sought after recruits in Louisiana. Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, Gilbert is ranked as the No. 24 safety in the nation and No. 12 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

Film: Gilbert has a tremendous frame for the position. He plays both ways and shows good ball skills as a wide receiver. Gilbert shows good read and react instincts and closes on run plays before finishing with strong tackling ability. Gilbert shows good explosive ability and great angles in pursuit. He’s still growing into his frame, but the projectability and explosive traits are there to suggest a high ceiling.

Marrero (LA) John Ehret linebacker Andrew Jones

Bio: Jones is garnering a strong following with several programs standing out. A three-star prospect, Jones holds offers from Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Louisville, Mississippi State, SMU and Texas Tech. At 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, Jones is ranked as the No. 29 inside linebacker in the nation and No. 19 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

Film: Jones jumps off the screen with pure motor and a nose for the ball. Violent and active, Jones has a knack for forcing turnovers and breaking up plays before they can develop. Relentless in pursuit, Jones takes strong angles and shows great fundamental tackling ability. Though he might be considered undersized for the position, Jones is a human highlight reel.

Fairfax (VA) Robinson Secondary offensive tackle Tristan Leigh

Bio: Leigh is one of the top prospects in the country. The five-star offensive tackle holds offers from Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Penn State, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and many others. At 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, Leigh is ranked as the No. 4 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 2 overall prospect in Virginia, according to 247Sports Composite.

Film: Leigh has a strong frame with great length and good feet. He plays in a run heavy option offense and primarily run blocks on game film. Leigh moves well and shows the ability to engage defenders in space. Leigh overpowers opponents once he gets his hands on them. He shows a tenacious motor and a strong mean streak.

New Orleans (LA) Warren Easton WR Casey Cain

Bio: Cain is starting to generate some interest from bigger programs around the nation. A three-star prospect, Cain holds offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Virginia and Tulane. At 6-foot-2, 175 pounds, Cain is ranked as the No. 129 wide receiver in the nation and No. 21 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

Film: Cain has a strong frame with good length and room to add weight. He shows good aerial ability and body control when tracking passes, and he shows good hands. Cain shows the ability to move the chains and push defenses vertically. Cain is still raw athletically, but he shows natural receiving ability that can be built on.

Lafayette (La) Comeaux WR Malik Nabers

Bio: Nabers is one of the top prospects in Louisiana with an offer list fitting of a top prospect in the country. A four-star receiver, Nabers holds offers from Auburn, Georgia, Miami, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon and Penn State. At 6-feet, 190 pounds, Nabers is ranked as the No. 45 wide receiver in the nation and No. 8 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

Film: Nabers shows strong initial explosion off the line of scrimmage and strong jump ball ability. Nabers displays strong hands at the catch point and superior athleticism with explosion and bounce. Nabers has good long speed with small space quickness and the acceleration to to run away from defenders once he is behind them.

Duncanville OL Jaylen Early (2022)

Bio: Early is on the rise after debuting in the 2022 Top247 last month. The four-star prospect holds offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Florida State, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State and Oklahoma. At 6-foot-4, 260 pounds, Early is ranked as the No. 20 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 27 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

Film: Early shows great quickness off the line of scrimmage and moves second level easily. Early shows the ability to pull and strike defenders violently. He shows a tenacious motor and strong aggression to finish his man once he locks on at the point of attack. Early shows strong run blocking ability and limited pass-blocking experience.

Scranton (PA) Lackawanna Community College CB De'Jahn Warren

Bio: The Top JUCO prospect in the country is a highly wanted man. A four-star prospect, Warren holds offers from Maryland, Oklahoma, Penn State, Alabama, Auburn and many others. At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Warren is ranked as the No. 1 JUCO cornerback in the country and No. 1 overall JUCO prospect in the country, according to 247Sports Composite.

Film: Warren has a strong frame with great length and room to add more weight. He shows incredible ball skills and elite body control Warren shows strong athleticism and great speed. He plays press coverage with active hands and quick feet. Harris shows great physicality on the boundary and hits with reckless abandon. Warren should be able to contribute right away at any college in the country.

TOP SCHOOLS

Mansfield Summit WR Hal Presley

The three-star wide receiver announced a Top 10 this week.  Texas made the cut along with Arkansas, Baylor, California, Louisville, Ole Miss, Michigan, Michigan State, USC, and Utah.  Texas and Baylor appear to be the two schools surging most for Presley right now.  Presley plans to take his time with the decision after making his visits, but he would like to have his commitment done before the start of the season.

COMMITMENTS

Humble Atascocita TE Landen King

Landen King became the newest member of the 2021 class when he made his commitment on Sunday.  King chose Texas over offers from major programs such as Alabama, Georgia, Washington, Oregon and Texas A&M.  King's skillset as a vertical threat from the tight end position can add a new element to the Texas offense.  247Sports' Gabe Brooks has more on King's skillset and how he might develop in the future.

Michigan graduate transfer wide receiver Tarik Black

Texas added a contributor for 2020 when Tarik Black announced he would be transferring to Texas.  Black comes to Austin after three years in Ann Arbor where he struggled to stay on the field due to injury.  A fresh start and more potent offense could be just what Black needs to rebound in his career.  Black will have two years to play one with the possibility of a medical redshirt.

Pflugerville Connally cornerback Jahdae Barron

Barron announced today he would be enrolling at Texas after receiving a release from Baylor.  Barron is immediately eligible to play at Texas and talked about why he chose Texas after asking for his release.  Barron joins Kitan Crawford as the second cornerback in the 2020 class, and his commitment pushed Texas up one spot to the No. 8 position in the 247Sports team rankings. 247Sports' Gabe Brooks has more on what Barron brings to Texas.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-The-Roundup-offers-top-schools-commitments-Tarik-Black-Andrew-Jones-Landen-King-Hal-Presley-146688781/#146688781_8

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Darius Terrell, who coaches at Desoto, has implied many times that Turner loves Texas.  He wants to take his visits and enjoy the recruiting process.  He once said he doesn’t want to say too much to ruin the kids moment.  My guess is that he will pick Texas when it’s all said and done after he enjoys the process.  Now anything can happen on these visits, so Herman should still recruit the fuck out of him.  Turner doesn’t get enough hype on here.  He’s a beast.

He's the one who is on the pod with Baizer, right? If so I heard the same thing from him.  He also said that Clayton Smith was high on Texas but they hadn't really kept the communication lines open.. however this was months ago.  Think this class would be set with Sanders, Thomas, Smith and Harris (who I think will end up playing DE not LB in due time.)

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Everyone, prepare yourself around noonish. Don’t be alarmed by the sudden boom, or any shaking crockery and cabinet doors. No reason for alarm. It will just be the sonic boom emanating out of various aggy recruiting websites from the hyper-speed backpedaling they’re doing in regards to Jordan Thomas. 

Is this the sound sheep fear most?

shocked stop motion GIF by Aardman Animations

Edited by stork642
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'm still salty about losing Landon Jackson to a bunch of jackwagons. We need to keep Top 10 talent in state. Herman needs to revenge fuck LSU.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Think Turner and Thomas are pretty close.  Have visited the same time a couple of times.

• Like 1