2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

I was one of Correa's big early fans, then a big critic...and now find myself somewhere in between. We obviously need his bat less if we find major firepower elsewhere, but I'd argue we need to do that whether he re-signs with Houston or not. I feel it's pretty risky to keep banking on our 30-somethings to generate most of the offense. Once Brantley and Gurriel (and even Altuve) start to fade, it could be a rapid decline. And all guys in that general age range tend to have more tweaks and then need more time to bounce back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Evan Grant who covers the Rangers for the Dallas Morning News wrote a long piece about the Rangers plans for the offseason and it is very clear from his reporting that the Rangers have Correa on their minds.

welp, open up that check book !

If Correa signs with the Rangers, he’ll suffer a career-ending injury on opening day.  Everything that organization touches turns to shit.

• Like 1

As of about 45 minutes ago, Carlos Correa is not currently employed by the Houston Astros organization for the first time since 6/7/2012.

Damn, that takes me back to my first real post-grad job, where I was the "Astros Guy" at work that paid way too much attention to an awful, awful team and checked minor league box scores on a daily basis. Been a wild trip since then.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

It would be swell if the ‘Stros also had a catcher with a bat.

Korey Lee to this faction of Astros supporters (including me):

Im Floaitng A Way GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Going to need another year of seasoning most likely though. Hope to see him up around the end of next season for a cup of coffee anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

As of about 45 minutes ago, Carlos Correa is not currently employed by the Houston Astros organization for the first time since 6/7/2012.

Damn, that takes me back to my first real post-grad job, where I was the "Astros Guy" at work that paid way too much attention to an awful, awful team and checked minor league box scores on a daily basis. Been a wild trip since then.

You have always been a constant on the Astros thread.. I remember when there were like 6 of us who posted during those 100 loss seasons. We had to endure constant ridicule from Ranger fanboys and our only hope was Altuve learing how to not strike out, and the promise of Correa and Springer being called up. 

I was in Laredo on business when Correa got the call up.. I was stoked, and spent 30 minutes calling restaurants to see if they televised the game. BW3's had it; remember those were the days we had the tv contract issues..  

When Springer was called up, it was my first time watching an illegal feed on my computer. 

It has indeed been a wild ride. I would imagine if someone told us in 2013 we would win a WS and go to 2 others before 2022 we would be pretty damn stoked. 

Good news is, its not over. far from it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Probably not a popular opinion, but I wouldn't spend any money for Correa, or to replace him with a free agent. I'd go with Pena. Our lineup has a lot of good hitters and the only real hole right now is at catcher. I think we could play around another hitter with an average just north of the Mendoza line, if he does indeed hit that low. His career minor league average is almost .300 so he might surprise us. I'd use the money on 2 top tier starters. 

Team shep was at springers first home game( couldn't spell his name right). His first hit went about 15 feet. Seeing him, tuve, correa come up and bring hope of better days reminded me of pence debut. Before that craig, caminiti and biggio. Sun still rose today in Houston on a team that made it to 5 straight ALCS games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, YChang said:

Is it actually fresh? Seems like the Whataburgers I've been to all sucked since I moved back to Tx ~3 years ago. 

it’s a full whataburger kitchen behind home plate. I’m in no way a whataburger fan boy, but those burgers are good and fresh 

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

LmJ 

Framber 

Garcia 

Urquidey

odorizzi 

garcia (I think he’s a better stater)

why goes to bp ?

Odo to the pen/6th guy when someone inevitably goes on the IL.  Sign a top of the line guy, some bullpen guys, another bat (Bryant?) and lets go to ALCS #6

45 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Team shep was at springers first home game( couldn't spell his name right). His first hit went about 15 feet. Seeing him, tuve, correa come up and bring hope of better days reminded me of pence debut. Before that craig, caminiti and biggio. Sun still rose today in Houston on a team that made it to 5 straight ALCS games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was at the game that Berkman got his first hit...which was not until his 5th game.  Off of Bartolo Colon.

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Odo to the pen/6th guy when someone inevitably goes on the IL.  Sign a top of the line guy, some bullpen guys, another bat (Bryant?) and lets go to ALCS #6

Far too often, I reflect on the 2013 MLB draft when we could’ve taken Kris Bryant w/the first pick, but selected Mark Appel instead.  No bueno.

• Hook 'Em 1