Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

20 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Curious who this is. Roschon would make sense, but he doesn't strike me as someone who would want to take a year off. 

IT Scholarship Roster Link: https://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster

guys without *s have not redshirted..potential options highlighted

• RoJo is doubtful surely
  • Cade Brewer?
  • Jacoby Jones?
  • Leitao? (I thought he already took a RS?)
  • Anthony Cook?

tAtm28Sg

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

IT Scholarship Roster Link: https://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster

guys without *s have not redshirted..potential options highlighted

• RoJo is doubtful surely
  • Cade Brewer?
  • Jacoby Jones?
  • Leitao? (I thought he already took a RS?)
  • Anthony Cook?

tAtm28Sg

Leitao has taken a RS.

I'll take Tyler Owens.

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Leitao has taken a RS.

I'll take Tyler Owens.

Agreed, Owens is the only name on that list I can see benefiting from getting a year's distance from the guys ahead of him with the slight possibility of Cook. I kind of doubt that's where his head is at though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Leitao has taken a RS.

I'll take Tyler Owens.

14 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Agreed, Owens is the only name on that list I can see benefiting from getting a year's distance from the guys ahead of him with the slight possibility of Cook. I kind of doubt that's where his head is at though. 

Huh? Owens was listed in that same report as running at second team safety and there was a picture posted of him practicing just a day or two ago. 

For those who may not remember - Jett Bush is the Houston area LB who was at one time a New Mexico St. commit who decommitted for a PWO opportunity at Texas.  Nahlin/Wells wrote at the time about what a big deal it was and how it was evidence of Herman's work/desire to upgrade the walk-on program at Texas.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? Owens was listed in that same report as running at second team safety and there was a picture posted of him practicing just a day or two ago. 

I don't think he should or it even makes sense, but if we are going to take that IT blurb as legit I just don't see who the other options are. He's not fighting for a starting job and between Estell and Foster/Brown there is competition for him to make the 2-deep. I assume whoever it is has to be practicing because Herman said at the PC everyone has reported except for Young.

Of course another possibility is that IT is wrong about another player opting out for a RS. 

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For those who may not remember - Jett Bush is the Houston area LB who was at one time a New Mexico St. commit who decommitted for a PWO opportunity at Texas.  Nahlin/Wells wrote at the time about what a big deal it was and how it was evidence of Herman's work/desire to upgrade the walk-on program at Texas.

And more importantly, the first minute or so of his Hudl is him absolutely obliterating ppl

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think there's any DL on the roster who's been in the program for a year or more who's looking at Alfred Collins and Broughton, or even Moro and Sweat and saying to themselves "you know, I think I like my chances at playing time better once these new guys get some more experience, time with McKnight, and a good extra year on the school's nutrition program."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Wiltfong, on Camar Wheaton.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.cb7390188401e3e84fde935aabec79bc.png

(He added, quite mysteriously, "My source's name rhymes with "Wolfslap".)

Sounds like Wiltfong talked to the same person Hamilton did. At least this "source" is consistent. Wish he would recruit outside of his position, but a 4 year haul of Ingram, Robinson, and Wheaton should get almost everyone off his back. Not too mention the development of Johnson into a Big 12 caliber starting RB.

44 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The most important piece of information you'll consume today:

Conference's can scrap a conference sanctioned season. That doesn't restrict the member institutions from playing football. Kyle Umlaug already has a super conference boner

did twitter change how they embed or was that a local site thing? now they are 2" x 3" box vs the normal look

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The most important piece of information you'll consume today:

Conference's can scrap a conference sanctioned season. That doesn't restrict the member institutions from playing football. Kyle Umlaug already has a super conference boner

That would be interesting for every to punt on their scheduled games for a year, and whoever wants to play match up with each other as best as they can. Should be some sort of one off contract with espn, Fox, and Disney with all revenue split evenly. 

247 / Gabe Brooks /  Possible flip candidates in Texas in the 2021 class

Spoiler

Possible flip candidates in Texas in the 2021 class
GABE BROOKS

The unprecedented environment of the 2021 recruiting cycle continues to roll on. With hundreds upon hundreds of early-cycle commitments in the books, the possibility of some seismic flips is real as the 2021 recruiting calendar approaches the stretch run. Here's a look at five names in Texas that have caused some buzz in the spring and summer, and what that buzz says right now regarding possible flips, whether likely or unlikely.

Tunmise Adeleye, four-star DE -- committed to Ohio State
After a spring semester at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., Adeleye is expected to officially re-enroll soon at Katy Tompkins, where he played the 2019 season and attended school prior to moving to Florida. Adeleye committed in mid-April to Ohio State after his original plans were for a late summer decision. Flipping the 6-foot-3, 245-pounder from the Buckeyes will be difficult, but Texas A&M continues to try. The Aggies were the very first program to offer Adeleye and have prioritized him ever since. The chances for flipping Adeleye seem pretty low, but that won't stop Texas A&M from attempting it, especially with Adeleye back in Texas this fall. Adeleye is ranked No. 30 overall in the country's class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, which also puts him fourth among 2021 strong-side defensive ends. Flip meter: Cool.

JoJo Earle, four-star WR -- committed to LSU
Things materialized fast in favor of LSU when the speedy Aledo High School playmaker announced his late April commitment to the Tigers. Texas and TCU were considered top contenders for the 5-foot-9 1/2, 170-pounder, and despite Earle's commitment going on five months now, the Longhorns and Horned Frogs remain vigilant in their pursuit. There continues to be some buzz for both schools despite Earle's LSU pledge. Texas A&M is another in-state school that has prioritized Earle as its top slot receiver target in the 2021 recruiting cycle. While a particular school does not seem clearcut right now, the chances of Earle flipping elsewhere are real, according to sources. The Top247 puts Earle -- who gained more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage and scored 26 touchdowns as a junior -- at No. 70 overall in the class, as well as 10th among 2021 receivers and 10th overall in the state. Flip meter: Warm.

Jalen Milroe, four-star QB -- committed to Texas
As with Adeleye, there have not been any public indications that the four-star signal caller has wavered from his commitment. After all, he has been committed for more than a year to Texas, and he remains the Longhorns' only QB commit in this class despite the belief that Texas originally wanted two QB's. Nevertheless, that has not stopped Alabama from continuing its pursuit of the 6-foot-1 1/2, 192-pound Katy Tompkins standout. Milroe and Florida State commit Luke Altmyer appear to be the top targets for Alabama in the Tide's pursuit of a high-profile 2021 quarterback. Milroe has been a key behind-the-scenes recruiter for Texas for much of the cycle, so prying him away from the home-state team will be tough. Milroe, who accounted for more than 3,000 yards and 37 touchdowns in 2019, is a top 100 prospect on the 247Sports composite, a top four dual-threat QB, and a top 10 overall recruit in the Lone Star State's 2021 class. Flip meter: Cool.

David Abiara, four-star DE -- committed to Notre Dame
The Irish landed Abiara's commitment in late March, and the buzz for an Oklahoma flip started about two months later. However, fast forward another 2 1/2 months and the 6-foot-4, 248-pounder from Mansfield Legacy is still committed to Notre Dame. Will he stick with the Irish? That's not clear, but the buzz for Oklahoma has quieted in recent weeks, despite the Sooners still controlling the 247Sports Crystal Ball. Texas is pursuing Abiara and trying to keep him in-state, while SMU is a local darkhorse to watch as the Mustangs continue to make some noise recruiting high-end prospects in the DFW Metroplex. A specific flip destination is not clear right now, but the odds of Abiara flipping elsewhere are good. Abiara is a 247Sports Composite four-star ranked in the nation's top 25 strong-side defensive ends and top 50 in Texas. Flip meter: Warmer.

Cameron Brady, three-star WR -- committed to UCF
The 247Sports Crystal Ball has seen a run for Ole Miss to flip the 6-foot-2 wideout from UCF, which originally got his commitment in early June. Ole Miss offered Brady in mid-February and he took a March 1 unofficial visit to Oxford prior to the coronavirus pandemics shutdown. Two months ago, it was not clear if Ole Miss was ready to take Brady, but that has changed, according to sources. Brady, who caught 40 passes for 461 yards and four touchdowns as a junior, is a top 150 wideout and top 150 overall prospect in Texas for his class, per the 247Sports Composite. The 247Sports rankings are a bit higher on Brady, putting him 125th among 2021 receivers and No. 133 overall in the state. Flip meter: Warmer.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think there's any DL on the roster who's been in the program for a year or more who's looking at Alfred Collins and Broughton, or even Moro and Sweat and saying to themselves "you know, I think I like my chances at playing time better once these new guys get some more experience, time with McKnight, and a good extra year on the school's nutrition program."

Maybe whoever it is will use this redshirt so that they can grad transfer next year, thereby not having to sit out a year post transfer?

• Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Yes, iirc the only official Bijan time was something slow his sophomore year. 

Wheaton fucking "gallops" in the open field. 

Yea, Bijan isn’t slow but it’s not the best part of his game. Speed is the primary part of Wheatons

Mike Roach: Recruiting staying status quo for four-star DL Shemar Turner

Shemar Turner is a bit frustrated but he’s trying to stay patient. The four-star defensive lineman from DeSoto wants to start practices for his senior season but the UIL ruling following COVID-19 means he will have to wait until September. Turner is just trying to put in work with his trainer Brandon Tucker and keep engaged with his team as a senior leader.

“Really just trying to stay mentally focused by working out every day,” he said. “I’m staying with my trainer just putting in work trying to stay in shape for the season. We’re trying to get as many workouts together as we can. Two or three of us will meet up at a park and run together or we get together and do pushups on facetime. Just stuff like that to keep everybody accountable.”

Recruiting pitches are starting to become redundant, but the recent ruling regarding athletes being allowed to earn money from name, image and likeness is creating a new dynamic. “Coach Giles talks to me about it a lot,” he said. “Pretty much every time we talk. It’s very important to me. They tell me there’s no other sports team in Austin. Texas football is all there is.”

Turner is one of the most wanted prospects in the entire country. Several Texas commits and players have been reaching out to Turner as of late to help sway his decision. “I talk to Jaden Hullaby,” he said. “I’ve talked to Ishmael Ibraheem and Billy Bowman. They just tell me to come to Texas. They need me and they want some good defensive linemen up front.”

With the season up in the air this fall, visits are also in question. Turner is waiting to see if visits are allowed again, but he’s preparing for either scenario. “I’m playing wait and see,” he said. “I don’t know if it would make my decision come later or earlier to tell you the truth. I’m planning to early enroll so I’ll have to make that decision before January.” At 6-foot-3.5, 282 pounds, Turner is ranked as the No. 10 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 19 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Still waiting for some additional confirmation but I am beginning to hear of a real possibility of some excellent recruiting news.

Would be a high profile and unexpected pick-up.

I’ll let you know once I have additional confirmation one way or another. From what I gather it should go down quickly.

In summary:
The cake is baked
The video is made
The thots are thirsty
The Uber is ordered
The portapotty is vacant

Turner?

3 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Still waiting for some additional confirmation but I am beginning to hear of a real possibility of some excellent recruiting news.

I’ll let you know once I have additional confirmation one way or another. From what I gather it should go down quickly.

In summary:
The cake is baked
The video is made
The thots are thirsty
The Uber is ordered
The portapotty is vacant

Oh tfb you saucy tease

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

In summary:
The cake is baked
The video is made
The thots are thirsty
The Uber is ordered
The portapotty is vacant

Normal speculation: Has to be on offense, unexpected tells me an OL or WR. Give me Crowdus.

Irresponsible speculation: Crowdus goes to school with Jager Burton, we could have reopened that door and closed under the radar

WILD SPECULATION: JoJo flipped

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Normal speculation: Has to be on offense, unexpected tells me an OL or WR. Give me Crowdus.

Irresponsible speculation: Crowdus goes to school with Jager Burton, we could have reopened that door and closed under the radar

WILD SPECULATION: JoJo flipped

That flipwatch article made that seem surprisingly plausible. He definitely committed under pressure, so that wouldn't be the weirdest thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1