2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Looks like we're gonna get a 3rd straight weekend of just about perfect fall weather. Getting a bit spoiled here.

Today's balmier conditions should start tapering off with the arrival of some light rain early tomorrow morning, followed by cooler, drier air in the afternoon. Friday-Sunday looking about as good as you could ask. Most of the eastern half of the state is unlikely to reach above 70 on Saturday. 

7 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Any of you experts want to give a guesstimate for Thanksgiving? Things would be a lot better for most of us--especially me--if it was dry and warm enough that people can comfortably gather outside on the patio (aka escape indoor family drama).

It'll be wonderful weather, which means K-State is gonna steamroll us.

Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Any of you experts want to give a guesstimate for Thanksgiving? Things would be a lot better for most of us--especially me--if it was dry and warm enough that people can comfortably gather outside on the patio (aka escape indoor family drama).

Welp, the official forecast 8 days out has a front rolling in late Wedesday night/early Thursday morning, making for a dreary Thanksgiving. Temps should start out in the high 60's with some rain and drop to the 40's in the evening after the rain passes.

Sorry.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1

Welp, the official forecast 8 days out has a front rolling in late Wedesday night/early Thursday morning, making for a dreary Thanksgiving. Temps should start out in the high 60's with some rain and drop to the 40's in the evening after the rain passes.
Sorry.
I can work with that. Patio's covered so smoking the turkey & watching football on outdoor TVs is good unless it turns into a torrential downpour. And a bonfire would certainly feel like the season.

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I can’t stand when it’s warm on thanksgiving because it gets unbearably hot with the oven and stove going full bore.  

This.  And the years when I'm smoking a turkey outside, it should feel a little chilly...part of the experience.  One year, I was out there in a jacket and gloves with a hot coffee with bourbon splashed while smoking.  Few years back, did it again and came inside sweating my ass off each time because it was 80 degrees.  I prefer the former over the latter.  

BTW---whoever is saying it's gonna be too cold on T-Day...forecast says 68 degrees for Austin.  That's not cold.  Chances for rain could be an issue for those traveling.  Let's be safe, let's be drunk, let's be Thankful, and let's all get our rest for that really exciting season finale Friday morning of "Wildcat Rape"  

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

image.gif.1cbaa765ad2939767da99f621e6f480f.gif

Because I spend most of my day outside cooking and drinking.  My son also likes to be able to get into the water (Lake Buchanan) but can't if it is too cold.  I'll still enjoy the hell out of it, but would prefer the temps be in the mid 70's.

Nice night for the partial eclipse.  Probably not gonna make it up until 3:00am, but hopefully can still catch a glimpse around 5:30a or so.  

I know it's chilly for some of y'all...but if you want...we can snuggle for sunrise.

Was up in Vermont for the Thanksgiving Holiday. Between Thursday night and Saturday 7-8" of powder.

Woke up to a early flakes and a light dusting Friday, you can see the road already had a coating.

image.png

Saturday morning the snow was just starting to lighten up. But that was the extent of it. It stayed in the 20s so it was a light powder, easy to shovel.

image.png

image.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Took dogs for a walk yesterday morning. Drenched in sweat within 10 minutes of setting out. Low 80's and muggy as hell.

I'm up at my office building doing some work today and the AC is off. Usually not a problem in December, but it's really unpleasant in here today. Probably would have gone home if I didn't have a fan in my office. 

Flying out to Midland tomorrow and it's gonna be damn near freezing tomorrow night, but then back up into the mid-70's on Tuesday. Texas weather, man. 

Why you guys complaining about nice weather in December?  Totally normal for nature.  

Top sportsmen tell me that it's great for the flora and fauna to be in this kinda of oppressive heat at Christmastime.  Top sportsmen, Dr. Jones.  

On 12/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, Lobo said:

Why you guys complaining about nice weather in December?  Totally normal for nature.  

Top sportsmen tell me that it's great for the flora and fauna to be in this kinda of oppressive heat at Christmastime.  Top sportsmen, Dr. Jones.  

I mean.  I don’t have to cover my bougainvillea and hibiscus vine.  So that’s a plus. 

• Like 1

90 degrees on Friday.  My heater ran this morning because it was legit chilly outside.  Not cold, but chilly.  I guess give it a break tomorrow and then crank the A/C on Friday while hanging more Christmas lights.  I'm sure we'll miss 90 degree days in February when we're huddling together for warmth because one of us may have wind cancer.  

I'm not saying I want 20 degrees and freezing rain for Christmas.  But maybe can we do a year where the dads don't get swampass putting together the presents the week before in the garage?  

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

90 degrees on Friday.  My heater ran this morning because it was legit chilly outside.  Not cold, but chilly.  I guess give it a break tomorrow and then crank the A/C on Friday while hanging more Christmas lights.  I'm sure we'll miss 90 degree days in February when we're huddling together for warmth because one of us may have wind cancer.  

I'm not saying I want 20 degrees and freezing rain for Christmas.  But maybe can we do a year where the dads don't get swampass putting together the presents the week before in the garage?  

We kind of have to expect it now.  Thanksgiving was great this year for once.  Ill take it.  

I telephoned the printer of the recent most "Farmer's Almanac" for our general area.  He has informed me as such, we should expect a mild Winter.  Rains to follow.

2 minutes ago, hornian said:

Reminds me of the old joke about Indians and firewood:

The Indians on a remote reservation in Oklahoma asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. 

Since he was a chief in modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn’t tell what the winter was going to be like. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared. But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, ‘Is the coming winter going to be cold?’ 

‘It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,’ the meteorologist at the weather service responded.   

So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared. A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. ‘Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?’ 

‘Yes,’ the man at National Weather Service again replied, ‘it’s going to be a very cold winter.’   

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.  Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again. ‘Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?’   

‘Absolutely,’ the man replied. ‘It’s looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we’ve ever seen.’ 

‘How can you be so sure?’ the chief asked.   

The weatherman replied, ‘The Indians are collecting a shitload of firewood.' 

And that Chief's son?  He grew up to be the first Native American Meteorologist on network television

And his name?  

You guessed it? 

'Two Dogs Fucking'  middle name 'To Stay Warm' 

Edited by Lobo