Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The consensus today is that Johnson is aggys to lose and Wheaton will end up at Texas or blOU. "Outside shots" rarely pan out, so I'm not giving SMU a chance there. Because no one knows with Wheaton, it would be fair to say 50/50, but there's no way of knowing. 

Nahlin said today:

I, er..., do buy it. I don't think they're going to have a good shot at pulling in an RB1 caliber back other than Johnson/Wheaton at this stage of the game. Maybe Henderson hates Columbus when he finally visits and the door is opened, but outside of Henderson, it doesn't appear that we're recruiting anyone. Only Donovan Edwards, Wheaton and Johnson remain uncommitted from our 2021 offers. Edwards was an offer to try to get a visit. Clemson took Mafah and Shipley, and maybe we're still after Mafah but he's their RB2 take and would be redundant to Brooks for us. If we're only recruiting Johnson, Wheaton, and Henderson, I think they're okay with only taking Brooks if we whiff on all three. And that's the right play, imo. 

Don't disagree with anything you posted above, especially about not recruiting a rb other than brooks if they miss on those three.  I just don't think it's an even 50/50 for Wheaton with OU, and its not in our favor. I know the guy is somewhat reserved to the 9.95ers and doesn't tip his hand, but something just smells like OU here.

Mr. Wheaton if you are reading this; I am a complete dumbshit, please come prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Malpractice. 

There are plenty of other good RB across the country who are better than Brooks. Offer and recruit them. Settling for Brooks as the only RB take would be a horrible decision, especially when we’ve only taken 1 RB (who will actually contribute) per class for 3 straight years. 

For the sake of numbers, I'll disagree. I think it will be challenging to get to 85 with the size of the outgoing class and TH has not shown he will pull the trap door lever. I think you use that spot for a late rising corner, or to take Jonathan Jones/Ezra types that should be locked down instead of kept warm. Any potential value from an RB1 in this class can be added in 2022 or through the portal because I don't believe Ingram will declare. 

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Having a 50/50 shot at each does not guarantee we get one. 

Tex:  25% shot we get both! Yay!

Satya:  25% shot we get neither ... fuck fuck fuckity fuck!

Surly:  Can we instead find a guy with >9" hands, who prefers Stanford?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Iwunnah and Jones are perfect spread DL guys and both have massive upside. Go get them both now — keep recruiting Turner to the end but go get these two to go along with Harris, Thomas, and Sanders. Fuck. Yes. \m/ 

let’s go. 

6'4" 275 and competes in discus and TRIPLE JUMP????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, golfclap said:

After his workouts in Houston with the aggy and Sooner DL guys and then the embarrassing showing he had at the OL/DL matchup in Houston what he should be worried about is Ohio State ghosting his ass and recruiting over him. Dude lost 30 pounds at the bequest of his idiot handlers, and didn't pick up any speed or quickness. He got worked the fuck over by Hayden Conner and Kelvin Banks to the point that he avoided doing any more reps with them and was least effective of any DL prospect at the camp. At 265 with a decent frame - he should be a guy willing to play outside and then inside on passing downs. He is unwilling and being told that he is a "rush end/OLB combo" and got down to a VERY slow footed 235-- just look at these clips and tell me you see anything that resembles sudden from Ole Tunimese. I'd guess that his recent shit talking on twitter was in answer to guys getting to work with him again and talking A LOT of shit to him because he's an asshole. I could 100% see him dropped by tOSU and ending up in the aggy class. the classic high rated 4* fading his SR year take by aggy. 

He's the navy blue shirt in these clips. He's the slowest footed of any of them and that includes several 3* spares that weigh 100 pounds more than he does  :: 

and the only time he competed on camera in this clip he gets stoned by Hayden Connor - this was after several losses to both Banks and Connor. At this point he basically quit competing. 

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/1bc4fd65-0516-4510-acb9-6889c3cb5c22

we should go get that Chase Cable guy...def the best OL in that video...lolol

12 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin still thinks we land one of them, and that LJ (swamp aggy legacy) has LSU running 3rd behind aggy and Texas. Wheaton is probably more realistic, but it's not really worth projecting anything there because any info is either wishcasting or contrived

Wheaton would be my guess to land in Austin. 

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Texas commits and targets in Top247 update

— There was an update for offensive prospects in the 2021 Top247 today. Texas commits didn’t see any big moves and were mostly part of slight adjustments. Jalen Milroe dropped from 97 to 101 due to some other prospects moving up. One of those prospects was Texas A&M commit Eli Stowers who moved up from No. 117 to No. 99. I was a bit surprised that Stowers made that jump with the injury uncertainty surrounding him, but our evaluators feel he has some special physical gifts. That’s tough for me to argue with as Stowers is a great athlete, and it’s not a surprise to see him and Milroe ranked similarly. I think both are still largely projection candidates, but I have more faith in Milroe as a passer after seeing both several times last season. This stuff will sort itself out in the fall.

— No other Texas commits really factored in at this point, but there was some other movement I found interesting. Baylor commit Tate Williams made a big jump from 222 to 135. The small school prospect is a very interesting athlete, and I know Texas was evaluating him before he made his commitment to the Bears, so he might be one to watch moving forward.

— Del Valle running back Tavierre Dunlap made a big leap from No. 306 to No. 221. The local prospect has been on a steady rise, and there’s a ton to like from his film. Texas is engaged with Camar Wheaton and LJ Johnson in heated races, but Dunlap might be a player to watch down the stretch as an option for them.

— Garland Lakeview Centennial center Ezra Oyetade made the jump from unranked to No. 241. Regardless of what happens with James and Tommy Brockermeyer, this is a kid I’d like to see Texas move on. He can play center or guard and is a plus athletically. I think there’s still time for Texas to make a move here, but I’d like to see them get into it before they are considered “too late” to offer.

Eric Nahlin: Recruiting/Team Q&A: 6/17/20

How were early reports on the teams conditioning?

They look to be in good shape but this week is when we’ll know more about conditioning as they do physical testing and workouts. Last week they did what was written in the Humidor - it was more testing to get them ready for physical activity.

is ol recruiting a herb hand problem or a process problem or both or what in the ****

Enough blame to go around, but obviously Herb shoulders significant blame for the way his unit played at times. It’s sort of a team wide issue to hold on to recruitments too long at the detriment to lining up contingencies.

Are Jonathan Jones & Ike Iwunnah both committable offers/takes in the staff's eyes this summer? Or are they more wait & see with space left for other guys

More wait and see but that isn’t to say they’d tell those two ‘no’ if they wanted to commit. It benefits the staff with offers like these that visits haven’t been made yet.

What's your confidence level on the Brockermeyer's today?

It’s dropping. I don’t trust the team to operate well through adversity. The flipside is, if they do win in Baton Rouge it should springboard their psyche.

Do you know why the staff doesn't feel like pursuing Albert Regis? Didn't see him in person before all this? Just can't believe his movement isn't appealing.

They were supposed to contact him but never did. Maybe they decided to go after Iwunnah instead. That kid should definitely have an offer, though. He’s somewhere between Poona and Chris Nelson as a player.

What’s the staff guess on our w/l record today?

9-3 is mine. Ask me in late August.

Who are the 3 losses?

LSU and the Oklahomas.

So, the good teams. That would be disappointing.

Yes, much less disappointing when they lose to the teams they should beat. But I get what you’re saying. They could lose to Iowa State again, I suppose, but it took a tremendous turtling for that to happen this past year.

Does that get Herman ****canned?

Why are you taking my prediction like it’s for sure going to happen? The team should go 11-1. Maybe they will.

Why is your confidence dropping?

Because I’ve seen Herman come very close to losing two teams already (2017, 2019) and this one doesn’t seem easy to hold together.

What do you expect from Wiley and Liebrock as players, and how soon?

I think Wiley is going to be good this season, but I’ve been high on him from the very beginning. Liebrock could be good in a receiving role this year but he’s still a bit unknown as a blocker. He’s not really a guy you move around as a blocker, at least not yet.

I was looking at our freshman for this year and I think I only see 1 or 2 who will need to contribute immediately. Bijan, and Broughton, thoughts?

Shouldn’t need much help from that class. I wrote about it recently.

Who is the next commit? Who is the next offer?

The next offer will be a 2022 player from out-of-state, I bet. If they could get Terrence Cooks off his timeline, maybe him. It wouldn’t be super surprising. We’d heard of the possibility of Jaden Alexis committing prior to visiting so if he committed out of nowhere it wouldn’t be a shock.

Assume for the sake of conversation that it becomes common for programs to flat-out buy players using NIL, and the NCAA doesn’t do anything about it. Do you predict Texas will play that game? Or will we just let players capitalize on their actual market value, but not use NIL as a sham way to have boosters buy players?

What is UT’s say in that? If someone owns a Burnt Orange F-250 dealership and wants to hire players to advertise what is UT going to do? They should be thanking those boosters. They’d never ask boosters to pay recruits in that manner but there would be no point in stopping them if it was okay as the rules are written.

Is the plan to take 5 on the OL?

It was, but maybe four is the number. Fudward said long ago, take four and then if the Brocks want in take six. That’s the right approach. In the olden days you’d want about 18 OL on the roster but with the portal you can get by with less. It’s actually more efficient for the roster because OL typically take up a lot of space but only play a couple of years. If you totaled up all the years of OL eligibility and then divided by actual years of playing time, that ratio would look way different than other positions with heavy numbers. So you can cheat the process with Jucos, or more ideally, portal players.

How are Hagen and the Shemar Turner recruitment doing?

That recruitment is going fine but you’re just trying to stay neck and neck in the lead pack. Late decision. I think staying close to home will win out but I don’t know how the season will go. Thankfully the DL should be very good.

How strict are the coaches going to be with players venturing out of the UT "bubble", considering that one or two positive COVID tests could derail a game (and a possibly a season)?

They’re already pretty strict with guys who are positive or their roommates. I don’t know about socializing like a college student normally would, yet. I imagine they’ll try and put a crimp on that but I haven’t heard anything. That’s worth me asking about.

Been thinking about Jalen (Jay?) Green a bit. How you think he might do this year under Ash’s scheme? Any lingering issues with his shoulder?

I haven’t heard anything since they’ve been back. I’ll ask about his shoulder. If it’s still bothering him that would be a concern. I’m with Herman in thinking Green and Jamison have huge long-term potential. Green just has a tad bit of stiffness I didn’t diagnose in high school but he’s physical and can run.

Are you sure that LSU isn't a threat for a RB named LJ?

I wouldn’t say they aren’t a threat, I just think he’ll end up at A&M or UT.

So is the staff simply not going to pursue Sturdivant? Still can't figure that one out based on the current state of our WR recruiting

They waited too long and then they realized they waited too long. They don’t see him and Presly as being all that different. Baylor will be happy to hear that.

If we land Coffey and Mukuba, is Lemear still a take?

I don’t believe so, but the staff will keep the relationship as a contingency.

I would think Sam could hold this team together and get confidence high. I would think we should have veteran leaders in place this year. Ossai and Coburn as well.

The amount of stuff on Sam’s shoulders is staggering. And he stays strong.

What is your confidence level that Texas will play a full season as of today, given a recent resurgence of COVID? Does 50% capacity at DKR sound about right, or are they pushing for more?

I think they will play a full football season, but I struggled with high school science. They’re not pushing for more than 50% at this time, they’re just hoping for more. Who knows what things look like in mid to late August.

Are we just going to ride out the Johnson and Wheaton recruitments with the chance we're left at the altar, or are they putting any contingencies in place that aren't wishcasting?

There’s some talk they could just take one RB. I’m not buying it, especially since Brooks is more RB2. The instate crop isn’t good beyond the first two. They’re still more likely than not to add one of Johnson or Wheaton, imo.

Are ya'll able to tell us why the relationship soured with Quay? Skyline Curse?

We’ve been mentioning his lack of maturity makes it unlikely he sticks at the first place he signs. He’ll have a significant tumble in my July rankings.

Is it Kerstetter or bust at center? Any chance of a legit competition with Ghirmai?

If Ghirmai is at center it means right tackle is a train wreck and I don’t foresee that. Ghirmai isn’t beating out Kerstetter, no chance.

Seems like the team should’ve came together with the recent events and how progressive they’re being with making changes. Herman is right there with them. Why does it seem like the team will be hard to hold together?

I don’t think a protest in June will hold this team together in September or October. Because it’s been hard to hold together in the past. If they have success then they could be off the races. Earned confidence could take them a long way.

Next question: When you want to think of something positive for this season, what is the first thing you think about?

Depth. Talented players in the right schemes.

Can you unpack why he has trouble keeping them together? Is this a “winning cures everything” thing? Does he fundamentally misunderstand how to manage players?

You guys would make great corners because you have short memories:

- Very demanding culture (okay if you win)
- no good cops offsetting bad cops (okay if you win)
- poor coaching from a technical standpoint
- poor scheming
- poor handling of meritocracy

When players are for the most part doing what’s asked of them yet they’re not put in position to succeed you’re going to lose them. This is where the ‘winning cures all’ comes in. But that requires good coaching and scheming, which was also missing from the equation. Team leadership and unity could have been better last year too. One source recently voiced concerns over lack of unity being a problem again because the players have spent so little time together. My biggest question mark heading into the season is Tom Herman. If he’s somehow won you over at this point the burden of proof is on you, not me.

What are y’all thought about folks stepping up at WR? They all have ability but many times it was Duv or bust last year. That’s the group I worry about

Other than running back, receiver is the easiest position to get up to speed the fastest. There’s not as much experience as you’d like but plenty of talent. A senior QB with good accuracy will help them quite a bit. So will improved coaching. With Moore coming back and the addition of Tarik Black and Troy Omeire, they should be solid, if not downright good.

What has been behind the substantial weight gain of Keo Ingram? Is there any insight on the coaching staff, strength conditioning staff, health and nutrition staff, etc, influencing him to gain so much weight? On the opposite view, are any of those departments advising him to now lose weight? I really do not see Ingram playing at his best while weighing 236 pounds. To me, he should not weigh more than 225. I think that weight would allow him to play at his best.

When do you want him to weigh 225? Now or in September/October? If he weighed 225 now he’d peel it off in August.

What's behind this? Is it just straightforward playing favorites? But why would a player become a "favorite" if not performing? Is it a concern about the portal? Seems like this shouldn't be that hard, so what's driving it?

The portal is a big issue. Striking a balance between what’s said while recruiting and the reality of that recruit’s situation now. Recruits get frustrated. Some parents are a pain in the ass. Some positions have an odd man out that is starter quality. Not always playing the player who graded the best. It all circles back to the portal. And it really circles back to not winning.

One more hypothetical question. How many Texas players get drafted next year?

I’m not sure Kerstetter gets drafted but I think he can be an NFL center. It being his first season does him no favors. Cosmi, Ehlinger, and Ossai are obvious to me. Sterns needs a bounce back season and that requires projection, though not a big one. Edit: Maybe Coburn. I would go under 6.5 being drafted.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So is the staff simply not going to pursue Sturdivant? Still can't figure that one out based on the current state of our WR recruiting

They waited too long and then they realized they waited too long. They don’t see him and Presly as being all that different. Baylor will be happy to hear tha

He ran a 4.31 shuttle at 177 pounds. I think I know why Texas waited. 

28 minutes ago, satyanash said:

If we land Coffey and Mukuba, is Lemear still a take?

I don’t believe so, but the staff will keep the relationship as a contingency.

Wrong. 

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That kid should definitely have an offer, though. He’s somewhere between Poona and Chris Nelson as a player.

He was 245 pound FB last year. His upside is as a disrupter in the LaRoi Glover mold - dicing between slow interior guys with his excellent quickness. There is nothing other than being a hard worker that compares to Poona in any way. Jesus WTF? 

Caden Sterns is getting drafted. FFS Nahlin stop listening to The Cure and teen angsting everything you write. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, Nahlin has been emo as fuck this offseason.

I agree more with Burton when it comes to the OL. Herman has done a great job turning that group around since he got here.  Now it's up to Hand to coach them to their strengths.

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, Nahlin has been emo as fuck this offseason.

Eric's been pretty negative, but objectively that's probably one of the most inarguable points to be made (in regards to Herman holding the team together this fall. Not sure if Satya's post actually referenced that part of the Q&A). This team is a powder keg and Herman hasn't exactly shown himself to always have his hand on the pulse of things. If there is ANY optimism, it's maybe his hiring of 2 coordinators and embracing the role of building relationships with his players happened just in time, as long as he has no missteps with these issues. But objectively, looking at it, this team is literally 4 minefields stacked on top of an acme dynamite plant, right next door to a fuel depot. Chances are pretty high that something will be miscommunicated and things will spiral out of control at some point. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
Clarification
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eric's been pretty negative, but objectively that's probably one of the most inarguable points to be made. This team is a powder keg and Herman hasn't exactly shown himself to always have his hand on the pulse of things. If there is ANY optimism, it's maybe his hiring of 2 coordinators and embracing the role of building relationships with his players happened just in time, as long as he has no missteps with these issues. But objectively, looking at it, this team is literally 4 minefields stacked on top of an acme dynamite plant, right next door to a fuel depot. Chances are pretty high that something will be miscommunicated and things will spiral out of control at some point. 

this might all be true but really he's just butthurt because: ZOMG bEastTexas Landon Jackson and Clayton Smith. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

this might all be true but really he's just butthurt because: ZOMG bEastTexas Landon Jackson and Clayton Smith. 

Lol. You're conflating Nahlin and Wells, at least to a degree. Wells is the guy with the East Texas jizz perpetually dripping down his chin. While it does look like Jackson and Smith broke Nahlin to a degree, it wasn't because of any Beast Texas bullshit. That's the balls that wells strokes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. You're conflating Nahlin and Wells, at least to a degree. Wells is the guy with the East Texas jizz perpetually dripping down his chin. While it does look like Jackson and Smith broke Nahlin to a degree, it wasn't because of any Beast Texas bullshit. That's the balls that wells strokes. 

Well fuck. It appears I have a katfid problem with 9.95ers.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Can someone explain his answer to the Brockermeyer question? It seems like he is saying that the Brockermeyers will only go to UT if UT wins (CC?, playoffs?, NC?). But Nahlin's confidence in them is dropping because he doesn't think the team will win. But if Texas wins early against LSU, he expects us to win a lot of games. If I got that right, I think it is a stupid take. LSU will be one of the top 2 teams we face in the regular season. So, yeah, if we beat them, we should do pretty well. OTOH, we sucked last year after LSU not so much due to psyche but due to injuries and Orlando.

It’s dropping. I don’t trust the team to operate well through adversity. The flipside is, if they do win in Baton Rouge it should springboard their psyche.

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eric's been pretty negative, but objectively that's probably one of the most inarguable points to be made (in regards to Herman holding the team together this fall. Not sure if Satya's post actually referenced that part of the Q&A). This team is a powder keg and Herman hasn't exactly shown himself to always have his hand on the pulse of things. If there is ANY optimism, it's maybe his hiring of 2 coordinators and embracing the role of building relationships with his players happened just in time, as long as he has no missteps with these issues. But objectively, looking at it, this team is literally 4 minefields stacked on top of an acme dynamite plant, right next door to a fuel depot. Chances are pretty high that something will be miscommunicated and things will spiral out of control at some point. 

You and Looch must have the same inside source..  Looch was saying the same thing 3 years ago, but never went into full detail into what his person was hearing.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Can someone explain his answer to the Brockermeyer question? It seems like he is saying that the Brockermeyers will only go to UT if UT wins (CC?, playoffs?, NC?). But Nahlin's confidence in them is dropping because he doesn't think the team will win. But if Texas wins early against LSU, he expects us to win a lot of games. If I got that right, I think it is a stupid take. LSU will be one of the top 2 teams we face in the regular season. So, yeah, if we beat them, we should do pretty well. OTOH, we sucked last year after LSU not so much due to psyche but due to injuries and Orlando.

He’s just saying with everything going on he doesn’t see it likely that Texas fulfills it’s potential with all the distractions. Which is a life than fair statement. But if we beat LSU maybe we crystallize as a team. But if we lose we probably spiral again. 

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I take it as the Brockermeyer's are going to commit to Bama' sometime before the season, but if we win we can potentially flip them.  I bet they still take visits/OV's if they do commit.