Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Super K on Worthy

Spoiler

***Really like the Xavier Worthy addition. I wish I would’ve had a chance to evaluate him in person. We had been hearing for a while that the wide receiver room was a concern so this was a welcome addition. Worthy has elite speed and seems to be a natural pass catcher. He also Scooby doo’d a couple of defenders on film.

I have been told that Worthy is very light right now. To the tune of like 155 lbs. Texas could really use an instant impact freshman. So his summer off-season work will be big.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Worthy

Hide contents

***Really like the Xavier Worthy addition. I wish I would’ve had a chance to evaluate him in person. We had been hearing for a while that the wide receiver room was a concern so this was a welcome addition. Worthy has elite speed and seems to be a natural pass catcher. He also Scooby doo’d a couple of defenders on film.

I have been told that Worthy is very light right now. To the tune of like 155 lbs. Texas could really use an instant impact freshman. So his summer off-season work will be big.

People need to stop valuing wr weight. Devonta Smith and DeSean Jackson both played college ball in the 160s. Look at the guys expected to go in the first two rounds of the draft this year.

Most of them are under 180. The thing that matters is whether they can beat press coverage, and there’s a lot of different ways to do that. Smith is elite at that because it’s more about hand usage and footwork than weight/strength. Hell, a lot of our bigger receivers struggled with press coverage the last few years.  

• Hook 'Em 9

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Worthy

Hide contents

As former NBA player and convicted felon Jason WIlliams once said about Kerry Kittles - 'We save money on airfare by faxing him to the games'.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

People need to stop valuing wr weight. Devonta Smith and DeSean Jackson both played college ball in the 160s. Look at the guys expected to go in the first two rounds of the draft this year.

Most of them are under 180. The thing that matters is whether they can beat press coverage, and there’s a lot of different ways to do that. Smith is elite at that because it’s more about hand usage and footwork than weight/strength. Hell, a lot of our bigger receivers struggled with press coverage the last few years.  

Smith is the only top rated WR under 180.  Smith is also a unicorn.

Tutu Atwell weighed in at 165, but he's 5'5" and I don't think anyone expects him to go top 2 rounds.

I agree that Worthy doesn't need to be 200 pounds to be effective - but I also think that its going to be much harder for him to make any impact as a freshman if he comes into summer camp at 155 pounds.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Smith is the only top rated WR under 180.  Smith is also a unicorn.

Tutu Atwell weighed in at 165, but he's 5'5" and I don't think anyone expects him to go top 2 rounds.

I agree that Worthy doesn't need to be 200 pounds to be effective - but I also think that its going to be much harder for him to make any impact as a freshman if he comes into summer camp at 155 pounds.

He will enroll in June, right? so he can get a couple of months with the S&C program. Could bulk to 160-165 or so range most likely. If they're saying he's 155 I'd wager he's more 150ish.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Malcolm Epps played at 6'6 230, he didn't do alright.

If there is one play I will always remember Epps by, it's the play where he was getting his shit pushed in by a 5'8 DB half his size that played for some G5 school.  Really don't understand why he was getting starter reps with Mehringer a few years ago.  I fully believe the rumors that playing time was being determined by playing favorites and not players that were deserving of the playing time.  

Edited by victory88

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If there is one play I will always remember Epps by, it's the play where he was getting his shit pushed in by a 5'8 DB half his size that played for some G5 school.  Really don't understand why he was getting starter reps with Mehringer a few years ago.  I fully believe the rumors that playing time was being determined by playing favorites and not players that were deserving of the playing time.  

Amik Robertson on LaTech. Fourth round draft pick and current Raider. 

Epps blows, and completely botched that play, but that DB ended up being really good.

• Hook 'Em 6

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Amik Robertson on LaTech. Fourth round draft pick and current Raider. 

Epps blows, and completely botched that play, but that DB ended up being really good.

Yup!  I knew he was a good corner.  But at the same time, I expected our 6'5 230 lb, former bama commit, to be able to put up somewhat of a fight against a guy half his size.  

Roach

Spoiler

— Jordon Thomas is ready to get to Austin.  When I saw him today at his school he said the spring game was exciting because he could feel how close he was to enrolling.  Though he only has a few months left to be a regular student, Thomas said he's focused on the business of developing and getting drafted.  Thomas is currently fasting during Ramadan so his weight is fluctuating a bit.  He's been able to speak with Pete Kwiatkowski and Steve Sarkisian a few times and is working on finishing high school strong before enrolling.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Epps accepted his performance and the writing was on the wall. I've seen worse at the position. Wish him well and he now holds one hell of a degree. 

My guess is that he didn't waste many hours in Burdine picking up a Government degree then . . .

. . . like I did. 😒

On 4/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, Burt Macklin said:

Great, great post. These WR’s bulk up, lose their speed, and become jag’s. (Note I’m talking about adding weight needlessly, not creating muscle mass.)

Edited by Dbeasy

• 2 weeks later...

Wells on Ibraheem

Spoiler

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball (2021 Texas signee):

Don’t forget; Texas has a really nice corner headed to Austin soon.

At 6-foot-1, 175, the four-star defensive back inked with Texas during the second NSD in February. After 34 offers including Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Michigan.

For a cornerback room that already boasts some decent veterans and rising newcomers, Ibraheem could have as much upside as them all.

The dual-sport athlete also runs track and field; 200 meters (23.74 PR), long jump (21-4 PR).

“I’m real good,” said Ibraheem, eager to start college. "I’m more than ready to get started.”

He finished the last two seasons at Kimball with 59 tackles, 11 pass break-ups, two fumble recoveries, and one INT.

With his skills on the island, Ibraheem will be a fantastic fit in coach Kwiatkowski’s scheme.

• Hook 'Em 4