Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Wiltfong - predictions for top 2021 uncommitted prospects.

Spoiler

National Signing Day: Updated predictions for 2021's top uncommitted players
STEVE WILTFONG

Less than a week before next Wednesday’s National Signing Day, there are only a few blue-chip recruiting battles remaining on the board. But that doesn’t mean it won’t be exciting.

So many of these recruitments are still up in the air. We dive into where things stand heading into the weekend.

5-STAR DE J.T. TUIMOLOAU
Prediction: Ohio State

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 3

High School: Sammamish (Wash.) Eastside Catholic

As we expected, Tuimoloau will push his decision past National Signing Day so he can visit Ohio State for the first time and return to Alabama. Ohio State remains the 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast including my prediction. I think Ohio State’s track record of producing high draft picks at the position along with the relationship with Larry Johnson has the Buckeyes in great shape, but certainly you can’t count out Alabama with the likes of USC, Oregon and Washington also pushing.

4-STAR RB LJ JOHNSON

Prediction: Texas A&M

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 44

High School: Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair, Running back

The blue-chip running back has graduated high school and could have enrolled early at the school of his choice. But he’s struggling to decide between Texas and Texas A&M. There’s nothing more to it than that. Johnson is still asking each program questions and gathering information. Texas was the clear leader in September but he wasn’t able to go public with his plans. Over the course of the season this recruitment has evened out. There still seems to be more buzz around the Aggies lately.

4-STAR LB RAESJON DAVIS

Prediction: USC

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 48

High School: Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

USC is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite, including my forecast, but Ohio State and Oregon are also in this recruiting with the Buckeyes getting a visit over the weekend. The Trojans have shown Davis improvement on the field and recruited several talented defensive players in the class of 2021. Proximity also helps. But Ohio State is a place Davis knows he can accomplish everything he’s looking for within a culture that excites him. It was a strong visit to Big Ten country and the Buckeyes have at the very least made this one interesting down the stretch.

4-STAR DT TYWONE MALONE

Prediction: Texas A&M

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 59

High School: Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic

This is a change from last week, when I was predicting Ole Miss. I think the current buzz lies with Texas A&M after talking to a couple sources regarding with the recruitment and it sounds like it will go to the wire between them and Ole Miss. Elijah Robinson has the Aggies in great position and there have also been several Zooms with the baseball staff in College Station as well. Ole Miss has been there from the beginning led by Chris Partridge’s efforts and Malone has a nice connection with John Rhys Plumlee and Jerrion Ealy, who play both sports in Oxford. Florida State is the third program in the mix. He’s visited all three in the last month and sources indicate nothing is final with Malone’s college plans as well. Malone will Zoom one more time with each finalist before the weekend and then shut it down and decide from there.

4-STAR WR BRIAN THOMAS JR.

Prediction: Too close to call! 

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 86

High School: Walker (La.) High

The three finalists remain the same, Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M. In the fall, LSU looked like a distant third. They seem to be rising late, so much so I could see Thomas staying in-state and choosing the Tigers. The Aggies remain steady. The family, particularly the parents, seem to love head coach Jimbo Fisher and the staff. I could obviously see him there too. The Crimson Tide need to restock their receiver room and Thomas has been a prospect they’ve coveted. There was a time that’s where I thought he would end up. I don’t think Thomas has made up his mind and is still working through the process.

4-STAR S TERRION ARNOLD

Prediction: Too close to call!

Top247 Ranking: No. 104

High School: Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic

Last week the pick was for Florida but as expected it's really tightened up between Alabama, Florida and Georgia. The Crimson Tide led in the spring and Nick Saban’s track record developing defensive backs are one of the several reasons he’s high on the Crimson Tide. Arnold has always had a special place in his heart for Florida but the Gators already have three safeties committed. Do they take a fourth? Meanwhile Georgia is doing everything they can to land Arnold, building rapports with his coaches and his family, and they had a good Zoom meeting with Arnold on Wednesday. I still think Georgia had to get some questions answered for Arnold, particularly why some players transferred, to make him feel more comfortable in Athens. Arnold told 247Sports he’s trying to visit Gainesville and Tuscaloosa one more time before National Signing Day. We’ll see if that happens.

4-STAR WR DESTYN HILL
Prediction: Florida State

247Sports Composite Rank: No. 112

High School: New Orleans (La.) Edna Karr

I still like Florida State for the speedy receiver out of Louisiana. They’ve been considered the favorite since March and while there were times where maybe that was up and down, it seems like this one continues to point towards Tallahassee.

4-STAR CB AVANTE DICKERSON

Prediction: Oregon

247Sports Composite Ranking: 123

High School: Omaha (Neb.) Westfield

The Top247 cornerback will announce his college decision Wednesday morning as part of the 247Sports National Signing Day Show and I like Oregon coming in for the former Minnesota commit. Dickerson got a chance to go out and visit Eugene and sounds like it was a good experience. Cornerbacks coach Rod Chance has been recruiting him for a long time and they have a strong connection. Nebraska would love to keep him home but unless something changes, the intel appears to be with the defending Pac-12 champs.

4-STAR LB TREVIN WALLACE
Prediction: Kentucky

247Sports Composite Ranking: No. 205

High School: Jesup (Ga.) Wayne County

A week ago I felt great about Auburn. Not so much any more. Linebackers coach Jon Sumrall has Kentucky in terrific position down the stretch. I do think a late offer from Georgia could be a game-changer and the Bulldogs have been keeping the lines of communication open here. Auburn is still in play but they’ve gone from favorite heading into the Early Signing Period to fighting to stay alive down the stretch.

4-STAR ATH TITUS MOKIAO-ATIMALALA

Prediction: Unclear

247Sports Composite Ranking: 303

High School: Ewa Beach (Hawaii) James Campbell

According to lead expert Blair Angulo, UCF was the program trending but the obvious coaching change with Josh Heupel leaving for the head job at Tennessee stymied the momentum for the Knights. UCLA could be the benefactor there but they also lost their receivers coach to Arizona. Mokiao-Atimalala has strong relationships in Pullman so don’t sleep on Washington State sneaking in there and landing the four-star from Hawaii.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:44 PM, closetojumping said:

Some thoughts that might be worth what you’re paying for them:

-LJ Johnson - this is a crazy recruitment. Dude presses to graduate early. Then he might not show up for spring at either school. He has a chance to compete for backup at either school, instead this guy is going to do footwork for the spring at home and then redshirt after showing up in June? Neither group of coaches is loving the lack of competitiveness. 

-True to form, the LB from UTenn is going to make sure he gets his. Bama is the likely outcome. If Texas gets this guy, well, bags for sure be droppin’. 

-The ol’boy out of Seattle ain’t signing on NSD2. He might give Texas an actual look and make it fun, but he’s going to Ohio State. 

-I am not the only guy watching CFB religiously that thinks Charvonnet is a depth guy. The guys at Texas that are paid to do this are pursuing him because they know better. 

-Abiara is as close as a lock as we could hope for those still unsigned for 2021. 

-The PWO kicker is exciting for the staff. Family, HT to @Hank Scorpio, is loaded. Laramie had PWO offers from everyone accordingly.  He’s worth a scholarship. 

If you have an open and obvious question that I didn’t touch on for what is left in this shit show of a class, LMK. I have been hustling on different calls all day and then cooking and got a couple of calls while whipping something up and might not be remembering everything. 

For whatever reason LJ didn't play his last high school game from Katy Tompkins. It was speculated that he was sick but watching from the stands he was dressed out on the sideline. Some others in the stands say he "opted out."

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

as someone who follows Giant Bomb - a website about video games - let me tell you that there are some very dark Garfield things out there on the internet and if you spend more than about 2 seconds looking into it you will find some disturbing stuff.

Spoiler

joqwx746lmr11.jpg

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Ieremia-Moore-Cal-Bears-football-recruiting-football-commitment--160051034/

"There's a few other schools I'm talking with too but I'm hoping to have my decision made by the weekend. I'm just looking for the right scheme fit and where I think I'll fit in the best overall."

We had a chance to see Moore in action last November at the SoCal National Preps Showcase and he was very impressive. He took home DL MVP honors and was one of the best prospects at the event. 

His story is about as unique as it gets. He’s a rugby player from New Zealand who came over to Bosco in the off-season.

“I never really played football over there,” Moore told us following the camp. “I played what I guess you could call recreationally or club ball but nothing like what football is like over here.

“I played with some older guys just for fun and people told me I was different in terms of my size, mentality and explosiveness. I was told I needed to come over here to play football so that’s what I ended up doing.”

Unfortunately for Moore, he came over during a pandemic and wasn’t able to go through a traditional spring or summer evaluation period. At 6-4, 270 pounds, Moore is extremely athletic for his size and moves around like a player in the 220 pound range.

He's an inside/outside guy, meaning he has the athleticism to play on the edge but the frame to bulk up and play on the interior as well. He can bend, change direction and has very good short area quickness. 

COMMENTS
Even with a lack of game film, had colleges been able to see Moore work out in person and see his rare combination of size, fluidity and athleticism, he would probably be holding double digit scholarship offers right now.

Edit to add: This is from PK. It looks like Washington is trying to decide whether to take him, but he's taken virtual visits as recently as last weekend. Have not found any camp tape. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Bill Murray only voiced the movie Garfield because he thought it was being directed by Joel Coen of the Coen brothers. Instead it was being directed by Joel Cohen. True story.

Well if you saw the Zombieland Double Tap it's because drugs cost money 😂 I can't not laugh at him saying that in his dry wit/deadpan voice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Ieremia-Moore-Cal-Bears-football-recruiting-football-commitment--160051034/

Edit to add: This is from PK. It looks like Washington is trying to decide whether to take him, but he's taken virtual visits as recently as last weekend. Have not found any camp tape. 

1 hour ago, Zhorn96 said:

CB picks are for Cal at present but UCLA just offered as well so who knows where he ends up

Christ. 

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Trust the PK Fire. He'd fit in good in a 3 man front if he spins down. Could also play linebacker like Cory Redding. Oscar Giles would lock this recruitment down if he was still here. Stars don't matter. Colt and Cosmi were 3 stars. Looks like a coach-on-the-field in the making.

OjdPgU.gif

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

From that Wiltfong article...oof. Only in it for one guy, a lot of us aren’t really that interested in him, and he’s likely going aggy anyway. 

Wait.  A lot of us aren't really that interested in LJ Johnson?  Just because allegedly he starts trending away from us, let's not act like we don't want the kid. 

It's not ideal that he's taking his time deciding and that has supposedly rubbed both coaching staffs the wrong way.  And he apparently has subpar Sr tape (I haven't watched it so can't comment).  But I think you'd have a hard time finding people that would not be happy if he committed to us.  Both staffs are pushing hard and that tells you all you need to know.  Especially considering some of the other backup plans being explored.  Seems the staff wants another RB in 2021, and Johnson is far and away the best option left.

Hell, even if he doesn't turn into a great player, winning this head to head with A&M gives us a little momentum and kicks off the 2022 class.  And Bijan and he are close, so once he gets to campus, I'd hope that he picks up on Bijan's work ethic.  I think this would be huge if we can get him in the fold.