Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

x posting this from the OU thread from TFB re: Wheaton

Spoiler

Camar Wheaton and Running Back Update
– Super K

As you know, the Sooners have been in hot pursuit of 2021 5-star RB, Camar Wheaton. New Sooners coach (but not a new Sooner), DeMarco Murray is looking to hit a home run in his first season on OU’s staff.

***Last month, some of you seemed to think Wheaton was under commitment watch. As we noted then, citing a source close to Wheaton that at the time we did not think that was the case – at least, nothing was imminent in May.

***Also, I recently noted that per our sources, the Sooners are less likely now to take two RBs. I believe they will choose to use that number elsewhere. The possibility isn’t ruled out but it won’t be the priority. It would likely only happen if they miss out on guys they like at other positions.

***With that said, I’m told that the Sooners have slowed their RB recruiting down quite a bit and are really focused in on Camar.

***I still don’t have a solid timeline on when he may announce a decision but I have been told that part of the reason the Sooners have slowed down with other backs is they feel more and more confident in their ability to land Camar Wheaton.

***I am told that they are not putting all their eggs in the Wheaton basket but essentially the way it was explained to me is that the gap between Wheaton and some of the other backs is big enough to where they feel like if they do miss on Wheaton (and again, they feel good right now), it won’t be hard for them draw from another basket.

***One of my takeaways in checking on this that the staff seems pretty relaxed on this front which explains why running back recruitment has been a little on the quiet side.

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

***That’s a lot of bullet points. 

***To say essentially nothing

***Other than that OU is confident in getting Wheaton   

I mean, that is how Super K has always posted, it isn't new...here is his TFB Texas open post from 6/23

Spoiler

Team Quick-Hitters | Monday, June 22nd
– Super K

***For the first time in a while, the team will begin workouts today. This will be primarily weight lifting and running.

***I will say that Texas is not only getting a head start on a lot of other programs, but they also had a lot more players in Austin working out privately than other teams. So, if there is a correlation between training and on-field success, Texas should get a bump.

***They’ll continue coaching station walkthroughs via Zoom meetings.

***It is sounding more and more like BJ Foster may move down to LB. I’m always a bit hesitant to go full in on that because I’ve heard so many times before. But if they’re trying to get all this athleticism on the field, it would make sense. Imagining guys like Overshown and Foster at the second level with the speed on the back end…scary.

***Again, won’t begin actually face to face walkthroughs till mid-July.

***I did hear more of the names who are being isolated for corona. I’ve been asked not to divulge the names so I won’t. But I was told that once you’ve gone through your two-week quarantine, you won’t be required to again for the remainder of the year. In other words, it’s a good thing that many of Texas’ higher profile players are doing this now. For those who are sick, we wish them a speedy recovery.

that said it is relevant to recruiting so i posted it here.

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

I mean, that is how Super K has always posted, it isn't new...here is his TFB Texas open post from 6/23

Hide contents

Team Quick-Hitters | Monday, June 22nd
– Super K

***For the first time in a while, the team will begin workouts today. This will be primarily weight lifting and running.

***I will say that Texas is not only getting a head start on a lot of other programs, but they also had a lot more players in Austin working out privately than other teams. So, if there is a correlation between training and on-field success, Texas should get a bump.

***They’ll continue coaching station walkthroughs via Zoom meetings.

***It is sounding more and more like BJ Foster may move down to LB. I’m always a bit hesitant to go full in on that because I’ve heard so many times before. But if they’re trying to get all this athleticism on the field, it would make sense. Imagining guys like Overshown and Foster at the second level with the speed on the back end…scary.

***Again, won’t begin actually face to face walkthroughs till mid-July.

***I did hear more of the names who are being isolated for corona. I’ve been asked not to divulge the names so I won’t. But I was told that once you’ve gone through your two-week quarantine, you won’t be required to again for the remainder of the year. In other words, it’s a good thing that many of Texas’ higher profile players are doing this now. For those who are sick, we wish them a speedy recovery.

that said it is relevant to recruiting so i posted it here.

Higher profile players?

Interdasting

The Longhorns were well-represented on the Dave Campbell’s Super Team for offense. The 2020 summer edition of Dave Campbell’s Texas Football will be on newsstands everywhere during the first week of July.

Four-star Denton Ryan athlete Billy Bowman was the only Texas commit to make the first team as a utility player. Several Texas targets are listed on the first team including five-star Garland Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton, four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson, four-star Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle, five-star Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer, four-star Duncanville offensive tackle Savion Byrd and four-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Bryce Foster.

Four-star Katy Taylor offensive lineman Hayden Conner and four-star Everman athlete Juan Davis were named to the second team. Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal School center James Brockermeyer is the only priority Texas target listed on the second team offense.

The third team includes four-star Texas quarterback commit Jalen Milroe (Katy Tompkins).

Between the offensive and defensive super teams, the Longhorns have 10 of their 13 commits represented.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Texas-commits-and-targets-Dave-Campbells-Super-Team-offense-Jalen-Milroe-Billy-Bowman-Hayden-Conner-Juan-Davis-148508307/

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

PJ is going to be pretty familiar with the roster when he takes over for Tom in 2 years.

Also, D'Marion Alexander looks like a real project. If this would be a pure upside take, great. If it would take a spot of any other DL offer outside of Arden Walker, not great. 

For the non-film-watchers among us, what higher-profile recruit does he project similarly to?

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I wonder if we find any more players at the bottom of this barrel?

Fleck’s been nails on evals since he started at Western Michigan. There are a lot worse schools to poach high upside 3 stars from. I view it as akin to when we poach a few guys from TCU or an offensive player form Okie State. Obviously, you don’t want to be filling your class with them, but a few per class won’t hurt. And I don’t out Regis in that category. He’s going to have offers from all over the country by the end of the cycle. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, Regis seems offer-worthy, and this kid doesn't have one yet. No harm in poking around and fucking with other teams' classes.

Regis is offer worthy, absolutely. So is Jones. I'm also happy that they're going after contingencies early. We'll have a problem if they start taking contingencies too early, it's just tough to know who they want. This is the perceived DL board, looking for input on who and how many to take (and corrections)

JACK DT DE
Sanders S.Turner Thomas
Jackson* A.Regis Abiara*
Harris Ike J.Jones
D.Alexander Gilliam A.Walker

Committed    
*Committed Elsewhere  
Uncommitted    

This implies they want 3 Jacks, 3 DTs, and at least 2 true DEs, maybe 3. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Regis is offer worthy, absolutely. So is Jones. I'm also happy that they're going after contingencies early. We'll have a problem if they start taking contingencies too early, it's just tough to know who they want. This is the perceived DL board, looking for input on who and how many to take (and corrections)

JACK DT DE
Sanders S.Turner Thomas
Jackson* A.Regis Abiara*
Harris Ike J.Jones

Committed    
*Committed Elsewhere  
Uncommitted    

Clayton Smith?

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fleck’s been nails on evals since he started at Western Michigan.

Fleck and his staff produced 8 draft picks (so far) from his evals at fucking Western Michigan. It's certainly worth paying extra attention when they target a project/athlete. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

JACK DT DE
Sanders S.Turner Thomas
Jackson* A.Regis Abiara*
Harris Ike J.Jones

Committed    
*Committed Elsewhere  
Uncommitted    

Half the guys you listed won’t end up at Texas. I wouldn’t say their board looking like that implies they’re trying to take 8 DL. It means they have about 8 guys they think are worthy of taking, but recognize they won’t land all of them. We currently only have 3 DL commits for a 4 man DL scheme, so it’s not like numbers are getting tight right now. 

6 hours ago, NoName said:

***I am told that they are not putting all their eggs in the Wheaton basket but essentially the way it was explained to me is that the gap between Wheaton and some of the other backs is big enough to where they feel like if they do miss on Wheaton (and again, they feel good right now), it won’t be hard for them draw from another basket.

Am I reading this wrong, or does this make no sense?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Half the guys you listed won’t end up at Texas. I wouldn’t say their board looking like that implies they’re trying to take 8 DL. It means they have about 8 guys they think are worthy of taking, but recognize they won’t land all of them. We currently only have 3 DL commits for a 4 man DL scheme, so it’s not like numbers are getting tight right now. 

I completely agree. 8 at DL feels excessive if it's 1/4 of the total class size, and I think that's my point. Now, if GC is right and we take 29, I don't have an issue. I just don't think we'll get there. 

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I THINK he’s saying is that there’s a big gap from Wheaton to the backup plans, and they feel like landing one of the backup plans will be easy, so all the effort in rb recruiting is going towards Wheaton. 

That's how I read it.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I THINK he’s saying is that there’s a big gap from Wheaton to the backup plans, and they feel like landing one of the backup plans will be easy, so all the effort in rb recruiting is going towards Wheaton. 

So, "our backup plans to Wheaton suck, but because they suck, they'd very likely come here if offered" would be a more coherent way to communicate the idea?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

so essentially they're putting all their eggs in the Wheaton basket

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, Fud said:

I like JJ Henry a lot 

I always worry about shorter guys that are long striders. It's hard to be a precise route runner that way -- he can absolutely run and might flourish in a Briles type offense with a lot of verticals, so maybe he'd work as a member of this class for Yurcich but I'm not sold and each time I see him work out or with Flex I feel like he's limited. 

Hattersly from aggy247 just posted this vid of JJ working out ... 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/jj-henry-workout/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, golfclap said:

Fleck and his staff produced 8 draft picks (so far) from his evals at fucking Western Michigan. It's certainly worth paying extra attention when they target a project/athlete. 

They’re especially impressive at identifying under the radar receivers. They found Rashod Bateman in Georgia before pretty much anyone, and they even held off a late push by UGA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

They’re especially impressive at identifying under the radar receivers. They found Rashod Bateman in Georgia before pretty much anyone, and they even held off a late push by UGA.

Just wait until he turns the horns on the helmet into oars. The BMDs are going to LOVE him. 

Honestly, I think PJ is Tom Herman 2.0. A real fuckstick that is good at playing the underdog. Idk that I want Texas to be his first shot at being the hunted. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Just wait until he turns the horns on the helmet into oars. The BMDs are going to LOVE him. 

Honestly, I think PJ is Tom Herman 2.0. A real fuckstick that is good at playing the underdog. Idk that I want Texas to be his first shot at being the hunted. 

While Dabo and Orgeron are both in the "friendly fun players' coach" genre, who wants to miss on the next "weird tyrannical genius" that Saban personifies?

• Like 1