2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

What it the projected return date for Meyers?

I wouldn't expect to see him for a while. I think I remember reading that full recovery from the surgery he had to have is at least 6 months. Surgery was mid-November so that would put him out until at least Memorial Day and then I'd imagine he'll need some extended time getting back up to snuff in Sugar Land. 

McTaggart doesn't expect us to make any notable additions.  

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-questions-ahead-of-2022-season

TL;DR:

Correa won't be back. Pena could possibly make OD roster, but Stros may primarily rely on Diaz at SS and possibly pick up a replacement level veteran on a minimum contract (mentions Goodrum or Adrianza, woof).

Nothing worth mentioning in the OF. Brantley, Tucker, and Chas/Siri it is. Another area where you might pick up just another guy for cheap to fill out the bench until Meyers returns.

Hopefully grab a lefty for the bullpen. 

That's it.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

McTaggart doesn't expect us to make any notable additions.  

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-questions-ahead-of-2022-season

TL;DR:

Correa won't be back. Pena could possibly make OD roster, but Stros may primarily rely on Diaz at SS and possibly pick up a replacement level veteran on a minimum contract (mentions Goodrum or Adrianza, woof).

Nothing worth mentioning in the OF. Brantley, Tucker, and Chas/Siri it is. Another area where you might pick up just another guy for cheap to fill out the bench until Meyers returns.

Hopefully grab a lefty for the bullpen. 

That's it.

That is completely unacceptable and depressing.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

That is completely unacceptable and depressing.

I mean, if you assume Correa is gone, he made about $12M last year. Greinke made $35M, though I know AZ covered some of that. Lost a few bullpen arms to free agency. We've got maybe ~$40M freed up and you're telling me the plan on what to do with it is "I dunno, maybe pick up a couple JAG's off the scrap heap?"

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

What it the projected return date for Meyers?

June seems most realistic.  He’ll miss 40+ games.  I think Houston will acquire a cheap left handed outfielder as a stopgap.  Pederson, Dickerson, Miller, and Rosario stand out as potential matches.  Villar also makes some sense.

I expect Houston to go cheap as I think they are more optimistic about their farm than anyone would guess.  If they make a big impact move it will be via trade.

I tell you, he's going to run out of teams. No one wants to pay him 10 years, there is real fear about his back past 4-5 years. Teams aren't stupid anymore, Boras is still Boras, but I would be shocked if he got anything close to years and total that Lindor and Seager got. He should go for the higher AAV on a 5-6 year deal.

Saw some sick hats at a Lids in San Antonio but didn’t have time to stop. And of course I fucking forgot to go back before I left. They are bright orange with the 90’s style star. Anyone know what hats these are and where I can grab one? Not seeing it anywhere online.  Kinda like this but orange w/ a blue or black star:

281AC5DC-3E07-465D-8E38-2A5540E72AB9.jpeg

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

that's a good sign

I don’t know that it’s anything more than them being friends. I think he will always be friends with those guys but he can’t have been clearer that he wants to get paid what he thinks he’s worth. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t know that it’s anything more than them being friends. I think he will always be friends with those guys but he can’t have been clearer that he wants to get paid what he thinks he’s worth. 

trying to be optimistic and all these teams keep finding SS alternatives or saying they aren't in the queue for Correa

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Saw some sick hats at a Lids in San Antonio but didn’t have time to stop. And of course I fucking forgot to go back before I left. They are bright orange with the 90’s style star. Anyone know what hats these are and where I can grab one? Not seeing it anywhere online.  Kinda like this but orange w/ a blue or black star:

281AC5DC-3E07-465D-8E38-2A5540E72AB9.jpeg

Fuckin blasphemy.

Fuck that open star bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah they're just fuckin with all of us and laughing about it 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/2022/03/11/report-reveals-new-details-of-detroit-tigers-offer-to-carlos-correa-before-signing-javier-baez/?outputType=amp

^^^^More details about the 10 / 275 Correa turned down from Detroit. 3x opt-out clauses + a $10M bonus for every top 5 MVP finish

I know the Lindor deal remains he and Boras’ “floor”, but as mentioned above, I’m not sure where the leverage is gonna come from if both NYY and LAD don’t fully participate.

Put me in the camp of 1 yr / $40M (give or take) for one season in HOU, then Carlos can piss all over Lindor’s money when he wins a WS MVP and re-sets the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Something tells me he ends up signing a 1 year pillow deal and goes back into the market next year when he would likely be the only SS there.

I’ve been telling people he needs to do this. With the lockout lasting so long, just stay with Houston for a year and reassess the market.  It’s getting late into the night, almost closing time at the bar and all the gals are pairing off with other suitors and not receptive to CC’s flirting. He’s going to have to settle 

Edited by Js1