Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I don't think scholarship money is really an issue - his dad makes 925k per year...  (he's DePaul's HC for basketball). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But the structure of the team and the academic support he received likely helped him keep his ass out of trouble. Never doubt how much that matters to a lot of people

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

No not lost. Had this kind of thing happen to my family and it was very scary. Hope it never happens to any of you that's all and I'm gone.

The issue isn't whether carjacking is or is not bad. (It's bad).

The issue is whether he was involved, or whether he was just in a stolen car that got pulled over.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

So do you not follow Texas football recruiting or what....? It was a big deal during the Xanax dealing scandal.

At least get a decent sense of the situation before commenting.

I had a bit of a lull in my interest at that time.  Apathy.  Knew there was a xanax thing, didn’t know the details.

As to Ibraheem, I say as Good Christians and Americans we should give any young man who made an innocent mistake in judgment and can cover man-to-man or zone in the Big 12 a second chance.
It's the right thing to do.
Should we put it to a vote here and send CDC the results?
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:
As to Ibraheem, I say as Good Christians and Americans we should give any young man who made an innocent mistake in judgment and can cover man-to-man or zone in the Big 12 a second chance.

Should we put it to a vote here and send CDC the results?

Only if one of the options is “Fire CDC”

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

I don’t really understand what you are asking but the point isn’t “don’t give kids second chances because they might not ever be starters”. 

Are we giving second chances to everybody or just to great athletes? I'm all for second chances but don't be a hypocrite. You don't know what he did and you don't care but we both know we need him to compete. As for Reese, he was a wasted football scholarship.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are we giving second chances to everybody or just to great athletes? I'm all for second chances but don't be a hypocrite. You don't know what he did and you don't care but we both know we need him to compete. As for Reese, he was a wasted football scholarship.

We aren’t giving him something he didn’t earn already. We would be choosing not to take it away. 

if a regular student applicant was accepted and their acceptance was in jeopardy then they are only at risk of losing what they had earned. 

3 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

AKA the Bobby Bowden principle Dadgummit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I’m not sure what it says about you that the assumption is I’m being a hypocrite and am only cool with second chances for great athletes. I’ll clear it up for you though, yes I’m absolutely for giving second chances to any young person who fucks up (within reason) regardless of their athletic ability and likelihood of helping Texas win a big 12 championship. 

That second chance obviously looks different for different people. For Ibraheem, it’s giving him the chance to go to school and play football at UT. Privileges that he earned but then put jeopardy by making a bad decision.

Again, not sure why you assume I don’t care what he did. First thing I said in this conversation is that the specifics do matter. 

Now again, what in the fuck does the fact that Reese didn’t live up to your standards on the football field have to do with any of this? Are you seriously saying his quiet career is evidence that second chances aren’t a good idea because players that need them won’t be good at football?

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

During a new coach's transition class? You're a strange fan.

I had dinner which is why I didn’t respond immediately.  If not recalling the exact circumstances under which a 2nd tier recruit was recruited, at a time when I had battered wife syndrome from Late Mack and Stong, makes me a bad fan, than so be it.  I ceased giving a fuck for a while there, I hope you understand.

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Has there ever been an average UT football player that worked his ass off in the classroom and became a  damn good doctor?  Brett Robin?  Reese Leiato career path?  Good for Reese.  I hope he makes it.  

that path is easier for him than others. 

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

Has there ever been an average UT football player that worked his ass off in the classroom and became a  damn good doctor?  Brett Robin?  Reese Leiato career path?  Good for Reese.  I hope he makes it.  Randy Peschel says hi.  

Richard Walton?

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I’m not sure what it says about you that the assumption is I’m being a hypocrite and am only cool with second chances for great athletes. I’ll clear it up for you though, yes I’m absolutely for giving second chances to any young person who fucks up (within reason) regardless of their athletic ability and likelihood of helping Texas win a big 12 championship. 

That second chance obviously looks different for different people. For Ibraheem, it’s giving him the chance to go to school and play football at UT. Privileges that he earned but then put jeopardy by making a bad decision.

Again, not sure why you assume I don’t care what he did. First thing I said in this conversation is that the specifics do matter. 

Now again, what in the fuck does the fact that Reese didn’t live up to your standards on the football field have to do with any of this? Are you seriously saying his quiet career is evidence that second chances aren’t a good idea because players that need them won’t be good at football?

Most of my comments, maybe all, on the subject have been tongue in cheek. Personally, I don't care if Sark drank excessively or if Ibraheem carjacked. All I care about is if we have a good football team that is fun to watch. I have enough security in my own life that whatever they do in their personal lives has no effect on me even if it makes the University look bad. But fuck Reese in his cadaver sniffing ass for taking up needed scholarships that we could have used on productive athletes that win.

BTW, is there anything interesting going on to close this class out? The last worthwhile news was Hank's son Laramie, the PWO kicker.

Dr. Micheal Bayer was a national champion under Royal who likely never played much but went on to be an incredible pediatrician. The other doctor at his practice (Jack Lewis, I think) played basketball, if I remember correctly. He was right around 11 feet tall. 

There was an ortho, too. The guy that Applewhite lived with for awhile

9 hours ago, Lou_Sassle said:

He's apparently passing up Yale to be a PWO.

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

If he wants to stay in Texas for his career, it's not a bad choice.

1) As was pointed out above... Teenagers make bad decisions.

2) I've heard that it is possible to go out of state for undergrad and return to UT for grad school. (I have dozens of friends who did this with law school & business school. MANY more than doubled up on UT undergrad & grad school.)

3) My older brother went to Yale and I went to UT. If I were that kid's parents, I would not allow that kid to go to UT. And as a preferred walk-on, he's going to need money from home.

4) Last night my mother was reading off the acceptance rates of top colleges and the numbers are tiny due to how many kids took a gap year due to COVID. Being an Ivy League letterman sets you up in life, even in Texas, well beyond being a preferred walk-on at Texas. And if you, for some reason, want to live anywhere else in the USA... or world, and never get a UT grad degree, you would basically have your name on a list at the door before you even knew what that door led to.

If I were his parent, I would be furious.

Hook 'em

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

2) I've heard that it is possible to go out of state for undergrad and return to UT for grad school. (I have dozens of friends who did this with law school & business school. MANY more than doubled up on UT undergrad & grad school.)

3) My older brother went to Yale and I went to UT. If I were that kid's parents, I would not allow that kid to go to UT. And as a preferred walk-on, he's going to need money from home.

4) Last night my mother was reading off the acceptance rates of top colleges and the numbers are tiny due to how many kids took a gap year due to COVID. Being an Ivy League letterman sets you up in life, even in Texas, well beyond being a preferred walk-on at Texas. And if you, for some reason, want to live anywhere else in the USA... or world, and never get a UT grad degree, you would basically have your name on a list at the door before you even knew what that door led to.

Hook 'em

mike jude GIF by Idiocracy

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Hook 'em

Your chart says you’re fucked up...

• Hook 'Em 2