Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Eric Nahlin: Fridays in the Humidor: 9/11/01

By: Gerry, Justin, and Eric

Our sources are pretty confident going into the season. It was interesting to ask questions and then hear them stop short of offering their true thoughts, like they didn’t want to sound overconfident or jinx the season.

The season is upon us, what’s the mindset of the team?
”Stay focused, go 1-0 every week. They feel confident, like nobody can beat them if they play their game and stick together. Win the Big 12 first then worry about the playoffs. That’s the mindset anyway.”

It’s been a trying offseason, is the team truly focused or motivated like for a normal season?
”They’re definitely motivated. They’re hungry for sure. If anything I think the energy is different in a positive way.”

Team expectations heading into the season?
“To play for the National Championship. Winning a conference isn’t enough. That’s a goal for the season but not the ultimate goal. This is the year everyone’s been pointing to.”

What do they have to do to accomplish those goals?
”Can’t lose sight of playing hard for 60 minutes. Things are going to happen — no season or even game goes perfectly — and they have to stay together and stay positive. They have to stay focused and not pay attention to the outside world.“

What’s the difference between this year and last year?
”The coaching is night and day. I feel like the players are much better prepared. The coaches demand perfection. Every last detail is dissected. If you do something and it’s not right, you’re going to do it again. I think the coaching is the biggest difference. The talent has been there. I think you’ll see better consistency because of the coaching.”

One of the concerns for the season is o-line play. I’m confident they’ll be fine in the run game, especially with improved tight end play. How are they on blitz pickup?
”It’s been no secret they’ve struggled, both with the first team and second team. They did get better as camp went on. I’m actually not too worried about them against anybody else. Yeah, you’d want more depth, but going against the first team defense all camp will have prepared them for the season. I think what nobody is talking about is they’re going to tire out defenses. The big boys are in pretty good shape.”

You’ve voiced concerns about offensive line aggression:
”The difference in the defensive line and offensive line isn’t purely talent, the d-line has some a-holes on it. You need that on the offensive line too. Losing Shack, he had some nastiness to him. Cosmi has it too. Angilau will get there.”

In the past you’ve said Christian Jones can be league average. Is that still the case?
”League average this year but better down the road. He’s athletic and wants to be physical. He needs to get more technical. I don’t want to undersell or oversell him, but I like him.“

Lots of o-line questions, as you can tell it’s my concern. Okafor?
”He’s more comfortable at guard than tackle because he can hold up against strength better than quickness in pass rush.”

Given UTEP isn’t good, your answer is predictable, but what’s the game plan heading in?
”I’m sure things will be kept vanilla. They won’t take the full install into this game; run their stuff, get good reps, stay healthy, get ready for the next game. That doesn’t mean they don’t want to step on their throats. That’s the goal, then get some guys some reps.”

Couple of notes:

— We’ve probably mentioned Alfred Collins a little more, but Vernon Broughton was described as the best interior pass rusher on the team when they slide him down. “He gets off the ball quick and he moves like a much smaller person. Overall the d-line is quicker off the ball than last year.”

-- Injuries: We have Jake Smith, Isaiah Hookfin, and Kelvontay Dixon as doubtful. Marcus Washington will play.

— Team captains were named: Chris Brown, Sam Ehlinger, Derek Kerstetter, Ta’Quon Graham, Sam Cosmi, Joseph Ossai, and Caden Sterns.

STATE OF RECRUITING

It’s a Good News, Bad News edition of SOR. The bad news is offensive line recruiting for the 2021 class isn’t showing many signs of life. After a recent trip to Austin, Highland Park three-star offensive tackle Jack Leyrer is poised to make his decision today. Despite the last-ditch efforts of the staff, we believe Leyrer will likely be planting trees in Palo Alto next fall. Texas was way too late on the offer.

Texas offered Mansfield Summit offensive lineman Jacoby Jackson this week. While flattered by the verbal invitation, we think UT has some catching up to do in this recruitment. The former TCU pledge is a big fan of Baylor, as well as Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. Who’s next? Good question. If you’re wondering about the state of o-line recruiting, here you go. The good news is the rest of the class seems to be coming together nicely.

We thought there was a chance Cy-Fair‘s LJ Johnson would have made a decision by now, but obviously the state’s top running back has not done so. As of now, the only concern we’ve picked up on from the Texas side is that he might have gotten cold feet. Obviously you’d rather have him the class than not, but we hear UT is still in good standing. When you’re recruiting against the battle tested schools Texas is, you know they’re all telling him something like “you’ve waited this long to decide, why not wait a little longer to see how the schools look?”

Another priority recruit to watch as the high school season begins is Shadow Creek‘s Terrence Cooks. The four-star linebacker was recently offered by LSU and made a trip to Baton Rouge last weekend. We think LSU made a credible push and asserted Itself into the conversation, but we also know Texas laid a solid early foundation in these sweepstakes, especially between Coach Hutzler and Cooks’ family. Cooks is back on his original October timeline. LSU will increase the degree of difficulty but Texas *should* stick the landing.

Texas continues to be the pace car in the Albert Regis 500. The future four-star defensive tackle from La Porte is fond of Mark Hagen and the UT staff, and it seems like the Horns prioritized him at the right time. Texas A&M is sticking around, but we feel good where Texas stands today. We like UT’s chances over A&M regardless, but the Ags also have a bigger numbers crunch at the position than UT.

We have Johnson, Cooks, and Regis penciled into the class. It’s not permanent, though we’ve written Johnson’s name with enough force to tear through the paper.

In wide receiver recruiting, Texas is still after McKinney North’s JJ Henry. The recruitment of the 2021 speedster could pay off for different reasons; Henry trains with Margin Hooks, who also happens to work with other top DFW pass-catchers like Armani Winfield and Jordan Hudson. That isn’t to say Henry isn’t a take in his own right. If you’ve read us for the last several months, you know that’s not the case. Henry likes UT and Florida State right now, and has previously mentioned wanting to decide before his senior season, but we’re unsure if that is still the case. With Casey Cain and Jaden Alexis already in, Henry appears to still be a priority for the staff. At a minimum, the staff is working to keep its options open with him.

Another name at receiver to keep an eye on is Dont’e Thornton. The Baltimore four-star recently picked up an offer from Texas. While we sort of scoffed at the late pursuit, upon further review this one might have legs. UT has some things going for it, namely, academics are important to Thornton. He wants to major in engineering or business and he wants to get far away from home. This is one reason Oregon is the leader — Eugene is about as far away from home as he can get. Normally a player from the DMV would profile to the Big East but they aren’t playing. The Pac 12 also isn’t playing. There’s opportunity for Texas to make a push with a highly productive passing game. One thing to keep an eye on, Mack Brown and UNC are also on his heels. That’s not exactly far away from home but it might be far enough.

Will recruits be able to attend games in 2020? They can’t receive tickets from the school - dead period rules - but don’t be surprised if you see a sprinkling of prospects in the stands as the season progresses. High school coaches can still receive tickets and could easily bring players along with them to contests on Saturdays. I think this is something you’ll see more of, granted the games continue and the ‘Rona is kept at bay.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton: Friday

Tomorrow night, I’ll be on my back porch in suburban Nashville with my TV tuned to LHN. I’ll have some brisket, cowboy beans and queso by my side. Where will you be?

As much as I wanted to watch good football last week, there just wasn’t any of it. So the Chiefs-Texans game last night was really the first real football game of the season to me. I’m constantly amazed with the creativity and production that Andy Reid gets out of his offense. And the Chiefs’ collection of skill talent is a treat to watch. They definitely have a type. Fast and quick. Size doesn’t matter all that much.

It makes me wonder what a trio like Josh Moore, Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith might be able to do if they are on the field simultaneously. Throw in Cade Brewer, Tarik Black or Jared Wiley as the bigger receiver, and maybe the Horns have some pieces of the KC puzzle if they were so inclined to use them. Reid is the best, most complete offensive mind in the league. And he has the perfect QB and personnel to match.

While we talk about what we expect from the Horns on O and D tomorrow night, also keep an eye on any injuries the Horns sustain. Early season injuries have a way of depleting depth. If the Horns can make it relatively unscathed through this week, it’d be nice to head into conference play healthy.

BTW - Covid tests for both teams are today. I do not think we will get any updates on results until tomorrow unless there is an outbreak that might cause a cancellation of the game. Doubtful that happens but wanted to give everyone a heads up.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Burton literally bringing less than nothing to the fucking table. Just jack shit every football fan fucking knows, and that he'll be eating Cowboy beans. Worthless POS. It's not that he's not putting in any work. If I were worth tens of millions I wouldn't work hard either. But I also wouldn't fucking pretend. Just retire you fat fuck and cash your checks. 

You must be worth hundreds of millions

18 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I never would have thought of that. 

Edit: That's Burton's quote. 

Make fun of the man all you want, but according to Looch, early season injuries allow the back ups to get quality reps and practice time and actually increase depth.  (I'm actually being sarcastic and admire the man for getting paid to write such drivel.)

5 minutes ago, destroya said:

Make fun of the man all you want, but according to Looch, early season injuries allow the back ups to get quality reps and practice time and actually increase depth.  (I'm actually being sarcastic and admire the man for getting paid to write such drivel.)

Or as Tarp puts it, losing your 2nd and 3rd TEs is actually a good thing because it allows the 1st TE more reps 

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

Seems like Eagles’ problem is the same issue we had with Armanti Foreman.  He seems to have issues with coaches and seems like his effort in practice isn’t 100%.  

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a very original and creative comparison that I’m sure you thought of on your own. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Bobby Burton: Gameday

Note: This is not a political post. Anyone who takes it as such does not grasp what I am attempting to convey.

Yesterday and today are two totally different feelings. Yesterday was somber. It was the 19th anniversary of 9/11. And America otherwise remains in the grips of a pandemic that none of us have ever endured anything like in our lifetimes. Try as we might, take precautions as much as we can, things are still different from a normal Friday in September. Even high school football is largely sidelined.

This morning though, I personally feel a different sense about the day. I have no doubt that it’s because something as simple as college football is back. I don’t deny that, on the surface, college football shouldn’t mean that much to me or to others. It shouldn’t change one’s psyche about something so serious. After all, I literally have a high school friend who has had 14 relatives hit by Covid-19. Four of them have died. How can you not be somber about that?

But college football does change me. It gives me hope that a future where we can get back to a sense of normalcy might exist and not be too far off. I’m guessing many of you feel the same.

I was reading Jeff Howe’s article about Longhorns’ in the NFL yesterday and something struck me. Somehow it had gotten past my attention that Trey Hopkins had signed a $20mm deal with the Bengals with $4.5mm guaranteed. From undrafted free agent to that much money. That’s quite the walk. Adrian Phillips did something similar. You have to be happy for those guys who endured when the chips were stacked against them.

I remember Hopkins and Phillips as recruits. Hopkins, out of North Shore, was either the first or second commitment of a recruiting class for Mack Brown. He was also one of his school’s top academics. That combo was rare for North Shore but maybe it gave us all a clue of what Hopkins was really made of. Phillips spent more time as a quarterback of Garland than he did at defensive back. Duane Akina offered him a scholarship after watching him workout. Coach Akina told me he loved Adrian’s toughness and mentality. Both of those aspects are key to what has allowed Phillips to persevere.

To summarize my feelings this morning, I guess you could say they are of hope. It’s good to see good things happen to people who work hard despite the odds. Hopefully we get to witness a little bit of that this evening when the Horns take on UTEP.

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Kaitori Leveston starting at Left Tackle for K-State.  He was a guy we targeted late in the 2018 class.

I don't get it--we offer late on some big names, we don't offer others, we don't seem to offer or pursue commits once they've verbally committed elsewhere (keep on them--never know if something affects, see Sully or COVID,  their decision down the road).  Just offer, monitor and pursue until they've signed somewhere.  Texas needs to recruit offensive line prospects like it's hungry. But more importantly, what is Hand"s ideal prospect in 2022? 

Edited by Mdhorn

14 hours ago, billy_bats said:

the funniest thing about thinking about this is seeing this on the front page of aggy traditions:

8119993853_362aa7be65.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

https://www.tamu.edu/traditions/aggie-culture/pennies-on-sully/index.html

PENNIES ON SULLY

Lawrence Sullivan “Sul” Ross, president of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas from 1891-1898, was known for his legendary efforts to keep the college open; he is often credited as the embodiment of Aggie Spirit and tradition. A statue of the former Texas governor — affectionately called “Sully” — now stands as one of the most iconic landmarks on campus, situated in the heart of campus in the Academic Plaza. Those passing by the statue will notice stacks of pennies piled on the statue’s base, each placed there by current students. The tradition to “put a penny on Sully” is another homage to Ross. It is said that Ross would help students with their homework, and when students would ask how they could repay him, Ross would reply with, “A penny for your thoughts.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2