Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Yeah, I think McCutchin may want to rethink that take unless he wants to go to Aggy, Arkansas, or play for Rumlin in Arizona. Landyn Watson is like a less physically impressive version of Stripling and while he's got a lot of interest going on right now (just like Stripling), I think in the long run those will be his most likely destinations. McCutchin will probably see his stock rise quite a bit more over the next 2 years and will likely be able to do much better. 

If we land Bijan Robinson and Lathan Ransom then we may be the favorites for OL Jonah Miller from the same school.  IDK where he'd rank on the board with the loaded in-state guys, but it could be nice to have a legit backup option if we miss on the Katy Taylor kids or Donovan Jackson.

• Like 1

IT

GARRETT NUSSMEIER

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound junior quarterback is the son of college and professional football coach Doug Nussmeier. The elder Nussmeier is currently tight ends coach with the Dallas Cowboys. Flower Mound Marcus benefits from that as much as anyone.

Last year the sophomore demonstrated a good arm and quick release. He currently holds offers from LSU (received before his sophomore year), North Carolina, Boise State, Penn State, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Michigan State, SMU, and Colorado. The nation-wide interest is coming far too early for it to be mostly driven by his dad's connections. The kid can play. 

Here's what I wrote last month: I love the zip and placement on mid-range passes over the middle. Nice arm. Not the biggest kid but knows where he's going with the ball and gets it there quick. It's an interesting cycle for this type of player.

Texas quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator Tim Beck attended Nussmeier's spring game last Wednesday as the staff looks looks to make thorough evaluations in the event it doesn't land Preston Stone. 

On UT stopping by;
"Coach Beck came to see me throw and he also came to our spring game last night."

What's the latest with recruiting in general?
"I'm hearing from a lot of different schools right now. Every school that has offered me has come to see me, and others who haven't offered that are showing interest are Texas, USC, Stanford, Northwestern, TCU, and Bama."

Any visit plans?

"I have not put together a full schedule for this summer but I know for sure that I will be visiting Texas and LSU."

What role will your dad play in your recruitment?
"I think my dad will help guide me but ultimately it is my decision and he has emphasized that to me."

*I doubt Doug will be pushing his alma mater of the University of Idaho very hard

We know UT has Preston Stone atop the board but what of the out-of-left field talk he may actually be serious about SMU? I caught up with a cigar (big donor) on that.

PRESTON STONE - Part I 

The Dallas based cigar had this to say: "There are a few of the big SMU donors who feel he'll be going there as crazy as it sounds. They aren't putting his brother on scholarship for nothing. Word is the Stones do have some interest in SMU but I'll believe he'll go to SMU when he signs. Even if he committed to them early for some reason I don't think he'll sign there."

SMU is recruiting Preston like it has a chance but they have nothing to lose there. His dad is a donor of some degree and he's right down the road. Tom Herman took the same shot with Ed Oliver, just with a few different angles.

PRESTON STONE - Part II 

Football is an escape for 2021 Dallas Parish Episcopal QB Preston Stone.

He’s honored that schools like Alabama, Stanford, Michigan, and Texas come out to see him practice. The recruiting process is a trying yet entertaining time for anyone, especially a highly-touted quarterback recruit.

So when he gets to just focus on playing with his closest friends, his personality comes out.

“There’s always going to be the media and the hype and everything, but this is what I love most about football is these guys on the field with me right here,” Stone said Wednesday. “There’s nothing that makes me more excited than coming out on the field with these guys.”

At a school like Parish Episcopal, one player can transform a team. Stone’s throwing ability paired with his mobility makes him a difficult weapon to stop. He also is the unquestioned leader of his team. 

During warm-ups and various drills, Stone’s voice stands out above everyone else’s. He tries to motivate his team during the early portion of practice, making sure there’s good energy from start to finish.

“Football-wise, this will be the first year I’ll be on the team as an upperclassmen with the other guys,” Stone said. “I’m really trying to make sure we have the whole team together, that we can get this rolling before I start to get into recruiting or anything.”

Every school of the 45 that have offered him can’t receive visits or specialized attention, so he knows the list will have to get shorter at some point.

“As soon as spring ball is done, I’ve got to sit down with my parents and we’ve got to sort all that out,” Stone said regarding visits. “This is a big summer for me as far as starting to figure out how things are going to shape up. Over the next few weeks, I’ll figure it out with my parents.”

The schools that were there to see him on Wednesday (Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Stanford) all take slightly varied approaches to offense. Stanford and Michigan (at least prior to this offseason) run plenty of what would be characterized as pro-style, I-formation sets. Texas, Alabama, and countless other suitors for Stone run an iteration of the “pro-spread.”

Stone’s offense at Parish appears to be a typical, Texas high school football spread. While he knows he has athletic ability to make plays outside the pocket, Stone knows why those Power 5 schools are there to see him.

“I definitely see myself as a passer first,” Stone said. “You look at the guys who can sustain a career in college or the NFL, and it’s the guys that can get the ball out on time in the right place. That’s really how I see myself first. I think what separates me from others is that I can be able to make plays with my legs. I can definitely feel comfortable in just about any offense.”

Although there’s still a lot up in the air with Stone’s recruitment, Texas seems to be a constant. Stone said he does plan to get back to Austin this summer, and praised what Tom Herman and Tim Beck have done with the Texas offense.

In addition to Texas, Stone’s family has connections to the hometown SMU Mustangs. His brother, Parker, is set to play football for Sonny Dykes starting this summer, one of several connections the Stones have to the growing program.

However, there’s still a long way to go in this recruitment, especially for Stone. Aside from wanting to get back to Texas, he said there weren’t any knowns other than what he prioritizes in a football program.

“I think the biggest thing that I’ve learned playing high school football is the most important thing as far as football goes is the culture of the team,” Stone said. “I like that locker room feel, how it feels to be in the locker room with the guys and on the field where there’s thousands of people watching. I just want to know that those guys have my back, and I got theirs.”

The next step in Stone’s recruitment will take place “probably soon.”

SAVION BYRD

There’s another name to remember in the loaded in-state 2021 offensive line class, and he just started playing football a few years ago.

After growing up in Atlanta as a Falcons fan, 2021 Duncanville OL Savion Byrd’s family moved halfway across the country to Duncanville. Byrd started playing football his freshman year, and found out he was pretty good at it.

Last year as a sophomore he was first team all-district at offensive tackle, and coaches have been coming to see him play and sell their program to him since.

“A couple schools are out here looking interested,” Byrd said after Duncanville’s spring game with double-digit college coaches on hand.

Byrd, the 6-foot-5, 265-pound LT for the Panthers is tasked with guarding 2020 QB Ja’Quinden Jackson’s blindside. He also did some work on the defensive line during the spring scrimmage, showing his willingness to help the team through any means.

With a pro team as his childhood interest, Byrd is open to several different schools in the region. He wants to see TCU, SMU, Texas, and Oklahoma soon. He also mentioned if he heads back home to Atlanta, he might stop by Athens to see Georgia.

Byrd had positive things to say about Texas.

“Visiting there was really fun,” Byrd said. “I want to take another visit my junior year to really get the full experience.”

That includes seeing a game, and not just at Texas. Byrd wants to see games at several different schools to see what college football is like.

Byrd had positive things to say about Herb Hand as well, and said the Texas OL coach offered Byrd several coaching points on his visit.

“Their offensive line is incredible,” Byrd said. “I’m asking all types of questions like what do you do when you have this type of technique and he’s trying to slant inside?”

As far as recruiting, Byrd described his plate as “full” right now but planned to focus more on the process during the summer. He plans to take additional visits and trim his list of schools, but “I know it’s not going to be that easy,” he said.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

@Harvdog are you buying the Tunmise + Jalen Milroe package deal playing together?

My son talked to him and he seems serious. They have been playing together since the 6th grade and TA is using his new found “stardom” to try and help out his boys. I still think it will be Texas or A&M that wins out. I have watched JM and I don’t think he’s a Top QB. Definitely not a Tier 5 school. That could change...he’s going into his JR year and could improve. If he does...then I would suspect that all the big schools will be offering up the package to get the deal. 

TFB on Derrick Harris: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-tuesday-may-21st/

2021 LB Derrick Harris Talks Texas
– CJ Vogel

Welcome to the TFB Board, Derrick Harris!

This will be a name to store away for the 2021 class, but is certainly worth the investment. ICYMI, Darius ranked Harris as his 12th prospect in the Top 25 in 2021.

Harris, a 2021 linebacker out of New Caney High School, has been rather quiet on the recruiting trail so far however that should change this summer and heading into his junior season.

At the moment, Harris holds only an SMU offer, but he is currently hearing from schools like Oklahoma State, TCU and Baylor as well.

*** Harris said he has been in contact with the Texas staff in the past but it’s rather spotty. Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando was in communications with Harris last week where the two discussed getting Harris down to Austin for a camp this summer.

Finding linebackers in-state has been difficult in the past couple of cycles, so if Harris passes the eye test for the staff at the camp, it would be surprising to not see an offer extended at some point.

** As for his interest in the Longhorns, Harris said he would be “most interested” in Texas.

He has visited campus twice so far and added Texas “is a school I would like to go to.”

On 5/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, golfclap said:

Yeah, I think McCutchin may want to rethink that take unless he wants to go to Aggy, Arkansas, or play for Rumlin in Arizona. Landyn Watson is like a less physically impressive version of Stripling and while he's got a lot of interest going on right now (just like Stripling), I think in the long run those will be his most likely destinations. McCutchin will probably see his stock rise quite a bit more over the next 2 years and will likely be able to do much better. 

They have trained together for a couple of years now. He is probably 75% serious. Push comes to show, I seriously doubt he goes to a lesser program just to play with Landyn.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:28 AM, Machinator said:

Darius Terrell has some interesting stuff in today's TFB Open Post, including a top 25 ranking for 2021 and an intervivew with Pearland RB Brandon Campbell: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-weekend-may-17th-19th/

So this is obviously way too early, but what does our ideal class look like?

QB (1): Preston Stone

OL (6): Tommy Brockermeyer-Hayden Conner-James Brockermeyer-Bryce Foster-Savion Byrd + one of Djax, Fatheree, ?

RB (1): Camar Wheaton

WR (3): Shadrach Banks, JoJo Earle, maybe one OOS?

TE (1): Devon Martin

DL (3): Landon Jackson, Tunmise Adeleye, Marcus Burris

LB (4): Flowe, Blackshire, ???, ???

CB (2): Latrell McCutchin, ???

S (2): JD Coffey, ???

Those numbers leave us at 24. So put 1+ spots wherever you think it's needed.

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

So this is obviously way too early, but what does our ideal class look like?

QB (1): Preston Stone

OL (6): Tommy Brockermeyer-Hayden Conner-James Brockermeyer-Bryce Foster-Savion Byrd + one of Djax, Fatheree, ?

RB (1): Camar Wheaton

WR (3): Shadrach Banks, JoJo Earle, maybe one OOS?

TE (1): Devon Martin

DL (3): Landon Jackson, Tunmise Adeleye, Marcus Burris

LB (4): Flowe, Blackshire, ???, ???

CB (2): Latrell McCutchin, ???

S (2): JD Coffey, ???

Those numbers leave us at 24. So put 1+ spots wherever you think it's needed.

It's too early 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wonder if he was less than Extremely excited the first two times UT offered him. They say that the Third time is the Charm. 

This is supposed to be the part where you get yelled at for making the same tired Shaggurly joke, but I still laugh at it, so...

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-weekend-may-24th-26th/

2021 RB Brandon Campbell Talks Texas
– CJ Vogel

Introducing another 2021 prospect that will be a name to know moving forward – Brandon Campbell.

Campbell is a 2021 running back out of Pearland HS who currently stands at 5’10” and 190 pounds. The interest from schools around the nation is beginning to pick up for the talented back.

Texas is among the schools that have briefly been in contact with Campbell so far.

“I have been in contact (with the staff) slightly,” said Campbell. “It’s been off and on, but I would love to build a relationship with the staff.”

If the staff does turn up the heat in Campbell’s recruitment, the return interest would be very high.

“Texas is one of those schools if they offered me, they would automatically be high on my list. Texas was my childhood dream school but I would like to talk to the staff more because I haven’t heard from them.”

Among the schools that are in contact with Campbell the most are Houston, Virginia Tech, Memphis and Arkansas. Though Campbell says he is hearing often from USC, Washington, Colorado, LSU, Texas Tech and Baylor.

So what about a program intrigues Campbell the most?

“The system and style of play is big for me. Just somewhere I feel like I can compete early on for playing time.”

Campbell claims a 4.52 40-yard dash and 35-inch vertical on his Hudl page.

Texas, at the very least should establish a relationship with Campbell before the start of the season in my opinion. It would not be very smart to let him bolt without giving him a chance at being the 2021 back.

2021 DL Duo Visits
– Darius Terrell

May 11, Texas hosted Texarkana (Pleasant Grove) Defensive Linemen Landon Jackson and Marcus Burris, two of the top players in the 2021 class. Burris and Jackson have been bookends for Pleasant Grove since they were Freshmen, leading the school to two consecutive state title game appearances.

I was able to catch up with Burris and get his thoughts on the visit.

“We didn’t initially plan to visit campus at first, we were actually in town to watch the state track meet and they (Oscar Giles) asked if we could stop by and visit for a while.”

The visit didn’t last long (they were on campus for a few hours), but they were able to speak with the staff that was in town as well as take photos in full uniform with current UT Freshman RB Jordan Whittington. Burris did inform me that he and Jackson are no strangers to Austin or the UT campus.

“That was my third time at UT.” Burris told me. “They have great facilities and I really like the players and staff. They always make us feel welcome and give off great vibes.”

Burris says that the relationship that he has with the staff and his position coach is going to likely be the primary factor in his recruitment.

“What I’m mainly looking for in a school is a great staff like I have here at PG (Pleasant Grove).”

While his teammate already holds a Texas offer, Burris, who has over a dozen offers from the likes of Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Miami, is still waiting on the Longhorns to make him an official offer.

Burris says that recruiting isn’t his main priority at this current point in time, but he did take note of the fact that one school seems to be prioritizing him early.

“I have been in contact with A&M a lot lately. Other than that, really no one right now.”

My Take: Texas will have more than a few very good in-state options available in 2021. The only offers that have been made to Defensive Linemen in the class so far are to the aforementioned Jackson, Jatavion Sanders, and Tunmise Adeleye. I believe that once Texas finishes their evaluations of some of the other players that are still emerging in a deep group, Burris, who is still in the early stages of his recruitment, will likely begin to come more into focus as a priority for the Longhorns as we get closer to next fall. Texas A&M has seemingly targeted Burris as a priority and is showing him a ton of attention early.