2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Good news, although these things can change sometimes, but I'm feeling like that's where my head was going, too.

One important update now though:

The front is really been barreling along and looks like it'll arrive in the Austin area shortly after sunset this evening (about 6 hours earlier than forecast a few days ago). So if you're preparing outside, do it sooner rather than later. Temps for free fall and winds will pick up to 30 mph gusts.

Precip isn't really scheduled to fall until late overnight before dawn, and again it looks spotty and light. I'll be back if it changes. Watch your ass on the road tomorrow morning, though. Looks like highs are going to reach the mid to upper 30s tomorrow which is why I think we've been downgraded.

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

That guy in Alaska in the other weather thread apparently shits outside in below-freezing weather.  So yeah, man up.
(BTW, I see where he mentioned he was well-compensated for his skills up there.  Seems like they could pay him enough to build an indoor can if he was?).

During the snowpocalypse I got tired of hauling toilet snow, I just dug a latrine with my trench tool and shat in front of God and country. 

Some landscaper had a very bad day when it thawed.

• Haha 2

Aftermath:
A little warmer than forecast, although temps are not gonna move much today.  Precip should pick up if at all between now and about 3-4 p.m.  Still potential for spotty icing in ATX area, but looks like the systems is even drier than forecast.  Not done yet but almost.  Tomorrow a.m. is gonna be a dick-cracker, probably avg. about 25° around the Austin burbs.  Then more or less cold but no big deal after that.  All in all, not much with this event - up to now.  Shouldn't get worse, tho.

I did get a light dusting here in the Cave, where it always rains (snows, hails, sleets, fire-brimstones, etc.).  Went outside and snapped this pretty pic:

bigsnow.jpg.8cfd63de069dc5160db22657a59ebcc3.jpg

O&W---I think if you read closer, nobody's really that worried about the weather itself.  We're worried about supply chain and power grid bullshit.  I did most of my proactive shit last night, UT basketball looks like it's headed down again, I watch zero NFL---especially the playoffs, no baseball yet, and Covid-19 flareups have wiped out my oldest's weekend activities.  Not much left to do but be that old guy that sips spiked coffee and says, "Yep, looks like she'll turn cold tomorrow..."  

Edited by Lobo

The fact that the weather getting down to 31 degrees with the potential have a light mist, in January, requires this much discussion in a real indictment on what we have become as a society.

I think it’s more PTSD from last February. People start freaking out now when they hear there is a cold front on the way. What is happening this week and potentially next week are normal weather events for our part of the world in January. Nothing unusual about this at all.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

O&W---I think if you read closer, nobody's really that worried about the weather itself.  We're worried about supply chain and power grid bullshit.  I did most of my proactive shit last night, UT basketball looks like it's headed down again, I watch zero NFL---especially the playoffs, no baseball yet, and Covid-19 flareups have wiped out my oldest's weekend activities.  Not much left to do but be that old guy that sips spiked coffee and says, "Yep, looks like she'll turn cold tomorrow..."  

Yup... I just care about having to move my succulents and tender plants in the garage and just the fact that I can't do much outside like I want... ride a bike, hike, enjoy the outdoors... thanks to this garbage.

As for PTSD, you should have seen Houston for the two years after Harvey any time there was a heavy storm.  I know people who would cry when it rained.  It screwed people up.

Edited by texasdago

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You're stealing my retirement plan, you sonofabitch.

Aren't you supposed to be hard at work on a deposition prep or some shit for tomorrow morning?

csb/ One of my very first trips to visit my wife's parents in NW Kansas.  Christmastime and it was just miserably cold.  I grew up in the cold, but this was just depressing bullshit.  No trees, no buildings, just one devastating snow drift after another.  Temps are down well below zero, without the wind chill.  With the wind chill and precip, it's just absolutely fucking shit, probably -30 below real feel.  Barren, bone-chilling bullshit of an existence.  But I'm getting cabin fever so I go outside to shovel the driveway and one of the cousins drives over and we're both all bundled up like the two guys talking in "Fargo"...and he says something like, "Yeah, looks it's gonna turn cold tomorrow."  and he's being serious because apparently this apocalyptic cold wasn't real enough for him but all I can think about is Fargo and I reply, "Yeah, i'm going crazy out there at the lake."  He just looks at me like, "What lake?  There's no lakes within 2 hours of here in any direction."  That was a long fucking winter visit.  As Bert Lancaster once said, "The wind never blows so cold again..."  /csb

1st world problems, this is my first year with a swimming pool so the only thing that I'm a little more concerned about is the exposed pipes and pumps.  They have a freeze protection that starts them at a certain air temp so nothing to do unless power goes out which I don't expect.  Got the Citrus trees in for the last cold front and have not put them back out yet.  They can stay in the garage for a month or more.

I do have a basic (not fully formed) plan to address a week of freezing weather and potential power outages with a space heater tarps and propane but I need to go exchange my propane tanks.  I must be real worried.

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

I think it’s more PTSD from last February. People start freaking out now when they hear there is a cold front on the way. What is happening this week and potentially next week are normal weather events for our part of the world in January. Nothing unusual about this at all.

Yeah, the hysteria around the storm is pretty crazy. It sucked. It shouldn't have happened. Those in charge messed up. But I also think it's a once-in-a-lifetime sort of event. Or at least once every few decades. I'm pushing 40 and never seen anything like that before. Ice? Sure. Snow? Sure. Freezing? Sure. But for five days straight without getting above freezing? Never. 

I figure we're good for at least a decade or two.

Yeah, I think people were calmer during the actual storm than we were after it.  

Still, I've taken the liberty of pre-digging a few holes around my backyard while the ground is still soft in case I have to take a few shits out there in the inevitable event Adler gets my water cut off.  

FYI---when you take a shit inside...you can say, "Taking a Dump", "Dropping a Deuce", or "Pinching a Loaf."

When you defecate outside, not in the woods, but in your own yard...it's called, "Dropping an Adler"  

Edited by Lobo

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, the hysteria around the storm is pretty crazy. It sucked. It shouldn't have happened. Those in charge messed up. But I also think it's a once-in-a-lifetime sort of event. Or at least once every few decades. I'm pushing 40 and never seen anything like that before. Ice? Sure. Snow? Sure. Freezing? Sure. But for five days straight without getting above freezing? Never. 

You arrogant ass.  You've killed *us*.

2 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

You arrogant ass.  You've killed *us*.

Maaaaaan, if we have to deal with weeks on end of below freezing temps AND weeks on end of 100 degrees plus, I'm out of here.

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah....except the thing where you can never tell.

The 1875 Indianola hurricane fucked those people up.  They even talked about relocating the town.

The 1886 Indianola hurricane made that decision for them.

This winter storm was maybe a 1-in-40 chance of happening in a given year.  But sometimes, the 40-sided die rolls a 1 two rolls in a row.  We know it CAN happen.  We know we are NOT ready for it.  Those two pieces of info, on top of PTSD, are powerful.

Most of us are reasonably rational -- I'm not worried about this particular bout of weather.  But I damned well pay attention to the forecast when they start talking about a freeze more than I used to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I agree with you here, except that it was nine days < 32° for most of our area.  Officially it was 8 days, 23 hours, and 23 minutes between NWS freeze advisories (Feb. 11-20).

Wife and I talked about this last night.  The perfect storm (pun intended) of what had to happen to produce that weather event are (to me) almost astronomical.  People forget it started midweek with rain, then froze night and day (not predicted) for 4 days, preventing using the roads to buy supplies and deliver gas, etc.  WIth that freeze ice built up for 4-5 days, taking out power lines, all this even before the big storm.  Then the storm hit overnight Sun 16th and dumped 6"-8" of snow on top of the ice, further stressing infrastructure.  The storm brought in a second, even colder front, and temps across the area never got out of the teens in most places until Wed. afternoon (19th) when the thing was finally over.

If anyone wants to review the events, NWS has a pretty good not-too-long summary of that week here:
https://www.weather.gov/hgx/2021ValentineStorm

• Like 1

(Below in response to Brisket.)

Yes, I'm well aware. I still think it's highly, highly unlikely. 

I worry much, much more about another 2011 year hitting. I'm already getting anxious that it hasn't rained since...?

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The perfect storm (pun intended) of what had to happen to produce that weather event are (to me) almost astronomical.  People forget it started midweek with rain, then froze night and day (not predicted) for 4 days, preventing using the roads to buy supplies and deliver gas, etc.  

I remember heading down south the day after the first freezing rain. My hood had ice everywhere, trees bent over, etc. By the time I hit Far West, there was nothing. 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I remember heading down south the day after the first freezing rain. My hood had ice everywhere, trees bent over, etc. By the time I hit Far West, there was nothing. 

We live in the NW hills area.  I went to pick up a pizza at Mangia off of Braker Sunday late afternoon (we always get a big Mangia pie for Valentine's day).  I drove my 4X4, and stayed off of all elevated roads. I even put two tires on the grass from time to time, because the roads were already icy.  Walking to the Mangia front door, I had to walk carefully because of all the ice.  I got home and told my wife we needed to plan on not leaving the house for a few days, because I had pushed my luck traveling and things were only going to get worse.

Still, I should have thought ahead and parked my truck at the top of the hill on our block, to stage it for an escape.  Once the rest of the precip fell, I couldn't get up the hill for a couple of days, and we were stuck in our house with no power (we could walk places, but not drive).  Learned a lot of lessons last February.

Edited by Brisketexan

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

And it was literally covering the entire state at the same time. Most storms blow over and hit different regions as it moves across the state. That frees up the need for resources in one area as the storm moves on.

That combination of things (5 straight days of below freezing, with precipitation, and occurring over the entire state at once) will never happen again in any of our lifetimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Orange&amp;White said:

And it was literally covering the entire state at the same time. Most storms blow over and hit different regions as it moves across the state. That frees up the need for resources in one area as the storm moves on.

That combination of things (5 straight days of below freezing, with precipitation, and occurring over the entire state at once) will never happen again in any of our lifetimes.

you could shut the fuck up about that prediction any time now, mmmkay?

6 minutes ago, Orange&amp;White said:

(from that weather page)

I would imagine it'll be a long, long, long time until we see something like this again:
WSW_Texas.PNG

I mean, uh... wow.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We live in the NW hills area.  I went to pick up a pizza at Mangia off of Braker Sunday late afternoon (we always get a big Mangia pie for Valentine's day).  I drove my 4X4, and stayed off of all elevated roads. I even put two tires on the grass from time to time, because the roads were already icy.  Walking to the Mangia front door, I had to walk carefully because of all the ice.  I got home and told my wife we needed to plan on not leaving the house for a few days, because I had pushed my luck traveling and things were only going to get worse.

Still, I should have thought ahead and parked my truck at the top of the hill on our block, to stage it for an escape.  Once the rest of the precip fell, I couldn't get up the hill for a couple of days, and we were stuck in our house with no power (we could walk places, but not drive).  Learned a lot of lessons last February.

I remember talking to my brother about what was coming... after Harvey, he thinks I worry about everything but I've chilled considerably since moving to Austin.  Anyway, I told him, dude, you live at the bottom of a long ass hill.  You better go buy some food.  He stocked up on a ton of food and then was stuck at the bottom of the hill for a week.  Positive, people were skiing down the hill. Negative, his sister-in-law tried driving down the hill and put her SUV into a tree.  Good times.  

At our house, it was at least seven days below freezing.  The big snow storm was awesome but the rest of it completely sucked.

12 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

(from that weather page)

I would imagine it'll be a long, long, long time until we see something like this again:
WSW_Texas.PNG

I mean, uh... wow.

Well the first problem with our winter storm warning system in 2021 was that it was monitored by a fucking Apple IIe

Since the roads weren't fit for automobile use, our only recourse was to hit the Oregon Trail.  Unfortunately, I had no groceries with which to trade for Oxen since HEB was closed.  

Edited by Lobo

Man, I don't know how people in Kansas or Minnesota or whatever handle this kind of weather.  I'm having cabin fever.  I normally get outside during the day and take a walk, ride my bike, hike... whatever to break up the monotony but not today.  Definitely hitting the gym at the end of the day to rinse this crap weather off.  If the weather is going to be cold, I better be skiing.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Cotton candy?

Mostly virga so far so far, drying up before it's the ground. 

However, I do see some light Frozen precip coming in, probably won't do much but might get a little slick on bridges out there. Should be out by dinner time.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Mostly virga so far so far, drying up before it's the ground. 

However, I do see some light Frozen precip coming in, probably won't do much but might get a little slick on bridges out there. Should be out by dinner time.

My religion says I'll get 72 virgas when I die, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My religion says I'll get 72 virgas when I die, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

You eat 72 pieces of vergas for breakfast?  

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Well fuck me, I learnt a new word today.  Virga.  I'm going to use it in my next brief.  Should impress the court.

Be sure to include the etymology for the word, which comes from the Latin for "rod" or "streak". Not quite "on the rag" but close.

You should be able to work it into some sexual harassment case or something.

• Hook 'Em 1