Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Suchomel-

I said a few weeks ago that I wouldn't be moving my FutureCast pick from Texas unless I felt I had good reason to do so. As of this morning, I'm flipping it to A&M.

keeping Drayton is already paying dividends, I see.

Also LOL at the chorus of "he's a headcase/future portaler/next Zach Evans" reactions immediately following this update. Not at all transparent.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Also LOL at the chorus of "he's a headcase/future portaler/next Zach Evans" reactions immediately following this update. Not at all transparent.

Dude we've been talked about both staffs getting fed up with him for weeeeeks

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I'm shocked that you would have a pessimistic interpretation of this. 

• Haha 5

Both coaching staffs are concerned about him potentially fucking around in Cypress for five months instead of enrolling early, "LOL"

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, NoName said:

Carter ran super upright IIRC?

Yeah, basically an outside upright runner whose hudl was mostly breaking big runs through wide open holes, while LJJ runs inside, breaks tackles, and creates yardage in general while having enough speed to sometimes hit home runs 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

My suggestion that he is a Zach Evans starter kit has nothing at all to do with anything Jason Suchomel had to say. It was because of all the twists and turns in the $9.95 reporting, because he graduated early and is seemingly aimless at this point, and because he didn't play in his team's last game. I don't mind passing on red flag recruitments from time to time. I said that before that (formerly) fat tub of shit Javonne Shepard (now just a tub of shit) signed with us and I stand by it.

We need a strong team atmosphere and fewer headcases for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Does this mean you'll be optimistic about something if Drayton leaves? i dont think this is possible season 3 GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

My suggestion that he is a Zach Evans starter kit has nothing at all to do with anything Jason Suchomel had to say. It was because of all the twists and turns in the $9.95 reporting, because he graduated early and is seemingly aimless at this point, and because he didn't play in his team's last game. I don't mind passing on red flag recruitments from time to time. I said that before that (formerly) fat tub of shit Javonne Shepard (now just a tub of shit) signed with us and I stand by it.

I thought Shepard got super skinny

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Will you have your autobiography published before or after your suicide?  The Surly Jar, by Sarvia Plath.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Well keeping Drayton was allegedly one of the factors even giving us a chance, so....

35 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well considering Texas is about to sign Ibraheem and Abiara, both of whom have been recently arrested...

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Well considering Texas is about to sign Ibraheem and Abiara, both of whom have been recently arrested...

Definitely something to watch.

But I was just giving MY opinion. It appears that Texas coaches are willing to take Johnson, Ibraheem, and Abiara. I have no control over any of the takes.

55 minutes ago, satyanash said:

You must've been busy relishing in some other Texas misfortune the past week and a half, missing the reservations that have been had on here about LJ. Pretty got damn transparent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Apparently Daniel Young is back on the team? I realize it’s only a one year stop gap but that should provide the depth we need for 2021, no?  

Surprised to hear Daniel Young is back with the team after appearing  in this video discussing Herman Firing.   Still doubtful that he'll be on the roster next fall for the 2021 season...

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Carter ran a 4.56 at The Opening and was listed at 205 on the SHSU roster. Carter was #162 in the composite, and the composite #26 recruit in Texas.

LJ Johnson measured at like 204 and ran a 4.42 at The Opening. He is the #44 national composite and #9 in Texas.

So, no. He really shouldn't remind you of that guy.

Carter ran a 4.38 at one of the events and was sub-10.5 in the 100m.  His shuttle was also good.

They both remind me of guys whose athleticism on paper and highlights don't match.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

cliffs?

Couldn't make it through the whole thing. Audio was a beating. But Young basically said he felt Texas may have pulled the trigger too fast with Herman and there was a lot of stuff going on in the offseason with the pandemic etc. He was careful with his words. Said everything happens for a reason and something about liking Sark.

TFB (CJ Vogel) on Uke

Spoiler

I was out at Parish Episcopal again this afternoon to chat with rising OL Austin Uke with National Signing Day being just two days out.

The final five for Uke will be the following Texas, USC, Stanford, Penn State and Northwestern. He said he spoke with coaches from all five schools today between classes.

*** I posted on January 20 that I felt like the Cardinal had a slight edge in his recruitment.

From my conversation with Uke and being able to see how he lit up when each school was brought up during the interview, I tend to believe Stanford has a slight edge over the Longhorns with OU right behind the two of them. I would not count out Florida State who appears to have the longest relationship with Uke of any school he is currently considering.

Still, if I had one of those crystal ball things, I’d probably throw it on Stanford with a 4ish confidence level. After talking with a source close to his recruitment, it sounds like a leader flips back and forth from day to day and decision may come down to who had the best last conversation with him. But in the end, I think the appeal of a Stanford education in the field of his choice will be too tough to overcome in the end for either school.

Having talked with him again today, it feels like USC, Stanford and Texas have separated themselves as the three teams to watch from the rest of the pack. Uke’s mother is pushing hard for the Trojans while the allure of Stanford speaks for itself, but Uke himself had some fine things to say about the Longhorns.

Admittedly, I did not expect to be saying Texas would be in a position to land Uke after our last meeting and hearing some buzz around USC. While the Longhorns still need to win the last 48 hours, there is certainly still a chance. Uke spoke highly of the two of them in our conversation Monday afternoon.

“I’ve been talking to Coach Flood and Coach Sark basically every day,” Uke said. “You know, I think our relationship is pretty good. Just spending time to get to know them and know what they do with their players – I really do trust them when it comes to being able to develop me and making a safe environment where I don’t have to worry about things. I really do trust them.”

Uke also spoke highly of the city of Austin: “In the future it’s really going to be like a new LA or second LA.”

If Texas were to come out as the choice on Wednesday, Uke said it would be due to the following:

“They have a really good engineering mentorship program, so that’s a big one right there,” Uke said. “High-level football. With the (incoming) Alabama coaches and maybe a future Heisman Trophy back there at running back, that’s something hard to pass up… Growing up in Texas, and when you see the Longhorns you’re like ‘man, one day I just want to hopefully get a chance to play for them’ so having the opportunity to play for them is a dream come true.”

Uke said he is real close with Denzel Okafor as well. But did not expand on their conversations about Texas football or the college life at The University of Texas.

*** So again, while Uke certainly had tremendous things to say about Texas, yet I do not feel comfortable saying the Longhorns have a definitive edge over USC or Stanford. His mom really, really likes USC and the idea of a Stanford degree was something that really stood out to him today and the first time I spoke with him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB (CJ Vogel) on Uke

Reveal hidden contents

I was out at Parish Episcopal again this afternoon to chat with rising OL Austin Uke with National Signing Day being just two days out.

The final five for Uke will be the following Texas, USC, Stanford, Penn State and Northwestern. He said he spoke with coaches from all five schools today between classes.

*** I posted on January 20 that I felt like the Cardinal had a slight edge in his recruitment.

From my conversation with Uke and being able to see how he lit up when each school was brought up during the interview, I tend to believe Stanford has a slight edge over the Longhorns with OU right behind the two of them. I would not count out Florida State who appears to have the longest relationship with Uke of any school he is currently considering.

Still, if I had one of those crystal ball things, I’d probably throw it on Stanford with a 4ish confidence level. After talking with a source close to his recruitment, it sounds like a leader flips back and forth from day to day and decision may come down to who had the best last conversation with him. But in the end, I think the appeal of a Stanford education in the field of his choice will be too tough to overcome in the end for either school.

Having talked with him again today, it feels like USC, Stanford and Texas have separated themselves as the three teams to watch from the rest of the pack. Uke’s mother is pushing hard for the Trojans while the allure of Stanford speaks for itself, but Uke himself had some fine things to say about the Longhorns.

Admittedly, I did not expect to be saying Texas would be in a position to land Uke after our last meeting and hearing some buzz around USC. While the Longhorns still need to win the last 48 hours, there is certainly still a chance. Uke spoke highly of the two of them in our conversation Monday afternoon.

“I’ve been talking to Coach Flood and Coach Sark basically every day,” Uke said. “You know, I think our relationship is pretty good. Just spending time to get to know them and know what they do with their players – I really do trust them when it comes to being able to develop me and making a safe environment where I don’t have to worry about things. I really do trust them.”

Uke also spoke highly of the city of Austin: “In the future it’s really going to be like a new LA or second LA.”

If Texas were to come out as the choice on Wednesday, Uke said it would be due to the following:

“They have a really good engineering mentorship program, so that’s a big one right there,” Uke said. “High-level football. With the (incoming) Alabama coaches and maybe a future Heisman Trophy back there at running back, that’s something hard to pass up… Growing up in Texas, and when you see the Longhorns you’re like ‘man, one day I just want to hopefully get a chance to play for them’ so having the opportunity to play for them is a dream come true.”

Uke said he is real close with Denzel Okafor as well. But did not expand on their conversations about Texas football or the college life at The University of Texas.

*** So again, while Uke certainly had tremendous things to say about Texas, yet I do not feel comfortable saying the Longhorns have a definitive edge over USC or Stanford. His mom really, really likes USC and the idea of a Stanford degree was something that really stood out to him today and the first time I spoke with him.

He definitely hasn't given anything away.  Not a single pick on 247 or Rivals yet.

Is Uke's mom going to enroll wherever he goes?

Why would a MOM be really high on USC?

I can understand a kid, but a mom? (Although I do have a friend who is a Parish mom at the moment who went to USC undergrad and UT for her MBA and maybe she's filling Uke's mom with USC sorority stories, tailgate stories, and Balboa Island yacht party stories at the parent gatherings.)

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He definitely hasn't given anything away.  Not a single pick on 247 or Rivals yet.

funny enough, the school with the most (recent) follows from Uke is Tennessee. only a handful (like 1-2) of any other school/program/995ers for Stanford and Texas. nothing clear in his likes.

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

funny enough, the school with the most (recent) follows from Uke is Tennessee. only a handful (like 1-2) of any other school/program/995ers for Stanford and Texas. nothing clear in his likes.

based on our luck and how the 2020 season went.. he goes elsewhere, just ready to wrap this class up and to look forward to Spring practices, recruiting visits opening up.

C'mon Uke, forget the PAC 12 and sign with TEXAS !!!

“They have a really good engineering mentorship program, so that’s a big one right there,” Uke said. “High-level football. With the (incoming) Alabama coaches and maybe a future Heisman Trophy back there at running back, that’s something hard to pass up… Growing up in Texas, and when you see the Longhorns you’re like ‘man, one day I just want to hopefully get a chance to play for them’ so having the opportunity to play for them is a dream come true.”

Edited by LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Other than playing school at Stanford, I'm not sure why any Texas kid would want to play in the Pac 12. 

It's a good academic school in the heart of Los Angeles with a laughably easy walk into the Playoff if they have their shit together. This isn't Oregon State.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's a good academic school in the heart of Los Angeles with a laughably easy walk into the Playoff if they have their shit together. This isn't Oregon State.

But will SC get their shit together? I think they'd have to go undefeated to make the Playoff. Not an easy task with a 13 game schedule, 9 conference games and the conference championship, plus Notre Dame, and Clay Helton is their head coach. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

But will SC get their shit together? I think they'd have to go undefeated to make the Playoff. Not an easy task with a 13 game schedule, 9 conference games and the conference championship, plus Notre Dame, and Clay Helton is their head coach. 

The Texas West approach by Helton is so bizarre. I half expect Herman to pop up as an analyst there. Then again, Orlando and Carrington are familiar with how to coach and recruit with a lame duck head coach. Experience matters.

Now that their own Urban dream is dead, I bet Harrell gets the nod if they don't win at least 9 games. It's unlikely that there will be a major, "SC" style figure available next offseason. I thought they would bring Carroll back for two seasons before he retired after Helton if they couldn't get Urban, but he's over 70 now and his contract runs through 2025. Ideally for us, they drag it out and go after Kubiak or similar. With Sark here, it is more important than ever for them to be down. Also just warms the heart.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The Texas West approach by Helton is so bizarre. I half expect Herman to pop up as an analyst there. Then again, Orlando and Carrington are familiar with how to coach and recruit with a lame duck head coach. Experience matters.

Now that their own Urban dream is dead, I bet Harrell gets the nod if they don't win at least 9 games. It's unlikely that there will be a major, "SC" style figure available next offseason. I thought they would bring Carroll back for two seasons before he retired after Helton if they couldn't get Urban, but he's over 70 now and his contract runs through 2025. Ideally for us, they drag it out and go after Kubiak or similar. With Sark here, it is more important than ever for them to be down. Also just warms the heart.

This. They own almost every private school in Southern California. Arizona is loaded. Plenty of good players in Vegas. 

Maybe SC wants to recruit players that actually have game film in 2020. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Sounds eerily similar to another Team with which we’re all too familiar...”It's a great academic school in the heart of TEXAS with a fairly easy walk into the Playoff if they have their shit together. This isn't Okie State” 

• Hook 'Em 2