2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

Correa wants 10-$300mm.  We won't give him 10, I can state that as a fact out of Crane's mouth.  I'm intrigued by the story @HtownHorn told last night of the degenerative back issue - that is something I have not heard (but there are obvious concerns about his durability over a 10 year contract). 

I'd guess we offer him 6-180 (maybe a bit more $$ to sweeten the shorter deal), and good luck finding a longer deal. 

@Planet Houston  I was told that last night by someone who had spoken directly to Crane, and when I said Astros organization, it was Crane's own words. Supposedly Correa has gone to 3 or 4 doctors about the issue. As we learned with Aiken, the Astros aren't going to invest in someone they think is damaged goods.

If I get more information about it I will let you guys know. I have 2 other sources outside the organization that I can get info from through my family.

Edited by HtownHorn

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The thing is, if Carlos Correa wants to be an Astro, he'll be an Astro.

If he signs with someone else, he didn't. It's as simple as that. 

And that's OK.

If Correa wants to be an Astro and their offer is equal to or better than the other offers, then he’ll be an Astro. If the other offers are better then he won’t. It’s as simple as that. And that’s ok. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Correa wants 10-$300mm.  We won't give him 10, I can state that as a fact out of Crane's mouth.  I'm intrigued by the story @HtownHorn told last night of the degenerative back issue - that is something I have not heard (but there are obvious concerns about his durability over a 10 year contract). 

I'd guess we offer him 6-180 (maybe a bit more $$ to sweeten the shorter deal), and good luck finding a longer deal. 

part of me says offer 5-200.  then i think what should be obtained for $40mm per year: a perennial all-star type who's in the mvp conversation more often than not. 

i love correa, but he's not that.  he's a great complimentary piece around other stars like him.  he's not a superstar you anchor your lineup around.  if he goes to miami, detroit, minnesota, texas, he won't go .320/38/115 and turn a 75 win team into an 88 win team.  that's just not who he is, even when fully healthy, which is also a gamble even before the latest rumors. 

he's a fantastic fielder with one of the best arms in recent memory, he's been incredibly clutch in the postseason, but i fear he'll never reach his "absolute upside" when it comes to stats and contribution to justify that type of salary.  and when i say "that type" i mean the type that affects the overall roster build.  i'd much rather take that $40mm and sign semien and a sp to shorter deals.  who the f knows what's going on with verlander, but i can't see him staying after all the shit.

we have a lot of money, seems about 35-40% of last year's payroll coming off the books, with only correa really contributing down the stretch.  staff looks good, bullpen looks surprisingly good even without graveman.  go sign a ss, 2sp, 2-3 bullpen pieces, maybe a 4th outfielder.  shit, hopefully meyers can come into his own next year.  i kinda forgot about him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If Correa wants to be an Astro and their offer is equal to or better than the other offers, then he’ll be an Astro. If the other offers are better then he won’t. It’s as simple as that. And that’s ok. 

I would argue that that means making more money is more important than being an Astro. And that is perfectly fine.

We are super lucky to have Luhnow and Click as GMs back-to-back. Click will do what must be done, if that includes letting someone else pay Carlos $180,000 per hit and we go scoop someone like Semien to produce the same for a fraction of the cost, let’s do it. Will miss Correa if that comes to pass, but I get a crazy feeling that my life might continue.

3 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

We are super lucky to have Luhnow and Click as GMs back-to-back. Click will do what must be done, if that includes letting someone else pay Carlos $180,000 per hit and we go scoop someone like Semien to produce the same for a fraction of the cost, let’s do it. Will miss Correa if that comes to pass, but I get a crazy feeling that my life might continue.

If we get Semien to replace Correa I will be extremely gruntled.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If we get Semien to replace Correa I will be extremely gruntled.

this.

also this may end up being the perfect storm in the worst way for correa to be a fa this offseason.  cba negotiations will be a mess, a bunch of great ss are also fa, and a possible long-term injury issue?  not great, bob.

I want correa back but whatever that’s obviously not going to happen. So, if it’s me this is what I’d do:

out: correa, JV, Greinke, Graveman, Brantley, Diaz, Baez, Odo (that’s 109 million) (Brantley and Odo are likely neutral value contracts- you can trade them without eating money for no real return- might have to attach a 45 grade prospect to move Baez)

In- Marcus S (5/150), Starling Marte (3/90), Kris Bryant (8-200), Colin McHugh (2/10), Dylan Betances (1/6) I assume he’s back from Tommy John by spring training? That’s 101 incoming- you got 8 million cheaper)  

lineup:

Marte-8

Altuve-4

Tucker-9

Marcus S- 6

Yordan- Dh

Bryant-7

Bregman-5

yuli-3

Machete/Castro 2

SP: LMJ, Framber, Urquidy, Garcia, Javier  

(Whitley, Brown, Solomon, Bielak, Conine- depth pieces)

bully-  Presley/McHugh/Stanek/Maton/Raley/James/

Taylor/Abreu/paredes whoever from above group of starter depth pieces) 

Bench- Pena, Myers, McCormick, Castro

thats 18 million in starters, 25 million in bullpen, 5 million in bench, 150 starting lineup. 198 million in payroll. Below the luxury tax. 

then next year Yuli leaves and Bryant slides into his place, Maldy and Castro leave and Lee slides into their place etc.

Thats one of the greatest offenses in the history of baseball, a pretty decent defensive team as well, power, speed, average etc. and 2024 when Bregman comes off the books and Altuve gets cheaper you can give extensions to Tucker and Yordan. Buy out 2 years of FA on a 4/100 type deal for last 2 years of Arb and 2 years of FA. Along with paying the pitches some more as they head into arbitration (Marte would be coming off the books to take care of pitcher arb). 
that’s a world series contender for sure through 24, when Altuve, Bregman, Marte would be up

Edited by Wulaw Horn

35 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Semien won’t be a fraction of the cost. He’s getting 30 plus a year just like correa. He will just get that for 5 years and not 10 or 12. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Semien won’t be a fraction of the cost. He’s getting 30 plus a year just like correa. He will just get that for 5 years and not 10 or 12. 

2/3 is a fraction, and the so called experts are projecting 5 years $100M for Marcus. But even that’s a lot for me.

Like I said, in Click I trust, we’ll see. I was just throwing out a name.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The Earl of Texas said:

2/3 is a fraction, and the so called experts are projecting 5 years $100M for Marcus. But even that’s a lot for me.

Like I said, in Click I trust, we’ll see. I was just throwing out a name.

I want Semien too. I have him pegged at 5/150. And he’s probably well worth that. 

We’re going to get Peña at SS, and I’m ok with that. He has a solid defensive reputation and has really picked it up with the bat the last couple of years. I also think Leon will be up sooner than later in CF. Feel like Click will try to figure out what he has and then go shopping at the deadline if one of them isn’t ready. Obviously, this would mean that I think Click’s priorities will be top line starting pitching.

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I want correa back but whatever that’s obviously not going to happen. So, if it’s me this is what I’d do:

out: correa, JV, Greinke, Graveman, Brantley, Diaz, Baez, Odo (that’s 109 million) (Brantley and Odo are likely neutral value contracts- you can trade them without eating money for no real return- might have to attach a 45 grade prospect to move Baez)

In- Marcus S (5/150), Starling Marte (3/90), Kris Bryant (8-200), Colin McHugh (2/10), Dylan Betances (1/6) I assume he’s back from Tommy John by spring training? That’s 101 incoming- you got 8 million cheaper)  

lineup:

Marte-8

Altuve-4

Tucker-9

Marcus S- 6

Yordan- Dh

Bryant-7

Bregman-5

yuli-3

Machete/Castro 2

thats 18 million in starters, 25 million in bullpen, 5 million in bench, 150 starting lineup. 198 million in payroll. Below the luxury tax. 

then next year Yuli leaves and Bryant slides into his place, Maldy and Castro leave and Lee slides into their place etc.

Thats one of the greatest offenses in the history of baseball, a pretty decent defensive team as well, power, speed, average etc. and 2024 when Bregman comes off the books and Altuve gets cheaper you can give extensions to Tucker and Yordan. Buy out 2 years of FA on a 4/100 type deal for last 2 years of Arb and 2 years of FA. Along with paying the pitches some more as they head into arbitration (Marte would be coming off the books to take care of pitcher arb). 
that’s a world series contender for sure through 24, when Altuve, Bregman, Marte would be up

Show me a loss !!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, IDIOTsavant said:

We’re going to get Peña at SS, and I’m ok with that. He has a solid defensive reputation and has really picked it up with the bat the last couple of years. I also think Leon will be up sooner than later in CF. Feel like Click will try to figure out what he has and then go shopping at the deadline if one of them isn’t ready. Obviously, this would mean that I think Click’s priorities will be top line starting pitching.

Who do you like?  Scherzer doesn’t want to come here. I think the JV things has run it’s course. Stroman seems pretty meh to me. Thor is always hurt. I don’t see anyone starting pitching I want to pay lots of money and push one of our guys out of the rotation for. I see a lot of bats I’d love to pay big money for however. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who do you like?  Scherzer doesn’t want to come here. I think the JV things has run it’s course. Stroman seems pretty meh to me. Thor is always hurt. I don’t see anyone starting pitching I want to pay lots of money and push one of our guys out of the rotation for. I see a lot of bats I’d love to pay big money for however. 

throw all the moneys at robbie ray and trade for chris bassitt.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I like Bassitt. Wonder why it would take to get that done. How big an upgrade is Robbie Ray over Urquidy or Garcia?  I bet he is way less of an upgrade over them than Semien is over Pena or the Cuban kid. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I like Bassitt. Wonder why it would take to get that done. How big an upgrade is Robbie Ray over Urquidy or Garcia?  I bet he is way less of an upgrade over them than Semien is over Pena or the Cuban kid. 

apples and oranges.  signing an ace makes 5 positions stronger.

bassitt is only under control by oak for 1 more year, so the price tag shouldn't be crazy.  i hope they don't wait until july, because i feel like somebody else will pounce.  

Edited by henrygandorf

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Holy shot I didn’t realize Ray was so good last year. The scary thing is he only had one other season in his career that I’d describe as really really good and the other ones have been pretty meh. If he’s tuned a corner (at 30 he could have) then yeah- load him up. That’s just not a huge track record to me though. I’d be scared. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

apples and oranges.  signing an ace makes 4 positions stronger.

bassitt is only under control by oak for 1 more year, so the price tag shouldn't be crazy.  i hope they don't wait until july, because i feel like somebody else will pounce.  

Would Whitley for Bassit get it done?  

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s the rub. I don’t particularly like the candidates, but I could see Stroman being a target. It might be a case where he throws a lot of money at several reclamation projects that he thinks were poorly used or injury bounce back candidates like our Morton signing. Essentially it might be a fair bit of money spread over several arms. Velazquez and Bundt have damn good stuff if they could figure things out and stay healthy. Maybe take some of our upper level depth and trade for someone controllable that’s about to get more expensive  and try to squeeze more out of him. I’m not really enamored with our options to be honest, but I don’t know that Click feels the same way.

Fan Dual’s early WS odds for 2022

1. Los Angeles Dodgers (+550)

2. Houston Astros (+700)

3. Chicago White Sox (+1000)

4. Toronto Blue Jays (+1200)

5. New York Yankees (+1200)

6. Atlanta Braves (+1400)

7. San Francisco Giants (+1400)

8. San Diego Padres (+1400)

9. Tampa Bay Rays (+1400)

10. Milwaukee Brewers (+1400)

11. Boston Red Sox (+1800)

12. St. Louis Cardinals (+1800)

13. New York Mets (+2000)

14. Philadelphia Phillies (+2500)

15. Cincinnati Reds (+3000)

16. Los Angeles Angels (+4000)

17. Seattle Mariners (+4000)

18. Oakland Athletics (+5000)

19. Detroit Tigers (+5000)

20. Cleveland Guardians (+7000)

21. Minnesota Twins (+7000)

22. Kansas City Royals (+7000)

23. Colorado Rockies (+7000)

24. Chicago Cubs (+10000)

25. Miami Marlins (+10000)

26. Washington Nationals (+10000)

27. Arizona Diamondbacks (+25000)

28. Texas Rangers (+50000)

29. Pittsburgh Pirates (+50000)

30. Baltimore Orioles (+50000)

I made my big piece in the end of the 21 thread. 

Give me 

Semien - 5/120

Stroman - 4/95

DeSclafani - 4/42 (Sportrac has value at 10 mil)

puts you at 60 used

Resign Graveman (2/4M?)

Use the rest of the money on pen pieces or another outfielder or whatever  

rollout a lineup of 

Semien - 6

Altuve - 4

Brantley - 7

Alvarez - DH

Tucker - 9

Bregman - 5

Gurriel - 3

Siri/Meyers - 8

Maldonado - 2

Diaz, Castro, McCormick, Siri/Meyers

SP - Stroman, LMJ, DeScalfani, Framber, Garcia/Uriquidy 

RP - Maton, Graveman, Stanek, Javier, Raley, Pressley 

11 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

That’s the rub. I don’t particularly like the candidates, but I could see Stroman being a target. It might be a case where he throws a lot of money at several reclamation projects that he thinks were poorly used or injury bounce back candidates like our Morton signing. Essentially it might be a fair bit of money spread over several arms. Velazquez and Bundt have damn good stuff if they could figure things out and stay healthy. Maybe take some of our upper level depth and trade for someone controllable that’s about to get more expensive  and try to squeeze more out of him. I’m not really enamored with our options to be honest, but I don’t know that Click feels the same way.

a ton of reclamation candidates, if you're into that sort of thing:

STARTING PITCHERS

Max Scherzer (37, 7.2 WAR)
Kevin Gausman (31, 6.4)
Carlos Rodón (29, 5.0)
Clayton Kershaw (34, 4.8)
Trevor Bauer (31, 4.3) -- can opt out
Eduardo Rodriguez (29, 3.8)
Robbie Ray (30, 3.5)
Zack Greinke (38, 3.5)
Marcus Stroman (30, 3.4)
Alex Cobb (34, 3.1)
Wade Miley (35, 3.1) -- club option
Merrill Kelly (32, 3.0) -- club option
Anthony DeSclafani (32, 3.0)
Tyler Anderson (32, 2.8)
Jon Gray (30, 2.7)
Michael Pineda (33, 2.5)
Alex Wood (31, 2.5)
Andrew Heaney (31, 2.5)
Rich Hill (42, 2.4)
Yusei Kikuchi (31, 2.2)
Danny Duffy (33, 2.2)
Steven Matz (31, 2.1)
Dylan Bundy (29, 2.1)
Johnny Cueto (36, 2.0) -- club option
Kwang Hyun Kim (33, 1.8)
Garrett Richards (34, 1.7) -- club option
Brett Anderson (34, 1.5)
Corey Kluber (36, 1.5)
Matt Harvey (33, 1.4)
Zach Davies (29, 1.4)
Drew Smyly (33, 1.3)
J.A. Happ (39, 1.1)
Michael Wacha (30, 1.1)
Martín Pérez (31, 1.0) -- club option
Trevor Cahill (33, 0.9)
Wily Peralta (33, 0.7)
Tommy Milone (35, 0.6)
José Quintana (33, 0.5)
Aaron Sanchez (29, 0.4)
Vince Velasquez (30, 0.4)
James Paxton (33, 0.4)
Mike Fiers (37, 0.3)
Chi Chi González (30, 0.3)
José Ureña (30, 0.3)
Jon Lester (38, 0.3)
Carlos Martínez (30, 0.3) -- club option
Chris Archer (33, 0.2)
Cole Hamels (38, 0.1)
Ervin Santana (39, 0.1)
Jhoulys Chacín (34, 0.1)
Sean Nolin (32, 0.1)
Justin Verlander (39, 0.0)
Noah Syndergaard (29, 0.0)
Wade LeBlanc (37, 0.0)
Ivan Nova (35, -0.1)
Thomas Eshelman (28, -0.1)
Matt Moore (33, -0.2)
Jordan Lyles (31, -0.2)
Jake Arrieta (36, -0.2)
Chase Anderson (34, -0.4)
Tanner Roark (35, -0.7)
Matt Shoemaker (35, -0.7)
Julio Teheran (31, -0.9)
Mike Foltynewicz (30, -1.1)
Félix Hernández (36, N/A)

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

@Planet Houston  I was told that last night by someone who had spoken directly to Crane, and when I said Astros organization, it was Crane's own words. Supposedly Correa has gone to 3 or 4 doctors about the issue. As we learned with Aiken, the Astros aren't going to invest in someone they think is damaged goods.

If I get more information about it I will let you guys know. I have 2 other sources outside the organization that I can get info from through my family.

It certainly sounds like something Crane wants to be out there

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

On that note, I can’t recommend enough catching a couple of Hooks games. Great stadium, be sure to order a whataburger. I’ve watched so many big out guys come through there. 

it’s just a great field 

Or Sod Poodles...LOLz, sort of.  The Hooks play up here in Amarillo and we have a damned nice facility is all I'm sayin.  Give a shout if any of y'all are ever up here( most likely on the way to NM or CO)

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

lineup:

Marte-8

Altuve-4

Tucker-9

Marcus S- 6

Yordan- Dh

Bryant-7

Bregman-5

yuli-3

Machete/Castro 2

Marte’s not going to pull $30MM per year.  That’s insane.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Marte’s not going to pull $30MM per year.  That’s insane.

He was a 5 or 6 war player and you look at his career and it’s been really good in a sneaky way. I imagine he’s on a short-ish deal. I have no idea what he willl actually get. What do you think. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He was a 5 or 6 war player and you look at his career and it’s been really good in a sneaky way. I imagine he’s on a short-ish deal. I have no idea what he willl actually get. What do you think. 

I feel $15-$20MM  per year is the ballpark range. He made $12.5 this year.  $30MM is for the uber elite, not good steady performers.

I also see the 5.0 WAR on baseball reference, but I have no idea how they came up with that number.  The last time he had a WAR of 5.0 was 2015.  Highest in the last five seasons is 4.0 back in 2018.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I feel $15-$20MM  per year is the ballpark range. He made $12.5 this year.  $30MM is for the uber elite, not good steady performers.

I also see the 5.0 WAR on baseball reference, but I have no idea how they came up with that number.  The last time he had a WAR of 5.0 was 2015.  Highest in the last five seasons is 4.0 back in 2018.

He’s averaged over 3 war per year and is coming off one of his best years of his career. He’s been pretty durable other than 2 years. If war is truly worth 10/per on the open market he’s worth 30 million a year on a short deal. Maybe he gets 80 or 90 but over 4 or 5 years with the idea that the back year or two likely isn’t that good. 
I have no real feel for this stuff and am surprised all the time with who has to sign a 1 year deal and who gets locked up long term. 
Bryant is a good example- I was surprised to see that the guess on him was 6/146 or something like that. He’s 29 so I figured someone might give him an extra 2 years -  but I don’t really know. 
mused to be whatever you guessed was gonna be low bc the money got stupid. That hasn’t been the case lately so who knows. 
my point in doing that is to show that if we got creative we could sign 3 all star high impact guys and assemble the greatest roster ever. To. If money that wasn’t productive coming off the books. Other contracts that are decently large money that you don’t strictly need and could trade and get better (Brantley as a slap hitter was maybe our 5th or 6th best hitter- that dude could get upgraded for sure, Odo and Baez fall in the not needed camp- graveman I think gets 12-15 million total on his next contract (over 2 or 3 years) I wouldn’t pay that for him I don’t think. If we roll it back but with kids replacing correa and don’t make any big upgrades elsewhere I will know this team is through winning World Series. I wish I trusted click like I did The last regime. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.