2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

They could have done 40 something per year if they wanted to go that route.  You can’t offer fewer years and less money per season and expect someone to take it. A hometown discount isn’t over a 150 million.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

What should the Astros offer?

Maybe go to 6/180 but no further.

5/200 if you want to sign him for the rest of this competitive window. 13 for 330 if you want to sign him for life.  7/250 with 130 for the first 3 with an opt out for him after 3 years might work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

5/200 if you want to sign him for the rest of this competitive window. 13 for 330 if you want to sign him for life.  7/250 with 130 for the first 3 with an opt out for him after 3 years might work. 

I think I’d pass on any of those if I’m the Astros. 5/200 would be the closest, but I don’t think he’s signing that short of a contract.

No idea if the rumors about his back are true, but we do know he has had back problems in his mid-20s, which is concerning.

Why have y’all forsaken moneyball analytics with this 8+ year and/or $35M+/yr stuff? CC was one of our best players and great value up until now. First, he has a history of missing games/injury. Second, probably his most appealing trait is showing up big in the playoffs, yet he batted 0.250 with 1 RBI in the ALCS and 0.261 with 4 RBI in the WS. Is that really worth $40M a year? Or $300M+ over a contract? What are the odds we’ve already seen peak Carlos?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Mark Berman is never wrong because he only reports info that Houston teams give him when they have news they want released.  So either the other fellow is full of shit or the Astros upped their offer.

Yeah. The 6/$210m report is bullshit. Crane confirmed the 5/$160M

Something to keep in mind - Bregman's salary increases to $30.5 million after next season. Altuve will make $29 million.

If we sign Correa to $32 million then that's over $90 million locked up on just three players. LMJ's contract is in the $16-17 million range over that time period. So that's around $110 million taken up by four players who haven't had a great history of staying healthy (other than Altuve but he's starting to show some wear and tear). That's a lot of guaranteed money for not many players and puts us in an Angels-style situation. 

I love Correa and love what he's done for the Astros, but I'd be just fine letting him walk and not having another albatross contract holding us back like we had this year with Greinke and Verlander. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Now on the flip side, look at how many contributors to our postseason run are under team control for a long time. Many will be entering arbitration in the next few years and we're going to need the cap space (pending the next CBA) to be able to pay them. 

Just trying to look at the big picture here...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Something to keep in mind - Bregman's salary increases to $30.5 million after next season. Altuve will make $29 million.

If we sign Correa to $32 million then that's over $90 million locked up on just three players. LMJ's contract is in the $16-17 million range over that time period. So that's around $110 million taken up by four players who haven't had a great history of staying healthy (other than Altuve but he's starting to show some wear and tear). That's a lot of guaranteed money for not many players and puts us in an Angels-style situation. 

I love Correa and love what he's done for the Astros, but I'd be just fine letting him walk and not having another albatross contract holding us back like we had this year with Greinke and Verlander. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/houston-astros-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Now on the flip side, look at how many contributors to our postseason run are under team control for a long time. Many will be entering arbitration in the next few years and we're going to need the cap space (pending the next CBA) to be able to pay them. 

Just trying to look at the big picture here...

Yup, and this is why the Correa offer is what it is. The club is going to have to pay Alvarez and Tucker eventually. Teams value payroll flexibility and obligating $30mm annually for Correa’s age-33 season and beyond limits them. It sucks because he’ll probably be really good for the next 5 years or so, but to get those seasons you have to buy the ones where he’s less likely to be very good. Some team - probably one with less future payroll obligation, like the Tigers - will.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Keep Correa. Keep your potential home grown hall of fame guys. Make up the cash in good PR. 

Not that my vote counts for anything but they should overpay him for a 5 year agreement but not offer a 7 year plus deal. But I don’t fault Correa for wanting and ultimately, accepting the longer term deal with another team.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Keep Correa. Keep your potential home grown hall of fame guys. Make up the cash in good PR. 

You do realize it has nothing to do with money made our lost by the team, right? It's about the luxury tax and the amount you spend for the entire team's payroll. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The good PR would be negated by the losses, as gaps appear elsewhere in the lineup and pitching staff, because three or four declining talents are hogging the budget.

I love Correa. I loved Springer too. But if their demands are significantly more than the Astros business model can bear, we just have to say goodbye, wish them well, and hope for the best from our replacements.

It would be a hell of a lot harder to part with Correa if had a long run of demonstrated durability, but he's been brittle in his younger years. How many guys like that post roids suddenly become 145 game per year guys in their 30s? 

Like I said, this will suck for a couple of years. Seven or eight years down the line, we will be shaking our heads about whoever signed Correa to all that money way back when.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, WBT said:

No chance JV accepts right?  I'm guessing someone will give him 2 years, if not 3.

Probably not but there is a narrative out there that he uses it as a prove it year. I personally think that some bridges have been burnt. 

Edited by TonyTexas