Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

(Bobby Burton) Tuesday: Quick catch-up from yesterday

There were a few more important updates of consequence yesterday than usual. Here they are in case you haven’t kept up:

- In the most logical move ever, Vince Young has rejoined the Texas athletic department as a special assistant to Chris Del Conte.

- Although he has yet to speak publicly on the matter, Cy Fair running back LJ Johnson is expected to choose Texas A&M over Texas on Wednesday. Given Johnson’s decision, Texas had reached out to Camar Wheaton, but the Metroplex speedster is expected to stick with his pledge to Alabama.

- Texas offered two new class of 2022 prospects a scholarship: TE Jason Llewelyn of Aledo and OL Connor Robertson of Austin Westlake. Both were crowned state champions just weeks ago. Gerry and Justin spoke to them both and will have more later today.

- Coach Shaka Smart has returned to the Texas basketball team after Covid-19 kept him away. No. 6 Texas hosts No. 2 Baylor tonight at 6pm in the Drum. The game will be televised on ESPN.

The known prospects that Texas continues to pursue for national signing day this Wednesday remain:

WR Keithron Lee - Bryan Rudder
OL Austin Uke - Dallas Parish Episcopal
DL David Abiara - Mansfield Legacy
DB Ishmael Ibraheem - Dallas Kimball

I say the move of VY back inside the athletic department is the most logical ever, because it simply is. When I worked at UT as an undergrad for the football video group in the late 80s and early 90s, our office was right next to that of Earl Campbell’s. Earl didn’t show up every day. That wasn’t his gig even then. However, when he did show up in the office, it was awesome. There was an energy around the place that wasn’t there the day before simply because he was a living example of what the Longhorn football team and players could be. VY, whether he realizes it or not, can have the same effect on the department and the team if he truly embraces the roll.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 5

SIAP, Hamilton on Uke

Spoke with a pair of sources close to the recruitment of 2021 OT/G Austin Uke in the last 12 hours. Stanford has been, and continues to be the favorite of the mom. Texas has gained with the mom, however. Texas has grown on Austin as well. Look for the Texas staff to make a big push today headed into Wednesday, obviously. All hands on deck for Texas. USC, Northwestern etc... are looking like peripheral preferences barring a last 24 hour change.

• Hook 'Em 2

Other than playing school at Stanford, I'm not sure why any Texas kid would want to play in the Pac 12. 

But will SC get their shit together? I think they'd have to go undefeated to make the Playoff. Not an easy task with a 13 game schedule, 9 conference games and the conference championship, plus Notre Dame, and Clay Helton is their head coach. 

Really? You can’t see why a kid would take a scholarship to go play football at a blue blood, get an education on par with UT, and live in LA? Come on man.

Your second point applies to Texas essentially word for word. And remember whose OC Helton was.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

- Coach Shaka Smart has returned to the Texas basketball team after Covid-19 kept him away. No. 6 Texas hosts No. 2 Baylor tonight at 6pm in the Drum. The game will be televised on ESPN.

Well, that's not promising.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's a good academic school in the heart of Los Angeles with a laughably easy walk into the Playoff if they have their shit together. This isn't Oregon State.

LA right now is a disaster. Literally everyone there is bailing on vacations or locked in their homes miserable. I imagine this will pass by the time this kid gets on campus but it will always be a shitshow there with something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

LA right now is a disaster. Literally everyone there is bailing on vacations or locked in their homes miserable. I imagine this will pass by the time this kid gets on campus but it will always be a shitshow there with something. 

It's LA - the weather is still perfect, the scenery (and people) is beautiful, the beach and mountains are still there. The glamor of the film industry is still there. Post-COVID being an SC football player will still be a great lifestyle.

It'd not like they're going to go hang out on Skid Row or pay CA income tax.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's LA - the weather is still perfect, the scenery (and people) is beautiful, the beach and mountains are still there. The glamor of the film industry is still there. Post-COVID being an SC football player will still be a great lifestyle.

It'd not like they're going to go hang out on Skid Row or pay CA income tax.

No income tax on McDonald's bags full of cash. But, you can bet your ass that CA will take state income tax from NIL payments.  

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

I'll have to tell my best friend that he lives in a hellscape out of a dystopian novel later today. Per his IG, right now he's out at Glen Helen (motocross track) cranking out laps. Poor bastard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'll have to tell my best friend that he lives in a hellscape out of a dystopian novel later today. Per his IG, right now he's out at Glen Helen (motocross track) cranking out laps. Poor bastard. 

I thought he lived in Canada.

40 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Want to know how I know you don't live in LA?

• Hook 'Em 7

SIAP, Roach notes

Spoiler

— I spoke to a source yesterday regarding Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington. Carrington flew out to southern California over the weekend, and I was told USC really rolled out the red carpet. Carrington is expected to sit down with Steve Sarkisian this week to discuss his options, but the source I spoke with said he would be incredibly surprised if Carrington turned down what the Trojans are offering. The role would get Carrington closer to an on-field role which he covets, and it would allow him to branch out more from just being a recruiting guy. The role would provide an important step on the career ladder for him. A decision is expected in the next week, and right now, it sounds like Carrington will be moving on from what we are hearing.

— As of this morning, nobody has a solid handle on what Parish Episcopal offensive tackle Austin Uke will do. According to two sources I spoke with, Uke still hasn't made a decision and doesn't seem to be leaning one way or another. One source I spoke with believes this race will come down to Stanford and USC, and if his parents step in, Stanford would likely be the pick. Another source I spoke with feels it will likely come down to Texas and Stanford. Stanford being the consistent one in the intel could mean the Cardinal are the favorite, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus from Uke's family right now.

— If Texas doesn't land LJ Johnson, I don't expect them to jump in on any running backs last minute. The staff was monitoring a few other recruits including Dothan (AL.) RB Jaylin White, but I don't believe the Longhorns will actually jump in with an offer. The staff is excited about what they signed with Jonathon Brooks and are excited about the potential of the 2022 class, and they won't take a body just to take one.

• Hook 'Em 5

Mike Roach: Previewing National Signing Day for Texas commits and targets

Wednesday’s National Signing Day will pretty much put the lid on the 2021 Texas class. The Longhorns signed the majority of the group in December, but Steve Sarkisian and his staff will put the finishing touches on the transition class tomorrow. February’s National Signing Day isn’t as active as it used to be, but there are still a few things to look forward to for Texas fans. Let’s take a look at what’s on the docket for the Longhorns.

Keithron Lee, WR, Bryan Rudder

Lee made his commitment to Texas on Christmas day, but it was too late to sign during the early period. Lee doesn’t say much, but he hasn’t wavered since making that decision Lee will sign his letter of intent in a ceremony at his school.  Horns247 will be there to cover.

Ishmael Ibraheem, CB, Dallas Kimball

Ibraheem is set to sign after resolving some legal issues and working things out with the staff. The four-star cornerback will be a welcome addition to the class and a nice skillset for Terry Joseph to develop. Ibraheem will sign during a public ceremony at his school at 11 AM.

LJ Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair

There’s no word on if Johnson will have an official signing ceremony as of yet, but sources expect him to make an announcement this week. As of today, momentum seems to be with the Aggies. My pick is on Texas A&M barring any last-minute changes.

David Abiara, DE, Mansfield Legacy

Abiara has been trending toward Texas since the Longhorns re-offered. A source near the four-star defensive end indicates that Texas seems to be in the driver’s seat as we near Wednesday’s ceremony. Abiara will make his decision at 10 AM during a public ceremony at his school. Horns247 will be there to cover.

Austin Uke, OL, Dallas Parish Episcopal

Uke’s recruitment has the most intrigue left. Texas would love to add the offensive tackle to its class, but Kyle Flood is working with a limited clock and fighting off a few other programs. USC, Stanford and Northwestern are the main competitors for Uke, and the Trojans have been a strong front runner for a while. Stanford is a favorite of the family, and there has been some talk about keeping him close to home. This pick is still up in the air.  Uke will decide at Noon tomorrow.  Horns247 will be there to cover.

If Carrington was staying, he wouldn’t have been AWOL this week. This seems to be a classic wait until after signing day to announce to not ruffle any feathers. Other than LJ, he wasn’t the key point on any major target. So I assume once LJ announces, BC is gone. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Welcome to the party. Your shitty experience doesn't dictate the experiences of the other four million people living here.

You are about 9 million short. You know how I know you don’t live in LA? 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Texas Flood said:

You should go outside. It feels great today

You guys are some surly fuckers, that's for sure. I never said that I was cowering in fear in Los Angeles. The weather is beautiful today, as it usually is. The point is that the argument that LA is some sort of irresistible celebrity utopian paradise that no recruit or their parents could resist, is no longer really true right now. This city is not what it was. It will always be LA, and will always have an allure, but there are serious issues right now all across this city and if you don't see it then congrats on living your dream life in Malibu. 

Now let's get back to bitching about recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sam Marsdale: Where things stand between Texas and Texas A&M with four-star running back LJ Johnson

One of the top uncommitted prospects in the 2021 recruiting class is four-star running back LJ Johnson out of Cypress (TX) Cy-Fair High School. The No. 44-ranked overall player and No. 4-ranked running back according to the 247Sports Composite seems to be down to Texas and Texas A&M for his decision.

The composite’s ninth-ranked player from the Lonestar State is expected to make his college decision during Wednesday’s National Signing Day, according to 247Sports director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong. On Monday’s episode of the Football Recruiting Podcast, Wiltfong took a deep dive into Johnson’s decision-making process.

“I do expect LJ Johnson to make his college decision on Wednesday, at least that’s what a couple sources are indicating,” Wiltfong said. “He could have decided and enrolled early -- he’s struggling with his decision between Texas and Texas A&M. That’s how hard it is. This is a young man who graduated from high school early and could have enrolled early. I think at one point Texas was the clear leader, but with some changes to the coaching staff, I think that rocked it a little bit. (Running backs coach) Stan Drayton is still there -- he’s got a great relationship with the running backs coach.

“Texas A&M has been near the top the whole time too with (running backs coach) Tommie Robinson leading the charge. Jimbo Fisher and what he’s been able to do over the course of his career with guys like Dalvin Cook. I think that this has been a tough decision and he is analyzing every bit of information down the stretch in trying to figure out if he's a Longhorn or an Aggie.

“I think Oklahoma had a chance for at one point too for LJ Johnson, but Texas and Texas A&M are the schools with the buzz here down the stretch. That one could go either way.” Listed at 5-foot-10, 204 pounds, Johnson received a comparison to former Carolina Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart in his player evaluation from 247Sports Midlands region recruiting analyst Gabe Brooks in Nov. 2019.

“Owns a close to prototypical running back build,” Brooks wrote. “Adequate height with impressive build. Not long, and already north of 200 pounds, but should be able to get to 220 if desired. Combines impressive big-play ability with high-volume grind. Hole-puncher who hits it hard. Impressive lateral quickness in the hole. Enough foot quickness to make defenders miss at first and second levels. Naturally low pad level. Wins one-on-one battles at second level with leverage and strength. Gets downhill in a hurry. Great top-end speed with eye-opening verified 4.42 40. Encouraging block-following instincts and vision.

“Limited exposure to pass-catching. Will need to prove three-down competency. One of the nation's top 2021 running backs. High-floor player who could star at Power 5 level and become an early-round NFL Draft prospect.”

Edited by satyanash

5 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

You guys are some surly fuckers, that's for sure. I never said that I was cowering in fear in Los Angeles. The weather is beautiful today, as it usually is. The point is that the argument that LA is some sort of irresistible celebrity utopian paradise that no recruit or their parents could resist, is no longer really true right now. This city is not what it was. It will always be LA, and will always have an allure, but there are serious issues right now all across this city and if you don't see it then congrats on living your dream life in Malibu. 

Now let's get back to bitching about recruiting.

Don't care. Still moving there.