Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I went and reviewed his rep history and was not surprised to see the majority of his rep pumping came from 3 culprits who just repped his ass over and over and over - @texifornia @Burt Macklin and @SydneyCarton. Christ.

I did leave you, and I'd like to promise that I'd never do it again, but as soon as I find a better class of losers than you asshats, I'm throwing a smoke bomb and disappearing. The search continues.

I must say that this would be an excellent way for @SydneyCarton to troll you though.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

"Slight frame may scare some programs off. Long speed isn’t elite." A 5'10" 185lb running back who is quick but not fast is kind of a red flag.

As a surprise addition to the back of a transition class in an effort to bolster uncertain depth at the position? Christ, dude. The red flags you worry about with these guys are not of the measurable variety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

As a surprise addition to the back of a transition class in an effort to bolster uncertain depth at the position? Christ, dude. The red flags you worry about with these guys are not of the measurable variety. 

Worried isn't the issue. The issue is going from Gray and LJ and skipping Charbonnet because he is a jag and then closing with basically a long-term jag seems like a bad plan. The best explanations seem to be that Sark thinks that he is a difference maker or that we aren't all that interested.

Just now, Bevo said:

Worried isn't the issue. The issue is going from Gray and LJ and skipping Charbonnet because he is a jag and then closing with basically a long-term jag seems like a bad plan. The best explanations seem to be that Sark thinks that he is a difference maker or that we aren't all that interested.

We didn't skip Charbonnet because he's a jag. We skipped him because he's a jag who demanded lead back carries. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bevo said:

"Slight frame may scare some programs off. Long speed isn’t elite." A 5'10" 185lb running back who is quick but not fast is kind of a red flag.

I'd be surprised if he was really 5'10. His legs look on the short side. I'm thinking 5'8 ish...

Yet another year and the number of RBs that we didn’t even bother recruiting, guys that would’ve committed, that are far superior to that fucking OOS spare is fucking the infinite set.

To be fair he’s tiny-framed but counters being undersized by being slower than our DEs. 

Drayton’d once again. What a worthless piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yet another year and the number of RBs that we didn’t even bother recruiting, guys that would’ve committed, that are far superior to that fucking OOS spare is fucking the infinite set.

To be fair he’s tiny-framed but counters being undersized by being slower than our DEs. 

Drayton’d once again. What a worthless piece of shit. 

I was waiting for this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Getafix said:

PERRONI

UPDATE MON. 12:15 PM: I had two different people tell me this morning that Georgia was the team to watch for. I put in a Crystal Ball pick for the Bulldogs. But, I think this is a recrutment that will continue all the way up until he signs.

Who is this for?

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

PERRONI

UPDATE MON. 12:15 PM: I had two different people tell me this morning that Georgia was the team to watch for. I put in a Crystal Ball pick for the Bulldogs. But, I think this is a recrutment that will continue all the way up until he signs.

Just now, Machinator said:

Who is this for?

Bear. Wrong thread, @Getafix.

Look at the whole image

Didn’t see that. I stand corrected. Telling someone you’d kill them with your bare hands is indeed threatening.

Not to rationalize the whole LJ thing but is he the kind of guy who’ll be satisfied splitting carried with RJ off the bench for 2 more years? I don’t know his temperament but in the games this year where Ingram was healthy, Bijan barely got carries as the #3. And doesnt Sark have a reputation of riding his starters more than Herman?

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

Didn’t see that. I stand correct. Telling someone you’d kill them with your bare hands is indeed threatening.

Not to rationalize the whole LJ thing but is he the kind of guy who’ll be satisfied splitting carried with RJ off the bench for 2 more years? I don’t know his temperament but in the games this year where Ingram was healthy, Bijan barely got carries as the #3. And doesnt Sark have a reputation of riding his starters more than Herman?

He's the kind of guy who seems like he'd have been satisfied spending a whole semester "speed training" and playing video games, so work ethic is a concern

5 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Didn’t see that. I stand corrected. Telling someone you’d kill them with your bare hands is indeed threatening.

I believe splitting carries with Bijan was our pitch to him and he was receptive to that. I can't say if that's still the pitch with Sark though.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He's the kind of guy who seems like he'd have been satisfied spending a whole semester "speed training" and playing video games, so work ethic is a concern

I am reminded of our former 4-star OL JPU. At the end of his sophomore season at his Texas HS, his family decided he would transfer to DeMatha Catholic in Maryland to play his junior season, but he would not move until the end of the school year. Rather than go through offseason in the spring with his Texas teammates, his family decided he would "work out" on his own until he moved in the summer. Needless to say, he never improved as a player.

His junior season in Maryland was a flop and he moved back to Texas for his senior year, which was also a flop. He got to Texas and it was decided he would have to re-shape his body. He never contributed to the program and ultimately grad-transferred to Texas State, where I think he still didn't play any meaningful snaps. 

What's that saying? "It sucks to suck."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

So now we're concerned with LJ because he may pick aggy? This is the first time I've heard anything negative from any of y'all regarding the kid until he's set to make his announcement. If he goes to aggy so be it.

I don't think there is anything special about him as a player, FWIW.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

So now we're concerned with LJ because he may pick aggy? This is the first time I've heard anything negative from any of y'all regarding the kid until he's set to make his announcement. If he goes to aggy so be it.

Far from the first time it's come up that both staffs are sick of his waffling and concerned that right after working so hard to graduate early, he doesn't seem to actually want to go play college ball.

Roach

Spoiler

— There seem to be some concerns about recruiting right now, and it's understandable seeing other targets head to other schools in the waning hours of 2021. I'll ask you to look back to the last time Texas had a transition before the 2018 class. While Tom Herman initially came in with a lot of excitement, the transition was less than smooth as Herman and staff missed out on quite a few targets down the stretch including K'Lavon Chaisson, Walker Little and Javelin Guidry. That same staff went on to sign the No. 3 class in the country in its first full cycle. This staff is a much better group of recruiters on paper, so give it some time to see what they can really do.

— Ishmael Ibraheem will be signing with Texas on Wednesday. The four-star cornerback from Dallas Kimball seems to have cleared everything up with the staff and the decision was signed off on by those in the athletic administration. I'm set to speak with Ibraheem this week and will have a long-form story on him Wednesday.

— We are aware of a report that Stan Drayton interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles for a position on their staff. While I haven't been able to confirm if that happened or not, a source close to Drayton told me that they would be surprised if the Texas running backs coach went anywhere else. I was told that Drayton is excited about the talent currently assembled in his room and the possibilities on the recruiting front next year. In fact, Drayton has been hard at work evaluating running backs from 2022, 2023 and 2024 classes.

— Bear Alexander announced over the weekend that he was ready to make a commitment.  I have not heard from anyone close to Alexander, but the word on the street seems to be growing stronger that Alexander will likely end up at Georgia.  Since I don't have it from anyone close to him yet, I'm not going to enter a 247Sports Crystal Ball, but it sounds like the Dawgs are the favorite to land the Denton Ryan interior disruptor.

— Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek offensive lineman Jacob Sexton released a Top 5 today that included Texas along with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Alabama.  I mentioned a few weeks ago that Texas was doing good work with Sexton, and his relationship goes back to Alabama with Kyle Flood.  Oklahoma is probably the favorite, but I wouldn't count the Longhorns out.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach

Hide contents

— Bear Alexander announced over the weekend that he was ready to make a commitment.  I have not heard from anyone close to Alexander, but the word on the street seems to be growing stronger that Alexander will likely end up at Georgia.  Since I don't have it from anyone close to him yet, I'm not going to enter a 247Sports Crystal Ball, but it sounds like the Dawgs are the favorite to land the Denton Ryan interior disruptor.

Confirmed, Roach reads surly

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach:

Bear Alexander announced over the weekend that he was ready to make a commitment.  I have not heard from anyone close to Alexander, but the word on the street seems to be growing stronger that Alexander will likely end up at Georgia.  Since I don't have it from anyone close to him yet, I'm not going to enter a 247Sports Crystal Ball, but it sounds like the Dawgs are the favorite to land the Denton Ryan interior disruptor.

Hide contents

— There seem to be some concerns about recruiting right now, and it's understandable seeing other targets head to other schools in the waning hours of 2021. I'll ask you to look back to the last time Texas had a transition before the 2018 class. While Tom Herman initially came in with a lot of excitement, the transition was less than smooth as Herman and staff missed out on quite a few targets down the stretch including K'Lavon Chaisson, Walker Little and Javelin Guidry. That same staff went on to sign the No. 3 class in the country in its first full cycle. This staff is a much better group of recruiters on paper, so give it some time to see what they can really do.

— Ishmael Ibraheem will be signing with Texas on Wednesday. The four-star cornerback from Dallas Kimball seems to have cleared everything up with the staff and the decision was signed off on by those in the athletic administration. I'm set to speak with Ibraheem this week and will have a long-form story on him Wednesday.

— We are aware of a report that Stan Drayton interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles for a position on their staff. While I haven't been able to confirm if that happened or not, a source close to Drayton told me that they would be surprised if the Texas running backs coach went anywhere else. I was told that Drayton is excited about the talent currently assembled in his room and the possibilities on the recruiting front next year. In fact, Drayton has been hard at work evaluating running backs from 2022, 2023 and 2024 classes.

— Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek offensive lineman Jacob Sexton released a Top 5 today that included Texas along with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Alabama.  I mentioned a few weeks ago that Texas was doing good work with Sexton, and his relationship goes back to Alabama with Kyle Flood.  Oklahoma is probably the favorite, but I wouldn't count the Longhorns out.

what a troll lol

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Reminds me of Toneil Carter.

Carter ran a 4.56 at The Opening and was listed at 205 on the SHSU roster. Carter was #162 in the composite, and the composite #26 recruit in Texas.

LJ Johnson measured at like 204 and ran a 4.42 at The Opening. He is the #44 national composite and #9 in Texas.

So, no. He really shouldn't remind you of that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Carter ran a 4.56 at The Opening and was listed at 205 on the SHSU roster. Carter was #162 in the composite, and the composite #26 recruit in Texas.

LJ Johnson measured at like 204 and ran a 4.42 at The Opening. He is the #44 national composite and #9 in Texas.

So, no. He really shouldn't remind you of that guy.

They also aren't similar runners in regards to running style