Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

32 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yurcich and Carrington both now following Sturdivant. Was more excited about that with McCaskill tbh.

Fired up...

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Sturdivant as a four-star recruit who is ranked in the national top 150 in the 2021 class. He is ranked No. 27 nationally among 2021 wide receiver prospects, as well as No. 25 overall in the state of Texas for his class. The Top247 rankings put Sturdivant higher across the board: No. 95 overall in the country, No. 11 among 2021 wideouts, and No. 14 overall in the Lone Star State's 2021 cycle.  Sturdivant's recruiting process took off thanks to his outstanding junior season. He finished the 2019 campaign with 87 catches for 1,125 yards and 10 touchdowns. Sturdivant is the top target for Nussmeier as Flower Mound Marcus looks to make another playoff run this fall following last year's 11-2 record and Texas Class 6A Division II third-round appearance.

In addition to his exploits on the gridiron, Sturdivant competes in multiple track and field events, including the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash, the long jump, and the triple jump. Sturdivant owns a personal record of 11.27 seconds in the 100 meters, as well as a 22.30 in the 200. He set his personal best in the long jump in early March prior to the coronavirus pandemic shutdown with a leap of 20 feet, 11 1/2 inches.

The following is the 247Sports scouting report on Sturdivant, who is comparable to Texas Tech receiver Erik Ezukanma: "Big-framed wideout with good height and frame length. Lean build but frame potential to eclipse 200-pound plateau. Produces big numbers against Texas 6A competition. Adequate tester with strong track profile. Competes in the 100 meters, 200 meters, long jump, and triple jump. Knows how to run to find open space. Height and frame help with encouraging high-pointing ability. Dangerous run-after-catch playmaker. Tracks the deep ball well. Long stride that builds speed downfield, but can improve initial burst off the line. Can also leverage DB's better into breaks. High-major wideout with all-conference potential and an NFL Draft ceiling."

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-LSU-UCLA-Cal-football-recruiting-top-schools-JMichael-Sturdivant-147454771/

Edited by LTtxfan

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yurcich and Carrington both now following Sturdivant. Was more excited about that with McCaskill tbh.

Articles on McCaskill:  

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/local/2020/07/17/the-mccaskill-plan-working-to-perfection-31-offers-and-counting/ 

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Article/Florida-State-Penn-State-Auburn-Oklahoma-State-football-recruiting-Alton-McCaskill-145880315/

Can't see this recent article behind 247 paywall, but here's headline...

"Notre Dame a Top Contender for Running Back Alton McCaskill"

VIP ByTOM LOY Jul 19, 2020

Edited by LTtxfan

This is an odd blurb from OBs. I can think of about a dozen prospects in each of the last two classes that the staff started recruiting due to senior tape

The Longhorns are actively pursuing both athletes, who just so happen to play high school football in Virginia. Johnson and Gilliam list Texas as among their favorite schools. I wanted to know if the lack of a senior season hurts high school players in states pushing football back to 2021.

Not really.

My sources said the delay probably hurts smaller programs more than Texas. The Longhorns begin recruiting elite talent during a player’s freshman or sophomore season. By the time a player has completed his junior season, he is already on their radar. It is very rare Texas recruits a player based on his senior season.

In fact, one person told me that last time that occurred was during the recruitment of Katy defensive tackle Moro Ojomo, who was offered after his senior season in December 2017 and signed in February 2018.

Since the majority of evaluations are done prior to an elite player’s senior season, nobody inside the building is concerned about an athlete signing a scholarship in December this year before his senior season is played.

In fact, I was told they mentally view the delayed start to high school football in some states as an injury.

Longhorn offensive lineman Jaylen Garth missed his senior season due to a knee injury. In addition, defensive back Xavion Alfred missed his senior season due to a knee injury, too. Texas saw enough players on film during their junior seasons to take their commitments. That is why nobody associated is too concerned.

I did ask if there was a chance Texas might save a spot for seniors enduring a delayed start.

Nobody expects that to occur.

Instead, the Longhorns will attempt to sign players currently on their radar in December.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Correct me if I’m wrong Lou, but isn’t the Clemson mod deep in the bag for helping pay recruits? I don’t know if it’s her or someone else, but there were strong rumors that they helped facilitate shenanigans 

Yes, but it’s not her. It’s a dude. I can’t remember which service it was though. CTJ would remember. 

18 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm concerned about Sterns's size. 247 has him listed at 6-4, 250 and his size doesn't pop out at all on the tape.

I think he's only played one year of OL - and looking at his frame that looks like a kid that would have no problem putting 30-40 pounds on and carrying it well.  C Williams played LT in the 280's and Cosmi only this season got up to 300.  He doesn't need to be an aggy cube to play OL here.  I'd much rather we recruit athletes than the Jordan Jeffersons of the world who dominate as HS underclassmen because they outweigh everyone by 100 pounds.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm concerned about Sterns's size. 247 has him listed at 6-4, 250 and his size doesn't pop out at all on the tape.

I can understand that, and I do have a little concern there - would've been nice to get his measurements from a camp setting. Looking at him in the recent workout video he clearly has the frame to add 30+ more pounds easily. perhaps more and his arms look really long. I'd love to get some accurate measurements on him for sure. Sterns is heavier now AND has a bigger frame than PJ Williams who has climbed to top 20 in the state in the 2022 rankings and the #9 overall OT - and yeah, there's a year difference but we aren't putting anyone on the field at OL without a RS any way these days. (HALLELUJAH!!). 

If he's 6'4" and 250 here - then he will be able to carry 285 with relative ease. Getting to and maintaining 300 might be a question mark, but it's a gamble I would take for sure, elite lateral quickness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I can understand that, and I do have a little concern there - would've been nice to get his measurements from a camp setting. Looking at him in the recent workout video he clearly has the frame to add 30+ more pounds easily. perhaps more and his arms look really long. I'd love to get some accurate measurements on him for sure. Sterns is heavier now AND has a bigger frame than PJ Williams who has climbed to top 20 in the state in the 2022 rankings and the #9 overall OT - and yeah, there's a year difference but we aren't putting anyone on the field at OL without a RS any way these days. (HALLELUJAH!!). 

If he's 6'4" and 250 here - then he will be able to carry 285 with relative ease. Getting to and maintaining 300 might be a question mark, but it's a gamble I would take for sure, elite lateral quickness. 

No spring camps and no official visits makes measurements tough. I'm sure the coaches can get good measurements on a guy playing at Del Valle.

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Frenzy has some screen shots from the OU board about some panic over Wheaton.  Didn't see the 1st post started by fan boy Drumm though.

He basically said nobody knows shit, but sooners are confident, he's going to Sooner Summit event (cock gobbling contest?), but has heard rumors Wheaton is a Texas lean.

Remind me to cancel my subscription to 247 before they renew it.

Edited by Bevo14

7 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

He basically said nobody knows shit, but sooners are confident, he's going to Sooner Summit event (cock gobbling contest?), but has heard rumors Wheaton is a Texas lean.

Remind me to cancel my subscription to 247 before they renew it.

Wait, Drumm says he's heard rumors Wheaton is a Texas lean?

EDIT:  NM, just read it.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What exactly is this Sooner Summit thing?

It's a player led "5* summit". The Pied Piper (Caleb Williams) is trying to orchestrate an event where recruits all come on a recruit-led visit to Norman at the same time, with "no coach involvement or interaction", and no real access to the facilities.

The Sooners appear to think this is somehow an incredible new phenomenon and the result will be CW finally making it rain 5 stars.

FFS, almost every school does this - hell, do they not remember the aggy recruit pool party of legend? 

33 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's a player led "5* summit". The Pied Piper (Caleb Williams) is trying to orchestrate an event where recruits all come on a recruit-led visit to Norman at the same time, with "no coach involvement or interaction", and no real access to the facilities.

The Sooners appear to think this is somehow an incredible new phenomenon and the result will be CW finally making it rain 5 stars.

FFS, almost every school does this - hell, do they not remember the aggy recruit pool party of legend? 

Yeah, the pool party the the coaches brought all the food for? That "player-led" gathering.

I imagine this one will be exactly the same. Sooners probably have enlisted Kelvin Sampson as their NCAA compliance consultant for the event.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

According to Roach there’s an “independent visitor” heading to Austin this weekend. 

Maybe I’m reading to much into it but Nahlin’s blurb about Ketron Jackson in the Humidor makes me think it might be him...

Ketron Jackson... This class needs a big, fast, outside receiver. That might be why Tom Herman, Andre Coleman, and Mike Yurcich have made the Royse City four-star wideout a major priority. UT is really putting in the effort to convince Jackson he belongs in Austin.

Texas is battling Arkansas and TCU for his services. He’s close with the Razorbacks staff. He’s bonding with Horned Frogs’ receiver coach Malcolm Kelly. But the Horns have made up ground.

It’s always unique what lengths recruits will go through to find the right spot, similar to Gunnar Helm trekking from Colorado to Austin just to see the city and campus. Jackson strikes me as a prospect with the same capabilities.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven't paid attention closely to him, but he seems to have good size and speed and he's rated high, yet his offer list doesnt seem to match.  not sure which indicator is off right now.

His Qb is Lukewarm Ass

Edited by randygilman

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven't paid attention closely to him, but he seems to have good size and speed and he's rated high, yet his offer list doesnt seem to match.  not sure which indicator is off right now.

That's what I wondered, I just figured that I had missed a post from one of you guys in the know.

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Are the Bama, OSU, and LSU offers not for real? 

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ketron-Jackson-104451/RecruitInterests/

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Think of him as Erick Cade but at WR, where position fit, scheme fit, and total numbers available drive his value down a bit. I think he's basically everyone's next man up. @randygilman is right that his QB is a detriment. He's got excellent size and hit a 47'6" triple-jump this year, so there's plenty of athleticism. 

I think he'd murder in the Arkansas/Briles offense, so I totally get that recruitment. I think he's a really good player. 

• Like 1