Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Perroni
Big Board: An early look at the class of 2021 in Texas ::  spoilered for WALLOFTEXTNESS 

QUARTERBACK

Preston Stone, Dallas Parish Episcopal (6-2/185): Stone already holds over 50 offers and has put up huge numbers the past two seasons.

Eli Stowers, Denton Guyer (6-3/190): You won’t find a more athletic quarterback in the state and Stowers has a very strong arm.

Dematrius Davis, North Shore (5-11/200): The dual-threat prospect showed in the state title game how much he has improved as a passer. He threw 43 touchdown passes with only 2 interceptions.

Behren Morton, Eastland (6-3/180): Morton is a very accurate passer than can run if needed and that has drawn recruiters to the small town of Eastland.

Shedeur Sanders, Cedar Hill Trinity Christian (6-1/180): The son of Deion, the younger Sanders already has two state titles under his belt and is a polished passer.

Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins (6-1/175): The dual-threat passer helped lead Tompkins to its first-ever playoff berth and was incredibly dynamic in doing so.

Sawyer Robertson, Lubbock Coronado (6-3/185): He doesn’t get a ton of attention out in Lubbock, but Robertson put up some huge numbers this year and has very good size.

Daniel Greek, Argyle Liberty Christian (6-4/228): Greek is a huge kid in the pocket and hard to bring down. He also has a very strong arm.

Nate Yarnell, Lake Travis (6-5/180)
Garrett Nussmeier, Flower Mound Marcus (6-0/165)
Lucas Coley, Converse Judson (6-2/187)
General Booty, San Antonio Cornerstone (6-2/180)
Charles Wright, Austin High (6-1/185)
Bronson McClelland, Katy (5-11/190)
Taylen Green, Allen (6-2/170)
Hampton Fay, Aledo (6-5/200)
Tyler Webb, Bosqueville (6-3/190)
Finn Nicholson, Cypress Bridgeland (6-0/170)
Wyatt Begeal, Cibolo Steele (6-0/180)
Darion Peace, Malkoff (6-0/170)

RUNNING BACK

Camar Wheaton, Garland Lakeview Centennial (6-1/190): Wheaton burst onto the scene with a 400-yard game in the playoffs as a freshman and he has an incredible blend of size and speed.

De'Anthony Lewis, Converse Judson (5-10/185): Judson was loaded with DI prospects this year but it was too hard to keep the ball out of Lewis’ hands.

LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair (5-10/195): Cy-Fair lost a lot of talent from its state title team but Johnson was able to step up as a power back for the Bobcats.

Montaye Dawson, Mansfield Timberview (5-7/165): Dawson is a great receiver out of the backfield and is tough to bring down.

Casey Shorter, Katy Taylor (5-10/190)
Aaron Dumas, El Paso Americas (5-9/185)
Jordan Jenkins, Lindale (6-1/195)
Nathan Sims, Athens (5-11/180)
Brandon Fielding, Eastland (5-10/220)
Roderick Brown, College Station (5-10/190)
Chris Hicks, Cedar Hill (5-9/160)
Cam Davis, South Oak Cliff (5-8/170)
Marvin Lewis, Hempstead (5-9/200)
Eligia Carter, Gladewater (5-11/175)

WIDE RECEIVER

Bryson Green, Allen (6-1/175): The younger brother of former Allen QB Seth Green, Bryson is a good route-runner and should be the go-to wideout for the Eagles next year.

Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Willowridge (6-2/190): Neville is a big receiver with surprising speed. He can move the chains or hit a home run.

Cody Jackson, Richmond Foster (6-1/165): Once thought to be a quarterback prospect, Jackson can play outside or in the slot. He is a big-time playmaker.

JoJo Earle, Aledo (5-8/165): Earle is incredibly tough to tackle when he gets the ball in open space. He has very good speed.

Blaine Green, Allen (6-1/175): The twin brother of Bryson, Blaine is also a standout receiver and will give Allen one of the state’s best duos next year.

Ketron Jackson, Lancaster (6-2/170): Lancaster is loaded at the skill positions and Jackson should see his stock soar going forward.

Deamikkio Nathan, South Grand Prairie (6-0/170)
Majik Rector, Lancaster (5-9/155)
Brandon Buckhaulter, Cedar Hill Trinity Christian (6-2/180)
Dylan Goffney, Cypress Bridgeland (6-0/185)
Charles King, North Shore (6-0/182)
Joseph Manjack, Alief Hastings (6-3/180)
Jaedon Wilson, Dallas Bishop Lynch (6-1/160)
Carlton Guidry, Alvin Shadow Creek (5-10/165)
Jerand Bradley, Plano John Paul II (6-5/190)
Jaddai Henry, Hebron (6-4/192)
Chris Washington, Livingston (6-3/165)
Cam Nelson, Dallas Kimball (6-0/181)
John Paul Richardson, Fort Bend Ridge Point (5-11/165)
Landen King, Atascocita (6-3/190)
CJ Baskerville, Katy (6-2/170)

TIGHT END

Devon Martin, Mesquite Poteet (6-5/240): With many high school tight ends being bigger receivers, Martin is already a well-round player at the position.

Colby Powers, Klein Collins (6-4/235): Collins has a run-heavy offense, so Powers can block. But, when his number is called, he is also a very good receiver.

Jake Norman, Katy (6-5/215): Norman did not see a ton of catches at the state powerhouse as a sophomore, but he is a player to watch going forward.

Colton Price, North Shore (6-7/205): Price was brought up to varsity late in the season as North Shore had FBS prospects all over the field. The Mustang staff is very high on him, though.

Kameron Allen, Mesquite Poteet (6-5/205)
Var'Keyes Gumms, Spring Dekaney (6-3/230)
Dayeton Sweeting, Montgomery Lake Creek (6-2/230)

OFFENSIVE LINE

Reuben Fatheree, Richmond Foster (6-7/300): Also a standout basketball player, Fatheree has the ideal build of a left tackle and could push for honors as the top player in the state for the class.

Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor (6-4/295): Foster played guard this year as Taylor had two DI tackles but will move to tackle next year. He and the first five or six guys on this list all could almost be interchanged in these rankings as it is such a great year at OL and they are the elite prospects.

Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor (6-5/300): Conner played tackle with Foster at guard. A former tight end in 7-on-7, he has the athleticism to be an elite left tackle.

Donovan Jackson, Houston Episcopal (6-3.5/305): Jackson may not have the prototypical height for a tackle, but he has the length to play it. There’s a reason why he has offers from the who’s who of schools across the country.

Tommy Brockermeyer, Fort Worth All Saints (6-6/266): The son of former Texas and NFL OT Blake, Tommy used to be a defensive end and brings that athleticism to the tackle spot. He has the feet of a left tackle as well.

Erick Cade, Denton Braswell (6-7/300): A huge lineman already, Cade had all kinds of schools coming to a new Braswell school this past spring.

Luis Chavarria, Houston Episcopal (6-4/285): Episcopal has three big-time offensive linemen in the class and ‘LuLu’ has a chance to be a nationally-recruited player.

Cullen Montgomery, Houston Episcopal (6-5/290): Montgomery plays tackle opposite Jackson at Episcopal and his size and footwork have him holding offers already.

Cayman Duncan, Houston Kinkaid (6-6/305): Though he has yet to pick up his first offer, Duncan is a player that is on the radar of a ton of schools already. His father Daryl played basketball at Texas A&M.

Remington Strickland, Fort Bend Christian (6-4/295)
Augustus Rice, Waller (6-5/300)
Jacoby Jackson, Mansfield Summit (6-5/300)
Jack Tucker, Argyle (6-6/250)
Billy Thursland, Houston Heights (6-2/275)
Caleb Rodkey, Fort Bend Ridge Point (6-4/320)
Tim Marwitz, Temple Central Texas Christian (6-4/260)

DEFENSIVE END

Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins (6-3/255): Adeleye’s freshman film was ridiculous but it was not varsity competition. Turns out, he was just as good at the highest level. He has a chance to be the state’s top player.

Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-4/225): Jackson burst onto the scene as a dominant pass rusher as a freshman. He is coming off an ACL tear but should be fine going forward.

Landyn Watson, Hutto (6-3/230): Also potentially a linebacker prospect, Jackson has incredible get-off on the edge. There’s a reason he has so many offers.

Ja'tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan (6-4/215): Sanders is a bit under the radar at the moment, but it won’t be that way for long. He could also be a top tight end recruit if he chooses to play offense.

Shemar Turner, DeSoto (6-3/241): Turner is already a big defensive end and could potentially end up as a 5-tech, but he is athletic for his size.

Albert Regis, La Porte (6-3/240)
Tristin Drones-Mouton (6-1/251)
Dametrious Crownover, Grandview (6-6/210)
Miquel Massey, Fort Worth Paschal (6-4/205)
Vince Sheffield, A&M Consolidated (6-1/220)
Marcus Burris, Texarkana Pleasant Grove (6-4/210)
Jaymond Jackson, Lindale (6-2/205)

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Elijah Bowser, Cedar Hill Trinity Christian (6-5/295): Bowser plays both ways but has very high upside on the defensive line. He looked like an upperclassman at a camp when he was only in 8th grade and could become a national name.

Rod Brown, Dallas Kimball (6-1/265): Brown is a very quick player on the interior. He gives opposing guards fits in getting to the passer.

Ikechukwu Iwunnah, Garland Lakeview Centennial (6-2/250)

LINEBACKER

Kendrick Blackshire, Mesquite Horn (6-2/245): Blackshire is ranked as the nation’s top inside linebacker. He does a great job of filling gaps and coming downhill.

Jai Jones, South Oak Cliff (6-1/215): Jones is very quick off the edge and can drop into coverage well. He saw a ton of offers this past spring for a reason.

Kenny Seymour, Clear Falls (6-2/225): Seymour should see a lot of attention because he is a good player but also because he plays inside and there are not many true middle linebacker prospects out there in the state.

Frank Osagiede, Fort Bend Ridge Point (6-1/205)
Jalen Jones, South Oak Cliff (5-10/195)
Jeremiah Bodwin, Dallas Bishop Dunne (6-3/185)
Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney (6-1/205)
KC Ossai, Conroe Oak Ridge (6-0/185)
Roddrell Freeman, Mart (6-0/210)
Cooper Sheridan, Grapeland (6-2/185)

CORNERBACK
JD Coffey, Kennedale (6-0/165): An all-state selection, Coffey already has 12 interceptions in his two seasons on varsity.

Latrell McCutchin, Austin LBJ (6-0/165): Also a standout receiver, McCutchin is one of the better pure athletes in the state.

Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball (6-0/165): Still new to football, cornerback comes naturally to Ibraheem. He is very physical for his size and has nice speed.

Hunter Washington, Katy (6-1/170): Washington was a leader on a very good Katy defense this year and is a bigger corner.

Cameron Oliver, Fort Bend Travis (6-1/160): Playing in a tough Class 6A district, Oliver had 7 interceptions as a sophomore this season.

Jalen Emery, Houston Lamar (5-10/165): Lamar has become known for producing DBS and Emery is the next in line.

Jimmy Wyrick, South Oak Cliff (5-10/155): The son of the former Minnesota standout of the same name, Wyrick is a speedy corner.

Deuce Harmon, Denton Guyer (5-10/165)
Mark Wilson, Clear Lake (6-0/170)
Kevin Young, Cedar Hill (5-9/170)
Jaden Fugett, Denton Guyer (6-1/180)
Kiyon King, Cedar Park (5-8/150)
Kavian Gaither, Waco Connally (5-9/170)
Princeton Word, Lancaster (6-1/170)

SAFETY

Brett Lynch, Cedar Hill (5-10/170): Hill may not be the biggest safety but he absolutely loves to hit. The Cedar Hill staff raves about him.

Savonte Sanford-Paige, Harker Heights (6-1/180): Sanford-Paige has the frame to be a big safety prospect but he is surprisingly good in coverage for his size.

Jadarius Thursby, Duncanville (6-0/180): Duncanville simply reloads and Thursby is the next in line at the Class 6A powerhouse.

Javion Mays, Cedar Park (6-0/180)
Colby Huerter, Katy Tompkins (5-11/180)
Cinque Williams, Mansfield Legacy (5-10/170)
Dalton Johnson, Katy (5-10/180)
Dylan Early, Spring Dekaney (5-11/175)

ATHLETE

Shadrach Banks, North Shore (6-0/200): Banks was absolutely dominant as a receiver in the state title game, but some schools also love his potentially at linebacker or safety.

KJ Liggins, Coppell (5-11/180): Liggins is a standout at both wide receiver and cornerback and has incredibly high upside at both places.

Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline (5-11/186): Already committed to SMU as a receiver, Davis will have all kinds of offers when all is said and done. Though he will likely stay at WR, he can also play defense.

Billy Bowman, Denton Ryan (5-9/170): Bowman has a very high upside as a slot WR but he also had 5 interceptions, three of which he returned for touchdowns, as a sophomore.

BJ Lamb, Grapeland (5-11/165): Hailing from a small school, Lamb is a standout receiver, cornerback and return man. Once coaches make it to Grapeland, he will see offers come his way.

Chase Lowery, Plano Prestonwood (5-11/165)
CJ Sanders, New Caney (5-10/160)
Mikeviun Titus, South Oak Cliff (5-10/170)
Vidareous High, Alto (6-0/180)
Brandon Epton Jr., Dallas Kimball (6-0/185)

TFB on Adeleye: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-wednesday-january-16th/

The final [visitor this past weekend] was Tompkins (TX) ’21 defensive end Tunmise Adeleye. Who is going to be one of the top 2021 defensive lineman in the state of Texas. He’a already 6’3 260 as a sophomore and has offers from Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and others along with Texas. Adeleye finished his sophomore season with 58 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, and 8 sacks.

Adeleye told me “The visit was great. I had a good talk with Coach Herman. He was really selling me on UT’s program like any other coach, but he didn’t feel fake to me at all. He talked about the Nigerian players and the Nigerian defensive lineman that have come to Texas and had a lot of success.” Right now Adeleye plans to visit Oklahoma later this month, Texas A&M on the first weekend in February, and he wants to get down to LSU at some point. But I really like where Texas sits in this one so far.

From IT:

LB Kendrick Blackshire (Mesquite Horn): The Mesquite linebacker was offered on the 4th anniversary of Malikmas and will now embark on his first visit to Austin. At 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, the inside linebacker may project to the defensive line. One thing is certain; he's a football player. High motor, functional strength, and physical. Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and OU are among his double-digit offers. He's wide open at this time.

IT

LB Derrick Harris Jr., New Caney: Todd Orlando recently visited the 6-2, 212 pound sophomore with size 15 shoes and Harris and his parents returned the favor. "I really liked it down there. It looks like Texas is starting to become something big and I would definitely like to be a part of it. The coaching staff down there is amazing. Coach Herman and Coach Orlando seem like coaches I would want to play for. The overall visit was great and Texas is a place to be," Harris said. Harris is still a sophomore but Texas has a lot of interest. Could an offer be in store? "They said they will come down in the spring and if not then that I can come to a camp so hopefully by the spring or by the time camp comes." Harris' floor as a prospect is as a high three-star, but if he grows a few more inches, he could be one of the nation's most coveted outside linebackers.

OT Reuben Fatheree II, Richmond Foster: Taking pictures standing next to Sam Ehlinger gave everyone scale as to just how big Fatheree is. 6-8, 300 pounds never looked this good on a high school sophomore. I asked if anything in particular stood out. Said Fatheree, "Yes, Coach Herman talking to us about where the program is and where it's going. Very impressive, I enjoyed it." I know Reuben and his parents a little bit. I expect Texas to be in his final small group of schools.

IT

CULLEN MONTGOMERY

I was going through my 2021 'follow list' on Twitter and lost count of how many offensive linemen I already follow. It's deep with elite talent, and it's deep with good talent. Given the long developmental curve of these players, some really good ones will still emerge that look like bona-fide Texas takes. The staff already has six offers out within the class at the position. For the sake of comparison, the staff presented seven instate offers to the 2019 class, and really only recruited five of those players hard.

Bellaire Episcopal offensive tackle, Cullen Montgomery, is teammates with one of those elite players already holding an offer, but at 6-foot-5, 290 pounds, and with offers from Nebraska and TCU, he won't be in Donovan Jackson's shadow much longer.

He visited Texas on Sunday and had this to say:

Had a great time talking to coach hand, i could definitely see myself going there in 2021. And also I appreciated him taking time out of his Sunday, spending time with my family and showing me around campus. They said i’m a really great football player, and that I will be evaluated soon.. and I will be back really soon for Junior Days.

Trust me when I tell you Hand is as authentic as they come.

Here's Montgomery in action.

FIRST OFF THE BUS

We talk about guys like Reuben Fatheree being ahead of his time as an offensive lineman, but Mesquite Horn linebacker Kendrick Blackshire is ahead of his time for First off the Bus status. There might not be a more ready-made First off the Bus prospect in the state, and he's only a sophomore.

Blackshire will be a high four-star, though positional clarity will be something many question. He'll very likely be a defensive end who swings further inside on passing downs, but we'll let time, weights, and a meal plan figure that out.

University of Texas was awesome. I loved it down there. I loved talking to coach Orlando and coach Samples. It was awesome and what stood out to me was how chill everyone was and a highlight was when me and coach Samples was playing ping pong.

Another non-coach staffer being mentioned as a plus on the recruiting trail. Hmmm, pretty big.

What did the coaches tell him?

They said I would fit right in. Be the captain of the defense.

Be first off the bus, see if anyone still wants to play the game. What have you.

Edited by Machinator

On 5/8/2018 at 9:04 PM, texifornia said:

To give him (extremely minimal) credit, It's fucking weird to offer a QB, cornerstone of your class, this early as a school that is notoriously offer-stingy.

With his offers, dude must be the truth.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:40 PM, Machinator said:

This Stone guy must be something else, because Ohio State just offered him too.

why did he leave highland park to go play TAPPS football?  just curious. 

@Fud saw you talking about the 2021 OL guys over on 2020 and about who would fit where.  I think we can pencil in Brockermeyer and you have Fatheree and Conner as Tackle's.  I'd say Fatheree at this moment may be more of a Texas lean than Conner.  "If" Texas lands Brockermeyer and Fatheree it could get interesting to see if that turns Conner away although I think he could play Guard.

Foster is an interior guy all the way IMO and the one guy on here thinks he's Texas bound.  Jackson?  Who knows.

The guy who visited over the weekend from Episcopal looks like an interior guy as well.

Long ways to go with this class but just throwing out possibilities.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@Fud saw you talking about the 2021 OL guys over on 2020 and about who would fit where.  I think we can pencil in Brockermeyer and you have Fatheree and Conner as Tackle's.  I'd say Fatheree at this moment may be more of a Texas lean than Conner.  "If" Texas lands Brockermeyer and Fatheree it could get interesting to see if that turns Conner away although I think he could play Guard.

Foster is an interior guy all the way IMO and the one guy on here thinks he's Texas bound.  Jackson?  Who knows.

The guy who visited over the weekend from Episcopal looks like an interior guy as well.

Long ways to go with this class but just throwing out possibilities.

I'm not sure if Fatheree is more of a Texas lean than Conner. Probably too early to tell. Obviously, Brockermeyer is likely in, it's just a question of will his brother end up being a Texas take. Too early to tell either way. 

Taller Brockermeyer, Fatheree, Conner, and Jackson all look like tackles, while Foster looks like a swing guy, and shorter Brockermeyer looks like an interior guy. I'm not sure on others like Cade and Montgomery are. Obliviously, if you land three tackle types, one of them probably needs to be on the path towards being a monster guard, but I'm not sure which of these guys fits there yet. 

Some of these guys will keep on the right trajectory, some will plateau, and some will get worse as prospects, and some guys we've never heard of will overtake some of these guys. But early on, it looks like we might potentially have five or six five stars or highest four stars in this class at OL. 

IT

Texas offered 2021 Upland (CA) linebacker Jonathan Flowe and 2020 Buford (GA) athlete T Lee. 

#####

Flowe is the younger brother of 2020 human missile Justin Flowe. Jonathan looks a lot like his brother based on the combined three minutes of Hudl I've watched combined. It doesn't require much to come to the conclusion they're obvious offers who will be dog-fights. 

With USC still spiraling out of control, Texas could position itself as an attractive option similar to last year with De'Gabriel Floyd and Chris Adimora. 

Jonathan says the Flowes will "for sure" visit Texas this summer. With players of their caliber all you can do is hope that an unofficial leads to an official and take it from there.