Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He seems like he's gone.

Spoiler

Ryan Day landed a commitment from 5-star Ohio State wide receiver signee Garrett Wilson from Austin (Texas) Lake Travis. It was a huge blow to Texas head coach and former Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman.

Day and Buckeye wide receivers coach Brian Hartline look to be on the same path with Missouri City (Texas) Willowridge 2021 wide receiver Latrell Neville who landed early scholarship offers from both the Buckeyes and Longhorns.

In fact, in addition to Ohio State the 6-foot-3 and 180-pound Neville has offers from close to 20 others including Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston, Florida, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona and Virginia Tech.

“It’s safe to say that Ohio State is my No. 1 and is the only school I’m high on,” Neville said. “I absolutely feel like it’s the perfect fit for me.”

Things could heat up quickly in Neville’s recruitment.

“Me and coach Hartline talk everyday,” Neville said. “Coach Hartline is an amazing coach who knows how to develop and put guys in the league. He played at Ohio State and he played in The League so I know he knows what he’s doing.”

Neville said Hartline and Ryan Day are supposed to stop at his school this month.

“Yes sir, either the first or second week after the dead period,” Neville said.

After that Neville plans to visit the Buckeyes and it might not be long until he makes his decision.

“I’ll be visiting Ohio State in March,” Neville said. Don’t be surprised if I commit after.”

1 minute ago, The_Orange_Dane said:

He seems like he's gone.

Hide contents

Ryan Day landed a commitment from 5-star Ohio State wide receiver signee Garrett Wilson from Austin (Texas) Lake Travis. It was a huge blow to Texas head coach and former Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman.

Day and Buckeye wide receivers coach Brian Hartline look to be on the same path with Missouri City (Texas) Willowridge 2021 wide receiver Latrell Neville who landed early scholarship offers from both the Buckeyes and Longhorns.

In fact, in addition to Ohio State the 6-foot-3 and 180-pound Neville has offers from close to 20 others including Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston, Florida, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona and Virginia Tech.

“It’s safe to say that Ohio State is my No. 1 and is the only school I’m high on,” Neville said. “I absolutely feel like it’s the perfect fit for me.”

“Me and coach Hartline talk everyday,” Neville said. “Coach Hartline is an amazing coach who knows how to develop and put guys in the league. He played at Ohio State and he played in The League so I know he knows what he’s doing.”

Neville said Hartline and Ryan Day are supposed to stop at his school this month.

After that Neville plans to visit the Buckeyes and it might not be long until he makes his decision.

“I’ll be visiting Ohio State in March,” Neville said. Don’t be surprised if I commit after.”

He's a '21. Don't worry about it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The_Orange_Dane said:

I know when that Hartline bling.  That can only mean one thing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, The_Orange_Dane said:

He seems like he's gone.

Hide contents

Fuck brian hartline. I always ended up with him as my wr3 in fantasy football and the dick never did shit. 

Why am i not surprised hes at tOSU. 

On 1/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Break the Katy Taylor curse Coach Hand.

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor (2021) — "I just sent Coach (Herb) Hand a text! Amazing win and will definitely open some eyes on what Texas is building. Happy for Elijah (Rodriguez) and the o-line and everything they accomplished this year." 

OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor (2021) — "They dominated upfront. Period. Bevo set the tone." 

What's the deal with more and more really good players in the Katy area not going to Katy HS? Did they scale back the recruiting or has the shine finally worn off? 

Mike Roach: Observations from Next Level Athlete Dallas combine

—Tommy Brockermeyer is for real. As a 2021, he still has some growth needed in his frame, but the Longhorn legacy showed off superb feet and technique as he dominated OL/DL drills during the Next Level Athlete combine. Brockermeyer will need to add the additional weight and gain upper body strength., but it’s easy to see why colleges are so excited about his potential as a future left tackle.

—Brockermeyer’s brother James Brockermeyer is also a 2021 prospect, and he more than held his own during the competition portion of camp. James is undersized at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, but if he added weight he could be a guy to look at as an interior prospect.

—Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle will likely be an elite prospect by the time he reaches his senior season. After emerging this year, Earle had a strong effort in Aledo’s state championship win, and he continued at today’s camp. Earle has elite quickness and burst off of the line of scrimmage, and he understands how to use his route running to set defensive backs up before exploding to create separation. Earle has some Tavon Austin in him, and schools are starting to catch onto that.

—Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is a guy to keep an eye on. He’s very long and explosive, and that showed during his junior season. Johnston was strong in the drill portion of today’s camp, but he did have some difficulties in one-on-ones. Johnston is very raw on the route-running side, and defensive backs were able to use that against him. Still, those skills are teachable, and Johnston should be able to develop into a plus receiver with some work.

—2021 Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis probably induced the most reaction on the day. Texas evaluated him earlier in the season, and the SMU commit won’t be a secret for long. Davis has a physical build with explosive upside and sticky hands. He made the difficult catches look very easy, and he imposed his physical will on any defensive back who lined up against him. His development will be interesting to watch because he has the potential to be one of the elite 2021 prospects in Texas.

—South Grand Prairie is home to 2021 wide receiver Deamikkio Nathan. Nathan visited Texas last year, and he’s seeing attention from a few schools. Nathan is another physical specimen at the receiver position, and he was a stand out among pass catchers at the event. Nathan showed good feet and route running ability to go with his sticky hands and physical play.

—2021 Dallas Kimball DB Ishmael Ibraheem caught the eye of just about everyone in attendance. Ibraheem is long and tall, with fluid movement ability. Although he is raw technically, Ibraheem is the type of prototypical corner that Texas looks for.

—The Colony’s Keith Miller recently decommitted from Texas Tech, and he’s starting to see more attention. Miller had some contact with Texas during the evaluation period, and he fits what they look for as a big receiver. Miller’s speed doesn’t stand out as elite, but his basketball ability translates to the gridiron with his body control, vertical ability, and physical nature.

It'll be interesting to see how the 2021 OL class is approached. To my eyes, we're looking at four potential 5* OL, one potential 5* interior guy, and several other names already worth monitoring. That's before late bloomers, who frequently end up being better than the more highly rated options although the 2021 kids are so good that I'm not sure if that'll be the case this time around, and out of state options. It'll be interesting to see if the other Brockermeyer ends up being a P5 scholarship center, because I could see other teams trying to create a package deal scenario, and trying to force us to use a scholarship on him. Maybe he ends up being scholarship worthy in his own right. 

How do you convince three stud tackles to join the same class? Will someone like Jackson be open to being a "swing" guy? Or do you just take two of them, and focus your resources on landing guys who know they're interior OL?

Brockermeyer supposedly measured in at 6'6 280 lbs.

I think Foster and Jackson are interior guys and Conner could be a T/G.

Fatherlee is a Tackle all the way as is Brockermeyer.

This class and 2020 are loaded and deep at OL/DL.  We need to land majority of these guys.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

I think Jackson could end up like Kenyon Green where he's a guard in the NFL, but a tackle for like 120 college teams, and he'll get recruited like a tackle. If we land Conner or Fatheree to go with Brockermeyer, he could be an interior guy for us, but that will likely be difficult to pull off

Conner should be a tackle, but if we can get him in as a OT/OG, that could potentially help us with Fatheree or Jackson 

IT

HAYDEN CONNER - 2021

Last year at this time I remember laughing about 2021 o-line studs Hayden Conner and Donovan Jackson because they were giant kids. A year later and now without some non-functional weight and they look like giant young men. 

These are two members of the sensational 2021 Houston area (really state-wide) offensive line class. It's hard to believe they're sophomores. I updated Jackson's recruitment recently, and also Conner's 2021 line-mate, Bryce Foster, but it's been a while since I caught up with Conner.

The latest on recruiting:
"Honestly, I'm just staying with what I'm doing. Going to camps and just making sure that these college coaches know that I'm still here, I still got it."

Spring visits:
"Thinking about going to see Stanford and, maybe, the Air Force."

IT: You just want to go to Colorado.
HC: No, I want to be an aerospace engineer.
IT: Oh yeah, that's right! I remember on one of your Texas visits they brought in a professor for you to talk to.
HC: Yeah, I went to UT and I got a tour of the aerospace facility and I got to meet one of the professors too.
IT: So, Stanford, huh? Our readers have a Stanford-phobia.
HC: [laughing]

The Texas win over Georgia:
"That was huge. I watched that game from start to finish. I was extremely impressed with the way UT just dominated them. I mean, it was impressive."

[Y'all are probably tired of hearing about that Georgia game by now]

Relationship with Herb Hand:
"I'll give him a call every once in a while, every week, we'll talk it up and then I'll come up and visit and, he's just a cool coach. I really enjoy talking to him."

Who else does he have a good relationship with:
"Coach Austin and Coach Frost up at Nebraska I have a good relationship with. And then Coach Warriner and Coach Harbaugh [Michigan] I'm getting started with."

Conner looks great at a pretty lean 6-foot-5.5, 303 pounds. As I was leaving I saw his father talking to Dematrius Davis' father. I mentioned how great Conner looked and he told me, "we were visiting Nebraska and they measured his body composition. He wasn't happy with the results and told me he was going to get leaner after the season. He's already down 20 pounds."

3 hours ago, Fud said:

I think Jackson could end up like Kenyon Green where he's a guard in the NFL, but a tackle for like 120 college teams, and he'll get recruited like a tackle. If we land Conner or Fatheree to go with Brockermeyer, he could be an interior guy for us, but that will likely be difficult to pull off

Conner should be a tackle, but if we can get him in as a OT/OG, that could potentially help us with Fatheree or Jackson 

A 2021 OL class of Brockermeyer, Fatheree, Conner and Foster would be incredible. 

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I have no idea why this dude follows me on Twitter and likes my posts. I had never heard of him before here. They're all Texas related, so I guess that's a good thing. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Are we in on anyone named Landyn Watson, because he follows me, too and likes my posts?

I'm shocked that high schoolers enjoy your thoughts more than grownups 

• Like 5

EJ recruiting notes

Spoiler

—Tommy Brockermeyer is for real. As a 2021, he still has some growth needed in his frame, but the Longhorn legacy showed off superb feet and technique as he dominated OL/DL drills during the Next Level Athlete combine. Brockermeyer will need to add the additional weight and gain upper body strength., but it’s easy to see why colleges are so excited about his potential as a future left tackle.

—Brockermeyer’s brother James Brockermeyer is also a 2021 prospect, and he more than held his own during the competition portion of camp. James is undersized at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, but if he added weight he could be a guy to look at as an interior prospect.

—Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle will likely be an elite prospect by the time he reaches his senior season. After emerging this year, Earle had a strong effort in Aledo’s state championship win, and he continued at today’s camp. Earle has elite quickness and burst off of the line of scrimmage, and he understands how to use his route running to set defensive backs up before exploding to create separation. Earle has some Tavon Austin in him, and schools are starting to catch onto that.

—2021 Skyline wide receiver Quaydarius Davis probably induced the most reaction on the day. Texas evaluated him earlier in the season, and the SMU commit won’t be a secret for long. Davis has a physical build with explosive upside and sticky hands. He made the difficult catches look very easy, and he imposed his physical will on any defensive back who lined up against him. His development will be interesting to watch because he has the potential to be one of the elite 2021 prospects in Texas.

—South Grand Prairie is home to 2021 wide receiver Deamikkio Nathan. Nathan visited Texas last year, and he’s seeing attention from a few schools. Nathan is another physical specimen at the receiver position, and he was a stand out among pass catchers at the event. Nathan showed good feet and route running ability to go with his sticky hands and physical play.

—2021 Dallas Kimball DB Ishmael Ibraheem caught the eye of just about everyone in attendance. Ibraheem is long and tall, with fluid movement ability. Although he is raw technically, Ibraheem is the type of prototypical corner that Texas looks for.