Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So can some of the 25 man limit dorks give us a view on where we’re at if Texas lands:

-Worthy

-Davis

-Gaotatorade

-Ovie-O-Ooooo

-Mystery Man who would start for anyone 

Thanks in advance and don’t tell me we wouldn’t have room for the last guy because he isn’t a hypothetical as a factor. 

Can take four of the above max, I believe. I did the math awhile back, and I think Sark confirmed the number around NSD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Can take four of the above max, I believe. I did the math awhile back, and I think Sark confirmed the number around NSD. 

What's the timing on all of this? IIRC, we landed Schooler last August and he's technically a '21 counter. When do these guys start counting toward '22? Fall camp? 

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

What's the timing on all of this? IIRC, we landed Schooler last August and he's technically a '21 counter. When do these guys start counting toward '22? Fall camp? 

I'm not sure, but I'd guess that whatever the date is where you have to have your roster trimmed to 105 or fewer would make sense. I think I remember A&M boards talking about potentially delaying Earnest Crownover's enrollment until a certain date in fall camp so that he'd count for the next class. Maybe an autist can read the rules to figure it out if someone cares enough 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, let’s go, Fud. This is where I was headed and needing to understand. Think outside the box or we’re going to have to add 25-man limit manipulations to @Burt Macklin’s workload or dig rpongett’s decaying corpse out of a secluded area of the Zilker Park grounds and necromance him back into action. 

Something I've seen on Bama boards before; utilizing voluntary withdrawal replacement scholarships, which they claim don't count against the 25, but only against the 85

NCAA Bylaws:

15.5.6 Football Limitations.

15.5.6.1 Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] There shall be an annual limit of 25 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1) and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football at each institution. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 12/15/06)

15.5.6.3 Initial Counters—Football (Also see Bylaw 15.02.3.1).

15.5.6.3.1 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering in Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution who enters in the fall term and receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) during the first academic year in residence shall be an initial counter for that year in football. Therefore, such aid shall not be awarded if the institution has reached its limit on the number of initial counters prior to the award of institutional financial aid to the student-athlete.(Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering After Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.6.3.3 Recruited Student-Athlete, Aid Received After First Year. [FBS/FCS] A recruited student-athlete (per Bylaw 15.02.8) (including a student-athlete who was not a qualifier) who first receives athletically related financial aid after the student-athlete’s first academic year in residence shall be an initial counter for that academic year in which the aid is first received, if such aid is received during the fall term. However, such a student athlete who first receives athletically related financial aid in the second or third term of an academic year may be considered an initial counter during the academic year in which aid was first received or the next academic year. In either case, the student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/3/06, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.6.3.4 Nonrecruited Student-Athlete Receiving Institutional Financial Aid. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the institution who receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) after beginning football practice becomes a counter but need not be counted as an initial counter until the next academic year if the institution has reached its initial limit for the year in question. However, the student-athlete shall be considered in the total counter limit for the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.6.3.5 Midyear Replacement. [FBS/FCS] A counter who graduates at midyear or who graduates during the previous academic year (including summer) may be replaced by an initial counter, who shall be counted against the initial limit either for the year in which the aid is awarded (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or for the following academic year, or by a student-athlete who was an initial counter in a previous academic year and is returning to the institution after time spent on active duty in the armed services or on an official religious mission. In bowl subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year to the maximum number of overall counters (85 total counters). In championship subdivision football, an institution may use the midyear replacement exception only if it previously has provided financial aid during that academic year that equals the maximum number of overall equivalencies or overall counters. (Revised: 4/20/99 effective 8/1/99, 6/8/99, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 8/2/05, 12/15/06, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08, 4/2/10, 1/15/11)

15.5.6.3.6 Aid First Awarded After Second Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who has been in residence at the certifying institution for at least two academic years may receive athletically related financial aid for the first time without such aid counting as an initial award, provided the aid falls within the overall grant limitation. (Adopted: 1/11/89, Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90)

15.5.6.3.7 Recruited Student-Athlete, Varsity Competition. [FBS/FCS] In accordance with Bylaw 15.5.1.2, a recruited student-athlete (per Bylaw 15.02.8) receiving institutional financial aid certified as having been granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability becomes an initial counter in the first academic year in which the student-athlete competes on the varsity level. (See Bylaw 15.5.1.2.1.) (Revised: 10/27/05 effective 8/1/06, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

15.5.6.3.8 Returning Two-Year Transfer. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who previously was an initial counter and who transferred to a two-year college shall not be an initial counter upon return to the original institution.

15.5.6.3.9 Delayed Initial Counter Who Does Not Return to School. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete who receives countable financial aid but whose status as an initial counter under this bylaw is delayed until the following academic year shall be counted against the initial limit the following academic year, regardless of whether the student-athlete reports for participation or attends the institution in that academic year.

15.5.6.4 Exceptions.

15.5.6.4.1 Voluntary Withdrawal. [FBS/FCS] An institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws from the football team by providing the financial aid to another student who already has enrolled in the institution and is a member of the football squad. For this replacement to occur, the counter must withdraw prior to the first day of classes or before the first game of the season, whichever is earlier, and provide the institution with a signed statement releasing the institution from its obligation to provide institutional financial aid and verifying the voluntary nature of the withdrawal. The institution may immediately (beginning with the fall term) award the financial aid to a student-athlete who has been a member of the team for at least one academic year and has not previously received athletically related financial aid. A student-athlete who has not been a member of the team for at least one academic year may not receive the financial aid during the fall term, but may receive it in a following term (e.g., spring semester, winter quarter). (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Any of you fuckers conjure up Randolph Duke to the recruiting board, there's going to be a fatwa.

Yeah, I have to second this. I will Liam Neeson find you and murder you and pin it on South Austin if that fuckface is summoned. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

WR Xavier Worthy, Michigan via Central East (Fresno, CA) - 2021: Buckle up. One of the fastest kids from the 2021 cycle is running away from Ann Arbor with Austin on his mind. The 10.5-10.6 four-star receiver from Cali has been angling to get out of his LOI with Michigan for months now. He announced yesterday he was formally requesting his release. Texas is the favorite and we aren’t sure who the competition is.

It's known that Steve Sarkisian is a big fan of Worthy, and was recruiting him heavily for over a year at Alabama before he signed with Michigan.

In speaking with a number of sources, IT is told that Texas is the frontrunner for Worthy and admission to Texas should not be an impediment if Worthy wants to be at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

No way any previous Texas coach would have kept in touch with a recruit like this and pulled it off. It’s the definition of tampering and I love it. Sark is bringing Texas into modern college football. Release the bag men! 

Not for nothing, but:

image.thumb.jpeg.b4b895f4a23cf512c5a7dc1c8fb66ceb.jpeg

I guess it’s debatable whether we pulled that off. Reason to believe if we land Worthy it will go a little better.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

RT by Worthy

Reading btw the lines, sounds like UM is holding the line on admittance. Perhaps moving/adhering to NDU or Stanford level.  Harbaugh agrees to stay with that edict, but works a longtime extension as a trade. As in, if you want me to win big while having to deal with admission issues then fupm.

Edited by jdhorn92

20 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Reading btw the lines, sounds like UM is holding the line on admittance. Perhaps moving/adhering to NDU or Stanford level.  Harbaugh agrees to stay with that edict, but works a longtime extension as a trade. As in, if you want me to win big while having to deal with admission issues then fupm.

But why fuck over the kid in that case by still having him sign?

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Nope

He took extra classes so that he could graduate early, and Michigan wouldn’t accept one of them (I’m guessing it was a dubious online class), so he then didn’t have enough credits to enroll 

Michigan still uses the same clearinghouse hurdles that everyone but Stanford and I think Rice use 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

What? Agrees to stay? He Shaka'd his way into not being shitcanned last year. His extension was complete bullshit. This was about as far from a FUPM situation as can be. He took a 50% paycut to not only his future salary, but his current one. He also lowered his buyout not only immediately, but every year thereafter. He went from being the 4th highest paid coach in the country to the 8th highest paid in the Big 10. Michigan could fire him tomorrow and would have saved millions in the process.

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I still wonder why Worthy signed with Michigan during the early signing period if they weren't going to let him enroll in January.

It would have been nice for him to be here for spring practice.

Signing on NSD is a rite of passage for almost all of these kids, something they dream of growing up. It actually makes sense for the elite kids to keep their leverage and options open by not signing, but you only really see that in basketball 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

That 'long-term' extension isn't worth the paper its written on.  It actually lowered Harbaughs buyout and cut his salary in half.  The only reason for it was so that publicly Harbaugh wouldn't be a lame-duck coach on the last year of his contract. 

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This is so fucking stupid. Guess what, dipshits, it’s not tampering if a kid tells his family members he’s unhappy and thinking of leaving, and then a family member asks around and gauges interest. It’s also amazingly how someone on the network could hear about it before the actual school. Are they acting like third party communication and surrogates haven’t existed in college sports since, oh I dunno, the advent of college sports? What a bunch of butthurt little vaginal bitches. When your bitterness precludes you from exercising basic common sense take a step back, nimrods. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I realize we think the most insufferable fans are in College Station but as someone who spends a lot of time in the Chicago area I can honestly say Michigan fans are on another level. They are the most entitled mother fuckers of any sports team I have ever seen.  

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I realize we think the most insufferable fans are in College Station but as someone who spends a lot of time in the Chicago area I can honestly say Michigan fans are on another level. They are the most entitled mother fuckers of any sports team I have ever seen.  

I have to assume you mean in college football - because anyone who has spent anytime in Chicago knows that Cubs fans are the most entitled and insufferable fans in this or any other world.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The ones in New York are just the fucking worst, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the ones who stay in Michigan are more sufferable, but who wants to spend time in Michigan?