Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

17 hours ago, Harvdog said:

10 years of getting Buttf’d in the mouth by OU, in-state recruits leaving and national media highlighting all the mistakes doesn't sit well with the BMD’s.  They want to win.  CDC wants to win.  UM wants to be the first to win MNC’S at 3 different schools. Texas has the money, the players and his ego would love to bring Texas football truly back.  Hire him and prepare to win 

200_d.gif  

7 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

How does one get buttfucked in the mouth?

Being that it was a euphemism I will expound. We literally have received the ass to mouth treatment from OU, in-state 5 star recruits and the media has killed us. Our recruitment of high caliber players has sucked. They would rather go to Norman, Tuscaloosa or Columbus than rot in Austin.  They have basically shoved their dicks in our collective asses and then shoved it in our mouths all while flipping off their home state to go play elsewhere. That’s cool no the coaches and development. UM will change that.  Open the truck, give him whatever he wants and let’s her back to winning 

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Time to re-engage with the 2021 class

It’s going to be a race to the finish in the 2021 class, and now is the time for Texas fans to reengage in the 2021 cycle because recruiting remains the lifeblood of every program. The next 18 days will matter with the early signing period set to begin December 16 and end December 18. The Longhorns currently sit at 19 commitments with a number of top targets left to decide. Needs in the class remain at offensive tackle, edge rush, wide receiver, running back and potentially safety and cornerback.

Key top targets to know:

Shemar Turner, DE/T, DeSoto
Turner has been the top uncommitted target on the board in Austin for a while now, and that will not change. Texas A&M has the momentum headed into December, but Turner is likely going to hold off until February to sign. Turner was planning to announce his decision during the Under Armour All-America Game Jan. 3 before the game was cancelled due to COVID.

Savion Byrd, OT, Duncanville
SMU is back to trending for the athletic and intelligent tackle with plenty of physical upside. Oklahoma remains in the hunt, along with Auburn. Byrd and Texas have continued talking with head coach Tom Herman speaking with Byrd last week. Byrd has been on the verge of making a student visit to Austin a couple of times this season. Byrd plans to announce his decision December 16.

L.J. Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair
Texas has continued to feel good about this recruitment, especially after Texas A&M took a running back in the cycle out of Miami Central. That doesn’t mean the the Aggies are out or not right there for Johnson, but there is even footing in terms of taking two backs in a class. Stay Drayton and Bryan Carrington have done a great job here.

Bryce Foster, OG, Katy Taylor
The two-sport lineman appeared to be headed to Oklahoma, but Texas A&M is said to have helped their cause with play on the field this season. At the start of the season, this was an Oklahoma vs. Texas battle.

J.J. Henry, WR, McKinney North
Texas has turned up the heat on Henry in the last week or two, and the quick playmaker has the Longhorns in his top eight. While there are eight schools on the list, this is more of a Ole Miss vs. Texas battle barring a major change.

Keithron Lee, WR/CB, Bryan Rudder
Texas offered the long-armed playmaker recently, along with TCU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas Tech and Arizona State. Texas A&M is sniffing around here too, but is yet to offer the hometown prospect. Lee wants to play receiver at the next level, but could be successful on either side of the ball.

Gharin Stansbury, DE/OLB, Franklin (LA)
The Arizona State verbal has a serious interest in Texas. His brother Gavin Stansbury signed with Texas A&M, but finished his career at Houston, and still has ties to a couple of key Texas staff members. His brother likes the idea of Gharin playing at Texas.

David Abiara, DE, Mansfield Legacy
Abiara is a complete wildcard after an off the field incident. The former Notre Dame commitment is uber talented, and the Longhorns were running second to Notre Dame until the incident. Randall Joyner has had SMU well positioned for the upset at various times during this recruitment too.

Remington Strickland, OG/C, Fort Bend Christian
Oklahoma appears to be the favorite for this muscled up interior prospect with Texas A&M also having recently offered. Texas offered recently as well, but is considered third among the trio currently.

Texas would love to flip:

JoJo Earle, WR, Aledo
Flipping the December graduate is a long shot, but Earle has remained in contact with Texas throughout the summer and season. The Longhorns desperately need wide receivers that can make defenders miss and maximize YAC.

Andrew Mukuba, S, Austin LBJ
The Clemson verbal has remained in contact with Texas since committing, with Mukuba reaching out to Texas to make sure the Longhorns know he is still listening.

Five Texas should try and flip:
Ezra Oyetade, C/G, Lakeview Centennial
Texas should have offered the Arizona State verbal long ago. 6-foot-3, long-armed offensive line prospects that can dunk a basketball don’t exactly grow on trees. I’ve discontinued trying to make sense of why Oyetade wasn’t offered months ago.

Chris Murray, OLB/DE, Wichita Falls Hirschi
Texas needs edge rush ability, and more physical players in the front seven. Well, the TCU commit is just that. Flip on his senior HUDL, and he screams physical ball player with good arm length and strong hands.

J. Michael Sturdivant, WR, Flower Mound Marcus
Another one of the head scratchers in the 2021 cycle in terms of Texas not offering. The Cal verbal is 6-foot-2 and change, weighs 185 pounds and ran a sub 4.6 laser on grass in July.

Jaydon Williams, OLB, South Oak Cliff
Another Arizona State commit that the Longhorns should still make a run at. The 6-foot-2, 200-pounder has fast twitch with the ability to play downhill and close with cat like reactions. He can play in space and in coverage.

Jacoby Jackson, OT, Mansfield Summit
Texas offered the Texas Tech verbal, but didn’t push after the commitment of Max Merrill. Texas needs another tackle in this class, whether it be high school or the one-time transfer rule.

Texas could offer:

Austin Uke, OT/G, Parish Episcopal
Herb Hand had a Zoom call with Uke a week ago, but has yet to offer the 6-foot-3.25 T/G with an 80-inch wingspan. USC has the mom's attention as of a week ago. Florida State, SMU, Georgia tech, Penn State and Houston are also among the offers for the former Holy Cross verbal. A lot of word play potential with this one.

Je'lin Samuels, DE, Pasadena Sam Rayburn
SMU defensive line coach Randall Joyner did a great job relationship building with the 6-foot-6, 225-pound senior riser to the point of quickly beating out Arizona State, Colorado, Mississippi State and Houston. Since that time, Baylor has also offered, and the Longhorns and Aggies remain offer possibilities.

Ahmonte Watkins, RB/ATH, Klein Forest
This dude is really fast. He’s 10.5-10.6, and it carries over to the field. Texas should have offered long ago. Should the Longhorns jump in the mix, the chief competition is Texas A&M, Louisville, Texas Tech and Mississippi State. The desire to play running back is the holdup to offering for some schools, including Texas.

Marvin Covington, CB, Lake Ridge
The senior riser with 10.8 100-meter speed has offers from TCU, Miami, Baylor, Mississippi State, Texas Tech and Houston since the beginning of the season. The Longhorns have been monitoring.

Garfield Lawrence, DE/T, Tyler Legacy
The East Texas senior has impressed on the field this year. The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder with strong hits has offers from Arkansas, Kansas State, Tennessee, Colorado and SMU, among others. Texas has been keeping tabs on Lawrence for about a year.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If we land Meyer, who is the first recruit to flip back? 

IDK, but first order of business should be to try like hell to get some OL.  Myslinski is likely to bolt because he's a Herb Hand guy.  Needs to be on the phone with Byrd everyday.  Offer Ezra.  Get some guys in the portal that has starter experience from a P5 program ( is the Center from Ole Miss still available?? ).

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

I have to believe that Meyer could flip the brocks still, all he has to do is wear one of his rings and say something easy like “that herman guy is a dumbass ain’t he? I’ll make both your boys nfl draft picks.” Is the Bosa father a helicopter parent like Blake? 

Just hire Brent Key and Joe Brady.

• Hook 'Em 1

It doesn't take Urban Meyer to win at Texas, plenty of coaches can do it. Its just a matter of finding the right one. CUM is simply the low hanging obvious choice
This year, at this point in time..he's the only choice.

Assuming we're serious about winning and championships that is.

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Myslinksi definatel, he's here because of Hand.  Cain?  Who knows with OOS?

Sad but, it's not like we have some prized offensive recruits.  My favorite offensive recruit is Juan Davis who I swear will be the steal of this class.  Kid does everything.

I'm worried about the defensive side of the ball with this class.  We have a solid LB class.  I think Ibraheem, Coffey, Sanders, Thomas are going to be hounded, if not already, by a lot of schools once the axe falls.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, gmr548 said:

Quick Google shows the ND kid was recently arrested for criminal trespass/attempted robbery. It may be ND decommitting from him.

per folks at reddit (yeah, yeah, yeah) ND found out about the arrest due to twitter/papers not because he said anything to them.

59 minutes ago, NoName said:

Cain has been a Yurcich special, so wonder if he is tied to him in any way?

Wasn't it rumored he was looking around but tightened it back up with Texas?

Yep.. the word was that Brooks, Cain were looking around.. well actually reaching out to multiple schools... the bad part was that, the other places weren't as receptive :( 

58 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If Herman gets let go and UM takes the job, the entire offensive class minus Hayden Conner, Jaden Alexis, and Juan Davis needs to be gutted.  

no.. you'd still take them all, even for just depth.. and trust that your Development can make them serviceable.. if not... there are ways to process these players out

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

If Herman gets let go and UM takes the job, the entire offensive class minus Hayden Conner, Jaden Alexis, and Juan Davis needs to be gutted.  

I think Helm should be on this list as well. 

Wright is probably good for the QB room and depth because I think he stays all 5 years despite probably never making the 2-deep and that cohesion/knowledge at the 3rd spot is good for the program if drastic shit occurs. He's not Drones or Milroe but with Card/JQJ in front of him and a 2022 behind him, I think it's a good fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

yikes

i did not realize how poorly Myslinski, Merril, and Wright are rated.

Myslinski is 137 in FL (pure center takes are always going to be underrated, but still)

Merril is 156 in TX

Wright is 163 in TX

2021 class is going to be the transition class to a new head coach. Guessing most will be back ups/special team at the beginning anyways. So, Urbs first call should be to the Ewers family. I haven't seen this mentioned, but if Urbs is hired.....not much time to get assistant coaches hired. Which I would guess would be who the recruits would want to know first. I know urbs has a lot of pull but he isn't coaching the OL.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

2021 class is going to be the transition class to a new head coach. Guessing most will be back ups/special team at the beginning anyways. So, Urbs first call should be to the Ewers family. I haven't seen this mentioned, but if Urbs is hired.....not much time to get assistant coaches hired. Which I would guess would be who the recruits would want to know first. I know urbs has a lot of pull but he isn't coaching the OL.

He has time to really work Ewers but yeah a call or a public offer would be a good first step.  As far as the 21 class.. how many of the offensive players will be hot commodities to flip elsewhere?  I think most stick.  Now the defensive side is still pretty strong.. So I do hope Ash/Hutzler and Valai are retained.. even OG.  Then Urban can get his first big win with Turner since he won't announce til February. Hell there may be a lot of players waiting to sign til February.

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: New targets in play for Texas?

It could be an eventful month as we head toward 2021. Reports of decisions concerning Tom Herman's position as Texas head coach continue to gain steam. As always, instability at the top leads to a ripple effect in recruiting. While things are still unclear on the recruiting trail, there is some new information to be had and there are ramifications to any changes made in the offseason.

Where does Texas stand with the priority 2021 targets left on the board? While the Longhorns are still in the race for one four-star prospect, the clock is running out on another. There are also several new updates on 2022 prospects including an old name starting to hear more from Texas and an update on the timeline for one of the most coveted playmakers in the 2022 class.

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we discuss all of these subjects and what the ramifications of a coaching change could be for the existing group of 2021 commits.

—As Chip Brown reported over the weekend, discussions are expected to take place over the weekend regarding the future of the program and Tom Herman’s job. On the recruiting front, that puts a bit of a hold on everything for now. As I’ve been saying over the past month, recruiting is somewhat stuck in neutral until there’s some resolution on the coaching front. While I will still do everything I can to keep you up to date on the latest news, it’s likely that most new information is going to be on a hold until we have some understanding about where things are headed in the future. It’s about to get really busy on the recruiting front, but I believe we still have a few more weeks to wait.

—Nick saw Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson over the weekend. The four-star prospect said he’s planning to sign early, but he conceded that his timeline is up in the air and could very well stretch into February. Johnson continues to talk with the Texas staff and sees a lot of opportunity at Texas. He’s been watching production from the backs at both Texas and Texas A&M, and he’s noticed how well the Aggies are running the ball. Still, Texas remains in this race and it could get very interesting if he decides to extend his timeline into February. LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Penn State are a few of the other schools Johnson is talking with at this time.

—Nick also saw new Texas offer Conner Weigman in the same game. After putting on a great performance in a huge win, Weigman talked openly about how surreal it is to see his recruitment take off the way it has. A dual-sport star with legitimate talent on the baseball diamond, Weigman wants to find a school that will let him play both sports. Weigman was very high on Texas when asked about the Longhorns. He mentioned that he grew up a Texas fan which fits with what we’ve heard from several others at Bridgeland High School.  The Texas baseball staff offered Weigman early, so he definitely has the opportunity to play both sports in Austin.

—Duncanville OL Savion Byrd announced his intent to make a decision on December 16, which is the first day of the early signing period. I mentioned last week that Byrd’s decision to sign early effectively killed the chances for Texas to land the elite offensive tackle, and the intel I picked up in the last week seems to support that. Where do I think he’s headed? In the spring I heard very strong buzz that SMU would be the eventual pick.

Over the summer, it seemed like Oklahoma took the lead and there was even talk that Byrd was a silent commit to the Sooners. In the last few weeks I’ve been hearing a considerable amount of chatter around the hometown Mustangs again. After changing my 247Sports Crystal Ball pick to Oklahoma over the summer, I’ve decided to flip it back to SMU and put my confidence in the Mustangs to land the All-American offensive tackle.

—I spent some time with four-star Frisco Liberty wide receiver Evan Stewart last week. Though he’s injured and can’t currently play, he’s in the middle of a strong season. While it seems like everyone in the state seems to be committing, Stewart doesn’t seem to be in any hurry right now. Recruiting is pretty new to him in comparison to some of the more highly ranked prospects in the state who made recent decisions and wants to be able to take visits and enjoy the fun parts of the recruiting process that COVID-19 robbed them of this year. Stewart got to know Quinn Ewers while he was committed to Texas, and he definitely wants to play with him at the next level. However, he doesn’t yet hold an offer from Ohio State. There is still a lot of time for things to play out completely in the recruitment of one of the top players in the state in 2022.

—Mansfield Legacy defensive lineman David Abiara recently decommitted from Notre Dame. Texas offered him back in the summer and they’ve continued pursuit since that time. During the spring and summer, there was heavy momentum surrounding Abiara and a flip to Oklahoma, but it seems that Lincoln Riley and his staff decided to go another direction. SMU was also in contention and a darkhorse to land him, but I’m told the Ponies are also looking to go in another direction. Abiara ran into some legal trouble this year that he’s still working out, but Texas was scheduled to have a Zoom call with him late last week. We are still trying to determine how hard they are pushing to land the athletic defensive end.

—For the last few months, there hasn’t been much movement with Texas and Jadarian Price. After offering the four-star Denison running back after his freshman year, Price had a few ups and downs with contact. After speaking with him over the weekend, it sounds like the contact with Price is picking back up. The 2022 prospect told us that Stan Drayton has increased contact lately and Texas is a school that’s been on his mind. As of now, it sounds like Oklahoma State, Stanford and the Longhorns are the three programs he likes most. He’s been to Stillwater and Austin several times, and I get the sense Texas could close him if they push. Price is actually circling a somewhat early position which could come just after their season ends.

—The staff is still looking into several transfer candidates as they look to plug holes with immediate help. I’m told that the staff made contact with Penn State transfer candidate Trent Gordon last week. The former Manvel high school product signed with Penn State in the 2018 class and moved from cornerback to safety during the offseason. During his career, Gordon recorded 21 tackles and five pass break ups. After not finding much playing time at any position, Gordon decided to enter the transfer portal. During his high school years, Gordon was trained by DFW skills trainer Clay Mack. Mack and Jay Valai have a relationship going back to Valai’s time as a trainer in Dallas. Texas is still in the preliminary stages, but Gordon is a name to watch for Texas.

—Texas fans aren’t the only folks talking about a coaching change. Members of the Texas class know that the possibility is on the table and are exploring their options. From checking around, I’m not sure anyone is on the verge of making a decommitment, but there are guys vetting secondary options in the event of a coaching change. With the early signing period beginning December 16, a coaching change would put a huge time crunch on any commit planning to sign early. Any coaching upheaval is going to make for a bumpy ride, so prepare for a hectic run over the next few weeks and months.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:36 PM, NoName said:

yikes

i did not realize how poorly Myslinski, Merril, and Wright are rated.

Myslinski is 137 in FL (pure center takes are always going to be underrated, but still)

Merril is 156 in TX

Wright is 163 in TX

Myslinkski is underrated because of his size. His dad is former NFL and he's a work out fiend. Plus he's a trained stick fighter.