Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yup, now the portal talk is beginning. 

Wells thinks mississaggy

I was just looking at their schedule ... ESPN FPI gives the aggies an 85% chance at Miss State, which I think is overly optimistic.  If he has to leave, would be nice to watch him beat the ags.  (May need to sit out a year, though.)

13 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I was just looking at their schedule ... ESPN FPI gives the aggies an 85% chance at Miss State, which I think is overly optimistic.  If he has to leave, would be nice to watch him beat the ags.  (May need to sit out a year, though.)

can we wave the sit out a year thing in this case?

28 minutes ago, CL Horn said:

If I recall, Cook started out the highest ranked corner in that corner class...was rumored to Ohio st for a while...drop off a little bit...then landed him. Disappointing but looks like he got passed up/wasn't starting. 

Yeah he was a 5 star at one point, I believe.

28 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yeah he was a 5 star at one point, I believe.

Classic dude who physically topped out early. Not to say he wasn't really good and useful depth for us, but he wants more than that and I think can achieve that at a smaller program. 

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I seem to recall Cook was allowed to be extremely physical with receivers in high school and it was discussed that he would need to adapt in college because the officials wouldn't let him get away with that type of play. 

Yep. EJ mentioned this. EJ also positioned him as the number one CB in the country. "He's a technician," IIRC. Cook may have thrived if he was in Ash's scheme from the beginning of his career, but his lack of top-end speed and reliance on "handsy play" may have doomed him regardless. 

• Like 1

I seem to recall Cook was allowed to be extremely physical with receivers in high school and it was discussed that he would need to adapt in college because the officials wouldn't let him get away with that type of play. 

Yup he was handsy in high school and as a result I never understood why he was rated so high.

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yup he was handsy in high school and as a result I never understood why he was rated so high.

He didn't have great size or speed but had good technique and was (too) physical at the line and beyond 5 yards. From the beginning, much of the board and I preferred the potential of Green.

Nick Harris: Four-star safety Andrew Mukuba in no rush to make decision

Austin LBJ was a hotspot for college coaches before the pandemic struck as four-star cornerback Latrell McCutchin was creating national attention and four-star safety Andrew Mukuba was starting what ended up being a huge spring on the recruiting trail. They have since returned to the field for limited strength and conditioning workouts as Mukuba will look to cap off his high school career on a positive note in 2020. "Everything is going good, everyone is bought in," Mukuba said. "Everyone is showing up which is good."

Mukuba's recruitment has turned into a national battle as Texas, Clemson, LSU, Georgia and Alabama are all vying for the four-star safety. Clemson has proven to be the biggest competition to Texas in recent months as he has established a solid relationship with numerous coaches on their defensive staff. "Clemson is one of my top schools," he said. "I talk to [defensive coordinator] Coach [Brent] Venables a lot and I talk to [safeties] Coach [Mickey] Conn on FaceTime a lot. I'm definitely going to take a visit there when things open back up."

Speaking of visits, Mukuba plans to be busy whenever the NCAA lifts the emergency dead period for in-person recruiting as he would like to get out to a good chunk of his top 12 schools. "I want to get out to LSU, UCLA, Arkansas, Michigan State, Texas but I can go there any time," Mukuba said. "I want to get to Arizona State, TCU and Clemson of course too."

On how he plans to maneuver his official visits, it will all depend on when he is able to go out to take visits and how it lines up with when he plans to sign. "It just depends how the NCAA treats COVID-19," he said. "I'm just gonna base it off of that. If we have to wait, I'll probably take a couple of officials. But if it opens up soon, I'll take unofficials and base my decision off of that."

Communication with Texas remains strong as they have made Mukuba a top priority target on defense. The Longhorns already have one safety in the 2021 class with Kennedale four-star safety JD Coffey already committed, but will look to add a second safety before making the class official. "Texas is a school that is on me tough," Mukuba said. "I talk to [defensive coordinator] Coach [Chris] Ash a lot and Coach [Tom] Herman hits me up all of the time so my relationship with Texas is pretty close. We talk football, what's going on in life and what's going on in my recruiting process."

It seems as though the new staff changes in January have made a difference for Mukuba as the energy and realism have been a positive force driving Texas in the right direction in his recruitment. "I really like the new coaching staff," he said. "They're way different than the old coaching staff, they will be real with you and let you know how it is."

Mukuba is no rush to make a decision as he will look to take his visits before sitting down to come to a choice. As a result, this will most likely be a recruitment that goes on past the early signing period and into February, assuming the signing periods do not get moved around. "I'm going to take my visits before I make a decision," Mukuba said. "I don't feel like it's fair to make my decision based off only the ones I've taken. I owe every school so I'll go to every school I'm interested in before I make my decision."

At 6-foot-0, 185 pounds, Mukuba is the No. 239 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2021, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 12 ranked safety in the country and the No. 40 ranked recruit in Texas.

• Like 3

(Justin Wells) Recruiting: Albert Regis talks Texas, visits, and that time he ran the 100 meters

It was the offer Albert Regis was waiting for. When UT called the 2021 LaPorte DT, it was a game-changer. The 6-foot-1, 300-pound four-star and former Minnesota pledge has always had his eyes on Austin. Now he's eager to learn more. “I don’t know much, but I know it’s a fun environment and a great community," Regis said. "It's Texas."

UT defensive line coach Mark Hagen runs the recruitment and has already made a positive impression on Regis. He knows what he needs at the next level. “A great college where they care for me after football and in the classroom," said Regis. "Just honest with me all the time.”

On the field, he makes plays. His pursuit and motor are ideal, plus his versatility and feet are unique. He played tight end and fullback on offense, even garnering first team All-District at TE in 2019. But his track exploits really stand out. He throws the shot put and discus, while also running in the 4x1 and 100m. As a sophomore, he clocked a 11.53 100m. Yeah. “I was surprised myself," Regis said with a laugh. "They threw me in the first heat and I just ran and got 2nd place."

UT will battle Tennessee, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, and Virginia Tech for his services, but the Horns clearly have his attention. He doesn't have a timeline, and really wants to take a few visits before making his decision. Seeing Austin is a priority. He's in the mold of Poona Ford and Chris Nelson. If he can match their game, he'll be a fan favorite too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yep. EJ mentioned this. EJ also positioned him as the number one CB in the country. "He's a technician," IIRC. Cook may have thrived if he was in Ash's scheme from the beginning of his career, but his lack of top-end speed and reliance on "handsy play" may have doomed him regardless. 

EJ admitted that Cook was one of his favorite recruits he ever covered -- EJ claimed that they were great friends...

High floor, not necessarily a high ceiling due to the step of speed and quickness required in the step up to CFB.  Good kid, with strong academics -- facing his first challenge at possibly not being the elite athlete everyone thought he was.

Good Luck Anthony!!

• Like 4

Horns 247 / Gabe Brooks / New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas

Spoiler

New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas
ByGABE BROOKS

Texas has gained the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead in the recruitment of four-star defensive tackle Albert Regis from La Porte (Texas) High School in the Houston area. Regis committed April 29 to Minnesota, but re-opened his recruitment May 25.

Since then, the 6-foot-1, 300-pounder has reported offers from Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Texas, in chronological order. The offer from the Longhorns, which arrived this past Friday, is a needle-mover for Regis, according to a couple of sources. I added Tuesday pick on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Texas to land Regis.

My forecast joins predictions in the last few days from 247Sports Director of Football Recruiting Steve Wiltfong and Horns247.com insider Mike Roach. Each of their Crystal Ball picks accompanies a confidence score of 5, which is in the medium range. My pick is a 4, which also qualifies for medium (4-6, with 7-9 being high).

This situation does not necessarily seem like anything is imminent, and it's worth mentioning that it's not completely clear if Texas A&M is prioritizing Regis with other targets at the position. But we know that Texas wants Regis and there's enough mutual interest there to put in a pick at this time.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Regis as a high three-star recruit ranked 33rd nationally among 2021 defensive tackle prospects and No. 71 overall in the state of Texas for his class. However, Regis is a Top247 four-star prospect ranked No. 215 overall in his class, No. 15 among 2021 D-tackles, and 35th overall in the Lone Star State.

Regis is an intriguing defensive line prospect who will best fit a four-man front and one-gap scheme that allows him to be a playmaker. He primarily played tight end as a junior and earned first-team all-district honors at the Texas Class 6A level. His functional athleticism -- and a promising 11.5 100-meter time as a sophomore weighing 250-plus pounds -- should translate well to a full-time move to the defensive line.

2 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Regis on the left, he told Nahlin he’s up to 300 lbs.

751F727F-EDBC-47EB-857E-AAFCB4B8F29A.jpeg

His face almost looks like it was pasted on the body. But yeah, if he's anywhere close to his athleticism he showed in his huddle, he's our 2021 Tyler Owens, and aggy should get prepared for a meteoric rise.

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Gabe Brooks / New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas

Reveal hidden contents

New 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas
ByGABE BROOKS

Texas has gained the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead in the recruitment of four-star defensive tackle Albert Regis from La Porte (Texas) High School in the Houston area. Regis committed April 29 to Minnesota, but re-opened his recruitment May 25.

Since then, the 6-foot-1, 300-pounder has reported offers from Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Texas, in chronological order. The offer from the Longhorns, which arrived this past Friday, is a needle-mover for Regis, according to a couple of sources. I added Tuesday pick on the 247Sports Crystal Ball for Texas to land Regis.

My forecast joins predictions in the last few days from 247Sports Director of Football Recruiting Steve Wiltfong and Horns247.com insider Mike Roach. Each of their Crystal Ball picks accompanies a confidence score of 5, which is in the medium range. My pick is a 4, which also qualifies for medium (4-6, with 7-9 being high).

This situation does not necessarily seem like anything is imminent, and it's worth mentioning that it's not completely clear if Texas A&M is prioritizing Regis with other targets at the position. But we know that Texas wants Regis and there's enough mutual interest there to put in a pick at this time.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Regis as a high three-star recruit ranked 33rd nationally among 2021 defensive tackle prospects and No. 71 overall in the state of Texas for his class. However, Regis is a Top247 four-star prospect ranked No. 215 overall in his class, No. 15 among 2021 D-tackles, and 35th overall in the Lone Star State.

Regis is an intriguing defensive line prospect who will best fit a four-man front and one-gap scheme that allows him to be a playmaker. He primarily played tight end as a junior and earned first-team all-district honors at the Texas Class 6A level. His functional athleticism -- and a promising 11.5 100-meter time as a sophomore weighing 250-plus pounds -- should translate well to a full-time move to the defensive line.

The interesting nugget about aggy and priorities. Outside of paying Leal, Texas has dismantled aggy DL recruiting in the state.

• Like 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Longhorns surging with out of state prospects?

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Longhorns surging with out of state prospects?

MikeRoach

—Yesterday, our Mountain Region Analyst Blair Angulo put in a Crystal Ball pick for Englewood (CO) Cherry Creek defensive lineman Arden Walker. I spoke with Walker today and will have a full story with him tomorrow. Texas is definitely making a strong impression on him and his teammate Gunnar Helm. In fact, Walker told me the two have been talking about playing their college ball together. Texas recently offered Helm and made a big impression on him with a virtual visit. As for Walker, he’s one of a few options the Longhorns have upfront and he’s looking to make his decision in the fall. Texas will certainly be in the picture down the stretch in this recruitment.

—I also caught up with Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny center Michael Myslinski. He made the trip to Austin over the weekend to see the city and the campus. With the dead period in effect, Myslinski couldn’t be hosted in any official capacity, but he was able to look around for himself. I’ll have a full story out later this week, but Myslinski said he loved everything about Austin and Texas is definitely one of his top schools. He plans to take some more independent trips to those campuses before making a decision in July. Iowa, Maryland, Michigan State, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisville, Florida State, Oregon and Duke are some of the other schools he’s considering right now.

—I’ve had a Crystal Ball pick in for Andrew Mukuba to end up at Texas for a while. Today I made a change to that pick. While my Crystal Ball is still on Texas, I dropped the confidence from a 7 to a 4. As I’ve mentioned in the past, information on Mukuba is often all over the map and largely depends on who you’re talking to. Clemson, LSU and Texas seem to be the main schools mentioned in this race, and I heard from sources very close to Mukuba that the race is between Texas and Clemson right now. Mukuba told our Nick Harris today that he isn’t in any hurry to make a decision. With the amount of mixed information going on behind the scenes, there are bound to be different narratives out there. Even some college coaches I spoke with have mentioned that Mukuba keeps them off balance when speaking with him. We will see how things play out in the fall, but he’s given strong indications to Texas about his interest in the program.